PDA

View Full Version : Which Army should I play?

Ranwulf
22-11-2009, 10:39
So I really like Close Combat fightings, but I really can't decide which one should I play, I mean I love wolves, but I'm also looking for an army that have a "Paladin" feel. So which one you guys think its best for me?
Grey Knights, Black Templars, Space Wolves or Blood Angels?

Leviro
22-11-2009, 10:44
Grey knights are quite expensive, money wise, because theyre based on metal models. I think that Black templars fit into the Paladin category best.
Also, are you new to wargaming in general (and painting) because if you are Id suggest thinking about colour schemes, and which army is the easiest to paint.

Rusty Initate
22-11-2009, 11:54
i voted Black Templars they are based on crusading knights so can give you that "paladin" feel also there colour scheme is simple and if you don't like there colour scheme you can make you own

Dark angels are also based on knights but they are more a shooting army than close combat

also theres nothing stopping you using more than 1 codex for marines (just don't use 2 in the same battle)

PrivateLucky
22-11-2009, 14:39
The only problem with Black Templars is that black is hard to highlight. It shouldnt matter much if you dont care about painting but for those that do....

Urath
22-11-2009, 14:58
The only problem with Black Templars is that black is hard to highlight. It shouldnt matter much if you dont care about painting but for those that do....

Bah, man up lad!

Harms66
22-11-2009, 15:23
I vote Black Templar, but I agree with the earlier comment black can be hard to highlight, plus it boring.
I started a Templer based Chapter sometime ago, but choose a different colour scheme, Scaly Green and Bone.
I would suggest picking the background of the Chapter you like and then created your own colour scheme, bring your own personality into your Chapter.

qwertywraith
23-11-2009, 00:52
Black isn't too hard to make look alright, it's just black is black. There are way to many black armies and they usually end up looking the same: dark and boring. If you want to do Black Templars, use a mix of 50/50 black-codex grey as your "black", or even black/blue (and highlight with blue). Of course, you could just use the Black Templar's rules and paint them red and white or something. Make your Paladin's bright!

The rules for Templar's are Paladin like, but they are also zealous witch hunters. If you can get the upgrade sprues they really do look Paladin like.

Also be advised the Templars are up for a redo sometime in the relatively near future. Blood Angels are actually pretty strongly rumoured to come out after Nids and then maybe Templars.

Sorros
23-11-2009, 01:14
For highlighting black, you can just use a very dark grey or blue. I also find yellow to be far harder/worse to paint, much more so than any other colours, aside from white.

Templar are cool, and Wolves are CC oriented. I would say Wolves for the better CC in general, but since theyre the new codex, they have a lot of players. So for a lesser-played, and imo more unique, go with Templar.

laudarkul
23-11-2009, 12:27
Black Templars or Blood Angels. I prefer BT since I like their look and their fluff (they descent from Dorn, one of my favorite Primarch).

Count de Monet
23-11-2009, 12:35
Black armies can be done very well. If you don't want to do black, you can always do another Imperial Fists successor that uses the BT rules with a different color scheme. Like the "Cerulean Templars"http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v449/PsychosisPC/40K/Cerulean%20Templars/?start=0

LonelyPath
23-11-2009, 15:01
I had to go with the Grey Knights. Nothing says cc better than WS5 and S6 ccws across the army :)

Rusty Initate
23-11-2009, 16:10
I had to go with the Grey Knights. Nothing says cc better than WS5 and S6 ccws across the army :)

i disagree re-roll all misses in combat on everything with a weapon skill except neophytes is better imo :evilgrin: (this includes drednoghts as well ;))

HsojVvad
23-11-2009, 16:17
Just rememeber if you are going to do BA, there will be a new codex next year for them. It would be good to get started now, but some rules or units can change and could screw up your army, so don't set an army in stone that you like. I say GK, awsome looking models, but expensive $$$ wise and points wise.

darker4308
23-11-2009, 16:19
I'd say blood angels get some stuff together for the new codex. There is some stuff they obviously arn't going to make redundant like assault marines and rhinos.

barlio
23-11-2009, 16:21
I voted Space Wolves since the book is still relatively new, great minis, and lots of fluff to read. Grey is really easy easy to paint and you have lots of SW specific sprues and bits.

The Red Scourge
23-11-2009, 17:05
Grey Knights will give you access to all the cool stuff that all the other marine chapters can't get. Like inquisitors assassins and imperial storm troopers. Instead of having an army of generic power armors colorcoded for your convenience, you'll get an army with diversity in models :)

Aubec le noir
24-11-2009, 16:02
GK because they are one of the most beautyful miniature range of all GW
Aubec :chrome: