PDA

View Full Version : Heroquest, any good?

Ozorik
23-11-2009, 17:39
I played this game extensively when I was wee but is it actually any good once nostaligia is removed? I could get it from Ebay for 20 or so and my wife and I are currently in a board game phase so should I?

lanrak
23-11-2009, 17:51
Hi Ozorik.
Normal Hero Quest is exelent fun if you have the right amount of alchahol first! :D

I still have my original copy, and after we become too enebriated to play 'serious games' (4 pints +) Hero Quest is just perfect!

Happy Gameing,
Lanrak.

x-esiv-4c
23-11-2009, 17:59
It's a great game. You'll find many warseers here started off their gaming hobby with heroquest.

Bregalad
23-11-2009, 18:14
maybe Warhammer Quest is more fun, but I didn't play Heroquest.

SamVimes
23-11-2009, 18:15
I had never played heroquest before, but got it on ebay for $20 on a whim. We had just finished up a lengthy descent campaign and were in need of something much lighter. I was afraid that the game wouldn't have any depth and would be pretty bland, but we had an absolute blast playing it. The heroes didn't work together and we got seriously creamed, so it goes to show that you can't win the game if you aren't paying attention. There might be a couple of sticking points in the rules (like how often heroes can search for treasures), but it really makes for an enjoyable hour or so of playing.

AndrewGPaul
23-11-2009, 18:36
I never liked the way that all monsters have only one hit point. It didn't seem right, that the mighty Gargoyle was as weedy as a Goblin.

Shadowheart
23-11-2009, 18:43
HeroQuest isn't a battle of wits kinda game, but in terms of entertainment it's still highly servicable. And in terms of presentation I think it's awesome. The story, artwork and miniatures are all very atmospheric and characterful.

So yeah, 20 is totally worth it. I wouldn't shell out for the more expensive expansions, but you can't go wrong with the main game.

Edit: I'd recommend looking up the US rules, which are a bit more challenging for the heroes (multiple body points for the monsters, for instance). Or you could look at the homebrew rules people have come up with, or of course make some of your own. It's a very easy game to tweak.

Ozorik
23-11-2009, 20:26
It's a great game. You'll find many warseers here started off their gaming hobby with heroquest.

Like me :)

I have found the US version on the internet which has harder monsters but I'll still get a copy of the Uk vesion (it will cost me much less :) )

Irisado
23-11-2009, 22:05
Heroquest is great entertainment, but the Monsters are all quite weak in the UK version, until you get to some of later expansions, such Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar.

Advanced Heroquest, which can also be played on the Heroquest board, is much more challenging though, and some of the scenarios, particularly those found in old issues of White Dwarf, were very difficult for the heroes indeed in my opinion.

There are a fair number of websites dotted around the internet associated with Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest, some of which can be found in the Heroquest & Advanced Heroquest thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137613) if anyone is interested.

Bloodknight
23-11-2009, 22:28
HeroQuest isn't a battle of wits kinda game

It is for the bad guy. If you just throw your monsters at the heroes, they are not going to even get into trouble. If you actually look at what you do and use some tactics you can give them a hard time with their quest and a lot more tension and excitement. On occasion you can even win and kill them all ^^.

That said, I played a campaign with a few friends a couple of months ago and it was still great.

Dai-Mongar
23-11-2009, 23:26
(like how often heroes can search for treasures

This is where having multiple sets can be fun - add in a few extra traps and wandering monsters to the deck now and again to keep them on their toes!
I view HeroQuest as a basic tool for dungeon crawling adventures. You can very easily add a bit more complexity, extra monsters, magic weapons or whatever without much trouble.

SamVimes
24-11-2009, 00:37
It's not the ratio of monster to treasure cards that's the problem. The problem is that the best opportunity for the heroes to gain rewards for little risk is in the first room or two of an adventure.

(Should mention I have the US version. Multi-wound baddies are actually quite scary to deal with.)

e2055261
24-11-2009, 00:37
Hero Quest and Space Crusade really got me started in gaming. I have some very fond memories of both and am quite disappointed with myself for giving them away.

I had all the Hero Quest expansions - the game was too easy for the characters without these - and a kit to make your own adventures!

Twenty quid seems a bit expansive. In Aust. they couldn't give it away towards the end of its production. From memory, they were selling it for about $20 (about ten pounds).

Dai-Mongar
24-11-2009, 09:28
It's not the ratio of monster to treasure cards that's the problem. The problem is that the best opportunity for the heroes to gain rewards for little risk is in the first room or two of an adventure.

(Should mention I have the US version. Multi-wound baddies are actually quite scary to deal with.)

Ah, of course. My house rule is that you can only search a room or passage once for treasure before having to move on.

Daniel36
24-11-2009, 10:16
For 20 bucks, you should definitely get it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it for more! >_<

I only played it like once when I was younger, but I found it very enjoyable.

Bloodknight
24-11-2009, 22:52
My house rule is that you can only search a room or passage once for treasure before having to move on

I always thought that was the rule...but then, I was probably influenced by the excellent Hero Quest version on the Amstrad CPC that would only let you search once for treasure and once for traps.

Twenty quid seems a bit expansive.

20 quid is ridiculously cheap nowadays. Take a look at the price the expansions fetch today. You're lucky if you get the wizards expansion under 50 Euro.

DarkReaver
25-11-2009, 02:20
Ah HeroQuest. A fantastic game. Back in the day of Amiga's my dad and I had a program someone made which allowed us (easily) to make our own adventures. As we got into Warhammer and got Warhammer models we gradually added the Fantasy models in and made up rules as we went for more fun.

Grab it I say, and get any of the expansions for it too it you can.

Sleazy
26-11-2009, 12:57
still have my copy and 2 expansions ( return of the witch lord and kellars keep) and it still plays great. Advanced is also good but a lot more complex - tho its handy your HQ characters can migrate across.

Some of the minis have seriously dated but you can easily use WFB figs if that bothers you.

Get it!

The boyz
26-11-2009, 13:39
Just another thumbs up for HQ, from me. I've played it quite a bit since I bought a copy of it from ebay. I think its a great game to play and would certainly recommend it. The evil characters, like others have mentioned, are a bit weak. But, other then that its a joy to play.

I've also got a copy of AHQ and WHQ to try out at some point. Although so far, I haven't found the time to get them out and give them a go.

Wicksy
26-11-2009, 13:58
I ran Heroquest games up until a few years back. I used to mod the monsters though. I'd give them all better hit points and defense. That way the heroes had to be smart and not just charge in and kill the lot.

Space Crusade though is a game i'd recommend. My mate picked up a mint copy for 2 quid at a boot sale. We play that more than the 3rd ed Space Hulk!

LonelyPath
26-11-2009, 23:16
HeroQuest (and Advanced HerpQuest) are games I've played on and off since their nitial release and are both worth getting your hands on. Unlike most though, I was not a fan of Warhammer Quest, I found it to watered down after AHQ.

Definately worth getting HQ for 20 bucks though.

canucklhead
26-11-2009, 23:47
Wow, I'm totally the opposite of LP. I found HQ was ok for a bit, but suffered from repetition, while WHQ was brilliant, especially in its advanced RPG version, with the expansion warriors.

Had to love the OGRE. He could go to any location, because who's going to stop an Ogre. And there was a chance he might actually benefit from it.

'Oi went to da Runesmiff tuday. E' put a clever bit 'o swirlies on me Club'

Sleazy
27-11-2009, 08:57
I think Lonelypath is referring to Advanced Heroquest which I think was more involved than WHQ.

I never played WHQ though.

Supremearchmarshal
27-11-2009, 13:34
All three are great games IMO, though I like AHQ the most.

WHQ has much more customizable heroes, but I prefer AHQ because it's grittier and more tactical. And it's one of the few games where henchmen are vital to the heroes success!

Jedi152
27-11-2009, 14:51
HeroQuest is good fun. I'm looking at getting a set and maybe updating the models.

I've got Space Crusade, but i don't remember enjoying it as much.

Partisan Rimmo
27-11-2009, 23:01
Hey

Heroquest is a lot of fun, if quite predictable. Things tend to end up with the heroes just running down the corridors hacking at things, but somehow it all still works.

Recommended.

Grapeshot
28-11-2009, 05:33
I still have my copy of Heroquest and AHQ. My friends and I had so much fun out of them.