PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike Info

Ph4lanx
27-11-2009, 10:57
So I've been playing 40k for a while (took a small break), and came back to find Planetstrike is out.

Now, believe it or not, but during my gaming sessions, Planetstrike hasn't come up once. Apocalypse has, and as such I've bought both books for this, as I like the idea of fielding larger armies.

Is Planetstrike more of a normal (say 2,000 points) game, but with useable defences? Or is it more on Apocalypse scale?

Mort
27-11-2009, 11:20
Its normally played at the "normal" points range, say 1500 to 2000 pints, although you can play it with more or less points as well or combine it with Apocalypse for really big battles.

Game-wise there are major differences to normal games, like a load of options like orbital strikes, meteor showers and stuff like that to choose from on the attacker side and bunkers, AA guns, minefields and similiar stuff on the defenders side.

Furhtermore, there are different FOCs for the Attacker / Defender and some new rules like deepstriking units able to attack after deepstriking.
Nice to play overall, although i dont have the impression its as balanced as the "normal" scenario game.

Corrode
27-11-2009, 11:23
I would actually say it's better played at 2k-2.5k points, purely because that way you actually get to make some real use of the expanded FoC. Having a ton of HQ/Elites/Fast Attack sounds great as the attacker, until you realise that really making use of it (i.e. having 3 HQs and 4+ Elites for example) is a serious point sink which at 1500 is a bit constraining.

I do love Planetstrike though, I must get around to buying a couple more Bastion-type things so my girlfriend and I can play at home.

Ph4lanx
27-11-2009, 11:38
Thanks for the info guys. I must admit, the gamestyle of it doesn't really suit my army it would seem (Droppod army), but I can see the merit. However I do love the scenery they're making for it, so I might just buy some to use in normal games and Apoc :)

Keebrev
27-11-2009, 14:35
The scenery is not too expensive and the games are usually a lot shorter then regular games. Planetstrike is the gametype I play most these days.

susu.exp
27-11-2009, 20:55
Thanks for the info guys. I must admit, the gamestyle of it doesn't really suit my army it would seem (Droppod army), but I can see the merit. However I do love the scenery they're making for it, so I might just buy some to use in normal games and Apoc :)

What do you mean "doesnīt really suit my army"? A SM force making planetfall in Pods is pretty much exactly what an attackers army looks like (IMHO). The scenery of course is more a defenders forte (though there are rules for dropping bastions as well - and of course you can play a counterassault force - some units set up in bastions to take the attackers innitial attack and then the rest of your army drops in to relief them).

Itīs a rather cool expansion, with a very different tactical approach to standard games. Apoc can become a big slugfest with little tactics - for PS you have to re-think how you play somewhat.

Imperius
28-11-2009, 00:25
In my own opinion Planestrike is a one versus one game and it is superior to the normal game system.
It feels good to have 2.5k armies finish a game in the time it would take 1.5k armies to play a normal 40k one.

The only thing I don't like about Planestrike is:
Firestorm (The attackers preliminary bombardment) is much more powerful than the defenses arrayed before the invaderss.

susu.exp
28-11-2009, 00:41
I donīt think it is. Then again, this may be a question of the terrain avaiblable. Note that the defender sets up all terrain and itīs not only about the bastions, but also hills, rivers, woods... Put enough difficult and dangerous terrain around the defense perimeter and youīll have attackers either taking some more time to get to you, or suffering losses even before the defenses fire.

BTW, thatīs another great thing about PS: It encourages terrain building and to some degree coming up with your own scenarios.