PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most un-common?

hendybadger
29-11-2009, 11:34
I have just started up a gaming club that plays mainly 40k.
There are afew different armies but nowhere near all of them.
So I was wondering.
What are the most un-common armies out there?
Normal and Themed.

Thanks

Ivellis
29-11-2009, 11:49
Dark Eldar Wych Cult, Pure Grey Knights, Daemons.

Dribble Joy
29-11-2009, 11:51
DeffWing (not as rare as it was, but still uncommon).

hendybadger
29-11-2009, 12:11
What the Deffwing?
Daemons are quite popular around here.
And theres 1 GK force. But only because Im building it

Grom Wronghand
29-11-2009, 12:16
I've never seen any Dark Eldar force. Like, EVER. Not a single model.

Necro Angelo
29-11-2009, 12:21
contrary to what I've read on warseer and other wargaming forums, there is a distinct lack of eldar armies in my local GW's. (usually just me, sometimes one other guy)

you have to bear in mind that a lot of people claim to play an army, but they rarely use it/paint the models and they'll use their main army (usually space marines) 90% of the time as its the one they started with and they just got drawn in to others. this is why collecting more than army is bad, as it means generally you'll end up with several incomplete armies where you could have one, nicely painted complete army with options.

hendybadger
29-11-2009, 12:25
I know what you mean. But sometimes other units are just so pretty.

LonelyPath
29-11-2009, 12:33
Well, for where i live among the armies I see I would say that Eldar, Dark Eldar, Daemons and Necrons are the rarest as they're the only ones I never see people playing these days.

Onisuzume
29-11-2009, 12:40
What the Deffwing?
Mega-armoured orks.
Lots of them.

Anyway, I can't remember seeing someone playing with Dark Eldar.

hendybadger
29-11-2009, 12:44
Ive only ever seen 1 DE force. but that was about 4 years ago

marv335
29-11-2009, 14:56
Pfff, At my ex-local club, regular codex marines were the least common, but there were 5 DE players

rabblerouser
29-11-2009, 15:01
necrons

don't see too many of them

Tae
29-11-2009, 15:01
Our group seems to have almost all of them represented at least once.

Off the top of my head I think we have about 6/7 Marine armies (2 of them being of the non-blue variety), a couple of Guard armies, 1 sisters, 1 GK, 2/3 Daemons, 2 Tau, 3/4 Eldar, 1 Necron, 1 Nid and 1 DE.

I've actually been considering this very question myself as I prefer to play armies that no one else does and are different, but so far (with 40k armies) have drawn a blank. All the armies seem to be either played already or so similar to each other as makes no difference, unlike WFB.

SonOfSquee
29-11-2009, 15:02
At my local store there is only one tau player and no blood angel players. There is about two of at least everything else.

Kirill
29-11-2009, 15:04
Pfff, At my ex-local club, regular codex marines were the least common, but there were 5 DE players

So tell me, just quickly, how do we get to bizzaro world? :p

I think some of the rarest would include any really themed dark eldar, since most lists that work, as i understand it lack direct, and powerful theme and / or fluff.
I think Iron Hands would be fairly rare. Poor brothers.
Alpha legion and Word bearers too.. No cultists or decent daemons really hurt those two.

Shifte
29-11-2009, 15:09
Glasgow has 3 or 4 regular DE players. More than the vanilla marine players.

Thud
29-11-2009, 15:12
Necrons and Sisters of Battle are the least common on these parts.

Draxonicar
29-11-2009, 15:36
I bet radical daemonhunters are the least played, your getting 1 mediocre unit as opposed to all the grey knights....no comparison, GK top them.

Which is why radicals are so rare!

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2009, 16:00
FW Guard. I've never seen a full army of them. I have seen DE, strange DH builds, and most of the other rare ones, including squats.

317 different flavours of marines don't count, even the far too rare fully painted in the chapter colours of the special character they're using...

Hero adamite
29-11-2009, 16:07
Daemons, Daemonhunters, Dark Eldar, Necrons

the1stpip
29-11-2009, 16:07
Witch and Daemon Hunters and Necrons.

Never seen Deffwing (although I have considered it) or Ravenwing

Sorros
29-11-2009, 16:17
I've seen deffwing in what I am pretty sure was an apocalypse battle, or at the very least a massive point sink vs fully tank guard (though there were no superheavies). So many tanks and so many strong orks=many points.

We have a DE player, and I may switch over to them for their highly competitive darklance/disintegrator spam :p We have a couple of Necrons and Eldar. I have yet to see a fully GK force, though I have seen them as allies with Witchhunters. SoB are also rare, seen them only once or twice.

I have never seen a guard army using rough riders or ratlings :(

Hadafix
29-11-2009, 16:32
Most of the 40K forces are played, at least occasionally where I play. Not Squats though, but then they are nid fodder. DE I would have to say is the rarest to see.

hendybadger
29-11-2009, 17:06
And you have reset the clock again. 5 years and counting

SirSnipes
29-11-2009, 17:26
custodes.............

DuskRaider
29-11-2009, 17:52
At my store, there's two Tyranid players, three Space Marine players, three IG players, four Chaos Space Marine players (myself included), two Tau players, a Grey Knights player, two Witch Hunters players, two Daemon players (myself included), an Eldar player shows up occasionally, and I'm the only Ork player.

And yes, we do occasionally bring multiple armies with us. We're insane, lol.

Shiodome
29-11-2009, 17:55
most uncommon would be a non vulcan marine list.

Light of the Emperor
29-11-2009, 17:58
We actually have a decent mix of armies at my FLGS. Most common, obviously, are marines. Thankfully, all the marines are quite varied amongst both chapters and overall build.
We do have eldar players but they aren't seen too often. Dark Eldar always make appearances at tournaments. There is a necron contingent as well.

For rarest armies, I haven't seen a pure Sisters of Battle force in a long time. Black Templar don't come around too often either.

Imperius
29-11-2009, 19:12
My gaming 'club' has 8 players. :p.
I could say alot of armies are the most 'uncommon' seeing as we all collect 1 or 2 Warhammer armies each.

Mosedeke
29-11-2009, 19:24
Of all the uncommon things at mine, it's Orks. I have only seen one guy play them before, for one game. Not sure how we have everything else BUT them.

We have 3 vanilla Marines, 1 Black Templar, 2 Space Wolves, 2 IG, 2 Eldar and one guy starting them, 2 Necrons, 1 Chaos Marines, 3 Tyranids, 1 Dark Angels, 1 Daemon Hunters, 1 Sisters of Battle.

Seen Dark Eldar a couple times at other clubs, but they're a bit of a drive away so I rarely go to them.

Bloodknight
30-11-2009, 15:09
In my environment: loyal Space Marines. No joke.

big squig
30-11-2009, 15:12
In my area, Tau and Tyranids.

Purge the Heretic
30-11-2009, 15:34
Its a very localized phenomenon you are asking about, if you are asking for overall your going to need to get a hold of the sales numbers...since 2nd edition.

In Monterey California, We seemed to be missing Dark Eldar, orks, an I was the only sisters of battle player, (and at the time I was working on a black templars force, so was using them as allies mostly.) and just one tau that I remember.
Not many nids either that I recall.

However here in Layton Utah, there are 2 Dark Eldar forces, 3-4 Sisters of Battle, Many ork forces, Way too many tau. only one daemonhunters player.
I don't think I've seen chaos demons here yet.

Lord Solar Plexus
30-11-2009, 15:39
DH, DE, and Marines are quite uncommon in my neck of the woods although I've dusted off my SW and a friend is starting UM.

bossfearless
30-11-2009, 15:40
Aside from the VERY brief period at the start of 3rd ed when I tried to collect them, the Dark Eldar have been a complete no-show. I've seen them on the table maybe 3 times in all my years playing, and only actually faced them once. The one time I did face them, the player cheated pretty significantly by ignoring all the rules in the game he didn't like, and claiming it was just a DE thing. It wasn't. From what I have heard they're very powerful if you take them in certain configurations, but for the most part it's all so crappy that nobody plays them.

AndrewGPaul
30-11-2009, 15:57
Glasgow has 3 or 4 regular DE players. More than the vanilla marine players.

Is that GW Glasgow? Our club appears to have an Ork, a couple of Imperial Guard (although I think one has Sisters, too) and a Marine player, possibly two.

blackcherry
30-11-2009, 17:22
Inqusition forces or Tau for us, though we have a nice spread of armies really with most different types being owned by at least one player.

Arakanis
30-11-2009, 17:28
You know what I never see? Saim-hann all Jetbike lists. Two autarchs on Jetbike, 6 squads of Jetbikes and 3 squads of Vypers. That would be a rare list to see.

From Shadows
30-11-2009, 17:51
Dark Eldar, GK, Witch Hunters. For Very rare.... radical Inq, Adeptus Mechanicus, Wych Cults, Renegade forces.

Brother Gathurn
30-11-2009, 18:05
dark eldar due to there relic of a codex, not to many people play necrons, and blood angels arent all that common either, and next would porbably be tau, why i cant imagine they have an awsome codex and almost as good fluff.

DeadlySquirrel
30-11-2009, 20:39
Where I live, Orks are really rare. But rarest is radical Inquisition and non-codex marines.

Skellan
30-11-2009, 21:03
Here is a fellow who charted out the different armies from the 2008 UK GT season.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tombworld4/pages/popularity.html

spetswalshe
30-11-2009, 21:07
I'm surprised at Orks being mentioned so often, they're a fairly recent codex and the AoBR set should bring in some players. Daemons I can understand, the codex is competitive but they're a bit dull and not many of them are carrying shootas.

I've often thought of starting up whichever army is most under-represented, but I just can't bring myself to start Dark Eldar. The models are just horrible, and the codex literally contains less pages than a leaflet I got on sexual disease. I was tempted to use Eldar rules (and converted models), but using Guardians as ablative armour for a heavy weapon feels wrong.

Epicenter
30-11-2009, 22:51
Radical Daemonhunters (0), Dark Eldar (0), Tau (0) locally.

So tell me, just quickly, how do we get to bizzaro world?

Bizarro love Space Marines! Me not own five Dark Eldar armies!

Oguleth
30-11-2009, 23:14
Vanilla SM, CSM, Eldar, Necrons and Imperial Guard are the armies I see around these parts the most. I haven't seen any of the inquis armies for years, anywhere, nor have I seen a Dark Angel or Blood Angel army recently either - so I guess all of those will have to be the least common.

Quite funny, seems to be waves when it comes to what people play around here - sometimes noone plays MEQs and we drown in Eldar, or GW decides to hype up marines and you can throw a rock into the crowd in the club and hit at least 5 marineplayers.

mightymconeshot
01-12-2009, 00:55
i would say any forge world varient. have yet to met one.

mafty
01-12-2009, 03:08
I play at 2 different places, and neither place has:

Dark Eldar
Sisters of Battle
Daemonhunters
Chaos Daemons

and Im the ONLY Eldar player at both places, and people were extremely surprised the first time i brought eldar in saying how its a rare army to see (which made me lol inside because Eldar are super popular on many forums)

The Ginger Ninja
01-12-2009, 07:35
the place i go to i have never seen
-DE
-Inquisition
-SOB
-Daemon hunters/Grey Knights
-Tyranids
By far the most popular is Ultrasmurfs, but maybe thats because its for under 18 year olds, IE 9-14 year olds. Black reach stuff is by far the most common

marv335
01-12-2009, 08:01
So tell me, just quickly, how do we get to bizzaro world? :p

I think some of the rarest would include any really themed dark eldar, since most lists that work, as i understand it lack direct, and powerful theme and / or fluff.
I think Iron Hands would be fairly rare. Poor brothers.
Alpha legion and Word bearers too.. No cultists or decent daemons really hurt those two.

Where I play we have mainly veteran players.
In the hands of a skilled player the DE are very hard to beat.
Powerful armies are popular.

We have at least one person using Alpha Legion too, he uses summoned daemons as cultists. It works quite well.
I'm using Orks, as does another guy, We have a couple other chaos armies (marines and daemons)

Kirill
01-12-2009, 08:30
Where I play we have mainly veteran players.
In the hands of a skilled player the DE are very hard to beat.
Powerful armies are popular.

We have at least one person using Alpha Legion too, he uses summoned daemons as cultists. It works quite well.
I'm using Orks, as does another guy, We have a couple other chaos armies (marines and daemons)

I've noticed that dark eldar can be very dangerous myself, played against them only once, really, and that was a hard game, but in the end i did get smushed, i'd say anything with real deep theme would be hard come by though.

Give the guy props from me, i'd love an alpha legion army!

I'm also surprised at how many times orks have been mentioned, they're a great army, i've only played them once, but they were a blast!

marv335
01-12-2009, 08:51
Well Orks are at the same time a fun army and a powerful army.
They theme well, and it's hard not to make a good army with them.
That's why they're popular
Some armies can be weakened by running to a "fluffy theme", Orks tend to be strengthened.

genestealer_baldric
01-12-2009, 10:27
there are a few necron players sticking it out despite every week getting wiped out by turn 3 or even 2. The most common by far is marines 95% games are marines iam one of the only players who rarely plays SW becuase they are so boaring, and uses all kind of xenos.

Lord Solar Plexus
01-12-2009, 11:23
Well Orks are at the same time a fun army and a powerful army.
They theme well, and it's hard not to make a good army with them.
That's why they're popular
Some armies can be weakened by running to a "fluffy theme", Orks tend to be strengthened.

As it should be. Exactly as it should be.

Vaktathi
01-12-2009, 11:28
I haven't seen a Blood Angels army using the actual BA rules in..a very long time. DE are very rare but I see them about once every 6 months or so, likewise with Daemonhunters. Chaos Daemons aren't too common but also aren't unheard of. I'm the only IG player at my FLGS, we had like 5 show up at the May tournament and then none since then for events or normal play.

We have tons of Space Marines/Space Wolves and CSM's. Eldar aren't uncommon, Tau and Necrons are seen, as are Orks. IG tend to be high profile because I practically live at the game store but that's about it. WH are around, as are Tyranids.

brightblade
01-12-2009, 13:36
Dark Eldar and demonhunters are the rarest here. Sisters are not uncommon. Necron and Tau are occasional. We do obviously have mainly marines, orks and guard. Tyrannids are lurking in the background and I think there will be a little outbreak in the new year.;)