PDA

View Full Version : Marine Termiantors

jaws900
30-11-2009, 09:11
Now i don't know about anyone else but i love them. I think almost everyone does and i always try to work atleast 1 unit into my army however i have come across some people who seem to use nothin but Terminators. I was wonder how is this possible. yes i do exadriate a little as they often have atleast a Landspeeder, Attack bike etc but those are all Fast attack. Now i know that the Wolves can have all Termy armys but i'm confused on how normal marine armys can have as i can only find 1 case when they can take 1 unit as troop choices (Kahn or Captain on bike to take bikes as Troops) but i can't find anythign else. Even Krator can turn Sternguard into scoring untis but not troops. So am i missing somehting here or is there a snkeey way of getting that amount of terminators on the field and still be legal?

Ravensgard
30-11-2009, 09:19
as far as I know, if your not playing apocalypse or planetstrike, your opponent must field two troop choices which usually aren't terminators (except with the exceptions of space wolves with logan grimnar and other special characters)
If I'm wrong, please tell me cause then i to can go for an all terminator army

Artois
30-11-2009, 09:25
Picking Belial for HQ in a Dark Angel army allows you to take Terminators as Troops. You could field 2 5-man squads of scouts as the troops and then pick 30 terminators and split them inte combat squads. That would give you 6 units of terminators.

Rusty Initate
30-11-2009, 09:27
dark angels can field death wing armys and raven wing armys or a combination of both normal marines can't have terminators as troops but can use all 3 elite slots and combat squad them into 6 squads 5 man squads

Nakor
30-11-2009, 09:31
Dark Angels Deathwing?

jaws900
30-11-2009, 09:46
haaaa. that would eb it. I knew he used a sertain Hero but couldn't remember tha name of the top of my head. I might go by the Dakr Angels codex to have a lot at his rules and maybe try to work him in ors as Artios said i could field a small group of scouts X2 and then get 3 Termy's (6 in combat squads). Thanks a bunddle.

leonmallett
30-11-2009, 10:44
The Dark Angels approach allows a lot of flexiblity in squad selection, and Belial is a very cheap character points-wise.

It is a tricky army to use at times due to the low model count, but pretty enduring.

Petay1985
30-11-2009, 11:03
Also taking Logan Grimnar in the Space Wolves codex allows you to take Wolf Guard (veterans) as troops, all wolf guard can have Termiantor Armour at a price.

Decius
30-11-2009, 12:48
My friend has a Deathwing army that he uses to good effect. It's a very compact army, I can tell you that. :p

jaws900
30-11-2009, 13:37
I mgiht think about having 2 groups of Scouts(snipers) and then have 1 large group of Assault Termiantors on foot with a Libarian and then teleport the rest of them in.

Onisuzume
30-11-2009, 13:53
Afaik, the snipers would be mostly a waste of points.
Assault Terminators almost always need a delivery system like a land raider to be effective. Gate of Inifinity could work, but would still be risky and it allows your enemy a turn of shooting at the termi squad.
And teleporting the other two squads can be risky since they can get lost, teleport into difficult terrain/enemy units, or simply not turn up at all.

Leviro
30-11-2009, 14:55
the snipers would be mostly a waste of points.

Sniper rifles are free. I think theyre really good for mobile armies cause they can pin threatening units.

I sometimes use a squad of terminators with storm shields just to take heavy-weapons fire, theyre very hard to kill. Also if your just taking two scouts scuadss you might be lacking on capturing objectives.

With this army you could deep strike the terminators, pin the nearest units with the snipers and assault next turn.

jaws900
30-11-2009, 15:16
ithink the idea might be for the snipers to sit on objectives while the Termys contest. I was goignt to use some snipers for support fire (As you can't get much better support for small enought points (Where talking atleast 300pts for Marines to do the same job and that not counting upgrades) and maybe a Heavybolter for support too (Telion if i can find points as well).
I would have the Assult Termys teleport nice and close while have a 50/50 mix so the shiled take the hits while the claws dish them out (3+Invun is way better than 5+)

Murrithius
30-11-2009, 15:31
I've tried scout snipers, and to be honest, they did a much better job outflanking and hitting people across the head with the butts of their rifles, than they ever did with shooting them. If you want to take scouts, leave them with ccw's, or give them shotguns, and let them outflank.

Bunnahabhain
30-11-2009, 16:58
Sniper rifles are free. I think they're really good for mobile armies cause they can pin threatening units.

And a single squad of Guardsmen can sweep all before them in close combat, but I really wouldn't rely on it happening very often....

BigBadBull
30-11-2009, 19:29
Scouts in the Dark Angel Codex are Elites so if you want all Termies..
you can have :
6 5 man Squads each with 1 Heavy weapon as troops
3 5 man Squads each with 1 Heavy weapon as Elites...

Reaven wing bike squads ( with support add'ons that don't count towards total) and Assault squads are the the only FA

Scouts also don't have homers or teleport beacons.. on the the Ravenwing bikes...

DeadlySquirrel
30-11-2009, 19:54
On the subject on scouts and lacking objective taking units, why not put them in a landspeeder storm?

Yea, its been said but Dark Angels can do it.

jaws900
30-11-2009, 20:13
as a cowincidence i use at in my 1000pts force which contains a Redeemer, Assault Termys, Caplain combo and needed to keep the my troops protected i gave them a Storm and a Rhino(For the Marines).