PDA

View Full Version : Using alternate miniatures??

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
30-11-2009, 17:50
Some days ago I checked in to perry miniatures and was wondering if I should find some new, nice models for my growing Warhammer collection. After looking both at 'English Civil War' and 'Scottisch Civil War' I got stuck in the Crusade range. After seeing 'Kingdom of Heaven' I was a great fan of the Crusades and thought "What about having these in my collection?"
I was especially looking at the armoured crossbowmen, if I gave them Pavises I could use them as mercs in my armies. Should this be legel in game terms, and is the scale right?

For looking:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Cheers
//Hrokka

S_A_T_S
30-11-2009, 17:58
As long as you're not taking them to a GW run tournement (you'd need to check with organisers of any other tournies) and they are on the right sized bases for the model you are using them to represent, I see no problem.

Wil Grand
30-11-2009, 18:01
Now, you do know that Kingdom of Heaven is set just prior to the fourth Crusade and the Perry Range is first?

Scale is a funny thing with Historicals - some aim for 25mm tall, some for 28mm. The issue is then that within one company they may even then tackle different hieghts - Warlord Romans are much shorter than the tall Celts - both on either side of the 26.5mm devide.
Perry's scale is generally the same as their LotR range with a bit of heroscale - basically half way between GW's more realistic models and the LotR.

Legality; you wouldn't be able to use them in an official tournament and depending on manager you wouldn't be able to in a GW Shop either.

willowdark
30-11-2009, 18:04
KoH is set in Jerusalem after the first Crusade when Saladin recaptures the city and expels the crusaders.

Wil Grand
30-11-2009, 18:29
Tell a lie, it's just prior to the third. Saladin Conquered Jerusalem in 1189, the first crusade was in 1095-1099, Arcording to the book at my left shoulder anyway.

willowdark
30-11-2009, 18:38
I'm curious about where the line is drawn between one crusade and the other. I knew that the first Crusade was successful and that we held the holy city for a hundred years, so when does the second crusade officially take place.

I'm not being argumentative. You said you had a book in front of you. I'm genuinely curious.

Wil Grand
30-11-2009, 18:54
The first crusade officially ended according to historians when Jerusalem fell after a siege and was occupied by the crusaders, the second began in 1147 when news that reached the Pope that Muslim had armies seized Edessa and the third when Jerusalem fell to saladin - the beginning was the attempt to take it back, enter Richard the Lionhart.

Personally, I tend to think in terms of the crusades either pettering out after certain events - the armies don't really leave or step down so it's hard to say specifically. Beginnings are when something specific makes the Pope call one - News of Saladin taking Jerusalem and calling a crusade to take it back.

To be totally pedantic KoH isn't wholey set during the crusades, but partially at the end as soon as the city is surrendered. You even see Richard Lionheart on his way at the very end.

mrtn
30-11-2009, 19:49
I've not heard about any tournaments in Sweden that was GW only. Knock yourself out!

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
03-04-2010, 10:57
Hello again, stumbled over some great minis yesterday...
Anyone who knows if they are same scale as GW-minis?
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Celt_Warband_Box_Set

yabbadabba
03-04-2010, 10:58
I think they are the standard historical 28mm as opposed to GW's heroic 32mm.

Sleazy
03-04-2010, 11:08
No problem at all from me, I often grab minis from other ranges if I prefer them. My beasts have Rackham centaurs as I prefer those to "centagors".

I have been painting some Spartans from BTD, probably just use them as DoW.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
03-04-2010, 11:11
I know from experience it is company policy to not allow the use of non GW minatures in their stores. Obviously this isn't a problem if you don't game there but if you attend veterans night regularly say, I would reconsider.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
03-04-2010, 11:21
The nearest GW store lies in Gothenburg, 156 miles from here... So no, I won't play at a GW-store...

Kugruk
03-04-2010, 15:45
The nearest GW store lies in Gothenburg, 156 miles from here... So no, I won't play at a GW-store...

Sounds like we're in the same boat. No GW shops anywhere close to atlanta :(

Histeria
03-04-2010, 21:02
Same here, 200km to the nearest on in Helsinki.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
30-04-2010, 16:22
Cheers once again!
Found this one and wonder if it's warhammer scale:http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/crusader/sku-down/14269

Also, I can't find anywhere if its metal or resin...

Desert Rain
30-04-2010, 21:52
Reaper minis are roughly the same scale as warhammer, perhaps a tiny bit smaller but that's not something you'll notice, at least I don't.

And reaper minis are made of metal.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
04-06-2010, 20:08
Sorry to bump in again, but this time it's not about a mini.
Someone who've shopped from Bits and kits?
www.bitsandkits.co.uk

Cheers, Hrokka

logan054
04-06-2010, 20:55
never used them, i tend to use bits shops on ebay

Ozorik
04-06-2010, 21:07
The scale of the Perrys miniatures fits in well with GW's minis, they are nearly the exact size of the older metals that the Perrys did for GW, slightly thinner but not noticeably so.

My own Empire army consists of 1 GW warrior priest, 1 GW mortar and the rest are from the Perrys War of the Roses range.

Symrivven
04-06-2010, 21:11
I shopped at bits and kits once, everything went exactly as its should be. They shipped it to NL without any problems.

Alltaken
04-06-2010, 21:32
any one have an idea for a good Treekin alternate?

ivrg
04-06-2010, 22:20
Im from Sweden to and in tournaments here the only demand is that your minis are painted and based. I think its really stupid if non-GW tournaments ban other than GWs minis...

But make sure your opponent know what your minis are.

Chiron
05-06-2010, 01:37

A stick on a 40mm base

If your feeling really flush with cash, stick a Dryad or two on there

Sadesuteku
05-06-2010, 01:43

Try Reaper miniatures.

Astafas
05-06-2010, 06:35
If you wanted something completely defferent you could always try one of those wolfen from confrontation... maybe paint if up like its carved from wood or something...

As for using them in tournies and such? Do it. Check with the store owner / tournie organiser but most inependants wont care as long as your stuff is based appropriately, you can tell what it is, and its painted - and if GW wont let you play then stuff em they dont run most of the tournies anyway

logan054
05-06-2010, 08:56
A stick on a 40mm base

If your feeling really flush with cash, stick a Dryad or two on there

Maybe a few sticks stuck together would be better ;)

scarletsquig
05-06-2010, 09:01
Maybe a few sticks stuck together would be better ;)

I dunno, all that extra glue usage sounds a little too expensive for me.

And the base? I'm not sure what luxurious life you're living Chiron, but there's no way I'm paying for one of those, much cheaper to cut a 40x40 square out of a cereal packet.

Now if only I could afford the scissors and the cereal.. this hobby just gets too way pricy sometimes.

Sleazy
05-06-2010, 10:10

how about the old citadel/marauder tree men? They are about minotaur sized.

logan054
05-06-2010, 10:23
I dunno, all that extra glue usage sounds a little too expensive for me.

And the base? I'm not sure what luxurious life you're living Chiron, but there's no way I'm paying for one of those, much cheaper to cut a 40x40 square out of a cereal packet.

Now if only I could afford the scissors and the cereal.. this hobby just gets too way pricy sometimes.

why not draw a treekin on the bit of card, better yet, just write treekin on it!

Chiron
05-06-2010, 10:41
why not draw a treekin on the bit of card, better yet, just write treekin on it!

Have you seen the price of ink these days? :eek:

bigG
06-06-2010, 10:50
gripping beast have just released plastic vikings, 44 models £18, command bits,bases, half can be built as spearmen with shields, half as sword or axe and shield and they do deals on multi-buys of three or five boxes.
these guys, along with perry war of the roses models are going to become most of my new empire army for 8th ed WFB, possibly middenheim or stirland, plus there are some good cannon models in the war of the roses range and mounted characters and gob loads of vikings and saxons at gripping beast .
both these ranges ar going to be expanded with saxons in plastic and a more european armed box from the perrys (pike,handgun,crossbow and pavise).
don't know about cavalry yet.
BG

Ozorik
06-06-2010, 14:51
The Perrys are supposed to be releasing men at arms (both foot and mounted) for their WotR range which should make excellent knights and greatswords.

Dont you think that Vikings and late medieval infantry would look a little out of place in the same army?

Culsandar
06-06-2010, 15:47
That Perry line has nice looking crusade knights, I'd like to get some. An interesting Cavalry army to say the least.

However I would like it if unit champions and commanders were actually Templars. Anyone know where you can find them in 28mm?

Bodysnatcher
06-06-2010, 15:58
Anyone used Mantic models? Looking at the coolness and cheapness of their skellies and elves....

theorox
06-06-2010, 16:53
OMG, you have to have your models all painted in tournies? That...sucks!

:D Theo

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
06-06-2010, 18:46
OMG, you have to have your models all painted in tournies? That...sucks!

:D Theo

Amen!:D:D
Since I don't go to tournies I actually don't have to paint anything:p

Bodysnatcher
06-06-2010, 19:17
Amen!:D:D
Since I don't go to tournies I actually don't have to paint anything:p

Shame to miss out on half the hobby though :D

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
06-06-2010, 19:19
If you've got enough friends, you don't need tournies:D
Although, I was sarcastic;)

Red Metal
06-06-2010, 19:26

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/tree/latest/14504

They might be just a bit larger than a GW Dryad, but with some added bits from some of the WE sets, you could bulk them up. Otherwise, I'm considering just using bulked-up Dryads to represent Treekin. It should kind of tie things together visually, as they would be advanced/older Dryads, but it does completely ignore the fluff for Treekin. Which is fine by me...

Bodysnatcher
06-06-2010, 19:55
If you've got enough friends, you don't need tournies:D

I meant the painting.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
06-06-2010, 20:02
I meant the painting.

I paint when I want to:D Did it sound like I didn't paint at all?:D

bigG
06-06-2010, 23:05
The Perrys are supposed to be releasing men at arms (both foot and mounted) for their WotR range which should make excellent knights and greatswords.

Dont you think that Vikings and late medieval infantry would look a little out of place in the same army?

it don't matter much, with the different provinces or head swaps and a cohesive paint scheme it should make quite a head turner and i can't wait to pit them against some mantic orcs later this year or early next
BG

logan054
06-06-2010, 23:15
Have you seen the price of ink these days? :eek:

Compared to GW prices these day, chunks of Gold seem cheap, i guess you could alwats use a pencil and that way you could change you army and reuse the same bits of paper!

Now so my post isnt totally OT i will reply to OP, i think its great to use models from other companies, what it does is makes you army look unqiue, for me i had a thought about using Rackham wolfem as either Dragon ogres or minotaurs, im using the named wolfen as a Varg but if i decide to use wolfen as dragon ogre i might also use him as a shaggoth!

By using models from other suppliers i have save so much money, like my VC, if i hadnt bought it from mantic i simply wouldnt have bothered, on the budget i now have it would have taken far to long to actually get a army together.

Rhaivaen
07-06-2010, 01:44
How would one go about converting or what would be a good alternative brand model for a Beastmen Cygor?
that question would include a Jabberslythe and a Ghorgon..

thnx in advance..

Naeni
07-06-2010, 08:20
Anyone used Mantic models? Looking at the coolness and cheapness of their skellies and elves....

Yeah!

I've just took advantage of the 60skellies for £30.... awesomeness.... and they have clippy bits at the hip so they feel less brittle... They have groovy extras too! Would definately recommend, excellent company. You also get a cool box you can store them in, and a poster! And loads of fluff!

Have a load of the ghouls too, they're also awesome!

Well I have no intention of going in a GW in the forseeable future let alone playing there, and because of my leave from work I can either get into tournaments, or festivals, and this hobby has sucked enough of my life there's no way I'm giving up festivals, so the odd small tournement thats not GW, and allows me to use my army. Hoorah.

I have a tonne of mantic, most of the vamps are reaper, one is hasslefree... sorry I just can't justify paying loads for models I'm not that keen on when theres so many awesome manufacturers out there.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
20-07-2011, 20:10
Anyone have seen any AK-47 armed minis out there, that could pass as stalkers in a Metro 2033 universe?
And minis that could go well in any post-apocalyptic universe?
Cheers ;)

El Antiguo Guardián
20-07-2011, 20:17
Yeah!

I've just took advantage of the 60skellies for £30.... awesomeness.... and they have clippy bits at the hip so they feel less brittle... They have groovy extras too! Would definately recommend, excellent company. You also get a cool box you can store them in, and a poster! And loads of fluff!

Have a load of the ghouls too, they're also awesome!

Well I have no intention of going in a GW in the forseeable future let alone playing there, and because of my leave from work I can either get into tournaments, or festivals, and this hobby has sucked enough of my life there's no way I'm giving up festivals, so the odd small tournement thats not GW, and allows me to use my army. Hoorah.

I have a tonne of mantic, most of the vamps are reaper, one is hasslefree... sorry I just can't justify paying loads for models I'm not that keen on when theres so many awesome manufacturers out there.

All my VC army troops are from mantic games. Well, not varghulf, charriot, étc, but yeah lots of miniatures (zombies, ghouls, étc). Now i´m in a torney (leage style) and no one said something bad to me (And also i used 20 zombies as ghouls, xD, 40 on my first battle xD).

Theofrastus Bombastus
21-07-2011, 02:42
Anyone have seen any AK-47 armed minis out there, that could pass as stalkers in a Metro 2033 universe?
And minis that could go well in any post-apocalyptic universe?
Cheers ;)

Like these?

http://www.lead-adventure.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=0fbb5cb2ed548fde9b90e419ee06bfd6

Razaan
21-07-2011, 06:25
I love my reaper minis in my Bretonnian army. I've got two of them and the scale seems to be pretty spot-on.

]]

Jedi152
21-07-2011, 09:37
Please don't revive year old threads unless you can significantly add to the discussion.

New questions warrant a new thread starting.

Thread Closed.

Jedi152
The WarSeer Moderation Team.