PDA

View Full Version : GW Stevenage

MistaGav
30-11-2009, 17:18
Apologies if this is a random post but I'm just excited to hear my town finally has a GW! Just got off the phone with my step mum and she mentioned it, checked the news and it opened this saturday just gone so well chuffed. Means I can get some more game time during the christmas period when I get home! :D

OutOfContext
30-11-2009, 17:46
I will share you happiness, now is Spirites finally get a GW :D

Oh happy days!

Cuchulain84
30-11-2009, 18:31
Where abouts in Stevenage is it out of interest? (Not that i'll ever go)

blongbling
30-11-2009, 19:34
http://tinyurl.com/yzd258d

Cuchulain84
30-11-2009, 19:38
http://tinyurl.com/yzd258d

I think you misread my post. I actually live in the Stevenage area.

Irisado
30-11-2009, 21:31
The arrival of a GW store would be the only reason I would set foot in Stevenage ever again (no offence intended to those who live there, I just don't like the city centre).

I'm rather surprised though, since I would have thought that the proximity of the Luton and Cambridge GW stores would have made such a GW store unnecessary, especially given that independent stockists in Letchworth have folded in recent years due to lack of business.

MistaGav
30-11-2009, 22:22
I didn't realise Luton and Cambridge had one now too. I mean I agree Stevenage is a pretty dire town to be in, theres just something about it that's depressing but maybe it's because of being in Chester for a good 3 months now.
It's just nice to know after all these years of being in the hobby it finally has one so it gives me something to do during the christmas holidays and a chance to test out my christmas presents ;)

Irisado
30-11-2009, 22:30
I didn't realise Luton and Cambridge had one now too.

Both of those towns have had stores for years. I'm old enough to remember when the one at Cambridge was located down by the river (it's moved at least a couple of times since then).

The Luton store was also where I played my only game in public ever, and I also won a Bugman's Mug through being the closest to guessing the correct number of stands to fit into an Imperator Titan.

Ah the nostalgia....

In spite of the proximity, a store in Stevenage would be good for me, as when I am at home it is much easier for me to travel there than it is to Luton and Cambridge, so it is more convenient, I'm just so surprised that GW would want to build a store there for the reasons I've already given, but then GW's logic rarely matches mine.

It's just nice to know after all these years of being in the hobby it finally has one so it gives me something to do during the christmas holidays and a chance to test out my christmas presents ;)

Which I think is very good news for you, and I hope that you get the chance to make the most of it.

sigur
30-11-2009, 22:51
Congrats to you. :)

I remember when the first GW store in my country opened a few years ago. I was really excited.

Now, after four or five years, I still haven't played a single game there. :p

Dai-Mongar
01-12-2009, 00:40
Still no store in South Island NZ... :(

Wednesday Friday Addams
01-12-2009, 00:42

That's because nobody lives there.

Jonathan =I=
01-12-2009, 01:31
And there all preoccupied with sheep.

Dai-Mongar
01-12-2009, 04:53
That's because noboddy lives there.

And there all preoccupied with sheep.

At least we can spell. :D

Son of the Lion
01-12-2009, 07:40
.....Hey-Oh!

Jim
01-12-2009, 10:32
I thought the GW in Luton closed some years ago??!!

*runs off to check GW Store Finder*

Jim

PS Well done getting a store in your home town - I still remember the day GW Kingston opened which meant no more epic bus journeys to Hammersmith - Bliss!

Edit: Indeed Luton is no longer open - from memory it closed about 2-3 years ago. Nearest is now the new Stevenage store or maybe Hemel or Bedford depending where you are.

Wednesday Friday Addams
01-12-2009, 10:35

That of course was on purpose......to umm oh this is embarrassing...
At least we have Games Workshop.

Wil Grand
01-12-2009, 10:41

It's because the wargamers of NZ see Battlefront as a point of patriotism and any red shirts would be chased into the sea. It's only due to the LotR (which of course is an NZ invention) that any GW staff don't get crucified on the roof of BF towers.

Irisado
01-12-2009, 11:22
I thought the GW in Luton closed some years ago??!!

That shows you how often I go to the centre of Luton!

I haven't bought an issue of White Dwarf for quite some time as well, so that's my excuse for why I didn't know ;).

GW Cambridge is definitely still open though, but if Luton closed a while back, then that explains why there would be perhaps more demand for one in Stevenage.

ChrisMurray
01-12-2009, 15:03
GW Cambridge is definitely still open though, but if Luton closed a while back, then that explains why there would be perhaps more demand for one in Stevenage.

Yep definately still there, unless it's shut since last week. It's much better than the old store locations too with a downstairs gaming room (7 tables if I remember correctly) and 4 (I think) on the "store floor".

Good to hear of a store nearby though, might pop in and see what it's like. Now if only Sawston or Saffron Walden would get a store.

GavT
02-12-2009, 08:58
As a Stevenage lad, I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, as a teenager I always thought there should be a GW in Stevenage, like most folks think their town should have one. Looking back though, going to GW was always a day trip to Luton (not so fun), Cambridge or London and part of the experience. There was a hobby shop and a games store for most stuff, but heading out on the train to the 'proper' GW was always an event for me and my regular gaming buddy. Going to London was usually the best - GW, comic shops and music shops on a mad spending spree.

I suppose I should pop in and say hello to the store guys next time I'm visiting my folks.

GAV

Irisado
02-12-2009, 21:01
As a Stevenage lad

That's something I didn't know about you from White Dwarf ;).

Looking back though, going to GW was always a day trip to Luton (not so fun), Cambridge or London and part of the experience.

I never went to a GW store in London, but I remember getting a lift with a friend and his parents to Luton on a few occasions, but I never did like the place, although the store wasn't too bad.

I always used to enjoy visiting the Cambridge store more, particularly when it was located by the river, and the train journey to Cambridge always had some level of mystique about it for me, even in recent years, so I understand the point you are making.

e2055261
03-12-2009, 05:23
Is steam town in Stevenage? Who needs 40k when there's steam engines aplenty!