PDA

View Full Version : Ork Hulk (Orks in Space Hulk)

HaunterV
19-12-2009, 07:32
Updated!: 01/12/2010: Orkz for use in the Stealer perspective are near complete! check out the rules and give me some feedback please!

Imperial Guardsmen (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4238901&postcount=20)/Inquisitorial Troopers

We're talking about Veterans here, not your ordinary guardsmen right off the line that is still struggling to make it past his 1st fifteen hours. Spacemarines admire the tenacity of guardsmen from deathworlds, such as the armageddon orkhunters, catachan jungle fighters, cadian karskin, these are the best of the best. The heavy armoured (carapace) well equipped (Hellguns and more) shock troopers that were probably being sent in as a probe by an inquisitor.

IMO Lasguns and IG in cc would have to treat GSs as broodlords in CC in that they have to get to "killshots" in a row. or you introduce stealer armor saves since its always been what? 5 or 6+ and bolters ignore that due to AP nowadays or armor modifiers back in the day. You would also take twice as many models per scenario so 5 terminators would be 10 guardsmen

The Eldar (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4234317&postcount=1)/Dark Eldar

I thought up some rudimentary striking scorpion rules the other day I think the mandibles would act like storm shields for the 1st round of CC only and not to mention all the SSs have chainswords (Parry) and a pistol (Shuriken Pistol 12 1d6 6+ Overwatch, cannot damage doors). being eldar i'd say give them 5 AP as well.

Howling banshees, much the same but they are armed with power wepons and the shout which i say acts as CC jam when they charge a GS in CC. Given the power of the wail I'd say that you would put a Jam counter next to the HB model for a full turn after use. though the use of CPs could in theory be used to remove the counter (2cp?)

Orks:

It's been well documented that Orks will travel over the vast reaches of space on board the odd Space Hulk singing loudly about going "Too da' Waaagh!". This is one of the prime reasons Hulks are immediately set upon once detected, Chaos incursion and Genestealer infestation being the other two primary reasons. Then there are the other lesser known reasons such as the potential for a necron tomb ship being one of the conglomerate ships, corsairs, rouge trader outpost, etc...

Rules for Ork use:

Blips ork blips have 5 ap until they are flipped over and converted to boys.

Git Stukk in boyz! Orkz can not lurk and can not go on overwatch

Easily Distracted Orks often get bored and as such I have decided to give them all variable AP per turn.

Dem Armor boyz is hard to kill Unless otherwise stated Terminators are treated as having the hard to kill rule when Vs orks.

Lootaz Orks are cunning and as such often can be seen using looted wepons, Said weapons no longer have the option of reloading, and a jam results in the weapon exploding, killing the unit and every other on the same tile on a 4+

Boss Bonus Functions like combat veteran

Waaagh! 2AP
The warboss can shout Waaagh at any time creating 1d3 blips that are removed at the end of the turn on anything but a 6+.

Revealing the Warboss Functions just like Revealing the Broodlord rule

Barely a nuisance; Units with this rule can be dispatched in close combat instantly for the cost of 1 AP/CP

Vents & airducts Units with this, are allowed to move through airducts if they are present in the mission.

Go to ground; Being as the corridors of a hulk have many nooks, and crannies to hide in if the # of gretchin in LOS of a terminator is reduced by 50% or more they must take a rally test at the start of the ork phase If Any of the affected Gretchin are within LOS of an Ork. If the rally test fails or there is no Ork present (Within LOS) then the remaining Gretchin go to ground and are never heard from again by either party. (Potential for a "Grotz revenge against the Orks" scenario?)
Gretchin removed from play in this manner do not count as being killed for campaign scoring purposes.

Small; Small models can share squares with other small models.
Blips can move through a square with only 1 small unit on it while still following standard Blip movement rules.
Friendly units can move through a square as long as it is only occupied by one small unit.
A blip once revealed will treat adjacent spaces occupied by small units as an empty space removing them in favor of the newly placed model unless it too is a small model and the square is currently occupied by a single small model.(Orks won't blink at stepping on/over gretchin to 'git stukk in' faster).

Ork Units:

-Boys;
3+1D3-1 AP
Roll 1D6 to see what mob of Boyz the blip is coming from.
{1-3} CC 2D6 if armed with slugga and choppa
{4-6} CC 2D6-1 if armed with Shoota
Shoota 1D6 kill on a 6+ (Terminators are treated as having the hard to kill rule) Jam, sustained fire
Slugga 1D6 kill on a 6+ (Terminators are treated as having the hard to kill rule) range 12

-Nobz;
Nobs can not appear from 1 point blips.
2point blips create 1 nob.
3 point blips create 1 nob and 1D3-1 boyz
3+1D3-1 AP
CC 2D6+1
Boss Bonus,

Power Claw When converting to a nob, roll a D6 on a 6 the nob may have a power claw. Power claws ignore the "Dem armor boyz is hard to kill" rule.

-Warboss;
(Revealed same as Broodlord)
4+1D3-1 AP
CC 2D6+2

Boss Bonus, Mighty Blow, Waaagh!,

-Wyrd Boy
Psyker 15 Psi points when orks are being played From the Terminators perspective.
Psyker 6 Psi points when orks are being played from the Genestealers perspective.
1D3+1D3-1 AP
CC 2D6-1+Forcepole
Force Pole; Functions like Librarian force axe

Boss Bonus Functions like combat veteran

Psychic vomit; A potentially powerful psychic attack Choose to use before rolling the range of the attack
Cost 1AP range1D6+1D3-1, destroys on a 4+
Can only be used once per turn

Immune to psychic storm

-Gretchin/Grotz; I think these could be used as an alternative to summoning boyz. The number one the blips would instead would summon 1D3+1 Gretchin.
5-1D3 AP (minimum 1 AP)
CC Special

Small, Barely a nuisance, Vents & airducts, Go to ground

Grotz in CC: A Grot has no hope of defeating a terminator in close combat unless he is extremely lucky, however they can be a slight nuisance. Grotz that attack a Terminator and by some miracle win the combat must then roll a 6 in order to kill the terminator, (He gets him in the eye or some other such nonsense)

Bonus Ork Rule:

Not really fitting for the Genestealer perspective, not really tactically effective imo but might be fun to experiment with.

-Stormboyz (No, Orks wouldn't let the fact that they are indoors stop them from using the rokkit strapped to their back and personally I think we can come up with some hilarious mechanics to go with this.)
1D6-2 AP

FASTA!; one time only (per model) the stormboy may activate his rokkit. Which allows him to move the full 6AP, If he chooses to do so roll a D6
1 the ork is surrounded in a cloud of smoke and LOS is blocked (considered a persistent effect)
2-5 Rokkit functions normally (As normal as can be for something ork made)
6 the ork activates his rokkit and slams into a bulkhead/the ceiling and explodes in a flamer template. Killing on a roll of 4+

This is what I have so far so please by all means help out in any way possible.

Other Rules and Ideas that are bubbling in my head would be things like: there's a tombship as part of the Spacehulk or an inquisitor is infact ordering an assault on a Tomb ship and either wraiths would being the 1st to leap to the defence would lead the charge against intruders, Battle sisters and their penchant for flamers, An inquisitor retinue, A "stop the ritual!" type scenario that involves chaos daemons bearing down on the intruders, and so on...

ecurtz
19-12-2009, 18:13
In my mind one of the biggest strengths of Space Hulk is how streamlined the rules are. I think you should reduce the variety of Boyz to the bare minimum that you can while still keeping their essential orkiness intact.

I'd try to limit it to something like
Warboss
Regular Boyz or Nobz
WeirdBoyz
Grotz

With a couple weapon variants for the Boyz, so they were of similar complexity to the Marines.

Here are some sample rules I posted for Weirdboyz over at BGG. As was correctly pointed out there, my knowledge of the 40k fluff is totally out of date. But I think the basic idea of having custom psi powers for each race is a good one.

-------

I think the best thing to do would be to update the other races to the streamlined 3rd Edition psychic rules. Give them each their own specific psychic powers to match your preferences and the fluff. Here's some untested / unbalanced ideas from my long morning bus ride. It's been a long time since I read any 40k materials, so my fluff may be out of date.

Ork Weirdboyz
The typically unhinged Ork brain makes them easily susceptible to influence from the Warp. Those boyz just crazy enough to accept the influence without losing their minds completely become the Weirdboyz, psychics as powerful and destructive as those of any of the more civilized races.

Psi Points
Weirdboyz use psi points for their powers in the same manner as Marine Librarians with the following exceptions.

Warp Chosen
Orks are too stupid to create psychic weapons like the Force Axe, but Weirdboyz strong affinity for the Warp seems to protect them from harm. A Weirdboy may change any die roll which would otherwise kill the Weirdboy by spending 2 psi points per point of adjustment. This may not be used for attack, only defense, so close assault rolls may only be increased to ties.

Minderz
Weirdboyz get their psychic energy from the massed emotion of the Ork tribe. A Weirdboy loses 1 psi point per space between him and the nearest of the boyz at the end of each Ork turn. A lone Weirdboy will lose all psi points.

Psychic Powers
A Weirdboy may use his psychic powers in exactly the same way as a Marine Librarian (My new House Rule is that this costs AP equal to the PP cost, but the original rules are that this requires no AP and may take place at any point during the Ork turn.)

Lookie See'er
The Weirdboy peers beyond the physical world extending his vision into the strange parallel universe of the Warp. The Weirdboy may extend his LOS through one blocking door or model, any blips exposed are subject to immediate involuntary conversion. This power costs the Weirdboy 1 psi point.

Mad Killaz
The Weirdboy focuses his psychic energy back into the tribe making them even more crazed and bloodthirsty. Any of the boyz within 4 spaces of the Weirdboy may make an extra 1 AP ranged or close assault attack immediately. This power costs the Weirdboy 2 psi points.

Hed Sploder
The Weirdboy releases a giant, unfocused wave of psychic energy in all directions. Any model or blip within 1 square of the Weirdboy is destroyed on a roll of 4+, 2 squares a roll of 5+, and 3 squares a roll of 6. This power costs the Weirdboy 3 psi points.

HaunterV
20-12-2009, 01:19
In my mind one of the biggest strengths of Space Hulk is how streamlined the rules are. I think you should reduce the variety of Boyz to the bare minimum that you can while still keeping their essential orkiness intact.

I'd try to limit it to something like
Warboss
Regular Boyz or Nobz
WeirdBoyz
Grotz

With a couple weapon variants for the Boyz, so they were of similar complexity to the Marines.

Here are some sample rules I posted for Weirdboyz over at BGG. As was correctly pointed out there, my knowledge of the 40k fluff is totally out of date. But I think the basic idea of having custom psi powers for each race is a good one.

-------

I think the best thing to do would be to update the other races to the streamlined 3rd Edition psychic rules. Give them each their own specific psychic powers to match your preferences and the fluff. Here's some untested / unbalanced ideas from my long morning bus ride. It's been a long time since I read any 40k materials, so my fluff may be out of date.

Ork Weirdboyz
The typically unhinged Ork brain makes them easily susceptible to influence from the Warp. Those boyz just crazy enough to accept the influence without losing their minds completely become the Weirdboyz, psychics as powerful and destructive as those of any of the more civilized races.

Psi Points
Weirdboyz use psi points for their powers in the same manner as Marine Librarians with the following exceptions.

Warp Chosen
Orks are too stupid to create psychic weapons like the Force Axe, but Weirdboyz strong affinity for the Warp seems to protect them from harm. A Weirdboy may change any die roll which would otherwise kill the Weirdboy by spending 2 psi points per point of adjustment. This may not be used for attack, only defense, so close assault rolls may only be increased to ties.

Minderz
Weirdboyz get their psychic energy from the massed emotion of the Ork tribe. A Weirdboy loses 1 psi point per space between him and the nearest of the boyz at the end of each Ork turn. A lone Weirdboy will lose all psi points.

Psychic Powers
A Weirdboy may use his psychic powers in exactly the same way as a Marine Librarian (My new House Rule is that this costs AP equal to the PP cost, but the original rules are that this requires no AP and may take place at any point during the Ork turn.)

Lookie See'er
The Weirdboy peers beyond the physical world extending his vision into the strange parallel universe of the Warp. The Weirdboy may extend his LOS through one blocking door or model, any blips exposed are subject to immediate involuntary conversion. This power costs the Weirdboy 1 psi point.

Mad Killaz
The Weirdboy focuses his psychic energy back into the tribe making them even more crazed and bloodthirsty. Any of the boyz within 4 spaces of the Weirdboy may make an extra 1 AP ranged or close assault attack immediately. This power costs the Weirdboy 2 psi points.

Hed Sploder
The Weirdboy releases a giant, unfocused wave of psychic energy in all directions. Any model or blip within 1 square of the Weirdboy is destroyed on a roll of 4+, 2 squares a roll of 5+, and 3 squares a roll of 6. This power costs the Weirdboy 3 psi points.

Some pretty sweet additions/ideas. I've since streamlined the list, Snotlings are more like powerfields or equipment that can move around as opposed to actual units.

Now I think points costs need ot be figured out so playtesting can begin.

HaunterV
12-01-2010, 08:45

Just a little thing, The rulebook of Spacehulk is almost entirely directed at the Marine player. But I do agree and have begun to pare down the rules with the help of my friends for playtesting purposes.

My goal is in the end to get two sets of rules for Orks;
1) as replacements for the Terminators since Orks take over hulks all the time and I'm pretty sure it's a fairly messy process.

2) one that uses the orks or gretchin or a mixture of both as the genestealer's replacement and for going up against IG or Battlesisters or regular marines.