PDA

View Full Version : 4th Edition

6th and Final Champion
19-05-2005, 13:18
Im Curious are every and ALL books getting redone? Even the fairly new ones like Necrons? I dont really see what they'd do but if they are getting redone Im looking forward to see what is done.

Lion El Jason
19-05-2005, 13:29
Chaos onwards (incl. IG, =I=DH&WH, SM and 'nids) are all 4th ed codices, the rest will eventually get re-done.

Sgt John Keel
19-05-2005, 17:42
Chaos onwards (incl. IG, =I=DH&WH, SM and 'nids) are all 4th ed codices, the rest will eventually get re-done.

To be correct, only Space Marines and Tyranids are 4th edition codices.

/Adrian

grizzly ruin
19-05-2005, 18:20
Im Curious are every and ALL books getting redone? Even the fairly new ones like Necrons? I dont really see what they'd do but if they are getting redone Im looking forward to see what is done.

There'll always be room for tweaks I think.

Granted it would be far away, but there is a fair bit I'd like to see redone in the Chaos codex.

predatorsown
19-05-2005, 18:45
That book, Chaos Codex, so needs rewriting if only so its an easier read.

Brimstone
19-05-2005, 19:25
To be correct, only Space Marines and Tyranids are 4th edition codices.

Quite true.

All the codices will be redone eventually, I'd be suprised if they were not all revised before 5th edition arrives at some point in the future.

Lion El Jason
19-05-2005, 22:22
The Chaos, IG, and both =I= books were written and released AFTER the 4th ed rules were pretty much sorted. They are considered "4th ed ready" codexes and so will be re done later than others (We assume!)

Interestingly the re-done IG and Chaos lists (And to a lesser extent the re done marine codex) are easily the most powerful lists in 40k. The lists which are very old (Eg Orks) are quite poor in comparison.

mattjgilbert
19-05-2005, 23:25
The Chaos, IG, and both =I= books were written and released AFTER the 4th ed rules were pretty much sorted. They are considered "4th ed ready" codexes and so will be re done later than others (We assume!)
This is how I understood it. There will likely be a couple of quick-fix codices (e.g. Tau which we know about and I suspect Necron will falll into that category). The oldest codices require more effort to bring them in-line. All will get touched at some point though....they always do....keeps up the interest and ultimately, means people spend more money ;)

milmot
20-05-2005, 01:46
All the codices will be redone eventually, I'd be suprised if they were not all revised before 5th edition arrives at some point in the future.

Haha, sorry i find that funny. I'll be surprised if GW managed to get all the codexes redone before they make the decision to change the direction of 40K, whether it be 5th Ed, or completely revamping some rule or another.

Plus the way i see it, GW roughly follows the rule that every second codex is a SM codex. Since its the most popular army...

lord_blackfang
20-05-2005, 06:08

Interestingly the re-done IG and Chaos lists (And to a lesser extent the re done marine codex) are easily the most powerful lists in 40k. The lists which are very old (Eg Orks) are quite poor in comparison.

Seems like 4th ed. will generally be played on a higher power level, judging from the new dexes.

Of course the Thousand Sons rules put a huge dent in the "Chaos=4ed ready" theory...

Serpent
20-05-2005, 06:24
...and the fact that all the FAQ's about the Chaos Codex were deleted when 4th Ed. arrived really makes it "ready for the new game. :rolleyes: The Chaos Codex needs FAQ's the size of a phone catalogue to work properly.

Serpent :)

Lion El Jason
20-05-2005, 11:10
To play Dark Angels I need 2 codexes and 7 pages of FAQs!

boogle
20-05-2005, 11:40
The Necron and Tau were meant to be the 1st of the books designed with 4th Ed in mind, but as the rumours on the Tau Codex getting redone, it would seem that all Codexes will be redone for 4th Ed (with apparently 1 Xenos and 1 Space Marine book getting done per year)

Sgt John Keel
20-05-2005, 11:49

How' s that? The Chaos Codex are two years older than the 4th edition rules. Mind, the 4th edition isn't too dissimilar to the 3rd.

They had to be compitable with third edition, as they were released during it. They cannot have made it with the fourth edition in main focus, and why should they wait two years with a release if it was 'pretty much sorted'. They are 3rd edition codices.

/Adrian

boogle
20-05-2005, 11:50
they were 'meant' to be made with 4th Ed in mind (they said as much in the IG codex)

Sgt John Keel
20-05-2005, 11:55
they were 'meant' to be made with 4th Ed in mind (they said as much in the IG codex)

Remember this was before Andy left? They might have been made for the TAR and TVR possibly, but as present, they don't seem more compitable with 4th edition than the other codices. Remeber they cut the Slow and Purposeful in half with the arrival of 4th ed?

/Adrian

predatorsown
21-05-2005, 17:43
I'd be really surprised if the chaos codex doesn't get a review sometime. There are so many confused rules in it. On the other hand there isn't that much I can see being done to IG codex at all. Probably an update to include the new abhuman doctrines and one or two other things, precise wording on the weapons teams rules to settle a few old arguements as a maybe.

Galadrin
21-05-2005, 18:36
I hope the Necrons get redone in 4th Edition, their list is terrible : (

I dont think there is any other army list out there that is so tactically limited..

Sgt John Keel
21-05-2005, 18:43
I hope the Necrons get redone in 4th Edition, their list is terrible : (

I dont think there is any other army list out there that is so tactically limited..

Genestealer Cults

/Adrian

Lion El Jason
21-05-2005, 19:49
'stealer cults and harlequins arent real.

Chaos & IG were written as re-releases of the 3rd ed books for 4th ed. I think the reason it took so long is that the TAR & TVR were thought to be "it" and in the end...they weren't.

I dont see problems with necrons or tau except 1 or 2 units not so good (Drones&Pariah...)

sulla
21-05-2005, 20:21
Seems like 4th ed. will generally be played on a higher power level, judging from the new dexes.

Of course the Thousand Sons rules put a huge dent in the "Chaos=4ed ready" theory...

Why? Why do chaos cult armies or armies with specific trait or doctrine combinations have to be as powerful as the main list of their respective armies? There's nothing to stop Tzeench players using the main list to make their armies. All they miss out on are 'free' aspiring champs (until they pay for the expensivs psychic powers) and quicker summoning. If they use the main list, they get access to oblits, raptors and almost all of the list as mercenary allies....

Sgt John Keel
21-05-2005, 20:28
'stealer cults and harlequins arent real.

Chaos & IG were written as re-releases of the 3rd ed books for 4th ed. I think the reason it took so long is that the TAR & TVR were thought to be "it" and in the end...they weren't.

Exactly. And during the time they though the TAR & TVR to be it, they wrote the Chaos and IG Codices. Hence my opinion they were written for TAR and TVR but not 4th edition.

/Adrian