PDA

View Full Version : Elevator battle!!

HaunterV
23-12-2009, 19:45
A game like this would be perfect for an elevator battle.

Say the marines are in an elevator and it keeps stopping on every floor for 1D3+2 turns. then the door closes and it proceeds to the next floor and so on and so on until it reaches it's destination.

Note: For those that do not know, a D3 is just a D6 divided by 2 (1-2=1 3-4=2 5-6=3)

To represent the elevator use one of the biggest tiles, The Elevator Door cannot be closed or opened by either side and cannot be destroyed.

The Elevator stays on a floor for 1D3+3 turns then it closes and moves onto the next floor. It takes 1 full turn for the elevator moves between floors.

Example; The First roll is a 2 so the door will be open for 4 (1+3=4) turns.

Turn 1: The marines all go on overwatch/guard or what have you
Turn 2: Stealers charge the marines and the battle is joined
Turn 3: The marines continue to hold out against the onslaught
Turn 4: The marines manage to survive until turn four and the doors close in the mission status phase.
Turn 5: The marines shift position or twiddle their thumbs as the elevator rumbles to the next floor. Any remaining stealers on the previous floor take to vents or run off into the hulk in search of prey
Turn 6: The doors open and a 6 is rolled so the marines have to hold out for 6 (3+3) turns, Hope and prey brothers, the emperor protects.

Now I need to decide if the hallways that the elevator opens onto are randomly generated in some way, or decided already and what a good shape would be.

Door's closing! I already think that this is the one scenario where a door can close on a model. When the turns the door will remain open run out and the door closes any models in the way are crushed with no save. Marines could potentially use CPs to step forward (trapping himself on the floor to make a valiant last stand) or backward (into the relativel safety of the elevator assuming there is room) out of the way of the closing door.

Squad size needs to be determined, Genestealers get 2 blips of reinforcement and 2 starting blips.

Another idea of this mission, could be to use the 4x3 room or just a 3x3 room as the Elevator, and then set up a map from that with no entry areas. The marines have to go in and clear what stealers are on the board, then get back in the elevator. Then you set up another level from it and do the same, clearing as many levels as you can, with there being more opponents the deeper down you go into the heart of oblivion.

Thanks Wilsongrahams for basically compressing everything I meant to say into a small paragraph.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Champer Master Zavian
24-12-2009, 07:15
That sounds cool. I'll playtest that tomorrow and let you know what I think.

peculiar interloper
26-12-2009, 17:52
nice idea

HaunterV
29-12-2009, 01:36
cool i dont havea nyone to playtest with all holidays.

let me know how it turns out.

StefDa
30-12-2009, 18:12
That sounds interesting. Would the 2 starting blips be per floor?

HaunterV
05-01-2010, 10:39
That sounds interesting. Would the 2 starting blips be per floor?

sure why not. and you have to find either double dragon, xmen, or ninja turtles arcade game's soundtracks and play it on loop.

Teufelskerl
07-01-2010, 21:19
An interesting idea to add to the middle of a mission, but limited since it devolves down to the Marine player setting up in OW and shooting, while the GS player charges and hopes for bad rolls on the part of the Marine player. Tactics are not particularly complex.

Add it to the middle of a mission though and it adds some flavor, particularly if you also add in an alternate route the Marines can take, such as ladders/stairs between floors. I can imagine a mission that takes place over 4 floors, the Marines enter on the bottom floor and need to get to the top; they can either try to conga line up some scattered ladders, conga line to the elevator, or scatter and try to make the GS player play catch. If you were to also make all 4 floors "active" at the same time the GS player can get in on the flavor. That way the GS player has the option of trying to out-guess the Marines, bringing in his blips ahead of where he thinks the Marines will be going.

Not everyone could set up all maps at once, of course, but most should be able to at least do one floor and scratch paper for the other three. Left over map pieces could be used to set up things during the transitions between floors perhaps.

Frederich

HaunterV
12-01-2010, 08:04
An interesting idea to add to the middle of a mission, but limited since it devolves down to the Marine player setting up in OW and shooting, while the GS player charges and hopes for bad rolls on the part of the Marine player. Tactics are not particularly complex.

Add it to the middle of a mission though and it adds some flavor, particularly if you also add in an alternate route the Marines can take, such as ladders/stairs between floors. I can imagine a mission that takes place over 4 floors, the Marines enter on the bottom floor and need to get to the top; they can either try to conga line up some scattered ladders, conga line to the elevator, or scatter and try to make the GS player play catch. If you were to also make all 4 floors "active" at the same time the GS player can get in on the flavor. That way the GS player has the option of trying to out-guess the Marines, bringing in his blips ahead of where he thinks the Marines will be going.

Not everyone could set up all maps at once, of course, but most should be able to at least do one floor and scratch paper for the other three. Left over map pieces could be used to set up things during the transitions between floors perhaps.

Frederich

way i figure it is the hallways from the elevator would be like 3-5 tiles large usually a straightaway with either a cross or T intersection for the stealer entry points and I too think all 4 floors are supposed to be active. wat i meant is once the marines go up a floor the floor they just ascended from would vacate or deactivate.

however there are ladder tiles and some are fortuante enough to have vents so those are other options.

like i said its just an idea i felt i'd toss out there

wilsongrahams
13-01-2010, 09:09
Another idea of this mission, could be to use the 4x3 room or just a 3x3 room as the Elevator, and then set up a map from that with no entry areas. The marines have to go in and clear what stealers are on the board, then get back in the elevator. Then you set up another level from it and do the same, clearing as many levels as you can, with there being more opponents the deeper down you go into the heart of oblivion.

HaunterV
13-01-2010, 23:16

My thoughts exactly I just for some reason couldnt word it like that :S

OP updated!

wilsongrahams
22-01-2010, 10:50
Glad I could help. Any luck on this yet?

I haven't played Space Hulk since I tested my Grand Hall from Vengeance of the Blood Angels, and have been keen to see how others are getting on with their missions, which in future I may steal! For the elevator idea, I may combine this into a campaign, with arrival on an open landscape and having to enter the upper levels, then having to go down and clear the levels (Think Aliens the movie without a Thunderhawk til they make one). I may even add a Dreadnought with Assault Cannon to the landing force.
For the first few levels I was planning on having no genestealer reinforcements - being further from the 'nest' but slowly getting more blips on each level, then half way down there are reinforcements arriving mid way through a level and finally the last couple are like standard missions with the broodlord waiting at the lowest level with as many stealers as you can imagine! I think this is the theme you are also thinking of?

HaunterV
22-01-2010, 21:27
well i'm still training my friends on how to play. certain things keep slipping everyones mind and tossing in House rules and the like would just confuse matters further.

But eventually we'll be doin all sorts of crazy stuff.