PDA

View Full Version : New Wood Elf sneak peeks.. Wardancers and Dryads !!!

Kroq
19-05-2005, 15:23
http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/

At the GW UK site. SWEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

Wish the wardancers had more clothes on , for my tastes anyway but sweeet !
All those dryads are just freaking cool !

Brandir
19-05-2005, 15:46
Wardancers are superb. Very dynamic. I like the muscian, using the pommel of his swords as drumsticks.

Jedi152
19-05-2005, 15:50
Wow.

Thats all i can say.

Apart from: If the dryads are asexual forest spirits, why are they wearing loincloths?

Malen Kharn
19-05-2005, 15:51
The dude with the staff is very sweet :) , although the one at the front on the left is a bit suspect looking :mad: .
also, I thought that dryad's were going to be a ranked unit now, glad to see they aren't there. :D

Brandir
19-05-2005, 15:58
There are twelve minis in the Dryad picture. Perhaps this is an indication that there will be twelve models in the box set?

Neknoh
19-05-2005, 16:03
Nice!

Though... I am a bit dissapointet...

Me want Handstanding Wardancers

risK
19-05-2005, 16:50
Wardancers are superb. Very dynamic. I like the muscian, using the pommel of his swords as drumsticks.

Sounds familiar... Look here (http://www.coolminiornot.com/912)

Otherwise:
Sweeeeet
;)

Brandir
19-05-2005, 17:03
Is that model of yours a conversion?

tzeentchgiant
19-05-2005, 17:35
I think that's a conversion, a cool one.

I'm really looking forward to these new guys, can't wait to play against them, I hope it'll have been worth the wait.

TG

NetGuru
19-05-2005, 17:39
I love 'em. The dryads seem to make more sense now they have been photographed in wooded terrain fighting other units.

It makes me wonder how varied you can make the new wardancers, as in this picture i can see two wardancers that are the same (although painted in different colours)

But lets be honest, about 90% of people on Portent will be collecting Wood Elves at this rate with pictures like these! :p

Kroq
19-05-2005, 17:42
The dryad on the far left front , is that an owl on its branch ?
If so , real cool !

boogle
19-05-2005, 17:53
the wardancers look really nice, very dynamic, still won't be buying any though (bloody pointy ears), like the dryads as well

dax
19-05-2005, 18:00
Yep thats an owl wouldn't have spotted that if you hadn't mentioned it. I guess it would be an interesting way of marking a unit champion as I don't see any other way of doing it (that is if dyrads even have unit champions)

boogle
19-05-2005, 18:03
does anyone know if they are going to be Skirmishers?, it would seem that way from the picture

Dr.Mole
19-05-2005, 18:05
The new Dryads are superb. But what I can tell from the pictures I like the real old Wardancer (3th or 4th edition?) more than the new ones.

Brandir
19-05-2005, 18:07
Are we still hoping on a Jul release for the army box then Aug/Sep release for the blisters???

lredman
19-05-2005, 18:27
Sorry guys, think I'm gonna have to buck the trend and say that i'm not sure about these new models.

It's strange really, when i saw the glade guard i thought they were amazing, especially the masks. I came straight on here expecting everyone to be talking about how good they were and no-one seemed to like the masks. Then, i see these models and come straight onto portent expecting everyone to hate them, and you all love them.

*Edit*

Just seen a close up of the dryads in another thread and changed my mind completely! And the glade riders....oh yes! I think i just filled my pants....

Brandir
19-05-2005, 18:34
I wonder how well the Wodd Elves will sell?

Presumably Chaos are the biggest selling line.

But where will the Wood Elves feature in the sales charts, after the initial release fuss???

chivalrous
19-05-2005, 19:15
On the Wardancers, I'm unconvinced by the poses. I see that they're trying to capture the wardances in striking acion poses yet to me the poses don't manage to capture the realy grace and agility of a wardancer.

The Dryads on the other hand are utterly amazing! Very slender and lithe and at the sme time terrifying.

portentjunkie
19-05-2005, 20:41
There are twelve minis in the Dryad picture. Perhaps this is an indication that there will be twelve models in the box set?

I noticed that too, but the wardancers picture also shows 12 models, so I don't think it's significant.

portentjunkie
19-05-2005, 20:42
Hmm, what are the wardancers going to be equipped with I wonder? There are models with two hand weapons, sword staves, and even great weapons.

Drognan
19-05-2005, 20:57
Those models look awesome. I guess I made the right choice on Father's Day/Birthday present.

Brandir
19-05-2005, 21:25
I noticed that too, but the wardancers picture also shows 12 models, so I don't think it's significant.

I counted 11 - three blisters of three and one command of two (leader and musician - I heard that wardancers won't have a banner)?????

adreal
20-05-2005, 00:11
meh I like the wardancers, they're pose works for them as a unit half way through combat or something, I mean to truely show the agility of the elves in geveral we need live action models, something i doubt we'll ever get

KDP Morgoth
20-05-2005, 03:20
The Dryads really look nice. I especially love the sinister and gothic feel the models have about them. The human skeleton hanging from one of the Dryad's branches as a banner and the owl perching on another Dryad really add a nice spooky aspect to them as well.

In looking at them, they remind me a lot of the Redwoods (an ancient race of sentient tree looking monsters) from the 80's cartoon Inhumanoids. They also share some similarities in the stories behind them. The Redwoods are an ancient race who warred with three giant, evil monsters called the Inhumanoids and protected the world (particularly the woods and forests) from them by helping imprison them. They also weren't really that benevolent toward humans, especially because humans freed the Inhumanoids from their prison. While the Dryads haven't imprisoned any ancient, evil monsters (at least as far as I'm aware) they do protect the forest and woods against evil, they aren't that benevolent towards humans either and are also quite ancient.

This and the fact that in running a whole Forest Spirit Army will allow you to use the Battle Cry "Run Forest! Run!" may just convince me to collect an all Forest Spirit Army.

risK
20-05-2005, 07:50
Is that model of yours a conversion?

Yes, some of my conversion work from my old Woodelf army. The picture was uploaded 2001. And I was just stunned by seeing how much of ideas went into the new Wardancer. Or for that skull in the branches go and check my Waywatcher Standard bearer.

Makes me somehow proud... even if I'll never get credit for inspiring a designer.
:D

Avian
20-05-2005, 09:31
does anyone know if they are going to be Skirmishers?, it would seem that way from the picture
That doesn't mean anything. They are facing Free Companies in skirmish formation and Free Companies aren't Skirmishers. :p

Everything I've heard suggests they are a ranked unit.

Scythe
20-05-2005, 09:44
Like before, I really like the dryads; easily one of the best plastic sets produced so far. They look absolutely amazing. I'm not sure about the wardancers tough... they look a bit overdone. Not bad models, but I'm missing something.

Intrepid Adventurer
20-05-2005, 10:26
I love the Wardancers... but does anyone else think the Dryads look like 40k Kroot? Look at the beaks! ;D Not saying I don't like them though...

Rövhalt
20-05-2005, 10:40
That doesn't mean anything. They are facing Free Companies in skirmish formation and Free Companies aren't Skirmishers. :p

Everything I've heard suggests they are a ranked unit.

They're probably in the so called "loose formation" 'cause GW wants to promote Lustria... just my two snotlings...

Galonthar
20-05-2005, 12:16
OMFG

they are so...SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:chrome:

ca...`t ..ait....must..cut down knigts....ith...them!!!!!!!!!!! :evilgrin:
RRRAAAAGHH

TheHood
21-05-2005, 11:41
Until now I've been kinda "meh" about the Wood Elves.

There was a time, back when I first started that I was going to collect an army of them but it didn't happen.

Looking at these new miniatures, I have to say, nice, very nice.

And the wonderful thing is that I am between armies at the moment, I am looking at getting into something new. The Ogres didn't appeal to me, but these guys certainly do.

I think I've found my next army.

Frodo34x
21-05-2005, 17:02
The wardancers are sooo sweet!

wilting_laughter
22-05-2005, 11:59
I can't see the wardancers, Pizarro's lost legion is in the sneak peak twice instead!!! Dyrads cool though.

Keravin
22-05-2005, 12:17
The new figures (and the fact I can play a non skirmish army again) have stopped me selling my old Wood Elves. Plus the wife has said she wants the Dryads to paint so who am I to object to buying new figures.

Glad I've got the old old Wardancers. The new ones are the weakest figures we've seen.

The boyz
22-05-2005, 14:07
Those new Dryads and Wardancers looking well good. I especially like the look of the new Dryads.

Xxcha
23-05-2005, 10:31
I think that the wardancers are alot better than there previous incarnation. they now fit there background!

cardbard_alex
23-05-2005, 15:56
I think that the wardancers are the weakest of the range so far, but still look mighty cool, and miles better than the old ones: at least they have lost the crazy hair.

I just hope the direct sales ones are better.

Cheers, Alex

Keravin
27-05-2005, 13:44
Highborn just got posted on the Previews at GW.

That's a lovely figure. These unit of 10 or special characters?

Jedi152
27-05-2005, 13:54
The highborn is an elf hero/lord choice.

The only thing i don't like about the new wardancers is the paint scheme. What happened to dark and savage elves? These guys look like merry men again, about to dance round a maypole, with yellow and red streamers.

NetGuru
27-05-2005, 13:57
Its nice to see GW making lords with all the different weapon options. How many lords are GW going to make. (i've seen the one in the Sneek Peek, and the lord with a hood and a bow)

Also are the new wardancers metal? Im postive they are, but i heard that they were being made plastic?

Thalys
27-05-2005, 14:12
Well, i also just saw the pic in he sneak peek, and here it is for you...

http://www.elfenmoor.de/warhammer/highborn1.jpg

I made it a little bit bigger, but it became a little bit blurry, so here also is the original...

http://www.elfenmoor.de/warhammer/image1.jpg

... Thalys

Lithian
27-05-2005, 14:16
Boing!!!!!!

That dude rocks! I'll be crying when my Brets crush him under-hoof! :evilgrin:

thanquol
27-05-2005, 14:25
http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/

At the GW UK site. SWEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

Wish the wardancers had more clothes on , for my tastes anyway but sweeet !
All those dryads are just freaking cool !
It's such an improvemenat! Finally the wardancers lost that weird hairstyle. Now they even look as if they can harm someone! :eek:
P.s. Brets really wouldn't be able to harm someone! But the Highborn rocks

Sai-Lauren
27-05-2005, 14:27
All I can say is if that's the standard for figures for the Wood Elves, it's been worth the wait.

Galonthar
27-05-2005, 14:35
....so that will be the new lord.....
.....................on foot....................

:chrome: that thing os soooo f*ckin cool :chrome:

I just can`t wait to cut down Lithian`s knights with him!! ;)

AND,.. is it me or is he wearing some veeeery heavy looking armour???
looks cool though

Brandir
27-05-2005, 14:58
What is that blue thing holding up his log?

Jedi152
27-05-2005, 14:59
That'll be one of the new sprites ... i think.

Xxcha
27-05-2005, 15:59
I think the sprites would look much better if they were painted the same colour as the branches, simply because they wouldn't stand out as much.

Odin
27-05-2005, 16:05
I think the sprites would look much better if they were painted the same colour as the branches, simply because they wouldn't stand out as much.

I think the sprites would look a lot better if you hacked them off with a pair of clippers and chucked them in the bin. Other than the sprites and the treekin, the new range just looks fantastic though.

Brandir
27-05-2005, 16:36
Do these sprites do anything?

KDP Morgoth
27-05-2005, 18:06
I believe they fill a similar role as the Gnoblars did in the Ogre Kingdoms army. But I don't know that for sure.

Lithian
27-05-2005, 18:40
I just can`t wait to cut down Lithian`s knights with him!! ;)

Har Har! Well met! I’m sure he’ll be the fave Baron von Münchhausen quizinart in the extreme, especially if he can be pumped up to strength seven like the High Elf Lord. :evilgrin:

That mini rocks hard, I feel a greatsword-wielding D20 character coming on quickly! :cool:

Avian
28-05-2005, 10:14
Rumour has it that one type of spite provides Magic Resistance, for example. There will probably be a handful of different types...

portentjunkie
28-05-2005, 11:56
Rumour has it that one type of spite provides Magic Resistance, for example. There will probably be a handful of different types...

One type gives protection from magic is how it was put at the seminar, and another type was noted to dart out to attack enemies.

Galonthar
28-05-2005, 12:53
and another type was noted to dart out to attack enemies.

heheh.... that can make quite some "unexpected" situations

I think I`ve heard something that they`d give extra power dice too

cardbard_alex
28-05-2005, 15:43
Does anybody else think that the lord's legs are the right width apart to put him on a horse?

The only problem is the fold of cloak across the front, and the greatweapon :D

Ok mayb its a stupid idea..........

Cheers, Alex.

Xxcha
28-05-2005, 16:18
It is possible, by the looks of it the only thing you would have to remove is the green bit of cloth that goes through the middle of his legs. i doubt you would even have to use green stuff as the cut would be hidden by the horse.

Galonthar
29-05-2005, 10:19
isn`t there a highborn model on a steed (aside dragons) then?

Zeb
29-05-2005, 13:33
There should probably be a a highborn model on stag... That's my guess at least.

Xxcha
29-05-2005, 17:29
But the stag is probably going to be wider than the new stream lined elven steeds.

Galonthar
29-05-2005, 19:04
talking about stags,....

is there any info on how they will look like? (also about this "wild hunt" unit,.. any info on that yet?)

tzeentchgiant
29-05-2005, 19:19
What are the stags going to be for? I was under the impression that was just an idea, not actually something in the works.

TG

Il Magno
29-05-2005, 21:45
Wild raiders looks like a mix of war dancers and glade raiders riding horses.........

Galonthar
30-05-2005, 09:29
Wild raiders looks like a mix of war dancers and glade raiders riding horses.........

uh-oh.....

half-naked, next to frenzied, 2 hand weapons wielding, MOUNTED elves?!?!
(BTW,.. if they look like wardancers,... do they have comparible special rules? (KB :angel: )

Il Magno
30-05-2005, 09:45
EHMmmm may be i give a wrong description: the models looks like a mix between WD and glade raiders, and I remember them armed with lance, and riding horses.
A rumor says Saving throw 6+, and magic resistance 1. No rumor about dances...... ;)

Xxcha
30-05-2005, 09:53
So if they are armed with a lance and they also get the same +1 S on the charge as Wardancers then they will hit at strength 6.

Galonthar
30-05-2005, 10:03
So if they are armed with a lance and they also get the same +1 S on the charge as Wardancers then they will hit at strength 6.

AUCH!....hehhe...."bye-bye ork T4", or "cya in hell, human armour saves!" ... :eek:

only if they`re not blasted away by enemy fire before I can send them into the fray :( (only a 6+ armour :S)

what will they be?,.. special I suppose....

Il Magno
30-05-2005, 11:43
Yes they are special, I do not know the armour save, but they should have a WARD save of 6+..........

Xxcha
30-05-2005, 16:51
in other words they are going to be very fragile, just like the rest of the WE meaning that we are going to have to relie on the Driads, Tree-kin etc. Making it much harder to have an army of just elves.

Scythe
30-05-2005, 18:13
Any elven army is quite fragile at best. Wood Elves may not have Cold One Cavalry or Silver Helms/ Dragon Princes, but they have way more skirmish troops, so they are not really that more fragile as other elves. And that's not counting the Tree-kin, Dryads, Treemen etc. (besides, Dryads were rumoured to go down in stats, right?)

Brandir
30-05-2005, 18:21
Under 5th ed I used my Wardancers and Dryads to basically hold up enemy units so I could manouevre the Ents, Glade Riders and Glade Guard to charge the side of the enemy. It does seem that this tactic will still be available with the new version.

Odin
30-05-2005, 22:59
Under 5th ed I used my Wardancers and Dryads to basically hold up enemy units so I could manouevre the Ents, Glade Riders and Glade Guard to charge the side of the enemy. It does seem that this tactic will still be available with the new version.

I think that tactic is going to be virtually compulsory.

Frankly
31-05-2005, 03:57
That high born looks brillant.

Puppyblue
31-05-2005, 12:44
Is that under the updated chornicle rules? Cause I tend to have those two units as my main close combat units. Absolutly invaluable. They could take on pretty much any unit. Sure they could hold up enemy units to some extent. But I've never used glade guard as the flanker in such a scenario. Usually they're the ones who are holding, if they are taken at all.
And ents? maybe its cause I haven't been around long enough to know all of the old units but I can't find any mention of ents in warhammer. Do u mean treemen?

EDIT: Wild riders will not be getting dances like the wardancers. Imagine dancing while riding a horse at top speeds. I'm sure not even wardancers are that skilled. And even if they did have dances I don't think they have the +1S anymore. IIRC its 4+ ward, +1A, KB or -1A but gets to strike first.

Xxcha
31-05-2005, 14:30
It was also rumored that they always get +1 S on the charge in addition to the dances.

Galonthar
31-05-2005, 17:51
It was also rumored that they always get +1 S on the charge in addition to the dances.

that WHO will get that +1S,... the WD, the wild hunt thingies, or....
BOTH ( :chrome: )??

that S6 the wild hunt would have then would explain the "hits as heavy cav." rumour that was here on Portent some time ago,...
my only dissapointment is that they`re not so hard to kill (= impossibly high armour saves)

Snoozer
31-05-2005, 18:00
What are the Wild Hunt, are they some sort of monsters (read somewhere that they were slaanesh type steeds) or are they just horses with wilder riders.

I was thinking about starting a tree spirit army and want some more unit options, so if they would be monster type steeds I could use 'em (without the riders of course)

just have to hope for the best :)

Xxcha
31-05-2005, 21:40
From what i know it is only the WD that get the bonus. According to another thread, this is an averaged out weapons bonus that they get because they all have different weapons.

Avian
01-06-2005, 10:33
I think people are reading too much into the "sort of like war dancers on steeds" statment.

Haquim
01-06-2005, 10:41
If they are "the Wild Riders of Kuronos", and Orion is, as the WHFRP bestiary implies an "hibryd" of Treeman and Elf, I say they may very well be considered to be "Possessed" elves.

Puppyblue
01-06-2005, 12:38
Well ,they do have the forest spirit special rule so that would be highly likely.
Them having lances seems unfluffy tho. Maybe its because they have S4 someone wrote S5 on the charge with spears and that became "they have lances". Then everyone realized they had S4 and that on top of the "lances" became S6.

malisteen
09-06-2005, 00:20
I think that tactic is going to be virtually compulsory.

Actually, from what I heard wardancers and dryads won't be very good at taking charges in the new rules. Instead if you want a 'stick' unit you'll be better off with eternal guard. Given the rumored cheapness (in points cost) of the new dryads and the offensive might of the new wardancers, I don't think many players will be complaining. I know I won't be. From the sound of it, eternal guard may be the best stick unit we've ever had.