PDA

View Full Version : Balins Tomb!!!!! Plastic Fellowship Sneal Peek

boogle
19-05-2005, 17:48
http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/thelordoftherings/default.htm

they look a lot better painted IMHO

Brandir
19-05-2005, 17:54
Yes they do. But I'm still not impressed with the 'yet another firing bow' pose of Mr Greenleaf!

boogle
19-05-2005, 17:56
yeah well thats what he primarilly does in Balins Tomb, but you're right, a model with him wielding his twin daggers would be very nice

Brandir
19-05-2005, 18:06
Legolas does use a knife, when he is on the ledge with the cave troll attempting to 'chain' him.

However, I may yet be wrong with my initial assessemnt of the Legolas mini.

Perhaps this plastic one has Legolas with TWO arrows????

Here's hoping ..........

boogle
19-05-2005, 18:09
from looking at the painted mini and the bare plastic one, it doesn't look like he has 2 arrows or even any arrows at all

rkunisch
19-05-2005, 18:10
The troll looks indeed better when it is painted. :D

It is a pity that one can only guess which parts of the scenery are part of the box. :( Beside the columns, I think the well will be part of the box. But what about the door?

What is this small piece in the front of the picture? A fireplace? Rubble? Custom made terrain? It looks a little bit like a rusty axe... :confused:

Have fun,

Rolf.

boogle
19-05-2005, 18:14
i have a sneaky feeling that Balins Tomb itself will be included in the box

Brandir
19-05-2005, 18:17
Do we have a release date yet for this new box set?

Baggers
19-05-2005, 18:20
Within the next six months Brandir.

P.S. I am still not liking the models.

boogle
19-05-2005, 18:24
it'll be the traditional Autumn Big Release Date (maybe late summer if we're lucky)

Brandir
19-05-2005, 18:31
Wasn't the latest ed of WH40K released 28 Aug last year, with Battle for Macragge released Oct?

Am I correct in thinking that GW will release a starter box set (Moria) and a hardback rulebook?

Baggers
19-05-2005, 18:39
There will be a seperate rulebook and a starter box.

Great Harlequin
19-05-2005, 18:42
I do think that this will just be a boxed set like weathertop. I don't think it is the new plastic fellowship. From what sources I have I was told that the new plastic fellowship is called the action fellowship. And that the new Legolas has twin blades. So you may be able to spend even more money on the fellowship :p

All the bestest,

Baggers
19-05-2005, 19:01
I do think that this will just be a boxed set like weathertop. I don't think it is the new plastic fellowship. From what sources I have I was told that the new plastic fellowship is called the action fellowship. And that the new Legolas has twin blades. So you may be able to spend even more money on the fellowship :p

All the bestest,

Your wrong mate, my sources point that Games Workshop are carrying on to LOTR with what they started with the Battle of Macarrage set.

Forgotmytea
19-05-2005, 21:43
And is that a new Cave Troll I espy? :cool:

*Dusts off Moria Goblins*

Rykion
19-05-2005, 23:15

All the bestest,

That's strange since the minis look identical to the unpainted plastics found here. http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2284 :rolleyes:

Shadowheart
19-05-2005, 23:48
The pic is too small to say much about the miniatures... except that I'm disappointed not to see new Moria Goblins. I was hoping they'd do a new sprue of those to give them more variety.

As for Legolas firing a bow, he's an archer, firing a bow is what he does. Might as well complain about every Aragorn model so far wielding a sword. Sure Legolas uses his knives once or twice in each movie, but that's not the bits to base a model on that's to be part of a starter set.

The Cave Troll looks iffy to me, the way the chain is folded up and the way he's holding the hammer, it looks fake, not as dynamic as the metal version. And this one looks bigger to me, though it's hard to tell.

Forgotmytea
20-05-2005, 06:59
I quite likle the current Moria Goblins, but those new fellowship - especialy Boromir and Gandalf.... :eek: :D

L.Hutz
20-05-2005, 15:33
Overall they look good, but not sure about that Legolas. He is not even looking in the direction he is shooting! I mean, he is supposed to be a terriffic marksman, but come on :(

Neknoh
20-05-2005, 15:46

Could somone tell me what "new" Starter and Rulebook you are all talking about?

I have not been all that active in the Lotr forums lately... and I gues I have missed a lot.

And, if I trust you and believe this is indeed plastic... does this mean that there will be seperate Plastic Cave Trolls in the future?

"They have a Cave Troll"

"NO! They have thirteen Cave Trolls!"

boogle
20-05-2005, 15:52
its called 'The Mines of Moria', it has the plastic fellowship that is shown on another thread, some Moria Goblins, a Plastic Cave Troll, and the 'Rule Book To End Them All', after this, they are going to do an Easterling based supplemet and then a Mirkwood supplement, after that no-one knows

erion
20-05-2005, 16:47
Well, it has a small rulebook to end them all.

The Actual Rulebook to end them all will be a hardcover available separately.

Great Harlequin
20-05-2005, 17:08
Your wrong mate, my sources point that Games Workshop are carrying on to LOTR with what they started with the Battle of Macarrage set.
:raisedbro
I know that there is a different fellowship. I'll enquire on to it.

Neknoh
20-05-2005, 18:07
its called 'The Mines of Moria', it has the plastic fellowship that is shown on another thread, some Moria Goblins, a Plastic Cave Troll, and the 'Rule Book To End Them All', after this, they are going to do an Easterling based supplemet and then a Mirkwood supplement, after that no-one knows

Now, if I understood you correctly, this One Rulebook TO END THEM ALL <-- (thunderous voice), will have all the earlier supplements in it, The Best of White Dwarf, all of the different Tribes in it and some clarified rules from the Return of the King (regular gameplay and mainstay rules) and The Two Towers (siege section).

erion
20-05-2005, 18:54
That's what I've taken from the info I've seen.

We'll see a tiny, rules only, rulebook in the Mines of Moria Box.

A big, 240 page hardcover sold separately with all the model stats and special rules in it, like what Nekoh just decribed.

Then a series of Movie-by-movie "splatbooks" with hobby articles, army-building guides and scenarios, and further books akin to "Siege of Gondor" and "Scouring of the Shire" for places like the East, Mirkwood, etc.

Baggers
21-05-2005, 20:50
It seems like GW are teying new variations on giving us the rules. The newbie starter boxes seem a lot more sense than the current game boxes we are use to. However these splurge books are a good idea.

Decipher tried something similar with the LOTR RPG, where they did the core rulebook and then created expansions which covered each of the three Lord of the Rings book, though I do not know if Return of the King was ever released.

Brandir
21-05-2005, 23:21
Decipher's ROTK sourcebook was never released and, despite Decipher saying they are going to relaunch the LOTR RPG, I now doubt they ever will.

Baggers
22-05-2005, 14:20
Decipher's ROTK sourcebook was never released and, despite Decipher saying they are going to relaunch the LOTR RPG, I now doubt they ever will.

Oh well I quite liked the system but never really played it that much.

Brandir
22-05-2005, 15:53
I am not really a fan of the Coda d6 system, especially after buying the new version of WFRP. LOTR Coda suffered from limited playtesting and poorly organised rules.

Forgotmytea
22-05-2005, 16:31
*snip* after this, they are going to do an Easterling based supplemet *snip*

:eek: Why didn't I know this before?!?

Finally, a way to start my Easterling army! :D

Baggers
22-05-2005, 21:39
Because Da Red Gobbo the news broke during the death of Portent.

erion
24-05-2005, 14:33

Good news for RPG fans:

Helm's Deep sourcebook is up for pre-order. (http://lotr.fanhq.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?itemID=4567&CategoryID=64&BLink=True&Page=0&STo=4567)

Brandir
24-05-2005, 15:09
Unfortunately it has been available for pre-order since Aug 2003 ...........

erion
24-05-2005, 15:46
Yes, but It's actually being re-solicited to stores and distributors as we speak, and is expected to hit distributors in June.

Brandir
24-05-2005, 15:50
You are correct, but given Decipher's track record I am not holding my breath. Pity, LOTR RPG is damned fine, based on the books rather than the films (although sensibly using the imagery from the films).

Narandil
24-05-2005, 18:01
i like them but the cave troll has an exceptionally large right arm, though they do look great!

erion
24-05-2005, 19:05
Well, brandir, I'll be sure and let you know when mine comes in so you can dash off and buy yourself a copy.

Brandir
24-05-2005, 19:18
Erion, beind an unrepentent Tolkien fan I too will buy it as soon as Leisure Games have it in stock.

But now I have the new WFRP I think that is a far better engine that Decipher's Coda.