PDA

View Full Version : Mawloc - modelling>gaming

xerxeshavelock
30-12-2009, 18:45
The Mawloc is a huge, towering beast. This gives it a certain profile on the table, which is part of its gaming characteristics.

Now, as a tunneller I would like to model it partly submerging. A because it's cool, B because I like my figs to not be out-of-the-box, I like my army to be unique.

However I am aware this would give me a considerable gaming advantage, more so than other modelling projects I have undertaken.

2 Questions - would this annoy you? And can you think of a way of making it look good and still be about as tall as the standard pose?

SPYDER68
30-12-2009, 18:47
Build the base up taller, so hes coming out of a taller rocky like base and can still submerge part of him and at same time the model be the correct height.

doghouse
30-12-2009, 19:01
Yeah build him a mount of dirt that he's emerging from, that'll do the trick.

Veloxnex
30-12-2009, 19:35
And to expand further, if you could get a bit of chicken wire and cover it in paper maché you could have an explosion of dirt of sorts, could look awesome

like an upside down lampshade shape with him in the centre, modelled to proportions ofc

LonelyPath
30-12-2009, 19:42
As said above, build up the base so he's bursting out of a mountain of earth/rock/concrete/whatever and I'm sure no one will be able to complain about it, just tell them the mountain counts as his body and no more problem. However, you may then also be calling in more firepower as the model will be even wider, lol.

bigcheese76
30-12-2009, 19:50
Another way to make the model unique and to represent the rule of other creatures using the Mawlocs tunnel (I think there is a rule like this, saw a rumour about it) you could model a couple of genestealers or a couple of rippers onto the base with the rocks and dirt like others have suggested.
If you have access to the 4th Edition 40k rulebook then check out page 202, it has a guid on making craters, which I think a mawloc would look awesome emerging from.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
30-12-2009, 19:54
OR

As long as you're not in a tournament and your friends agree, just ignore the stupid line of sight rules and play with some common sense. Modeling IS greater than gaming, hands down.

Vepr
30-12-2009, 19:57
OR

As long as you're not in a tournament and your friends agree, just ignore the stupid line of sight rules and play with some common sense. Modeling IS greater than gaming, hands down.

We either just use a ruler or have a unmodified model on hand so that you can get an idea on line of site for models that are shorter due to modeling or taller due to an extravagant base. That way modelers and plain gamers both have it fair and neither group is punished.

Clang
31-12-2009, 04:01
Model it bursting through a bunker or vehicle of the right size, so that it's still the standard height.

I too am worried about the lack of poseability of the kit, especially the tail, which will lead to an awful lot of identical looking models. I suppose I should be brave and look at a bit of greenstuff tail reposing... :(

Deamon-forge
31-12-2009, 10:47
model it how you want and when you play a game have a cardboard cut out of the size and shap of the model at hand, then that will give the high etc when you play.

teanabowlie
31-12-2009, 13:43
Heres an idea, cut it in half and make two! Use the head and upper torso to model one coming out of the ground, then turn the rest upside down and stick it to a base to make it look like another one tunnelling back into the ground. Illegal as hell im sure but I'd love to say that I got two models out of one kit!

Eulenspiegel
31-12-2009, 14:25
2 Questions - would this annoy you? And can you think of a way of making it look good and still be about as tall as the standard pose?
I understand your problem, and applaud the fact that you have second thoughts about this.

Whenever I do a conversion I feel gives me unfair advantages over the regular model, I tend to give my opponent certain leeway with it.
With your Mawloc example Iīd let my opponent shoot it as if it were the regular model. Or, if itīs a suitably large model (havenīt seen it personally), Iīd just let him shoot it from anywhere, regardless of line of sight.

That also is an indicator on how much you really want the conversion for looks as opposed to its performance on the table. If by using it you actually have disadvantages over the regular model, you really want it for its looks.

xerxeshavelock
31-12-2009, 19:32
I understand your problem, and applaud the fact that you have second thoughts about this.

Quite selfish really - I hate a game where either side has any bad feeling. I might put it next to a lamp post and say if you can see the post you can shoot the gribbly.

I currently use a smaller than usual Daemon Prince so to make up for it I say you can shoot the wings - as I understand it the wings and weapons don't count.