PDA

View Full Version : When did GW forget how to cast?

AndrewGPaul
30-12-2009, 22:17
Another reason why they're moving to plastics? I was cleaning up the Ratling Snipers the other day, and the amount of "strings" of metal from vent channels was ridiculous. I've noticed it for a while now - ever since the LotR minis first came out - but this was ridiculous. No-one else is this bad, and their sculpts are at least as good, and frequently better.

freddythebig
30-12-2009, 22:35
Blimey, they will be upping the price again to cover the cost of the extra metal :angel:

spetswalshe
30-12-2009, 22:40
He looks like a pre-dressed Christmas tree.

I was actually mumbling to myself about how these Cadian Command plastics seem to have a lot less flash on them than normal.

Ivellis
30-12-2009, 22:43
Over time molds get worn down and don't fit as well, causing more flash and mold lines.

GW also already had pretty bad metals so...

Duke Georgal
30-12-2009, 22:49
Those "strings" are from where the vent holes are in the centrifugal molds. These vent holes allow for better quality and consistency in the molding process. They also make it possible to model a finer cross section in metal.

They are sinple to remove, and you get a better model when done.

New Reaper models have the strings too. I'll bet most top of the line casters are doing the same.

You have to keep up.

AndrewGPaul
31-12-2009, 00:27
If you'll look at my first post, you'll see I know what they are; my point is, the other top of the line casters are not doing this; I don't have this trouble with miniatures from Privateer Press, Hell Dorado, Infinity, Avatars of War, Hasslefree, Urban Mammoth, etc, etc. It's only GW that have this problem, and there's no way you can compare these beefy ratlings to the Infinity range and say it's "to model a finer cross section". :)

Wintertooth
31-12-2009, 01:15
I've always considered it a good sign. Better venting that takes thirty seconds to trim than air bubbles. Usually a good indicator of the mould not being misaligned either, so the lines will be minimal.

Wicksy
31-12-2009, 07:46
Its not really a problem for me. I've found the plastics more annoying to tidy up than the metals. I've always taken it as a good sign.

Art Is Resistance
31-12-2009, 08:28
Bent lines are an issue that takes two seconds with a pair of clippers to resolve - where's the issue? It's a side effect of working with the substrate. I'd rather tat than iar bubbles as has already been said.

The reason why you see more on GW than others may be down to GW not 'dressing' the figures before sale? Maybe the other companies take two seconds to trim the mini pre-packaging?

AndrewGPaul
31-12-2009, 12:11
Bent lines are an issue that takes two seconds with a pair of clippers to resolve - where's the issue? It's a side effect of working with the substrate. I'd rather tat than iar bubbles as has already been said.

The reason why you see more on GW than others may be down to GW not 'dressing' the figures before sale? Maybe the other companies take two seconds to trim the mini pre-packaging?

No, and no. "2 seconds" to clip off an individual thread - there were 20 or so on one miniature, and each of them required careful filing after clipping, to reove the stub and smooth the rough edge down.

No other miniatures I've bought in the last few years has had any sign of having flash and the like removed; you can tell, because you'd see file marks and shiny bits where it would have been done.

As for them being necessary, see both my previous posts - no-one else has this problem to such an extent, and if anything, I've had better casts from them than from GW; I've had LotR minis with both excess threads and unfilled moulds!

spaint2k
31-12-2009, 12:24
Sigh @ the apparent lack of understanding you're getting here.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Olley's Armies used to do the most magnificent models and they lacked the ridiculous number of air vents GW's figures have, not to mention the mould lines were MUCH less severe. Hasslefree's stuff is equally wonderful.

Deep-Green-X
31-12-2009, 13:12
When Hasslefree and these other miniatures company's start producing anywhere near the numbers of miniatures GW produce then we'll see who takes time to remove all the little vents.

Only a few other company's like reaper are using the centrifugal casting system, as previsouly stated they have the vents too.

Would you rather get an inferior mini in order to save yourself a few miniutes prep work?

IJW
31-12-2009, 13:22
Only a few other company's like reaper are using the centrifugal casting system, as previsouly stated they have the vents too.
You might want to do a bit more research into that - secondhand centrifugal casters cost a few hundred pounds and increase the speed of casting at least tenfold, partly by allowing larger moulds with more models at a time.

Unless you're only selling a few figures a week (and therefore aren't relying on figures as your actual income), you will have a centrifugal caster.

captian Maklai
31-12-2009, 13:28
............*Sniggers*.....eermm....well, i've never seen one that bad, But honestley what is the problem? Just clip them off!

Hinestley i am shocked by the amount of gw hate threads going on, sure they have a lot to answer for in the way they do things, but their running the company a damn sight better than any of the people posting hate threads on them!:mad: Come on, give em a break.

Pokpoko
31-12-2009, 13:43
Would you rather get an inferior mini
No, I'd rather not. Which explains why I had not bought a single GW model in a few years. And lo and behold! No more slipped moulds that make the models look like two badly-glued halves, no more flash enough to build a second model out of it, no more half a cm thick mouldlines, no more using fistfuls of GS to close the gaps in metal models. Suddenly, it's possible to make models with minimal mouldines, easily removed flash, and ones that fit together without reaching for heavy duty pins and GS. But I'm probably not an advanced modeller, I prefer less prepwork to more:angel:

sigur
31-12-2009, 13:44
This ratling has an enormous amount of these stringy things on him but I also don't get how it's a big problem to remove them. Yus, other companies have less of these things but I'm not sure what a thread should change about that.

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 15:43
I have a bigger problem with the smaller, less conspicuous strings that get bent back against the model and aren't readily evident until you've already started putting paint on the figure (looking at you, Dark Elves!).

pookie
31-12-2009, 16:31
ive noticed this too OP - its not the point that it takes a little amount of time to clean them up, we have always had to and will have to do this, the point being its more common now then it used to be.

Nuada
31-12-2009, 16:53
and the amount of "strings" of metal from vent channels was ridiculous. I've noticed it for a while now - ever since the LotR minis first came out - .

Well, that's roughly when GW changed from black rubber moulds to pink silicone moulds (for a longer shelf life)

Supremearchmarshal
31-12-2009, 16:54
Meh, strings are a problem solved in less than a minute, so I don't mind them. I haven't bought any GW models for almost 2 years, but I remember my main issue with GW models was that misaligned moulds were getting too common.

AndrewGPaul
31-12-2009, 17:27
............*Sniggers*.....eermm....well, i've never seen one that bad, But honestley what is the problem? Just clip them off!

Hinestley i am shocked by the amount of gw hate threads going on, sure they have a lot to answer for in the way they do things, but their running the company a damn sight better than any of the people posting hate threads on them!:mad: Come on, give em a break.

Oh, goody, that logical fallacy again. :rolleyes: I don't need to be an expert caster to note that other manufacturers can provide a superior product with a much lower level of extraneous flash.

When Hasslefree and these other miniatures company's start producing anywhere near the numbers of miniatures GW produce then we'll see who takes time to remove all the little vents.

Would you rather get an inferior mini in order to save yourself a few miniutes prep work?

Funnily enough, all the other manufacturers I listed are providing superior miniatures, and I have to do less prep work. Your premise is flawed. : None of them are doing the prep work before shipping, either. I don't know where you got that idea from.

yabbadabba
31-12-2009, 18:11
Funnily enough, all the other manufacturers I listed are providing superior miniatures, and I have to do less prep work. Your premise is flawed. : None of them are doing the prep work before shipping, either. I don't know where you got that idea from.

This is a pointless argument. Why? You have no information about volumes of production and the best and most cost efficient ways of dealing with those volumes. If this is it, then so be it, GW have to deal with it.

I know misery likes company but to all those who have issues with GW's moulding - complain to them or stop buying. I have had all my miscast issues resolved, and with a couple I have helped highlighted potential quality issues for GW. Moaning on here achieves nothing - again.

spaint2k
01-01-2010, 02:58
I know misery likes company but to all those who have issues with GW's moulding - complain to them or stop buying. I have had all my miscast issues resolved, and with a couple I have helped highlighted potential quality issues for GW. Moaning on here achieves nothing - again.

I saw one of your posts in 40K General and I thought you'd stopped reading Other GW ;)

Incidentally, that quote in your sig is very true; I felt a lot happier when I stayed away from this section of the site. Unfortunately the OP here has a point. Those strands of metal aren't "a few seconds work" to remove; the little stub left on the model needs to be cleaned up and removed and GW's metal is VERY hard.

To the guy who mentioned quantity as an excuse: it shouldn't be. Plenty of products in this world are made in much greater quantities than GW's miniatures and they are made to more exacting quality standards to boot. I will never understand how GW can make PLASTIC models whose moulds are as badly misaligned as they were on some figures I've got. In any other industry mould slippage like that would be grounds to reject entire batches and find out why the moulds don't align properly.

Nuada offers a very convincing explanation for the excessive number of air vents on these figures. I didn't realize that GW had changed mould material for metal miniatures.

Duke Georgal
01-01-2010, 03:39
There were 20 or so on one miniature, and each of them required careful filing after clipping, to reove the stub and smooth the rough edge down.

I think you need a new set of flush cut nippers and some fresh #11 blades. That will take a few minutes off of this "job".

I have a lot of complaints about GW, but the quality, price, and range of their metals models are most certainly not one of them. Tales of War, Hasselfree, and others, who I do not think use centrifugal casting machines, make fine quality miniatures that the OP might be happy with. However, be prepared to pay more $$$ for lighter models and less variety.

IJW
01-01-2010, 09:51
Again, centrifugal casters are the standard way to produce metal models in quatity. The idea that any company with a decent turnover isn't using one is rather bizarre.

Nuada
01-01-2010, 15:00
I didn't realize that GW had changed mould material for metal miniatures.

I used to work in the mouldroom (eastwood and lenton) From the number of drill holes on that figure, i'd say it's an inexperienced mouldmaker. It doesn't look as though half of them are required. The job is what i'd describe as semi-skilled, with an above average turnover of staff. Hence the mistakes.
But i could be wrong, the photo is blurry and i don't know the figure that well.

yabbadabba
01-01-2010, 15:10
I saw one of your posts in 40K General and I thought you'd stopped reading Other GW ;) Yeah had an attack of "lets see what the hell is being talked about" again. The general discussion forum nearly always ends up being populated by peopled who cant be arsed to be pro-active and just want to whinge and moan. I keep getting suckered in to witness this self flagellation :rolleyes:

Incidentally, that quote in your sig is very true; I felt a lot happier when I stayed away from this section of the site. True. I noticed I hadnt played a single game or painted a single miniature when I was a regular on this forum:eek:.
Take it easy bro ;).

ps interesting comment Nuada thanks. Now if I had that model, I'd report that sort of stuff back. no system is perfect and feedback is always helpful.

Raellos
04-01-2010, 02:20
I'd be happy with the big strings. I always find one or two little, hard to see ones still on the model after I've started painting the bloody thing!

Deamon-forge
06-01-2010, 09:34
a few of my new LoTD had a lot of these little tags i dont mind the big ones as its free casting metal. but these damn little ones are a pain.

selfconstrukt
06-01-2010, 18:13
When did GW forget how to cast?

Those "strings" that you are referring to are from the drills used to vent deep areas of the cavity.

Other companies, like PP, have different moldmaking techniques than GW so they will get different results.