PDA

View Full Version : Great Canadian Miniatures

Arvendragon
31-12-2009, 05:28
Has anyone used this site before?

It looks quite amazing, 5% tax, 30% off.

What's the sites credibility?

starlight
31-12-2009, 05:55
Talked with them for years, usually fairly responsive, except over holidays (but fairs fair, they generally warn you if they're away).

Ordered from them, reasonable service. Beware that shipping is $10 + 3%, so it's really only 27% off and $10 shipping plus the local taxes.

It *can* be cheaper to order from Neal at The War Store in the US because GW US prices are much less than Canadian prices at times, so the extra discount from GC Minis might not actually be less... :eek: Although taxes/etc can be a leveler to the US order.

In the end, compare both for your order, and make the choice that works for you.

If the price is right, I'd order from them again.

Ozeor
31-12-2009, 09:13
Listen, As I have stated before, if you are Canadian and wanna save money, then go to JJcards in waterloo. You can also order online, but there prices are amazing!!! Google them!

Arvendragon
31-12-2009, 14:39
I live like pretty much right beside J & Js, but Great Canadian Miniatures has better prices. The main thing is, it runs out of stock sometimes and its annoying. And there's only 5% tax at GC MInis.

The Base
31-12-2009, 16:10
Personally I make all my online orders from Scifi genre.

They have some of the lowest prices, low shipping costs, an easy to use ordering system, and most of the time I don't get taxed on there stuff. However be warned that if you do get taxed it costs an extra $5 post office fee.

Shadowfax
31-12-2009, 16:25
GC Minis are decent, but starlight's right; once you factor in the shipping the discount comes down a bit.

I'd also strongly disagree with him about them being responsive. It often takes them over a week to reply to a question or to finalize an order. They're also pretty slow when it comes to putting together and shipping your order, especially if they need to refill their stock. Don't be surprised if it takes more than a month to get to you from the date of placement.

I don't think The Warstore is worth is for Canadians anymore. The risk of being taxed/having duties levied is too great. You're essentially flipping a coin on the prospect of your discount.

The Base
31-12-2009, 16:36
GC Minis are decent, but starlight's right; once you factor in the shipping the discount comes down a bit.

I'd also strongly disagree with him about them being responsive. It often takes them over a week to reply to a question or to finalize an order. They're also pretty slow when it comes to putting together and shipping your order, especially if they need to refill their stock. Don't be surprised if it takes more than a month to get to you from the date of placement.

I don't think The Warstore is worth is for Canadians anymore. The risk of being taxed/having duties levied is too great. You're essentially flipping a coin on the prospect of your discount.

There is zero chance of getting duties levied. You will either pay nothing, or pay GST+PST/HST + $5.

Shadowfax
31-12-2009, 16:43
What are you basing that on?

I've paid customs levies on various orders received from other, non-wargames retailers in the USA before. I've paid fees on different orders made specifically from the Warstore, too, but regrettably I didn't look to see whether or not they were customs related or taxes.

jpwic
31-12-2009, 17:23
Hi,

I thought I would put my two cents in here since I actually do work in Customs.

Duty rates are based on a tariff classification which everything you can think of can fall under, the one that applies for miniatures is 9503.00.90.39 (reduced scale model kits, it's the closest that I can come up with). This is a duty free classification, if you ever get charged with duties by a carrier, it is probably because they are classifying these as other plastic products or other tin product both of which are dutiable. As a Canadian though, if the goods are being shipped by UPS or another courier (not Canada Post) it is usually better to clear a large order through Customs yourself because you can specify the tariff classification to use and you do not get hit with the massive fees that the courier will charge for it.

You can find a copy of the Canadian Customs Tariff at this site.

http://cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2010/01-99/tblmod-eng.html

Ok that's my two cents but it may have been a little technical.

Arvendragon
31-12-2009, 17:35
I think I'll just buy Canadian. =)

Move to the States for University.

starlight
31-12-2009, 17:54
Indeed. Models haven't been subject to *duty* as long as I've been ordering them...I've only occasionally paid the sales taxes (GST/PST), and the exorbitant courier fees ($50 vs Canada Post's $5) but never duties on models bought from the US.

Although I *have* been cheesed with Customs at being charged GST...when their form was placed directly beside the shipper's form clarifying that GST was pre-paid. :shifty:

Shadowfax
31-12-2009, 17:59
Hi,

I thought I would put my two cents in here since I actually do work in Customs.

Oh man, I've been wanting to talk to one of you guys forever.

As a Canadian though, if the goods are being shipped by UPS or another courier (not Canada Post) it is usually better to clear a large order through Customs yourself because you can specify the tariff classification to use and you do not get hit with the massive fees that the courier will charge for it.

How do you go about doing this? I have definitely noticed that orders delivered by UPS or Fedex are the ones that almost always garner brutal customs charges, and I would love to know how to get around it.

Another question for ya: How come the assessment of taxes on an order from the USA seems so scattershot? For example, of the dozens of orders I've placed with Amazon US, not a single one has been taxed. Yet sometimes orders from other US retailers are taxed (and sometimes they aren't). Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain things slip past without being taxed?

starlight
31-12-2009, 18:14
Be sure you're separating the *customs charges* (of which I have never seen any) from the taxes (which you are required to pay on anything that isn't a gift under $60CDN) and the courier's *fees* ($50 in the case of UPS and FedEx).

On models, Customs doesn't charge *anything*, but they do collect the taxes for various levels of government. The courier's fees are just that, the price you pay for having them do the work at Customs for you. Which is why I prefer Canada Post with their $5 fee.

Customs knows that UPS and FedEx are among the most commonly used shippers for eBay purchases, thus the least likely to have paid sales tax, thus the most closely watched. Shipments from large commercial outfits are more likely to get through due to having pre-paid the taxes (as several outfits I've purchase from).

Codsticker
31-12-2009, 18:24
I have found GCM to be decent. It can take quite a while to get your order but I have always recieved my order. I dont, however, find them easy to get a hold of (only once did I get a prompt reply).

jpwic
31-12-2009, 18:25
Hehehe..

Most times if you know the package is coming you can ask them to hold the paperwork for you to do the clearance yourself.. This has to be arranged before the goods arrive in Canada otherwise in most cases it'll go right through as a low value shipment.

Basically what the process is, you go to the couriers office, they give you a manifest/bill of lading and a commercial invoice. You go to the customs port they tell you to with these two documents and fill out some forms. You will also have to pay your GST/PST or HST depending on where you are and any duties / excise taxes that are applicable.

In my experience it is shipments from FedEx and UPS that get hit by Customs most often mainly because they do the customs clearance themselves. Canada Post is a little different a little more lax. They normally won't hit you for taxes or duties for small shipments. I had 2000 point Slaaneshi Daemon legion army painted by Blue Table. The value of the models was well over $500 but I wasn't charged taxes by Canada Customs. It's mainly bad luck if you get hit with taxes by Canada Post.

Oh man, I've been wanting to talk to one of you guys forever.

How do you go about doing this? I have definitely noticed that orders delivered by UPS or Fedex are the ones that almost always garner brutal customs charges, and I would love to know how to get around it.

Another question for ya: How come the assessment of taxes on an order from the USA seems so scattershot? For example, of the dozens of orders I've placed with Amazon US, not a single one has been taxed. Yet sometimes orders from other US retailers are taxed (and sometimes they aren't). Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain things slip past without being taxed?

The Base
31-12-2009, 18:46
Unless you are buying something in a special category, if it is for personal use you pay no tariffs on it. Also if it is below $25 you pay nothing.

Even if it is clearly labeled as being more you often don't get hit with anything.

To compare the possible costs. Lets say you are buying 2 leman russ demolishers .

In GW they are $60 each, so $120 + 13% (ontario) = $135.60

Scifi they are 42.10USD each so according to ex that is $44.08 so $88.16 plus ($11.46 + $5 if you get taxed) + $10 shipping (guessing here it is probably less). So you pay $98.16 or $114.62 (worst case). So you stand to save $40 vs the store.

Great Canadian could save you a bit more if you are taxed, but if you don't get taxed you are better off ordering from down south.

Shadowfax
31-12-2009, 18:59
Maybe I should get my new nids from The Warstore after all.

The last time I ordered from them I definitely got taxed, though.

t-tauri
31-12-2009, 19:50
Moved to other GW.

jahorin
03-01-2010, 17:41
The last order I've placed online was at Wayland Games (in the UK). The price was similar to GCM but the services was much better and it arrived within a week. When sometime with GCM it can take up to a month. The choices is yours, I just wanted to add my opinion to the discussion.

The Base
03-01-2010, 18:20
I noticed while looking at it today the shipping is $15 + 3% not $10.

To be honest that seems rather expensive as I don't think I have ever paid that much to get something shipped from the USA.

starlight
03-01-2010, 19:34
Which is why it's always good to shop around, especially for larger orders. As currencies fluctuate and prices vary, it can be better to order from a retailer who doesn't offer as good of a discount if their base prices/shipping/etc are lower.

The Warstore also has a bonus 5% discount until tomorrow (Jan 4th) or so... ;)

Whytnyte
21-02-2010, 17:41
First off let me say that I will never order from Great Canadian Miniatures again!!!!
I placed my order on January 25th. I finally received a response yesterday to my query about a shipping date since it had been so long. Here is a direct copy and paste of their reply.
"GW had some bad weather last week and a Holiday which delayed our re-stock order.
Your order is shipping out on Monday, we are apologize for the delay."

Ok so what about the previous 3 weeks?, what were they doing then?
So as of todays date it has almost been a month and they still have not shipped my order. In case you are thinking it may have been a special order, it was not. My order was for two monoliths.
As for their 30% discount, well that disappears pretty quick since their shipping is $15.00 plus 3% of the order amount.

Now on to the extra taxes and tariffs at the border. I have been order from the states for years(paintball equipment) and I have learned a very valuable lesson. DO NOT order anything that is shipped via a courier company. In many cases the extra fees imposed by them will cause you to spend more then you would have paid for the item at a retail outlet. The last time I ordered from the States that was shipped via UPS(United Pirate Service, as I like to call them) the item cost me $36.00USD plus shipping. By the time I payed the driver at the door I had doubled my original purchase price. now the only fee that really stands out in my mind was the $5.00 fee for a residential delivery....lmao

As well I would like to send out a great big thank you to jpwic for his invaluable information. Thank you very much.

WK

frozenwastes
22-02-2010, 06:36
They basically offer no real discount ever since they upped their shipping from when it was 6+% of order.

For GW, check out Maelstrom Games. They ship for free and 10-15% (if you sign up for their newsletter) off UK retail means it arrives at your door from 20-40% off Canadian retail price. It's good for plastics, but for metals, maelstrom really shines as GW Canada's retail price on metals are crazy compared to the UK.

They also mark things very favourably so you likely won't be paying any duty/taxes/surcharges for the delivery.

Crooky
23-02-2010, 04:08
I got a large order from GC Minis about 2-3 years ago, so my experience isn't exactly recent, but I thought their service was good. When I say large ($200, iirc) I mean so much stuff that I haven't even been able to put it all together yet. Granted, I have taken breaks from the hobby since I got that order, but that's neither here nor there...

Anyway, I thought they were pretty good. Shipping and delivery was timely, everything packed well, nothing missing, etc.

kenshin
23-02-2010, 04:35
The way GCM sets up their shipping prices really promotes large purchases. I've used them waaaay back in the day when Greg was part of the organization (met him at a GT). I used to just pick up my order and save all of shipping haha

Anyways long story short, if you are buying like $200+ worth of minis, then GCM is a good choice. Else, there are better alternatives.

However, they sometimes do 35% off so keep an eye out for that :)

starlight
23-02-2010, 04:42
I don't think they stock anything anymore, so the 35% off sales they used to clear out stock are likely gone for good. It was different when they were in Ontario, but things changed when they moved out here to BC. :(

They won't even let locals pick up their orders at the store anymore. Their claims of being unable to do that were undermined when my last order was repacked in the box that still had the original shipping labels from GW to the GCM *store*... :p

Codsticker
01-03-2010, 18:55
I have used GCM in the past with slow but adequate service. I have since switched to Heavy Support Games which is more expensive but faster. That's right: I live 3 hours north of GCM but I get faster service form a store that is 3500 KM and three time zones away. :(

Whytnyte
07-03-2010, 15:40
I went to Maelstrom games and found that it would have been cheaper by more then $20.00 to order my monoliths from them instead of GCG. And since it took more then a month for them to just ship it to me my last online order was placed to Maelstrom. I will keep you posted as to how long it takes to get here.

WK

sliganian
08-03-2010, 15:28
I've used GCM twice and have been happy both times. Some caveats though:

1) Both times I did a 'group' order. So I am not ordering just one thing. First order was two Assault on Black Reach boxes and two SM Codexes. Most recent order was for four Codexes. Both times it was cheaper than GW and cheaper than local LGS even with shipping. Note that I live in Ontario so I didn't have to pay PST. ;)

2) I am not in a rush to get stuff. The order was placed Feb. 11 and the package arrived on March 5. I can wait 3 weeks to save a bit of money and not have to go to a shop.