PDA

View Full Version : Cadian Blood.

Kalishnikov-47
31-12-2009, 06:53
Ok so I just picked up the new Imperial Guard novel and have finished it already. I must say it was a great read and having visited the blog for the chap who wrote it, he seems like the guy you share a good beer with.

Anywho, back to the book. So it turns out the story is like other Guard novels(Guard vs. Chaos) it still has good premise and sense of direction, and keeps you glued to it the whole time. Yeah its about the Cadians and yeah its about them fighting Chaos but so what! The book literally flies off the pages and the characters interactions as well as dialogue are superb and very explicit when it comes to detail.

The characters really are personal, its not hard for anyone to become attached to any one character. My personal favorite was Second Lieutenant Vertain. (His sarcasm and one-liners know no bounds.)

It's realistic and yet has its own distinct wartime humor.

I don't want to shed any detail on the story because every morsel to me was a delicacy.

All in all I was very impressed, and could not put the novel down. I mean I read it in a span of 6 hours.

Maybe it just gives me great modelling and conversion ideas, but I really cannot praise this book enough.

A 9/10.

IcedAnimals
31-12-2009, 07:47
Shut up Vertain....shutting up sir.

Aaron Dembri-howeveryousayhisname is quickly becoming my favorite BL author. His short story in heros was good. Cadian blood was amazing. He is doing a night lords story that looks to be promising and Helsreach has me all giddy.

Promethius
31-12-2009, 10:01
Vertain was a brilliant character.

I really enjoyed Cadian Blood. It was everything a BL book should be. It would be nice to see a direct sequel, given the obvious joy he had writing the first one.

Ph4lanx
31-12-2009, 11:05
Cadian Blood was an enjoyable read for me. More than once in all that dire straights, I literally laughed out loud at some of the quick-witted writing on offer. Very good.

Simo429
31-12-2009, 11:58
Shut up Vertain....shutting up sir.

Aaron Dembri-howeveryousayhisname is quickly becoming my favorite BL author. His short story in heros was good. Cadian blood was amazing. He is doing a night lords story that looks to be promising and Helsreach has me all giddy.

which short story was that one?

Killgore
31-12-2009, 13:32
Howd he describe Plague Marines? ****-Egg-like smell or something like that :P

Cadian Blood was a good read.

I had the pleasure of meeting the author at Gamesday UK, decent chap

BlackLegion
31-12-2009, 14:13
Was a nice read about Space Marines in Cadian uniforms :D

Well really. After treading "Cadian Blood" you are under the premission that Cadians are the definitive bad-assers for fighting Chaos as Catachans are the definitive bad-assers for fighting in jungles.

Raven Down
31-12-2009, 15:00
After finishing Eisenhorn and Ravenor I've been looking for another great read,Might give Cadian Blood a read then.

Simo429
31-12-2009, 15:02
After finishing Eisenhorn and Ravenor I've been looking for another great read,Might give Cadian Blood a read then.

have you read the word bearers trilogy by far the best three books in the black library ive read

Raven Down
31-12-2009, 15:24
have you read the word bearers trilogy by far the best three books in the black library ive read

I have not,Will give them a quick look at then probably purchase them from BL,Good literature seems to have dried up around me.

Simo429
31-12-2009, 15:56
I have not,Will give them a quick look at then probably purchase them from BL,Good literature seems to have dried up around me.

the last one is def my favorite black library book

Flying Toaster
31-12-2009, 16:56
I would not recommend buying the book if you are looking for some focus on Imperial vs zombie action because it rarely happened. It took about a paragraph before the firefights was all over. I mean I dont even think a single trooper was eaten by zombies... or maybe one I cant remember, there wasnt that sense of fear like in other books that the soldiers could be bitten or infected, or all the other horror aspects of zombies. The book itself is okay but I thought it could have been a little longer in developing the characters more (dont get me wrong I thought they were well developed anyway) as I thought one or two of them were pretty bland. It wasnt really what I expected out of a zombie apocalypse book though. It was more to do with the traitors that caused it than the mass hordes of zombies milling around.

Just my thoughts on it really.

Hero adamite
31-12-2009, 17:00
My friend is reading this book, i might have to pick it up too.

Spider-pope
31-12-2009, 17:19
Cadian Blood was a decent read, but nothing great in my opinion. There were a few moments of brilliance scattered throughout the book that were on a par with the authors short in Heroes of the Space Marines, but not enough for me to rate it as anything than slightly above average.

which short story was that one?

One Hate, which was the highlight of that particular compilation and one of the best pieces of Space Marine fiction so far, and is the reason why despite my dissappointment with Cadian Blood i will still be purchasing any future Dembski-Bowden novels.

IcedAnimals
31-12-2009, 19:00
Shame you didn't like it Spider. It was probably my favorite read this year. Well maybe not as good as Dark Disciple. Though if you are picking it up for "imperial guard vs zombies!" you are definitely reading the wrong book.

Kalishnikov-47
31-12-2009, 20:07
I forgot it was Lieutnenat Darrick haha.

His little quips and nagging was awesome.

I loved how by the end of the novel how was everyone was like "I hate this planet."

His descriptions of the Plague Marines were so graphic, and realistic.

"Shut up"

"Shutting up sir"

Spider-pope
02-01-2010, 13:03
Shame you didn't like it Spider. It was probably my favorite read this year. Well maybe not as good as Dark Disciple. Though if you are picking it up for "imperial guard vs zombies!" you are definitely reading the wrong book.

Oh certainly. Im begining to think they should have put a warning sticker on the front that it isnt the "OMG! ZOMBIES!!" book everyone who glances at the cover thinks it is.

I just think it needed a bit more polishing before release, which granted may be due more to a poor editor rather than any reduction in the talent of the author.