PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a Warhammer Wheeling template

untimention
31-12-2009, 18:16
Hi warseer.

as per the tittle im trying to find a company in the UK that sells wheeling templates for warhammer.

ive seen a few at clubs over the years however forgot who made them.

thanks

Seville
31-12-2009, 18:33
Gale Force 9

untimention
31-12-2009, 19:14
Do you have a link? i can find a visability arc but not a wheeling arc.

thanks

Seville
31-12-2009, 20:03
Hmmm. You are right. I know there is one that has inches on it. It's possible that it's a different manufacturer, I guess. I am going to see a friend tonight who owns one, so I will check on it then.

theunwantedbeing
31-12-2009, 20:09
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3885852/Warhammer-Wheeling-Ruler

That any good?

Wouldn't be all that difficult to make your own to be honest.
Just a case of knowing how to work out the length's of an arc of a circle.

xragg
31-12-2009, 20:48
So many people that have a template for measuring wheels have NO IDEA how to use the template. A template like the one theunwantedbeing linked and similar variations only work for one unit width. I have seen people use a template designed for a 100mm unit and apply it to a 200mm unit without adjusting it. When I tell them they are doing it wrong, they give me a befuddled look. In my opinion, a template that doesnt explain how to convert for varying unit widths causes more mistakes then its meant to save. I have been toying around with a prototype that would would work for any sized unit, but I am not sure what to make it on. I am considering balsa wood with burned etchings.

I feel the easiest way is to make the template for a 100mm unit (5 20mm's OR 4 25mm's) and have it incremented for every 1" of a wheel based on a 100mm unit. Granted 4 25mm's isnt ideal, but the conversions for 25mm's is super easy. If your unit is 100mm wide, simply place the template in front of the unit and see how far the wheel will cost you. If your unit is 100mm, increase/decrease the cost of the wheel by 20% for every 20mm and 25% for every 25mm. Super easy to remember since its based on 100mm and the conversions themselves really arent that cumbersome.

Take a 5 wide orc unit for example. You place the template down and see you need to make a 3" wheel on the template. The orc unit is 125mm wide, so you would increase the cost of the wheel by 25%. A 3" wheel on the template would cost that orc unit 3.75".

Hakkapelli
31-12-2009, 21:07
Isn't it easier just to bend the measuring tape from the outer edge of the unit? Not as exact but I would not think that level of presicion is necessary unless you're playing on table 1 last game in the GT.

xragg
31-12-2009, 21:18
Isn't it easier just to bend the measuring tape from the outer edge of the unit? Not as exact but I would not think that level of presicion is necessary unless you're playing on table 1 last game in the GT.

Usually yes, and I do this myself. Where I find the need to be more accurate is on close charges that involve a wheel. Soooo many times I have had my opponent tell me his unit easily made a charge, but when I have him measure the wheel accurately, he doesnt. Or at least is a lot closer then he thought it was. Generally though, no, a template isnt necessary for most fascets of the game.

Commodus Leitdorf
31-12-2009, 21:46
Hmmm. You are right. I know there is one that has inches on it. It's possible that it's a different manufacturer, I guess. I am going to see a friend tonight who owns one, so I will check on it then.

Actually, they stopped making those. I was lucky and got one before they stopped making them with inches. You'll only find the arc of visibility ones now unless your lucky and catch one on Ebay.

Duke Georgal
01-01-2010, 02:56
Litko Aerosystems in the United States made the best ones I have ever seen. 20, 25, and 40mm widths all arced out for 1 inch of wheel movement at varying lengths.

I have a complete set, and I love them.

They were pricey, and I do not see them on their web site anymore.

artisturn
01-01-2010, 04:03
I use a chopstick and a tape measure to figure out wheel measurements works great.