PDA

View Full Version : Square bases in the future?

Red Metal
31-12-2009, 22:55
So, in looking over WOTR I'm left wondering if square bases will eventually find themselves in the game. Maybe in WOTR 2nd Edition.

It seems like it would make sense for a couple of reasons. For one, it might make custom or modular movement trays easier to use - they wouldn't have all that extra space on them. Additionally, it would make large creatures (Trolls, Dragons, etc) easier to align in combat.

I know square bases would definately hurt all the armies out there right now that use circular bases; so I'm not neccessarily supporting a changed base design. I'm just wondering if it seems logical for GW to go in that direction.

31-12-2009, 23:46
I follow your thinking, but I just don't see it happening.

How would this line of business for GW benefit from asking all existing LotR and WotR players to rebase entire armies and throw away their movement trays?

lowrider
01-01-2010, 00:22
How would this line of business for GW benefit from asking all existing LotR and WotR players to rebase entire armies and throw away their movement trays?

GW would benefit from all the bases and movement trays they sell as a result of the change, that will keep the share holders happy and thats all that matters at the end of the day. ;)

_toast_
01-01-2010, 00:46
easier said then done. Although it would make things more efficient, i think for the time being, at least, that it would be too much hassle. I couldn't be arsed to redo any of my figures.

Edonil
01-01-2010, 02:14
Not at all, I have to say. Too much money invested in the movement trays. Beyond that, the models are also intended for SBG, which would still require circular bases.

The Marshel
01-01-2010, 04:48
doing so would ruin the whole duality of the miniatures thing they have going. besides, irregardless of square and circle bases, you will still need movement trays and you will still either be purchasing theirs or making your own. i don't see any point is such a major change when it wont have any real effect.

meneptah
01-01-2010, 10:29
GW would never change the bases, for simple fact that they want to keep both WOTR and WFB seperate.

Grimstonefire
01-01-2010, 14:59
I think this is extremely unlikely because it would make all their books look wrong (not necessarily a huge issue though).

It wouldn't gain anything.

LuciusAR
02-01-2010, 01:39
Not a chance. WotR and SGB need to be compatible with each others miniatures and as long as that remans the case round bases are here to stay. It's not like it's inconvenient. I think a massive benefit of WOTR is no worrying about ranking up when putting miniatures together!

Personally I hope the 2 games continue to co-exist. They are currently the best 2 core games IMHO.

Hellfury
02-01-2010, 03:59
I doubt what the OP proposes will ever happen. In the realm of "possible but HIGHLY improbable".

They would not benefit from it, unlike what lowrider posits above. There just simply is no need for an extraneous reformation of bases.

Sure, they could potentially make money from it, but I doubt any player would rip off their bases. So GW stand to lose more than just face with such a ploy.

Simply put, there is no logical reason for it.

Red Metal
02-01-2010, 06:20
Ok. Fair enough. Again, I wasn't supporting the idea, just trying to gauge if it would be something to expect from GW in the future.

Looks like I got a good poll of answers.

Mods can lock it up.