PDA

View Full Version : Are treekin worth their point value?

WoodElfGeneral
01-01-2010, 05:01
I just want to know if treekin are worth there point value.
I mean 3 of them for like 195 pts i think it is. Is that a good deal in wood elf army?

Taishar
01-01-2010, 05:05
Common opinion is that they aren't really worth it. I personally find them pretty good, as long as you have them do what they're good at (flanking, holding units, being threatening) and not trying to use them for the wrong things (mainly hitting units from the front). Like everything else in the wood elf army, they aren't an island. They have to be used in combination with other units.

Cheers

RGB
01-01-2010, 10:13
One word of advice: don't throw them at anything with a 1+ save. They will almost definitely bounce.

Other than that, I find they can really shine vs. infantry, and their S5 magic attacks are gold vs. some armies that don't like you having magic attacks.

Poseidal
01-01-2010, 10:22
I like them when I used, though I don't use them too often.

They're pretty nasty against S3 infantry (but what isn't?).

Doomseer
01-01-2010, 12:56
They do seem a bit expensive these days but I do like them. I have them supporting my Treeman and Dryads, if I can get them into a flank as part of a combo charge they are superb. I guess they are worth their points when used carefully.

Grunge
01-01-2010, 14:36
They are pretty good, the thing is the other Special options tend to be better/more useful.

But they are not bad, not at all.

JonnyTHM
01-01-2010, 14:41
You're definitely paying a premium for having a higher toughness, higher strength unit in an elf army, but they become that much stronger in that they can fill a gap in what the rest of your army can do.

Daxio
01-01-2010, 16:18
With all their saves, ward and armour, plus high toughness, I really like them, but as noted above as a flanking force. As with all wood elf units they need support.

brawnyman1989
01-01-2010, 16:30
They are awesome, but as mentioned before, need help to take down units and need to be in the flank. Otherwise, they bring some high toughness to an other wise low toughness army, (minus core dryads of course :) )

Gormereth, the Fearmonger
01-01-2010, 16:39
I mean 3 of them for like 195 pts i think it is. Is that a good deal in wood elf army?

Yes, yes they are. Their high point cost comes from several factors: WS 4, 3 wounds, T 5, they actually have good saves, I 3, and (with nine strength 5 attacks) 195 points will hit anything W3 almost as hard as a unit of Chaos Knights would. They hit hard, a suprising number of enemy units hit them on 4+ at best, Toughness 5 is remarkablely difficult to wound unless your a charging Knight/monster/etc (in which case you probably don't have a lot of static combat rez), they actually get some decent saves if you can put a wound on, and with I 3 their actually fast (tying or going first in the second round of combat against lots of units).

They're M 5, not as maneuverable as a treeman, have little static rez if any, and there are plenty of units they can't take a charge from, but with practice and finesse treekin usually earn their points back.

Kukkelukke
01-01-2010, 22:17
I totally agree with Gormereth, the Fearmonger (pheew, what a long name)..

They fill in a really good role that the army needs. Aside from the treeman they are the only unit that is able to hold a charge.! - And im not going to mention Eternal Guard, cuz they do stink!

I have 4 of them in my 2250 pts army. And a treeman Ancient.!
Having 4 is IMO a lot better than 3, making them less vulnerable to magic missiles and the likes.

Thurizdan
02-01-2010, 04:40
I'm glad to hear that they work well because I've recently finished modelling 6 of them and I haven't played a game with them yet. Would a frontal charge from 3 Treekin combined with a flank charge from 8 Dryads be able to break an infantry block?

sulla
02-01-2010, 05:44
:) The flank charge from the dryads alone is enough to break most infantry. The treekin will just be the icing on the cake.

I would recommend going with 4 treekin though. I know it's a lot of points but losing one treekin really neuters the 3 strong unit, while not doing much to the combat potential of the 4.

Poseidal
02-01-2010, 10:05
:) The flank charge from the dryads alone is enough to break most infantry. The treekin will just be the icing on the cake.

I don't know about that, maybe smaller support units but a larger unit and you're looking at having to kill 5+ before you're winning (5 wounds + Flank Attack vs. Outnumber, 3 ranks and standard+musician; no attacks back if you kill 5 usually); even with their fantastic combat stats, I don't see this happening even against T3 5+ troops. On average they fall short even against WS3 (and less against WS4+) if they get 6 in contact.

If Treekin hit the side (much less likely though), as long as there are 2 alive, they only need to kill 3 and take no wounds back to win which is reasonable given their high toughness.

If they hit the front (more likely than the side), 4 Treekin against WS4 T3 4+ (h/w+s) troops will do 4.17 wounds, 5 if they only have a 5+ save.

If you combine charges, you're looking at a win; one other they might work well with though is a BSB and Highborne (Ld10) nearby, meaning that they'll likely stick and have decimated a rank, setting up for a side charge with another unit on that one.

Hjiryon
02-01-2010, 12:13
Generally, with the power creep from around the beginning of 7th edition, the question of what's worth their points in the current game is difficult to accurately answer.
I'm finding that now, for instance, just maybe dryads are not horribly underpriced.

If you're of the opinion that the severity of the power creep is a figment of my imagination, take a look at the price of WE Waywatchers and/or Glade Guard Scouts compared to, say, DE shades.

As for Treekin, I rarely use them, because I think the models are ugly as sin. That said, I also find the unit too expensive to bother with.
They really do shine when working with the fast cavalry in the WE list, though, and as such when I do use them, it's often in combination with Wild Riders. Together, if they're allowed, they can tear up just about any block of infantry (I'll admit, I've not tried this on Warriors of Chaos, though; marchblocking and avoiding those just seems like the way to go).

Gormereth, the Fearmonger
02-01-2010, 15:35
I totally agree with Gormereth, the Fearmonger (pheew, what a long name)..

Use Gormereth (it's just easier), but another great use for them if you have more deployments than the other guy is to place them on a fairly empty flank and just don't move them turn 1 if you go first. When they get into charge range by turn 4 or 5 your opponent has usually for gotten about them (especially if he/she is in the bad habit of pilling their dead into one corner of the table).

They are rarely a good choice against Daemons if your opponent goes Khorne/Tzeentch heavy, but, then again, few things are.

fubukii
02-01-2010, 16:17
I think treekin and a pretty good investment for thier points, they are durable and hit fairly hard.

They are pretty good vs most things i would avoid the following though

Bloodthrister with FSB
Flamers both shooting and cc
1+ save knights
dragonlords

If you follow that you should be able to do well. Even vs a unit like flesh hounds they dont do poorly.

I wouldnt fight flesh hounds head to head, but you should be ok vs other daemon units.

wingedserpant
02-01-2010, 22:35
I would definetly give them a go. One of the best units for soaking enemy fire in the fragile Wood Elf army.

sergio
02-01-2010, 22:59
they're hands down my favorite unit in army. i always take at least one unit of 4. the only time i lose them is when they completely whiff their attacks, tie/lose by 1, break from combat, and get run down. this happens most games, but usually after holding up multiple units for multiple turns.

my last game, 4 of them got flanked on one side by a full unit of temple guard and a slann, flanked on the other side by terradon riders w/ a hero, and charged in the front by saurus. i held combat for about 4 rounds (tying/losing by 1-2 points), whittled all the units down. eventually i lost combat by 9 by rolling terribly/he rolled great (i think i did 0 wounds, and he did 4-5).

Voss
03-01-2010, 02:48

They are some of the best ogre-sized models in the game. (largely due to strength, toughness and the combination of saves). Magic vulnerability can be a problem, and lack of weapon options can make others situationally better.
Personally I'd take them over most of the other special choices.

SilentTempest
03-01-2010, 22:03
I like them for their ability to absorb a charge from non-ranked units. I'll qualify this by saying my main opponent plays O&G, so they don't have to deal with Blood Knights or Chaos Knights or the like, but I've found them useful for absorbing the charge and then wearing the unit down once it loses its lance bonus (although sometimes it's a little hairy as to whether they survive that charge or not).

Having said that, I play a fairly mobile army with low to medium shooting support, and don't have a great deal of trouble with flankers, given my army as a whole doesn't tend to have flanks... (I take 2 units of Glade Guard that usually get mauled, but half the reason I take them is to give my opponent a reason to cross the table, which then makes it easier for me to pick it apart)

kalabor106
05-01-2010, 07:12
4 Tree kin worked great against my vampire count army. While the rest of the wood elf army was running or getting run down the tree kin single handedly took on 25 skeleton spear men and a flank by 5 dire wolfs! I only wound them once but in return they chopped both units to bone dust.

Kukkelukke
05-01-2010, 08:00
Actually a had a friend who did the math on this.

He found out the the surviveability for 1 treekin is equal to 1,5 O&G Giant!

Excluding magical attacks etc...

So they seem pretty stable i think we all can conclude :) Even Gormeth (What an easy task this time, thx Gormeth) :P