PDA

View Full Version : Should GW sell 3 ups?

Grimstonefire
01-01-2010, 15:07
Reading something in the Mantic games thread made me wonder why GW don't do this?

Seeing as they already have very nice models in 3 up scale, could they not release some of them as FW resin casts?

I know selling between the divisions seems to be some huge obstacle, but those 3 ups are probably just shoved in the back of a drawer somewhere after they've been used.

At the very least they could offer some of them as one of a kind prizes at some point.

Harry
01-01-2010, 18:11
There are one or two that would make for great giants if they did. :D

OLIVERASO
01-01-2010, 18:19
They did make an Metal 3UP of an BFG chaos cruiser, for UK shop. ( 100 has been made ).
An metal SM. With apparently unreleased components....
And an resin 3UP of the empire cannon. Gave at US store, 1 per shop IIRC.

That's all I can remember.

All other 3UP are unreleased. And very valuable.

chaos0xomega
01-01-2010, 19:35
Forgeworld should be given the rights to produce metal castings of the 3ups, yes. If you think about it, it really is lost potential revenue for GW.

Darsc Zacal
01-01-2010, 20:17
Yes, and I agree that Forgeworld would seem the obvious choice to create them, given their experience with resin castings. I wouldn't want metal in that size of a figure.

I'd hope that GW wouldn't try limited series like Mantic is doing though. Given GW's greater popularity, I'd think that would drive the price up to a ridiculous level.

Griefbringer
01-01-2010, 20:55
Three-ups of the regular plastics might not quite match the detail level that many people expect from FW models, though.

Grimstonefire
01-01-2010, 21:10
When you think about it though, if they really don't use them any more they should just hand them over to forgeworld to play around with and improve.

A few battle damage chips here and there, more details added. Very quick to produce models.

Baggers
01-01-2010, 21:55
Yes. I would love to see 54mm scale Fellowship of the Ring. I would love to see some of the character kits as 3ups.

The Ginger Ninja
01-01-2010, 22:08
3 ups would be kick ass, imagine you and your opponent having enough 3 ups for a game...

BaloOrk
01-01-2010, 22:40
It could be a service, pay in advance, and recieve a 3up after a couple of months.

Harry
01-01-2010, 23:04
They played a Game of 3 up Warhammer at Gamesday a couple of years ago.
They 3 uped the Battle for Skull Pass. It was great fun. The figures, the dice, the rule book .... all 3 up. :D

Grimstonefire
01-01-2010, 23:18
3 Up rule book!??

Is that for those with really bad eyesight? I bet it wouldn't have made the models look any better, especially the slayers (not a fan I'm afraid).

Were the models all painted and based?

I meant to ask if there was a model in particular you were thinking of as a giant?

I think a leadbelcher would be a good one. Maybe a stormvermin as well.

Some of the war machines would actually still be useable in a game, like a grudge thrower for instance (with a mechanical arm for rocks).

Griefbringer
01-01-2010, 23:32
Was the rulebook 3-up from the mini-rulebook or from the big one?

Darsc Zacal
01-01-2010, 23:44
The 3up as giant is one use. I'd also want a 3up to display with the corresponding army in my display cabinet.

Though painting one up as a stone/metal statue for use as a terrain piece would be fun too.

Thinking about it, 3up warmachines, like the empire cannon and crew, would make very cool display pieces.

XenosVanquisher
01-01-2010, 23:50
Provided Forgeworld were the ones put in charge of the production of the 3-ups to be made available to the masses - I would be confident it would be done well, even if Forgeworld prices do make some stray.

If GW were left in charge then it would turn into a 'Buy two tickets for this and receive a limited edition this, which grants you access to this'

I hate having to dance the GW limited edition dance - I'd rather just buy it from FW.

OLIVERASO
02-01-2010, 07:28
I think a leadbelcher would be a good one. Maybe a stormvermin as well.

Only plastic minis are made in 3UP ;) .

Vermin-thing
02-01-2010, 07:44

Where have you been in the last few months? ;)

Harry
02-01-2010, 07:45
Were the models all painted and based?

I meant to ask if there was a model in particular you were thinking of as a giant?

Don't remember if they were painted ... I am going to guess they were not.

Any of the big guys would make good giants. Skaven Rat Ogre as a starting point for a hell pit abomination? New Plastic Mino as a Chaos giant? just need them to do plastic trolls for Orcs and Goblins. Until then we have Ogres.

Is there a three up for the plastic Giant ... I would love a Giant Giant. :D

But my first purchase would be the High Elf Dragon.

Was the rulebook 3-up from the mini-rulebook or from the big one?
The mini one .... from the box. (But it was a mock up .... not the whole book .... that would just be silly :D)

Darsc Zacal
02-01-2010, 08:00
Is there a three up for the plastic Giant I would love a Giant Giant. :D

A miniature giant Giant?

My brain hurts... and not just from New Years...

Darnok
02-01-2010, 09:43
I do own one of the BFG cruiser 3-ups, and I am quite pleased with it. It is of course of less detail than the other models, but its size makes up for it.

In general I would welcome the concept the OP proposes, but it is quite dependent on the individual model wether I would buy it or not. E.g. Space Marines of any kind would make excellent statues, but I can't figure out a single use apart from showcase stuff for a model like an Imperial soldier.

Both (Ogre Leadbelcher and Skaven Stormvermin) are plastic. One Leadbelcher 3-up even was even featured in WD when the OK were released.

Dai-Mongar
02-01-2010, 10:37
Is there a three up for the plastic Giant ... I would love a Giant Giant. :D

I remember reading in WD after if came out that they did make a 3-Up; it was made in a garbage can and took 3 or 4 people to remove it. :eek:
I'd love some 3-Ups to use as impressive statues, paarticularly for Epic/Warmaster. :D

Plagueridden
02-01-2010, 14:48
I'd love to see some greater models released in time.
I'd wish FW would rerelease some of their old greater models (Skaven, Gobs)
and then I can introduce them to my airbrush;).

Ujio
02-01-2010, 16:10
I remember that battle at gamesday, was one big rulebook! I wouldnt like to be painting those models though, one or two would be nice, but dam I have enough trouble painting 28mm army nvm those buggers!

OLIVERASO
02-01-2010, 16:50
Both (Ogre Leadbelcher and Skaven Stormvermin) are plastic. One Leadbelcher 3-up even was even featured in WD when the OK were released.

OK for stormvermin ; I was thinking the leadbealchers was the metal warmachine with gnoblar ;)

I have pics of the BFSP 3UP set, painted, but I didn't know they has been used at an GD.

Jetty Smurf
02-01-2010, 19:47
I have pics of the BFSP 3UP set, painted, but I didn't know they has been used at an GD.

Feel free to post those pics here, or at least a link to them please :D

If anyone does have pics of the 3UPs being used at that GD feel free to also post them or the links to them.

blongbling
03-01-2010, 18:05
There are two issues that i can see, 1)the quality on a three up is appalling and is totally lacking in any real detail to the final model 2) there is also the fact that resin manufacturing is a time consuming process so will impact upon other parts of the manufacturing process eg FW

Shipmonkey
03-01-2010, 19:01
I know selling between the divisions seems to be some huge obstacle, but those 3 ups are probably just shoved in the back of a drawer somewhere after they've been used.

I would suggest you get a copy of Cities of Death and take a good hard look at the photos within it. Following that, get a copy of Apocalypse and look at the photos in there.

doombanner
05-01-2010, 05:16
They played a Game of 3 up Warhammer at Gamesday a couple of years ago.
They 3 uped the Battle for Skull Pass. It was great fun. The figures, the dice, the rule book .... all 3 up. :D

I saw this on the website, where they had an entire set painted up.

I would have bought them in a heartbeat.

~Doom Banner

ServanoTomasin
05-01-2010, 20:26
Yes, yes they should.
There are one or two of the 3up prototypes for the techmarine & servoharness that look brilliant - yet, as they were prototypes, it is unlikely that they'll ever be seen again.
If GW sold those, I'd be happy. I'm not sure what I'd do with them, but I'd be happy.

Darnok
11-01-2010, 14:40
I saw this on the website, where they had an entire set painted up.

For anybody still interested, here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=4400093a) is the respective article. Really nice stuff.

Darsc Zacal
11-01-2010, 22:58
Those look great! Thanks very much for posting the link. I wouldn't want complete units of 3ups, but I think the odd one would make outstanding collector pieces to display with the armies I collect.

mr.kislev
12-01-2010, 10:04
hell yes. i would buy atleast 5.

The Ginger Ninja
13-01-2010, 02:37
I would by several, if they went ridiculously overpriced. if GW put them on ebay they might make a few quick bucks/quid

Zark the Damned
13-01-2010, 15:00
I would totally buy a few three ups, they'd look pretty awesome painted up as enormous statues.

Cresistauead
13-01-2010, 15:31
I wouldn't be that thrilled about the prospect. At most, I'd ever see myself getting one, depending on the price tag. The thing is, unless they have extensive detailing done, they don't look like much when painted.

Straight from the horses mouth: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=4400093a

It's just something about 'heroic 84mm' scale that's scraming OTT to me. I'd prefer les cartoonish proportions at that scale. though I have to say that the 3-up of a carnifex at warhammer world was utterly cool (or at least the vague guesses for the pricetag make me shiver).

Darsc Zacal
13-01-2010, 18:20
I've never seen a GW 3up, or any companies 3up, in person, so I can't really comment on the quality or the amount of detail. From pictures of various 3ups I've seen, I thought they looked good.

Mantic, a new miniatures company making fantasy armies in a combination of plastic and metal, is offering a limited run of some of it's 3ups, done in resin. I've been told they'll be shipping them out soon, so I'll have a chance to see for myself.:cool:

Burnthem
13-01-2010, 19:42
I'd buy a couple, if only for display. A good idea!

LOTRCROWN
13-01-2010, 20:04

It was GD06 and they where painted :) i played a game with them, was a bit of a laugh :)

i even found a pic i still have on my pc (oh and i got in whitedwarf that gamesday !!)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd14/LotrCrown/GD20068.jpg