PDA

View Full Version : Venomthrope background

Shadowfax
01-01-2010, 22:11
Have any of the Germans on the board been able to read this yet? (Or any of the Warseer Euros in other places where the codex is available for perusal, of course).

Obviously I haven't been able to delve into the English language fluff entry yet, but I've seen the rules for the creature, and it's driving me nuts that it isn't noted as a Psyker.

Is there any explanation for the Venomthrope's physiology and/or locomotive means in the fluff, or is it just passed over?

RampagingRavener
01-01-2010, 22:14
It may be entirely possible that it's psychic, but not a Psyker; much in the way that the Astropaths in an Imperial Guard command squad aren't considered Psykers, but the fluff describes them as psychic. All the Venomthrope uses its psychic abilities for is moving, though that does make one wonder why the Hive Mind didn't just give it legs.

At least, I don't think the IG Astropaths are Psykers.

Shadowfax
01-01-2010, 22:27
It's slightly less weird if there's a precedent, but I think what it really conveys is that this same oversight has been made at least once before. Looking at the codex entry fluff for the Astropath, it explicitly identifies him using the word Psyker... but you're right, he lacks the Psyker classification in his actual rules entry.

I doubt the Daemonhunters players appreciate this.

Tiu
01-01-2010, 22:42
Actually, the Venomthropes fluff states his method of locomotion: Hes filled with buoying bags of gas, and drifts... So its actually explained, though everyone who knows his physics would find the concept laughable ;)

RampagingRavener
01-01-2010, 22:48
Actually, the Venomthropes fluff states his method of locomotion: Hes filled with buoying bags of gas, and drifts... So its actually explained, though everyone who knows his physics would find the concept laughable ;)

What? Seriously? I've got about as much scientific knowledge as a bucket of gravel does, and even I can tell that just wouldn't work. It would have to be huge, or about 90% gas, in order to float freely. And that's even before touching on what happens if they're trying to move on a planet with especially strong winds...

I can just imagine broods of Venomthropes drifting upon the winds high above the battle, helplessly flailing their tentacles like oversized spore mines.

EDIT: Also, if they were shot, wouldn't they start to rocket about making ridiculous noises as they deflate, like giant balloons?

Bassline
01-01-2010, 22:51
What? Seriously? I've got about as much scientific knowledge as a bucket of gravel does, and even I can tell that just wouldn't work. It would have to be huge, or about 90% gas, in order to float freely. And that's even before touching on what happens if they're trying to move on a planet with especially strong winds...

I can just imagine broods of Venomthropes drifting upon the winds high above the battle, helplessly flailing their tentacles like oversized spore mines.

It could be a gas that is super lighter then say helium so you only need 1/2 of the amount of this gas that has been custom made to float.

Shadowfax
01-01-2010, 22:53
Wow. So they're powered by farts.

Hot background, coming through.

Ahrimanator
01-01-2010, 22:59
It could be a gas that is super lighter then say helium so you only need 1/2 of the amount of this gas that has been custom made to float.

The only gas lighter than helium is hydrogen, and it is only 1/4 the weight.
Hydrogen is highly flammable though... :evilgrin:

Bassline
01-01-2010, 23:08
The only gas lighter than helium is hydrogen, and it is only 1/4 the weight.
Hydrogen is highly flammable though... :evilgrin:

Yes because all elements have been discovered.. o wait we keep discovering more and making more.

MrSatan
01-01-2010, 23:15
Wow. So they're powered by farts.

Hot background, coming through.

Thtas SO my new sig!

Flyrant
01-01-2010, 23:18
Actually Bassline, the elements that are still being discovered are lower down on the periodic table, and thus are heavier than all the other gases.

And since Helium is the smallest possible atom, then it's the lightest possible (if my chemistry and physics are correct)

;)

But who cares: we have Necrons in 40K for goodness sakes

40K isn't realistic at all,and it isn't supposed to be

The Venomthrope moves and floats using gas within it, and so even though it appears psychic it is not

Hellebore
01-01-2010, 23:26
Yes because all elements have been discovered.. o wait we keep discovering more and making more.

You seem to missunderstand the concept of an element. Elements are defined by the number of protons in their nucleus.

Hydrogen has 1 proton, Helium has 2. You cannot get any lighter than 1 proton (as protons and neutrons create the majority of mass in an atom).

And the 'new' elements we are discovering are being artificially created in the lab because they don't form naturally. They also have a lifespan measured in seconds as they are highly radioactive.

There is virtually zero chance that we will discover a new element naturally occurring. The only chance is if we reach a point in element creation that restabilises - but then we are looking at the heaviest elements known, not the lightest.

EDIT:Where is Blargh Rawr and his organofistors? Very disappointed they didn't show up in the new codex. The background for him would be right at home in what is increasingly becoming a pulpy and rather flat image of 40k.

Hellebore

Shadowfax
01-01-2010, 23:34
At least this finally vindicates the people who claim the new Tyranids are full of hot air.

Drong
02-01-2010, 00:41
It's 40k, maybe the tyranids made gas with negative mass :O

chaos0xomega
02-01-2010, 00:55

The problem with this is, again, physical chemistry. The reason why helium and hyrdogen are lighter than air, is because, as elements, they are composed of fewer protons/neutrons than the elements that make up air. Given that neither helium nor hydrogen are poisonous, and you CANT get any lighter than hydrogen, it DOESNT WORK.

puppetmaster24
02-01-2010, 01:04
who gives a damn if it works or not it is coolish. that good enough for me.

anyway i didnt see anyone bat an eyelid when it said in the necron book they have weapons that can cut through faith.

chaos0xomega
02-01-2010, 01:34
considering that faith is a non-tangible concept, anything can cut through it. Hell, the real world bullets that we use today "cut through faith." I've never heard of a jihadists "faith" shielding him from american ballistics/ordnance.

catbarf
02-01-2010, 02:36
The density of air is 1.2kg/m^3. The density of blood and other organic bits is around 1000kg/m^3. Even if the Venomthrope used bags containing pure vacuum (even 'lighter' than hydrogen), it would need to be 99.9% vacuum in order to be neutrally buoyant.

Edit: Airships, despite their size, contain very little in the way of actual mass. The Hindenburg, for example, despite boasting a displacement of 200,000 cubic meters, could only support a mass of around 225,000kg, 16,000 of which would be taken up by the gas. If you take a look at the numbers, that's pretty much the density of air.

What this means is that the Venomthrope is completely idiotic in the absence of psychic powers. Spore mines have the same problem, but at least they look like fleshy helium balloons.

carlisimo
02-01-2010, 03:03
Well... we could just pretend that the fleshy parts of the Venomthrope are as light as paper, and/or it IS held up by a constant stream of farts. Or, more realistically, its tail does touch the ground, but between a lightweight physical structure and the gas sacks its tail is very lightly loaded. Or... when it wants to move it inflates those sacks a lot more than you see on the model.

For the physics nuts: if the gas is heated then it will be lighter than your usual helium balloon. But it's been pointed out that even if it was weightless (vacuum), it wouldn't be enough to carry the Venomthrope. Not that the rest of the 40k universe is realistic...

catbarf
02-01-2010, 03:40
But at the very least the writers are willing to throw in some psychic powers or Handwavium for a lot of the technology. Stating that the Venomthrope relies entirely on real-world, physical properties is a bit more of a stretch.

Cognitave
02-01-2010, 04:07
A fart balloon monster fits right in with machine gun grenade launchers and acid spitting super soldier...:rolleyes:

Proto11
02-01-2010, 04:55
"discovering new elements lighter than hydrogen" is typical 40k science fail :p

Hellebore
02-01-2010, 09:58
A fart balloon monster fits right in with machine gun grenade launchers and acid spitting super soldier...:rolleyes:

Well automatic grenade launchers exist now and last time I checked I can spit lots of acid on you if I stick my fingers down my throat.

But I forgot we are in the pulp 40k generation where the writers don't need to do anything intelligent, it's up to the fans who pay their wages to do it for them.

Yippee kayay TYRANNOFEX!!!

I used to think that 40k ran on rule of cool, boy how wrong I was. These days it can barely muster cool and simply goes for shallow pulpy image.

Hellebore

Tiu
02-01-2010, 10:13

But none are lighter. Its as simple as that: Hydrogen consists of 1 proton, 1 electron. You cant have less than that (unless its an Ion, but that woudnt work cause itd try to get that additional electron from somewhere, ie, the venomthrope).
All the new elements are extremely heavy, and only exist for the merest fraction of a second (the newer, the shorter lived). So no, theres nothing like a lighter element.

/end lecture

Lostanddamned
02-01-2010, 14:04
What if; the carapace was not solid plates, but instead contained a network of gas filled capillaries, which gave them in effect neutral buoyancy - letting them drift freely. The weighted tail and dorsal gas vents would allow them to remain upright and give themselves roughly guided movement. Its not brilliant, but it could work making them, in effect, sky jellyfish - and what with the tentacles and poison - I think they were meant to be.

The "toxic gas" could be the microphages (I think thats what they were called) present in all Tyranids, in a sporic form which could be inhaled and would digest anything non-Tyranid that it encounters.

The Phazer
02-01-2010, 15:09

Thank you for this. It entertained me a *lot*.

Phazer

catbarf
02-01-2010, 15:19
What if; the carapace was not solid plates, but instead contained a network of gas filled capillaries, which gave them in effect neutral buoyancy - letting them drift freely. The weighted tail and dorsal gas vents would allow them to remain upright and give themselves roughly guided movement. Its not brilliant, but it could work making them, in effect, sky jellyfish - and what with the tentacles and poison - I think they were meant to be.

Even if those gas-filled capillaries were vacuum-filled capillaries, 99.9% (did the math, see previous page) of the Venomthrope's total volume would need to be made up of these capillaries in order for it to be neutrally buoyant. It just doesn't work.

Scythe
02-01-2010, 17:25
But none are lighter. Its as simple as that: Hydrogen consists of 1 proton, 1 electron. You cant have less than that (unless its an Ion, but that woudnt work cause itd try to get that additional electron from somewhere, ie, the venomthrope).

Actually, only an extremely minor fraction of the Hydrogen atoms consists of both a proton and a neutron (Deuterium; heavy hydrogen). More than 99.9% of naturally occuring hydrogen atoms consist of a proton only.

Magos Explorator
02-01-2010, 18:05
Tiu said proton/electron, not proton/neutron.

(But you are correct that Deuterian is a minor isotope.)

Lostanddamned
02-01-2010, 18:29
Even if those gas-filled capillaries were vacuum-filled capillaries, 99.9% (did the math, see previous page) of the Venomthrope's total volume would need to be made up of these capillaries in order for it to be neutrally buoyant. It just doesn't work.

Fair point; physics isn't my field, (marine) biology is, hence the jellyfish idea... I'd love for it to work on real physics, but of course it wont...

itcamefromthedeep
02-01-2010, 19:17
Stopping to fight people makes you go faster. Once you accept that, failing to line up with high school physics isn't exactly a big deal. Any child could tell you that stopping won't make you go faster, but at least it takes an attentive high school student to see why the Venomthrope doesn't make sense.

Xandros
02-01-2010, 21:16
I posit that the Tyranids collect Land Speeder fumes for this purpose.

Cognitave
02-01-2010, 21:26
Looks like the hive mind was watching UP. There's a Lictor at paradise falls...

Scythe
03-01-2010, 10:49
Tiu said proton/electron, not proton/neutron.

(But you are correct that Deuterian is a minor isotope.)

My mistake.

*should learn to read others replies a second time before replying...*

RichBlake
03-01-2010, 11:19
The problem with this is, again, physical chemistry. The reason why helium and hyrdogen are lighter than air, is because, as elements, they are composed of fewer protons/neutrons than the elements that make up air. Given that neither helium nor hydrogen are poisonous, and you CANT get any lighter than hydrogen, it DOESNT WORK.

Warp Gas.

There. I said it ;)

the_raptor
03-01-2010, 11:31
Warp Gas.

There. I said it ;)

So psychics? :P

BramGaunt
03-01-2010, 11:41

The density of air is 1.2kg/m^3. The density of blood and other organic bits is around 1000kg/m^3. Even if the Venomthrope used bags containing pure vacuum (even 'lighter' than hydrogen), it would need to be 99.9% vacuum in order to be neutrally buoyant.

Edit: Airships, despite their size, contain very little in the way of actual mass. The Hindenburg, for example, despite boasting a displacement of 200,000 cubic meters, could only support a mass of around 225,000kg, 16,000 of which would be taken up by the gas. If you take a look at the numbers, that's pretty much the density of air.

What this means is that the Venomthrope is completely idiotic in the absence of psychic powers. Spore mines have the same problem, but at least they look like fleshy helium balloons.

Chemical Physiology my ass. Just because there are lots of things in the Universe we may not have seen yet doesn't mean that they do not exist. Who tells you that there is not such a thing as a reversed atom or a negativ amount of Protons and electrons? We could be surrounded by those things and not even being aware of it, because we have no means to detect them.

This is a Fantasy Universe. It barely holds on to the laws of physics, or at least tries to, but still, like 90 % of what we see in Warhammer 40 000 won't work - as far as we know. Now, I totally agree that from our point of view and our level of knowledge, a creature floating by gas seems a little odd.

There are billons of things in human history that all of mankind totally agreed would never happen or is impossible. If you would travel back in time (I just learned that it is theoretically possible to send messages back in time) to the middle ages and tell people the things we daily accept as given, they would call you insane (In fact, if you forgot to take off your digital watch you might aswell get burned alive.) 500 years from know mankind may be look back to our so called civilization and laugh about how stupid and ignorant we were.

So, do you guys play a fantasy-based Sci-fi tabletop where People materialize from thin air, demons posses bodies and multiply their mass when manifesting, deadly viruses consume the whole flora and fauna of a planet within minutes, where there is living metal, psykers, warp space, starships made of crystal, starships made of flesh, divine beings sucking a suns protoplasma and like ten billion other things we today would totally agree to be "********"?

Yes, the thing floats. By gas. Prove me here and now that there is 100 % no way that this is possible.
Oh yeah, and to convince me, I would request a sample of definatly 1oo % every gas from our universe and all dimensions yet to discover.

hivefleetcarrion
03-01-2010, 11:59
with the amount of orks that the nids have been fighting lately, i wouldn't have been surprised if they mentioned that it just constantly thinks, float upright, float upright, slap that marine with a tenticle, float upright......

nazrag
03-01-2010, 15:35
with the amount of orks that the nids have been fighting lately, i wouldn't have been surprised if they mentioned that it just constantly thinks, float upright, float upright, slap that marine with a tenticle, float upright......

This!! :wtf:

itcamefromthedeep
03-01-2010, 19:08
This reminds me a bit of a player who complained about fantasy Skeleton Warriors using horns on their musicians. My response was something like this:

You have a creature that thinks without a brain, moves without muscles, holds together without tendons or skin, sees without eyes, hears without ears, and you call shenanigans on the tuba?

I see some parallels. If the gas pockets are what breaks your suspension of disbelief, I suggest you go back and review 40k in general, and Tyranids specifically.

catbarf
03-01-2010, 19:37
It's not that it doesn't follow real-world physics, it's that in a setting full of ways to avoid violating real-world physics (Psychic powers, applied phlebotinum), the background makes it clear that these critters are supposed to operate by real-world principles. That's the issue.

Heck, all these people going on about how there's so much we haven't discovered yet (a very poor excuse, but that's another matter), are saying the same thing: that all they need to do is make something up and substitute it as an answer. But instead the background is that they float on pockets of gas like airships.

I'm fine with Star Trek telling me that warp engines work because of X, Y, and Z, even if X, Y, and Z are far-fetched sci-fi concepts. I would not be fine with Star Trek telling me that warp engines are really just repurposed steam boilers, and that the power of steam can be harnessed to travel across the galaxy. One explanation is internally consistent, the other is not.

Shadowfax
03-01-2010, 23:02
It's not that it doesn't follow real-world physics, it's that in a setting full of ways to avoid violating real-world physics (Psychic powers, applied phlebotinum), the background makes it clear that these critters are supposed to operate by real-world principles. That's the issue.
It's really as simple as that.

The appearance of the Venomthrope is obviously based on the Zoanthrope (or the Malanthrope, which itself was based on the Zoanthrope) so why not just keep their means of movement the same. Why is the Hive Mind designing creatures that have the same body type and move in different ways? It is getting bored of its own innovations?

My problem is less with the fluff being stupid than it is with the writers of the fluff being stupid.

azimaith
04-01-2010, 00:07
On the plus side, a venomthrope can float combined with directed and powered expulsion of gas. IE A fart vtol.

That's not including especially heated gas as well. Add in biological airfoils to catch wind and you've got a floaty, farty thing that provides cover saves. (After all, who wouldn't have their aim spoiled, if a giant fart octopus was releasing hundreds of super heated farts a minute as it drew closer?)

Of course, you could also posit their internals have such high stores of energies they can split hydrogen atoms into their composit quarks, gluons, and other particles making a "lighter than hydrogen" substance by constantly providing enough energy to break any forming bonds. Of course if they could do that they'd just drop venomthropes to nuke everything.

catbarf
04-01-2010, 00:43
On the plus side, a venomthrope can float combined with directed and powered expulsion of gas. IE A fart vtol.

That's not including especially heated gas as well. Add in biological airfoils to catch wind and you've got a floaty, farty thing that provides cover saves. (After all, who wouldn't have their aim spoiled, if a giant fart octopus was releasing hundreds of super heated farts a minute as it drew closer?)

Of course, you could also posit their internals have such high stores of energies they can split hydrogen atoms into their composit quarks, gluons, and other particles making a "lighter than hydrogen" substance by constantly providing enough energy to break any forming bonds. Of course if they could do that they'd just drop venomthropes to nuke everything.

I like the idea of having it be self-propelled and gliding on heat currents, but to be honest the model suggests neither of these. As for your last suggestion, I like the creativity, but nothing beats a vacuum for sheer buoyancy and even that's not enough.

Iverald
04-01-2010, 17:17
Fart vtol... then they should have evolved safety labels with "Do not use open fire within 30'"
:angel:

To work like a vtol they'd need constant jet of gas as per the third Newton's law.

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2010, 18:09
Lets not use real world physics to disprove a sci-fantasy creation.

Anyway your all wrong because you are all working upon the wrong assumptions. You are assumming that all the battlefields that the Vemonthrope are deployed in are 1G. Your real world physics are not going to work until you find out the exact gravity and the exact method of propulsion the creature uses. If the gravitys light enough it won't need all that gas to keep it boyant, it could infact mantain its altitude with a gentle nudge of its tail or as you all so eloquontly put it, the power of its farts.

Mannimarco
04-01-2010, 18:18
its going to be interesting seeing people explain how if the wind is so strong it makes battlecannon shells fly wildly off course (somtimes ending up behind the tank or even hitting somthing behind them) then why doesnt a venomthrope get blown away

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2010, 18:26
its going to be interesting seeing people explain how if the wind is so strong it makes battlecannon shells fly wildly off course (somtimes ending up behind the tank or even hitting somthing behind them) then why doesnt a venomthrope get blown away

Could also be because of the primitiveness of the imperiums technology coupled with the difficulty of shooting a moving target from a moving platform when the grounds all been churned up into dust and there blinding lights flashing in all directions.

catbarf
05-01-2010, 00:19
Lets not use real world physics to disprove a sci-fantasy creation.

Anyway your all wrong because you are all working upon the wrong assumptions. You are assumming that all the battlefields that the Vemonthrope are deployed in are 1G. Your real world physics are not going to work until you find out the exact gravity and the exact method of propulsion the creature uses. If the gravitys light enough it won't need all that gas to keep it boyant, it could infact mantain its altitude with a gentle nudge of its tail or as you all so eloquontly put it, the power of its farts.

Gravity doesn't matter for buoyancy, only the density of the air. If the air is significantly denser than on Earth (aiding buoyancy), humans can't breathe it plus the gravity would likely be too high for humans (Denser atmosphere typically requires more gravity) and so they would not be on any such planet. So that argument doesn't work either.

bt40k
05-01-2010, 01:39
So if the venomthrope was 99.9% explosive gas, wouldn't it have a toughness of 1 and a and armor of "-"? Maybe it does, I havn't seent the stats.

Anyhow, I liked the warp gas suggestion. I got one better though...

Void Whale Gas

itcamefromthedeep
05-01-2010, 02:59
If it really bugs you, then pretend the Venomthrope is in a "leaping" pose, and normally rests its weight on most of the tentacles. Those tentacles could be strong enough to hold its weight.

starlight
05-01-2010, 03:23
Better yet...

...does it matter...? Seriously...will it stop you from playing the game...?

I'm going back to rolling dice with my 8' tall super soldiers, fungus-based soccer hooligans, pointy-eared clown pirates, and lowly guys with flashlights... :p

daboarder
05-01-2010, 03:57
And the 'new' elements we are discovering are being artificially created in the lab because they don't form naturally. They also have a lifespan measured in seconds as they are highly radioactive.

There is virtually zero chance that we will discover a new element naturally occurring. The only chance is if we reach a point in element creation that restabilises - but then we are looking at the heaviest elements known, not the lightest.

not entirely accurate. the reason those are being created is because they are not naturally occuring on EARTH. They are still found on other bodies in space. for example there are elements that occur in comet tails that don't occur on earth.

Scythe
05-01-2010, 08:24
(Denser atmosphere typically requires more gravity)

It helps, but is not needed. Case point: surface of Venus. Not that Venus is a good planet for humans anyway, but meh.

Anyway, being dependant of the thickness of an atmosphere of a random planet doesn't really seem like a great idea to me, especially if you intend to strip away that atmosphere. 40k logic I guess ;)

Tymell
05-01-2010, 08:32
Let's be honest here, this is not the first time Tyranids have been explained as doing something that doesn't make a lot of biological sense ;) Nor the first time 40K in general does.

I'm not really too fussed. I would imagine it only just having enough to keep off the ground, and then using it's tentacles to guide itself beyond that.

Scythe
05-01-2010, 08:56
Let's be honest here, this is not the first time Tyranids have been explained as doing something that doesn't make a lot of biological sense ;) Nor the first time 40K in general does.

Like the bit where they strip a planet of all its resources, mainly the bits about atmosphere or water? An earthlike planet contains more than 1.000.000.000 km3 of water alone. You'd need about that number of capital 40k starships to transport that across the stars alone. Which such a number of Tyranid vessels per devoured planet, we're all doomed ;)

Numbers and 40k have never really worked together very well...:p

hivefleetcarrion
05-01-2010, 09:46
Like the bit where they strip a planet of all its resources, mainly the bits about atmosphere or water? An earthlike planet contains more than 1.000.000.000 km3 of water alone. You'd need about that number of capital 40k starships to transport that across the stars alone. Which such a number of Tyranid vessels per devoured planet, we're all doomed ;)

Numbers and 40k have never really worked together very well...:p

Don't you know that 6th ed nids will have water mines and a new hydrovore model with a giant water cannon on its back :D

i don't see the problem with the way any of the nid creatures move. most have legs, and in the past all the floatly ones have been strong psykers

add this with the way they take good dna from other species (zoans =eldar-pskyer potential), (orks = biovores - not sure what they got out of this) and tyrant guard = space marines - extra toughness). maybe the hivemind decided to mix some ork and eldar dna together and the venomthroap is the result?

Scythe
05-01-2010, 10:44
Don't you know that 6th ed nids will have water mines and a new hydrovore model with a giant water cannon on its back :D

It would be easier for Nids to just drop all those oceans they collected on to their target planet and drown any resistance there ;)

Tymell
05-01-2010, 10:45
Like the bit where they strip a planet of all its resources, mainly the bits about atmosphere or water? An earthlike planet contains more than 1.000.000.000 km3 of water alone. You'd need about that number of capital 40k starships to transport that across the stars alone. Which such a number of Tyranid vessels per devoured planet

Exactly ;) At the end of the day, it's a tabeltop wargame. This doesn't mean you can't examine it and even critique things that seem overly odd/daft, but it's certainly not the first such example.

we're all doomed ;)

Totally off-topic, but: Great, and now you've got me wanting to do a Dad's Army themed Guard squad :p

Orcboy_Phil
05-01-2010, 11:33

That reminds me of the blatoise a friend of mine made from a Carnifex. :angel:

hivefleetcarrion
05-01-2010, 12:06
That reminds me of the blatoise a friend of mine made from a Carnifex. :angel:

with the current rule/point changes, that blatoise would likely be more powerful then the normal fexs :)

Archangel_Ruined
05-01-2010, 12:26
I've worked it out, it's a bit complicated so bear with me, there might be bits you don't understand so hang in there for the conclusion and general gist:

It's a glorified toy soldier made out of metal...

Any questions? Really, people, I can't be dealing with GCSE physics being thrown around to try and explain what is quite clearly inexplicable, re. alledgedly intelligent people arguing over whether a fiction of imagination is floating due to anti matter in a universe ran by magic toads. Come on, rule of cool and all that jazz.

blurrymadness
06-01-2010, 22:37
The only gas lighter than helium is hydrogen, and it is only 1/4 the weight.Yes because all elements have been discovered.. o wait we keep discovering more and making more.

sig'd. lmao

Neffertech
06-01-2010, 22:57
Venompthropes are fully of lighter than air gas?

Oh the Humanity.

Remoah
09-01-2010, 03:51
not entirely accurate. the reason those are being created is because they are not naturally occuring on EARTH. They are still found on other bodies in space. for example there are elements that occur in comet tails that don't occur on earth.

Exactly...
Californium Isotopes exist in outer space, but must first be synthesised on earth. Most of the 'Un-' elements that have been synthesised only last for trillionths of a second.

But irregardless, Hydrogen is, and will be, the lightest gas available, element 118 could be a gas, but it will still be heavier than hydrogen.

Wolfblade670
19-01-2010, 23:51
Totally off-topic, but: Great, and now you've got me wanting to do a Dad's Army themed Guard squad :p

This must be done. :D

Juggalo
04-02-2010, 10:52
Exactly...
Californium Isotopes exist in outer space, but must first be synthesised on earth. Most of the 'Un-' elements that have been synthesised only last for trillionths of a second.

But irregardless, Hydrogen is, and will be, the lightest gas available, element 118 could be a gas, but it will still be heavier than hydrogen.
Did you really just use "irregardless" as a real word? The Inquisition has been dispatched to your domicile to rectally violate you with a shovel before forcing you to dig your own grave with it. ;)

TheShadowCow
04-02-2010, 11:24
New Codex backlash, nothing more. Spore Mines have been "floating" by means of an internal gas-bladder since the dawn of time, and yet we never had to sit through a large "SPORE MINES R TEH SUCKY CONCEPT!!!111" thread.