PDA

View Full Version : Those ikea glass cabinets

rabblerouser
01-01-2010, 22:25
How many of you have them for your figures?

IJW
01-01-2010, 22:39
Just one, with another waiting to be put together. Most of my collection is either in figure cases or two (large!) draws of a plan chest.

Darnok
01-01-2010, 23:36
Two.

One in the living room for showcase stuff (aka painted armies and some models I consider to be my best), and one in my room for WIP stuff, to remind me of it without blocking my work space.

They are nice, and quite cheap, but have one major downside: they are not airtight. So whatever is inside will gather dust over time.

Nuada
01-01-2010, 23:43
I have three.

But i've found i still don't have enough room, so i've bought some extra shelves. I've made it so there's 8 shelves per cabinet now.

XenosVanquisher
01-01-2010, 23:53
I only have one - anything else (minis I game with primarily) is kept in it's respective carry case.

rabblerouser
02-01-2010, 00:03
I have three.

But i've found i still don't have enough room, so i've bought some extra shelves. I've made it so there's 8 shelves per cabinet now.

How did you do that? The little crossmember rods are welded on.
Maybe we are talking about different cabinets? I have the detolf, but there are two other models they offer.

nanktank
02-01-2010, 03:10
I found an article on how to do it to the Detolf, just wish I could figure out how to do it to the biby.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24224&mode=threaded&pid=200774

Hicks
02-01-2010, 05:23
I got 2, they aren't the IKEA ones, but very close and they costed me a lot more. If I get more, I'll be sure to pick up the IKEA ones though.

starlight
02-01-2010, 05:46
I wish! :)

One day...one day...

Pixplzkthks... :D

XenosVanquisher
02-01-2010, 07:16
I wish! :)

One day...one day...

Pixplzkthks... :D

This (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30114613) is the exact one that I have.

Both affordable and good quality.

Dai-Mongar
02-01-2010, 07:43
Cabinets? You mean you don't just keep them in ice cream containers in your wardrobe? :wtf:

Moralein
02-01-2010, 09:52
OK, I have to admit that I might have a problem!

I've got ten of the things and really need another 3 or 4 more to give me storage for the rest of my stuff! At the moment the 10 I've got are jam packed with all my painted stuff, but when I get around to finishing the rest of my models I'll need more space.

Is there a Warhammer Anonymous for addicts? :)

Angelwing
02-01-2010, 10:12
None. I hated having to dust the one's in the shop when I was redshirt.
Warhammer world staff are the same. Check out the miniature hall upstairs. The amount of dust is shocking, with cobwebs lurking on some models!

Nuada
02-01-2010, 10:14
How did you do that? The little crossmember rods are welded on.
Maybe we are talking about different cabinets? I have the detolf, but there are two other models they offer.

Yeah i have the same cabinet, a detolf. I got my shelf dividers from ikea as well, it's a metal shelf with legs that sits on top of the glass. I think they're used in the kitchen, can't remember the name.

Lord_Dante
02-01-2010, 10:18
I have one of the ikea ones and one I got from Argos that is double the width with5 shelves instead of 4. The argos one cost me over 200 though :( Would happily replace it with two of the ikea ones at a fraction of the cost.

Edit-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-3mm-Galvanised-Wire-Rope-Grips_W0QQitemZ110368140672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?has h=item19b2742d80

The wire grips used in the guide! Glazer has done glass of a similar size for a fish tank for around 3. Going to have to give it a go I reckon :)

alexh
02-01-2010, 11:09
I have one and am planning to get more as soon as I can persuade my dad to drive up to ikea.

Nephilim of Sin
02-01-2010, 11:22
So are these actually cost effective, or are there better options out there?

Lord_Dante
02-01-2010, 11:49
I've yet to see any cheaper, and I think the quality is great when comparing to my argos one.

XenosVanquisher
02-01-2010, 12:05
The Ikea one that I have is far superior to the Argos one my brother owns - I think I'm right in saying he also paid double the price.

Serves him right =P

Nephilim of Sin
02-01-2010, 12:39
Good news then. I have been thinking about getting a cabinet for a while, but was unsure about the Ikea ones. Thanks for the info!

DCLXVI
02-01-2010, 13:53
I hadn't really considered cabinets before (most of my minis sit in toolboxes or other boxes), but after seeing how much the Ikea ones are due to this thread, I'm gonna have to get me some. Thanks guys :)

Lord_Dante
02-01-2010, 14:03
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6141169/Trail/searchtext%3EGLASS+DISPLAY+CABINET.htm

Here is the one I was talking about before in case anyone is interested.

My two next to each other.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/miniaturemadness/02012010118.jpg

DCLXVI
02-01-2010, 14:17
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6141169/Trail/searchtext%3EGLASS+DISPLAY+CABINET.htm

Here is the one I was talking about before in case anyone is interested.

My two next to each other.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/miniaturemadness/02012010118.jpg
Sheesh, the Argos one's nice, but so expensive! Think I'll invest in the Ikea one meself.

(We've got some skeletal hand Nemesis Now goblets too - and a life-size skull, and a statue of Baphomet etc) :evilgrin: hehe

Sleazy
02-01-2010, 14:37
I've got 2 of the ikea ones. Pretty good value at 39 (plus a tenner for the light fittings)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10119206

RevEv
02-01-2010, 19:31
I've always longed after those ones but have no room for them.

Instead we have two disparate cabinets, both IKEA but not matching. The best one is the Billy one with glass doors. I have a selection of FB models in that one, with 40K in the larger one.

We both dream of the day when we have the space for a dedicated games room.

Bob Hunk
02-01-2010, 19:39
Just bought one of the Ikea ones and it's great. :) Not looking forward to doing the dusting as others have commented, but oh well, I think it'll still be worth it.

IJW
02-01-2010, 19:48
Looks like we're all talking about different cabinets. The one I've got is quite shallow and only the door is glass - but it's pretty much dust-proof with the door closed which is good as I also hate dusting. ;) Lots of shelves as well.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/38047210

theenigma
02-01-2010, 20:21
Hey folks,

These cabinets are just the ones I have been searching for!

I noticed a few posts back that a few of you also add more lighting to the cabinets (or install some if the cabinet doesnt feature any). I did a search on the Ikea site and it came back with 40-odd pages of lighting fixtures! Can you give me more of an idea of the type of extra lights you have installed?

Also, this is in some way relevant to the above, are there any lights that I should aim to avoid if I don't want my minis / collectables to fade? I would hate to put all my bits and bobs on display only to see them ruined by some silly lighting, installed by a silly naive person :D

Apart from the Bertby cabinets, are there any others that keep the air / dust out? Really don't fancy having to give my stuff a dust every week! :evilgrin: The Norden and Linnarp look pretty good, anyone have experience with these?

Cheers,
Harv

starlight
02-01-2010, 20:56
The Ikea Detolf http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10119206 one seems to be the best value for money. :)

Lord_Dante
02-01-2010, 21:41
I also find I don't have to dust as often as when my models were just on shelves. Obviously in a box would be better for prevention of dust but I like displaying them :)

RevEv
03-01-2010, 00:47
Hey folks,

These cabinets are just the ones I have been searching for!

I noticed a few posts back that a few of you also add more lighting to the cabinets (or install some if the cabinet doesnt feature any). I did a search on the Ikea site and it came back with 40-odd pages of lighting fixtures! Can you give me more of an idea of the type of extra lights you have installed?

Also, this is in some way relevant to the above, are there any lights that I should aim to avoid if I don't want my minis / collectables to fade? I would hate to put all my bits and bobs on display only to see them ruined by some silly lighting, installed by a silly naive person :D

Apart from the Bertby cabinets, are there any others that keep the air / dust out? Really don't fancy having to give my stuff a dust every week! :evilgrin: The Norden and Linnarp look pretty good, anyone have experience with these?

Cheers,
Harv

IKEA do some great stick on strip lights
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30119408

I've wanted to fit some for ages but Mrs RevEv won't let me :(

Grapeshot
03-01-2010, 01:24
I got one from Ikea. I don't need more as my painted minis hardly fill up half of the cabinet.

spaint2k
03-01-2010, 03:43
On the dust issue, would it be possible to rig up a computer fan with a dust filter on it so that air is being pumped in at one spot creating positive pressure around the doorway and cracks? That would keep the dust out.

Rick Blaine
03-01-2010, 14:42
I have one of these in black
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S29837886
Holds 8 of my armies.

Ph4lanx
03-01-2010, 21:36
So which of these cabinets do you guys reckon? I'm looking to get my first cabinet and am looking at the ones you guys are mentioning:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30114613
or
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10119206

starlight
04-01-2010, 00:02
Would rather have the glass sides of the second one (Detolf). :) I'll likely get 2-3 the next trip over... :)

Light of the Emperor
04-01-2010, 01:19
Love the Detolf. I actually have 5 in my gaming basement. I took three of them and had extra shelf bars welded on. That effectively doubled my space.

Schmapdi
04-01-2010, 06:11
IMO - the Detolf's shelves are too small, and too few to be effective. You'd need 5 of them to store anything :P

I'm actually eyeballing this one as my favorite - since no one else has mentioned it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40128563

It's short and wide - with two huge shelves (that are adjustable, so with a little effort of getting some glass cut, you could add a third/fourth) and a nice little understowage that I think would be a handy place to store hobby supplies/terrain/etc.

Plus - you could easily throw a tablecloth over it to hide your nerdiness if need be.

starlight
04-01-2010, 06:21
Aside from the 30% surcharge for being Canadian, it looks like good value at the US price...although I'd prefer something vertical for better use of space... :)

Bloodknight
04-01-2010, 07:33
I am using 2 Detolf currently. Once I get a dedicated gaming room, I guess it will be more like 5, they're good value.

Ph4lanx
04-01-2010, 13:44
How often do you guys need to clean the models/cabinet? I'm definitely going to get one, but am worried I'll just be spending ages cleaning stuff instead of building/painting new things ;)

Lord_Dante
04-01-2010, 14:09
Probably do mine twice a year. Could do with more but they aren't that bad that you really notice it. I sometimes just clean a shelf when I take an army out for whatever reason and clean as I go.

Count Zero
04-01-2010, 14:35
i had a detlof, but founds it very poor use of space, as other say you need to add extra shelves really. but its cheap! so if you have the space its probably a good buy.

thsi one seems new
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60128562

if you can wall mount I've thought this one would be good small models lots of shelves, may struggle with tanks/ monsters though:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00093136

starlight
04-01-2010, 18:23
Unless I find a better option, I'll be getting at least 2-3 extra shelves for each of the Detolfs. :) I agree they aren't the best use *as is*, but they seem to be the best value at the moment... I like the glass sides...less lighting required

Ph4lanx
04-01-2010, 18:24
starlight, are you doing that modification to the Detolf to get more shelves in, or is there some upgrade pack or something?

starlight
04-01-2010, 18:31
No upgrades I'm aware of... :( I'll figure something out for additional shelf supports and buy extra glass shelves locally...

Unless I find something else more suitable in the mean time. The nearest Ikea is a day-trip away from where I live, but The Redhead wants some stuff too, so we'll likely make a trip next month...in the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open... :)

sigur
04-01-2010, 18:35
I got one. Maybe I should get more but I never really know wether i move out any soon or not.

A question connected to the topic at hand; do you guys have your minis actually displayed at a prominent place in your flat?

Tonberry
04-01-2010, 18:39
+1 vote for the detolf.

As to lighting it comes with a hole in the top and ikea have the round lighting kits that fit it for a tenner.

starlight
04-01-2010, 18:40
I have a hobby room for most of my geeky pursuits...that's where stuff gets displayed. :) Although not much is out right now (being mostly in storage), but I'd like to change that...mostly for the motivational aspects... :)

Velsharoon
04-01-2010, 18:47
I share a house with a girl I know (her family owns it I am just a lodger). I have the Detolf one sitting in full view in our living room, she doesnt mind and people always say its cool, although I am always slightly nervous when strangers come in!

Its so cheap its criminal, but with everyone else I suggest you add in extra shelves or something to make use of the space. Also shell out the extra 10 quid for the light, I didnt and have regretted it. I could just go and buy a fitting but *effort*

Tonberry
04-01-2010, 18:50
I suppose you could just get a desk lamp with one of those twissly swissly neck things and shine it through the hole.

starlight
04-01-2010, 18:57
The hole is for the power cord/fixture...it's too small to allow any useful amount of light itself... :)

Ph4lanx
04-01-2010, 18:58
+1 vote for the detolf.

As to lighting it comes with a hole in the top and ikea have the round lighting kits that fit it for a tenner.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the kit would you? I can buy it when I buy the cabinet.

Tonberry
04-01-2010, 19:04
You wouldn't happen to know the name of the kit would you? I can buy it when I buy the cabinet.

I guess from your location that you'll be going to the IKEA in Windsor, and when I went there to get mine the lights were in a bin right next to where the detolf was on display, can't miss them.

Ph4lanx
04-01-2010, 19:38
Ah excellent, thank you my friend.

Bloodknight
04-01-2010, 19:46
A question connected to the topic at hand; do you guys have your minis actually displayed at a prominent place in your flat?

Yep, they're in my living room.

Count Zero
04-01-2010, 23:24
the light i had was a stick on battery operated led jobbie. also sold in ikea and you just 'push' the light to turn it on and off. no need for wiring etc.

AndrewGPaul
05-01-2010, 09:18
I guess from your location that you'll be going to the IKEA in Windsor, and when I went there to get mine the lights were in a bin right next to where the detolf was on display, can't miss them.

I didn't realise, until I'd got to the warehouse section, that the light wasn't included. I had to retrace my steps till I found it. :(

The one you want is the HOPEN spotlight:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70119369

Tonberry
05-01-2010, 09:32
I didn't realise, until I'd got to the warehouse section, that the light wasn't included. I had to retrace my steps till I found it. :(

*facepalm*

It's a good job that I didn't do the exact same thing... isn't it.... wait a minute... :cries:

But yeah it's right there and that's the one you want :)

Tves
05-01-2010, 10:05
Have only a single one, which is sitting in my hobby room, mostly to keep stuff in view and urge me to paint more.

although I have to admit I was tempted to get one of these

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70119166

As they are slightly nicer looking than the Deltof, and comes with a drawer that is just large enough to be lined with foam for storage as well.

But seriously, thanks for the additional shelf installation tutorial. thats the Deltofs only fault, far to few shelves

mr.kislev
05-01-2010, 10:58
i have 2 detolfs.

doombanner
05-01-2010, 16:40
I have one of the ikea ones and one I got from Argos that is double the width with5 shelves instead of 4. The argos one cost me over 200 though :( Would happily replace it with two of the ikea ones at a fraction of the cost.

I wouldn't. Ikea stuff is almost universally garbage; great if you just finsihed university and are moving out on your own, but it doesn't last for more than a move or two.

~Doom Banner

Moralein
05-01-2010, 16:57
I've had my Ikea units for several years now, there's not much (beyond the obvious) that can go wrong with 2 bits of wood and 4 sheets of glass. They've survived 3 house moves and each time I've moved the things fully assembled on my own. That meant dragging the things up flights of stairs and out of vans. the worst I've suffered is that some of the wood effect has chipped off. For the price you can't get better.

starlight
05-01-2010, 18:40
Ikea isn't meant for moving...many movers even state that they don't cover damage to particleboard (which is what a good deal of Ikea stuff is made from), but the Detolf is all glass, so as long as it's packed well, it should be okay. :)

Besides, I've likely only got one more move... ;)

Lord_Dante
05-01-2010, 19:52
I wouldn't. Ikea stuff is almost universally garbage; great if you just finsihed university and are moving out on your own, but it doesn't last for more than a move or two.

~Doom Banner

I've moved four times in the last 6 years. Argos one is twisting everytime it moves, and suffering from wear and tear all over (Though it's hardly touched). The ikea one is in mint condition. I've got quite a bit of Ikea furniture and IMHO it's great quality. Argos on the other hand makes some right pieces of crap.

Codsticker
05-01-2010, 20:01
I have one army in the china cabinet, and another two in cases. Unfortunately my wife wants the cabinet back so I may have to make other arrangements. :(

Ph4lanx
05-01-2010, 21:47
Well I'll be heading to IKEA to buy a Detolf on Thursday night, so hopefully that's a weekend project for me ;)

Bloodknight
05-01-2010, 21:53
I was going to buy another Detolf today, but after 2 kilometers my car's brakes completely failed from out of nowhere because seemingly the frost killed a brake pipe. Now that was an interesting feeling . :wtf::( Good thing I wasn't on the Autobahn already and got to stop the car with the engine before hitting somebody or something.

ZeroTwentythree
05-01-2010, 22:09

I've got one of the Detolf cabinets in question, as well as a few other pieces of Ikea furniture. We also spec some of their stuff at work. I think the quality is really mixed. Some of their products really are flimsy, but there are quite a few great buys at Ikea. But the price of many items, the Detolf included, is what makes it hard to pass up. I think the Detolf is somewhere in between. I'd decently made, though it could use a few improvements.

Constant moving isn't exactly what most furniture is made for. Unless you live in a yurt or something. That said, mine has moved 3 times and is still fine. ;)

For me, it doesn't hold a enough, so I mostly use it for a few display pieces in my workroom. Most of my armies travel a lot, so I keep them stored in their containers. I've never had much trouble with dust.

If/when I get a dedicated game room where I do a lot of gaming & want to display armies, I will probably go with something other than the Detolf. It seems like it's better for a few focal point display pieces than mass storage or large scale display in a home. But that's just my opinion.

I was going to buy another Detolf today, but after 2 kilometers my car's brakes completely failed from out of nowhere because seemingly the frost killed a brake pipe. Now that was an interesting feeling . :wtf::( Good thing I wasn't on the Autobahn already and got to stop the car with the engine before hitting somebody or something.

:eek: Glad to hear you survived! That sucks!

IJW
05-01-2010, 23:40
Bloodknight - good to hear you were OK, I had to take a few detours this evening on my way home from gaming, to avoid the 25% hill that was already icing over by 17:00...

Doombanner - some IKEA stuff is garbage. The good stuff will survive as many moves as you throw at it, assuming you aren't literally throwing the furniture around.

AndrewGPaul
06-01-2010, 15:41
Finally built mine last night. Turns out, the screws to mount the lamp to the cabinet are also not included! Luckily I've got a little pile of assorted woodscrews.

The cheaper stuff - the ubiquitous Billy bookcases, for instance, are decent enough, but probably wouldn't stand up to too much rough handling. Our kitchen table and chairs, however, are solid wood, and pretty sturdy.

Another option for extra shelves, if I knew where to get them, would be the sort of acrylic stands that places like Currys use to display cameras in glass cases. Simple flat-topped U-shaped pieces. There must be somewhere on the internet selling them. You could have two or three stepped on one shelf.

Teufelskerl
07-01-2010, 21:46
I own two of the Detolfs, bought them mostly to display my Titans, although some other stuff has crept in there too. They stay reasonably dust free (compared to simply sticking the models on a shelf), are cheap and, being 95% glass, display things well. For Cons, they are very heavy (being 95% glass) and could use at least two more shelves (particularly if you are displaying things other than Titans.)

(My thanks for the link to the idea of using wire clamps for adding shelves, very clever and much appreciated.)

I've kept myself from buying any more than two, although it's a difficult resolution to keep. Once you stick your toe in the water you find yourself wanting to display all of your painted models; were I to do that I'd need at least a dozen more cabinets, would have no more wall space for any of my art work, and would also find myself with a hundred empty foam trays that were doing nothing but take up space. In the end I think it's cheaper to buy Sabol foam trays and shelving units to store them on, plus they end up taking less space. Sure, you can't SEE the models, but at least they are all safe and dust-free.

Frederich

sparks
07-01-2010, 22:31
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=acrylic+stand&_sacat=See-All-Categories

For those acrylic stands! May have to look into the possibility of getting one, will keep an eye on this thread!

starlight
08-01-2010, 03:05
That's my problem...get some models out...then I'll want *all* of them out...and that'll mean they all have to be converted and painted so I can show them off...

...and that'll likely mean a full wall of Detolfs...at least six with extra shelves... :eek:

...*although*...that would likely free up storage space and streamline the room a bit...and...

NOOOOOOOooooooo....... :cries:

theenigma
08-01-2010, 08:13
Hey again Chaps,

Found this Place (http://www.3ddisplays.co.uk/) that sells Acrylic Cases (http://www.3ddisplays.co.uk/displays/displaycases-wall.htm) but not really in the size that most are interested in.

Perhaps it would be worth investigating a little more as I am sure that if we got together and found a good manufacturer and bulk ordered a few dozen we could get a good price?

Honestly not trying to go off and on about these chaps but they are at least based in the UK compared to some of the companies out there.

Cheers,
Harv :)

AndrewGPaul
08-01-2010, 08:59
The various stands are more what I was looking at. For example, the shelves:

http://www.3ddisplays.co.uk/displays/lifts-shelf.htm

I plan on simply rotating the minis displayed in the cabinet every so often. :)

starlight
08-01-2010, 09:04
Nice, but pricey...

Norsehawk
08-01-2010, 17:25
One of these days I'm going to make it over to the semi local IKEA and pick up some stuff. I've thought a lot between the Detolf and the Billy bookcases with glass doors added for mini storage. Currently, I'm sort of leaning towards the Billy, but who knows. (I have huge armies and the extra space would really help)

alexh
08-01-2010, 18:24

This is the light I got for mine as it was recommended on the card next to the cabinet display http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50119313. Plus the designer has a really cool name.

Ph4lanx
08-01-2010, 18:37
Well, I have just got back from IKEA, and am now armed with a Detolf cabinet and a Grundtal light fixture, both in black. Little project for me tonight or tomorrow (depending on how I feel after dinner!) :)

We'll see how it goes.

AndrewGPaul
09-01-2010, 23:41
How odd; my Ikea recommended the Hopen light. In any case, there's not much difference beween the Hopen and the Grundtal. The Hopen has an extra 'ring' with mounting holes for screwing it down. The Grundtal doesn't appear to have that, so I'm not sure how you'd go about attaching it to the cabinet. You may have to increase the size of the hole at the top.

Chucklemoney
10-01-2010, 00:34
Had been thinking about getting a cabinet and after reading this thread - and the fact that i'm redecorating - it has become a definate.

Question for those of you with Detolff's though, just how much can actually be fitted in . I know it is quite an open question but any idea at all would help...

Bloodknight
10-01-2010, 00:51
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/ninurta666/Imps/Fusslatscher.jpg

This is the top shelf of one of my Detolfs, as you can see, there are roughly 120 Guard infantry on it (the units on the left are cut off in the picture).

starlight
10-01-2010, 00:58
Cool. :) Many thanks for that. :)

Teufelskerl
10-01-2010, 04:34
I have easily fit 7 Chimeras on one shelf with space between them all. I've fit two Warhound Titans on one shelf with rooom for smaller models around their feet. I have around 2000 points of a Beastmen army stretched between two shelves.

I've also built display boards that are 14" by 13.25" so that they fit perfectly on each shelf; it really makes each shelf pop.

- Frederich

Bloodknight
10-01-2010, 09:40
Yep, 8 Chimera chassis would fit, too.

I've got 8 Raiders/Ravagers on one shelf, but that is a bit crowded.

outbreak
11-01-2010, 10:06
JUst a question, how often do you use these displayed armies in an actual game? When i first started i left my tomb kings army up on my shelf and it used to annoy the hell out of me having to pack it up every time i took it out for a game.

Lord_Dante
11-01-2010, 10:42
Mine are more display so not often. However I can spend hours on end painting even a rank and file miniature so no matter where they go they take ages to unpack very very carefully :)

Bloodknight
11-01-2010, 13:05
Mine are all on display (2 full Detolfs and a full Billy with 9 shelves), so I take one army out every week. For some reason I hate having painted minis sitting around in a box where nobody can see them.

Bookwrak
16-01-2010, 09:04
Well, I took the plunge and got a Klingsbo and a Detolf, and I'm probably going to need another Detolf when all is said and done. It was more expensive, but I got the Dioder light, which gives you a set of four large, LED rings, so every shelf has its own overhead light. I'm going to get the wire clamps tomorrow and add three more shelves, and see how much of my collection I can fit into it that way.

Duke Georgal
17-01-2010, 05:48
After looking at the Detolfs in this thread, I drove to Tampa today and bought six of them (on sale for $60.00 each). Driving home I was caught in a torrential rain storm, and in spite of them being wrapped in a tarp, three of them were ruined. Florida rain/lightning storms can be amazing!

Oh well, I guess I will go back tomorrow and buy three more. At least I have the extra shelves now!

Bookwrak
17-01-2010, 08:54
How could the rain have ruined something made primarily of glass and two pieces of finished wood?

Bloodknight
17-01-2010, 11:34
I guess the two particle board parts macerated.

starlight
17-01-2010, 17:39
Cracked glass...? :(

Duke Georgal
17-01-2010, 22:35
How could the rain have ruined something made primarily of glass and two pieces of finished wood?

The top and bottom are particle board, and when water soaked into them they swelled up about 10% bigger. 3 hours of heavy rain was too much.

Like I said, I have plenty of extra glass shelves and sides now!

Actually, I am looking into the possibility of getting a wider cabinet and using a router to cut the grooves for all three sets of glass walls into it, and doing the same with a shelf for the top. I might as well use the extra pieces for something.

starlight
17-01-2010, 22:46
Indeed. :) Making lemonade. :D

You will, of course, furnish us with photos of the finished lemonade...? :D

alexh
18-01-2010, 18:52
I just ordered a set of those rope grips, now I just need to find somewhere local for the extra glass shelves.

Bookwrak
18-01-2010, 19:24
Yeah, I did too. I just googled, 'glass shop, my city' and although I got a lot of auto glass repair results, it also showed me all the nearby glass working businesses. Too bad that none of them were open on the weekend, and today is a holiday. :P