PDA

View Full Version : Winter Magic

LaughinGremlin
03-01-2010, 01:44
Simple:
Which Lore of Ice do you prefer - the newest version currently on the GW site, or the last version which was published in White Dwarf with the last Kislev update? Does anything stand out as either really good or bad?

EdFireborn
03-01-2010, 02:25
They are completely different.... From a quick glance at the winter magic lore on the GW site, it appears to be the inferior, though the last spell is very good...

Ice Magic on a whole seems to perform much better, but remember it was designed for only a special character to cast.

Winter magic seems to be something for a bit of "festive cheer" (maybe Aussies should invent summer magic for this time of year)

Ice magic (IMO) was designed to let you have a powerful spell-caster in an Empire army using a more balanced lore than metal

LaughinGremlin
03-01-2010, 03:02
I was wondering if GW intends for this newer "Lore of Winter" to replace the Lore of Ice in every way, INCLUDING that lore which the Ice Queen of Kislev can utilize. It's the impression I'm getting; otherwise, GW would have included the old Lore of Ice and Ice Queen somewhere on these article pages and recommend their usage over the holiday season. Nope- we only see the "Lore of Winter," thus making the "Lore of ICE" dead. No more "wall of ice", etc.

Assuming that my assumption is correct, I guess you're saying that the Ice Queen is a bit less powerful if her new spell deck is less powerful as you say.

I won't miss "form of the frost fiend" from the old lore.
You're right - that last spell is awesome. A third of the dwarfs in a unit are dead. HALF of the elves, humans, skaven and such in a unit are dead. Pretty rough stuff!

KayazyAssassin
03-01-2010, 04:08
id like to look at the old and new could someone post links to both

LaughinGremlin
03-01-2010, 04:18
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500204a_Winter_Magic.pdf
Here's the newest. I don't know where the old one is posted on the net.

KayazyAssassin
03-01-2010, 04:33
thanks for the quick post

EdFireborn
03-01-2010, 11:06
the old one is in a Kislev .pdf that can easily be found on the internet.... And no, the Lore of Winter is for any army to play "themed battles" it will not replace the Lore of Ice (though the lore of ice is non-existent realistically)