PDA

View Full Version : Winged Tyrants?

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 11:35
I can see now that alot of people have seen and even played the new Tyranid codex.
I have heard the Winged Tyrants are no longer any good. Is this true?

I only ask because I have 2 that are my best conversions ever and I would like to still use them

sayles78
03-01-2010, 11:39
I can see now that alot of people have seen and even played the new Tyranid codex.

I only ask because I have 2 that are my best conversions ever and I would like to still use them

From the rumours, it seems a flyrant is actuall quire a better then before, but way over costed. About the same points as a CSM Land Raider - and that is with wings being his ONLY upgrade. Str6, WS8, re-rolling all misses, 5attacks. So yes, better, but less cost effective.

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 11:40
As long as they are still playable and havent gone the way of the Dodo Im happy

Dreachon
03-01-2010, 11:43
Just remember it is more vulnerable now with a lack of any invulnerable save and no way for a winged to upgrade it's armoursave.

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 11:44
But theres always Gargs for the cover save

BramGaunt
03-01-2010, 11:46
The biggest problem with the Tyrant I see is that you get two well-equipped Alpha Warriors for the same points, along with some warriors to protect them.

sayles78
03-01-2010, 11:50
The biggest problem with the Tyrant I see is that you get two well-equipped Alpha Warriors for the same points, along with some warriors to protect them.

Much better way to spend your points. However, this dude wants to use his cool models!

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 11:51
You got that spot on. So much work on them, and they will see the table again!

njfed
03-01-2010, 14:27
Play testing will determine the fate of my favorite Nid, but early reports have me feeling blue.

Thud
03-01-2010, 14:43
Just make sure you have enough other scary units for the opponent to concentrate on.

PhalanxLord
03-01-2010, 15:53

Its untrue. Flyrants are overcosted, but they are still effective. The only real problems are that they don't have a 2+ save and they're overcosted for what they do, but they are still playable.

From the rumours, it seems a flyrant is actuall quire a better then before, but way over costed. About the same points as a CSM Land Raider - and that is with wings being his ONLY upgrade. Str6, WS8, re-rolling all misses, 5attacks. So yes, better, but less cost effective.

Only 4 attacks base, not 5. And losing the 2+ warp field save is a huge hit against the flyrant (though the normal tyrant 2+ save is also way too expensive).

sayles78
03-01-2010, 17:26
Only 4 attacks base, not 5. And losing the 2+ warp field save is a huge hit against the flyrant (though the normal tyrant 2+ save is also way too expensive).

Yeah - sorry. I was asuming the flyrant had the charge because wings - but you're right - I was talking about it's improved stat line - so I should have said 4.

Although... he SHOULD have 5 for the cost of it!

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 20:34
Well, Im going to field 2!

The Custodian
03-01-2010, 20:42
Gah, it may be usefull with a bunch of gargoyles and giving them Prefered Enemy... But i dread the fact that my FW flyrant is overcosted= unusable...

I may just use him as that parasite horror thingy... hopefully it wont be half bad...

WH40KAj
03-01-2010, 20:59
Gah, it may be usefull with a bunch of gargoyles and giving them Prefered Enemy... But i dread the fact that my FW flyrant is overcosted= unusable...

Huh, never thought about that option... not bad at all and the points seem good for it. Easy way to save your Tyrant and live to cc.

I'm still thinking why winged it when a podded 2+ save cc tyrant is far safer. It does however require a pod (which I have).

If you want to use your conversions, try them with a gargoyle shield.

gorgon
03-01-2010, 22:38
Because you can't put a Tyrant in a pod. ;)

I just fielded a winged Tyrant in a drop/reserve list yesterday. While deep striking it is a somewhat risky and ballsy move, I found it attracts surprisingly little attention 14" or so away when your Carnifexes and Trygons are dropping right ON TOP of your opponent. And for that odd foot unit that might decide to target your Tyrant, there's always the Scream.

Alphas look solid enough, but my impression is that fielding them means putting more points in a unit (Warriors) that's already a glass hammer. Even at W3, Warriors still seem to die pretty quickly. I'm not sure that Alphas change that, or really boost their offensive output better than what could be achieved by adding weaponry and biomorphs or simply by adding more Warriors.

Shadowfax
03-01-2010, 22:43
And for that odd foot unit that might decide to target your Tyrant, there's always the Scream.

Are you allowed to cast that in the enemy player's turn?

I'm super rusty on 40K psychic rules, but I seem to vaguely recall powers being available once per player turn now, rather than once per game turn.

hendybadger
03-01-2010, 22:46
Aslong as I can still field one or the other I think it will be ok. But Im sure I will have to do afew weapon swaps. I have 2 x ST and 2 x TL Dev. Any good?

Coredump
04-01-2010, 05:13
ST yes, Dev not really

itcamefromthedeep
04-01-2010, 05:45

I'm super rusty on 40K psychic rules, but I seem to vaguely recall powers being available once per player turn now, rather than once per game turn.
It's one per player turn. It might feel like one per game turn, but that's only because all the psychic powers I can recall must be used on your own turn, because of the specific restrictions of each. Many are psychic shooting attacks.

It matters for force weapons though. You can use a power in your turn, a force weapon in your opponent's turn and then a power in yours again.

I understand that all the Tyrant powers are psychic shooting attacks, so yes it must be used on your own turn. Nerve Shock, which I believe is the one being discussed targets one unit. That unit is stuck with WS1 BS1 until the Tyrant's next turn. It's not a bubble that messes up everything that gets close.

gorgon
04-01-2010, 14:24

:confused: Not sure why that really matters for what I'm saying.

You deep strike the Tyrant in your movement phase; say oops, he's gonna get shot by those Long Fangs; then Scream them in your shooting phase. You can shoot on the turn you DS.

If absolute safety is what you want, then you shouldn't be deep striking Tyrants. Which is fine, I'm just saying there are things you can do if you want to field one. Dropping one behind a pod wall for some cover is another tactic. There are many things you can do to try to limit the risks.

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 19:50
And you dont have to DS your winged Tyrants. You can cover hop until you are in the right place

gorgon
04-01-2010, 20:47
And you dont have to DS your winged Tyrants. You can cover hop until you are in the right place

Yeah, if there's enough LOS-blocking cover on the table. I find a lot of tables still have a lot of 4th ed-style area terrain and such, which doesn't always help the MCs much.

The moral of this story is to avoid making your Tyrants too tall. ;) Not saying you build them crouching down, but a little bend isn't a bad thing. And don't give them any tall decorative bases, for pete's sake.

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 22:24
Thats both of mine out then. They have huge poses and bases

WH40KAj
06-01-2010, 16:37
Yeah, if there's enough LOS-blocking cover on the table. I find a lot of tables still have a lot of 4th ed-style area terrain and such, which doesn't always help the MCs much.

The moral of this story is to avoid making your Tyrants too tall. ;) Not saying you build them crouching down, but a little bend isn't a bad thing. And don't give them any tall decorative bases, for pete's sake.

Get on ebay and use the 2nd/3rd ed ones, not much larger than a warrior. I have two, one being winged and i'll use that ;)

Thrax
07-01-2010, 02:56
This may be a tad off-topic, but now what is the use of a walking Hive Tyrant? The flying Tyrant is definitely over-costed a bit now, but at least it's still a viable option. What's the point of a slow point sink with lousy ranged-fire options? The old version provided long range fire and synaptic support. Now with synapse not quite so critical and the longer ranged weaponry all getting weaker I don't see how I can justify using one of my favorite models. Any thoughts?

Vepr
07-01-2010, 03:01
This may be a tad off-topic, but now what is the use of a walking Hive Tyrant? The flying Tyrant is definitely over-costed a bit now, but at least it's still a viable option. What's the point of a slow point sink with lousy ranged-fire options? The old version provided long range fire and synaptic support. Now with synapse not quite so critical and the longer ranged weaponry all getting weaker I don't see how I can justify using one of my favorite models. Any thoughts?

Well they do buff other units now and they are no slouches in combat. You almost have to run the more expensive guard with them now and you can give them a heavy VC for some fire support as they slog across the field. The only probably is the cost is pretty ugly ending up to probably just over a quarter of your army in a 1500 point game. On paper they do not look so hot but we will have to see what type of synergy we can work out with them now.

Thrax
07-01-2010, 03:17
I see what you are saying Vepr, but that buff can be just as effectively applied by the flying tyrant, which will likely be even more tricked out for close combat. I agree the heavy venom cannon is the most likely build, but it really sucks now; two of it's three shot are gone and the tyrant has lost his aim. Maybe I should rework the model to have thick glasses and buck teeth to show how stupid he's become?

Vepr
07-01-2010, 03:22
I see what you are saying Vepr, but that buff can be just as effectively applied by the flying tyrant, which more than likely be even more tricked out for close combat. I agree the heavy venom cannon is the most likely build, but it really sucks now. two of it's three shot are gone and the tyrant has lost his aim. Maybe I should rework the model to have thick glasses and buck teeth to show how stupid he's become?

Well some of the buffs have a range and the Flyrant is apt to out distance the units you would most likely use the buffs on. The Flyrant is also going to be more of a fire magnet now than ever before. I am not going to write off the foot Tyrant just yet but at first blush it does appear to have become a frequent host to the nerf fairy. :( :p

itcamefromthedeep
07-01-2010, 05:02
You could bring a walking Tyrant for the armor save. People paid 35 points for that 2+6++ save on their flyrant every time, so I can see people paying XXX for it now. Not all the time, but occasionally.