PDA

View Full Version : Land speeders

The Ginger Ninja
04-01-2010, 10:25
I just have a quick question about land speeders. how come I don't see many land speeders compared to other SM vehicle IE landraider? is there something wrong about about them? (such as cost, rules etc)

Archangel_Ruined
04-01-2010, 11:20
Not really, they're pretty damn good all in all. They do have to compete with assault marines, bikers and attack bikes though (which are quite similar, actually). They're fragile but hard hitting, and fast enough to be useful if you deploy them well. LR's are a bit of a no brainer by comparison, if you've got the points spare they're tough as old boots.

no_one
04-01-2010, 11:25
my mech BT list contains 4, 2 with MM and 2 with AC and HB and they perform very well though TLOS has made them a bid more vulnerable.

bigcheese76
04-01-2010, 11:29
Id say the main reason they arent used that much is the fact that they are fairly fragile in games with their low armour. I find they are best used with their deep strike and a multimelta. It makes them great tank hunters.

LonelyPath
04-01-2010, 13:30
I often take 2 or 3 with my doublewing army as they're a great way of adding more guns and while the typhoon isn't as great as those in C: SM, they are cheaper at 65 points and are even better at taking out massed units than a frag missile. Then again, if you got Sammmael you pretty much have a flying LR, so long as you keep your bum facing away form the enemy :P

Thud
04-01-2010, 13:31
The Land Raider is a massive model, usually the centre piece of an army, so lots of people want one (or several). This is not the case for Land Speeders. They're just another model.

mdauben
04-01-2010, 15:26
I just have a quick question about land speeders. how come I don't see many land speeders compared to other SM vehicle IE landraider? is there something wrong about about them? (such as cost, rules etc)
Generally, they are not a bad unit and I like to use them for fast fire support (usually in the Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer configuration). One reason you don't see a lot of them is that they tend to be a bit fragile. Arguably a squad of bikes are more survivable than a squad of Land Speeders, and the ever popular Assault Squads are competing for the same FA slots. In the end, I think its mainly a matter of tactics and play style and what works best for you.

marv335
04-01-2010, 15:38
they used to feature in a lot of armies, but they took quite a hit from the nerfhammer between 4th and 5th ed.
the loss of SMF and the move from S5 to S4 for defensive weapons removed a lot of their ability, plus the increase in cost in the 5th ed codex.
they just aren't as good as they were.