PDA

View Full Version : Using LotD with Grey Knights?

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 20:13
Would the Legion of the Damned and the Grey Knights ever fight side by side?

And why would / woulndt they?

LonelyPath
04-01-2010, 21:12
Fluffwise I'd think the GK would try to capture one of the LotD at the very least to inspect for taint. However, on the battlefield something always gets in the way of them being captured or inspected to closely. However, as long as their is a common foe I believe they would fight alongside each other. Of course, in game terms it makes no matter as you can take LotD and still ally GK into the same list.

bigcheese76
04-01-2010, 21:24
The grey knights would have to be their first dealing with pretty major Daemonic infestation, which they would have arrived at to help out in the first place when some Imperial Guard or similar were struggling.
The Grey Knights would try and capture one of the LotD for some sort of testing and to check it is not Daemonic, and find out where it came from.

rabblerouser
04-01-2010, 21:33
I think the Grey Knights would be hostile towards LotD

Freman Bloodglaive
04-01-2010, 21:41
The Grey Knights don't know that they're fighting alongside the Legion of the Damned.

They and their Space Marine allies are fighting against a certain threat (usually Chaotic) and the Legion turn up unannounced, kill many enemies, and then disappear. Even if the Grey Knights noticed them it would be over too quickly for them to do anything about it.

Monster Rain
04-01-2010, 21:49
Doesn't the LotD fluff in the Codex talk about an Inquisitor trying to figure out where they came from?

I don't the the GKs would even have the option to decide if they were fighting with the LotD or not. The Unyielding Specters show up, throw some flaming green bolter shots around, and disappear leaving everyone wondering what the hell just happened.

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 22:26
Im thinking along the lines of Apoc games and the like. I have a Grey Knight army and love the look of the new LotD models. Was so happy to have the complete rules in WD!

Doppleskanger
04-01-2010, 22:36
Ah go for it. Even if it were un-fluffy, and I don't see why especially in Apocalypse, it's hardly a major violation. Not, for instance, in the same league as a carnifex being transported in an ork super heavy....

Sir_Turalyon
05-01-2010, 04:00
Fluffwise, Legion turns up to help any beleagued Imperial forces, most often Imperial Guard then Marines. Only reason for Gray Knights not to get help from Legion is that they rarely fight desperate last stands.

Xyrex
05-01-2010, 04:04
It depends what inquisitor is controlling the DH at the time. I doubt they would, without a command attack the LotD for any reason.

scopedog91
05-01-2010, 04:45
"Fluffwise I'd think the GK would try to capture one of the LotD at the very least to inspect for taint."
Please GK, leave my taint alone...
I really miss old Legion for being allied with anyone.
It seems I will have to go vanilla to enjoy the skulls and flames.

cuda1179
05-01-2010, 06:15
Well, the Grey knights are basically the go-to guys when the Inquisition needs to slap around another Marine Chapter. Even if a Chapter just looks wierd (like being on fire) they are likely to be killed even if they are 100% loyal.

That being said, in the heat of battle there probably wouldn't be enough time to think about it before the LotD vanished. At best a GK commander would simply leave a standing order that next time anyone seeing a mysterous ghost-like marine shoot first and ask questions later.

AmasNagol
05-01-2010, 10:27
They'd just drop a flamer template and kill on 3+ :lol:

LonelyPath
05-01-2010, 12:34
Well, the Grey knights are basically the go-to guys when the Inquisition needs to slap around another Marine Chapter. Even if a Chapter just looks wierd (like being on fire) they are likely to be killed even if they are 100% loyal.

Not true, the GK are there to slap around anyone that looks like they might hit back! lol. Also, their role is to hunt down possible daemonic incursions, not beat up other SM chapters.

James S
05-01-2010, 14:57
I <3 Grey Knights.

hendybadger
05-01-2010, 15:51
So. I could happen then?

Monster Rain
05-01-2010, 21:50
It most certainly could.

hendybadger
05-01-2010, 22:16
My Apoc games and odd scenarios will now definatly include 20 LotD then

Gdolkin
06-01-2010, 15:28
Humm, but as cuda119 referred to, the Grey Knights wiped out the Flame Falcons, another Cursed Founding Chapter, just for being on fire, never mind spectral, on fire and covered in skulls..

hendybadger
06-01-2010, 19:01
I think that maybe the Apoc Grey Knight Redeemer force might work well with LotD on the table then?

Inquisitor_Tolheim
06-01-2010, 19:12
LotD are effectively Daemons of Starchild (IMHO), so even though they are "good" daemons the Knights would doubtless sense the influence of the warp upon them. Still, If the knights are knee deep in the middle of a fight, some warp marines show up, blow stuff away and vanish, then the GKs might be left with a bit of "what the hell was THAT?" without actually having time to destroy the LotD. So yes, they could work together in the sense that two completely seperate forces can work together if they're conveniently gunning down the same enemy at the same time.