PDA

View Full Version : Some Ogre questions

Schmapdi
05-01-2010, 03:33
So I got an Ogre Battalion for Xmas - and it's spurred some questions:

1) The book says Ogres using a club without another weapon get an armour piercing value, but the kits come with no empty Ogre hands. Did I misinterpret the rule, or is it just impossible to arm Bulls this way?

As an aside - it's very annoying that all the "clubs" are made for the same hand as the ironfists, meaning you're stuck with swords for the other hand (unless you want to use the same club over and over). Swords aren't very Ogre-y to me.

2) Do Tyrants, etc come with the optional gnoblars (for sword/luck/teeth) or should I set aside a few gnoblar fighters for that?

3)I also got a Hunter, he's on a base thats alot bigger than all the other Ogres - is this correct? If so, why?

4) It seems like, you get two sprues with the ogre bodies on them, plus an upgrade sprue for the leadbelchers and ironguts, and then 3 body sprues plus a command sprue for the bulls. But my box also had an extra command sprue I can't figure out the intent of - which "box set" is it from? (i.e. - do bulls come with 2? or do leadbelchers or ironguts come with a superflous sprue?)

Thanks for any help!

R-Love
05-01-2010, 04:50
1) The book says Ogres using a club without another weapon get an armour piercing value, but the kits come with no empty Ogre hands. Did I misinterpret the rule, or is it just impossible to arm Bulls this way?

It's an option to equip them, but not to model. the easiest way around it is simply to cut the clubs from the left hands, leaving you with a fist.

As an aside - it's very annoying that all the "clubs" are made for the same hand as the ironfists, meaning you're stuck with swords for the other hand (unless you want to use the same club over and over). Swords aren't very Ogre-y to me.

If you do the above or give them ironfists, you can cut the blades off and pin the clubs to their right hands. It's a little tricky though, so it might be easier to just leave to swords for hands.

2) Do Tyrants, etc come with the optional gnoblars (for sword/luck/teeth) or should I set aside a few gnoblar fighters for that?

The Tyrant and Butcher both come with Gnoblars, but I forget how many (two or three each i think)

3)I also got a Hunter, he's on a base thats alot bigger than all the other Ogres - is this correct? If so, why?

The hunter is on a larger base so he ranks better with the tusks. It was an aesthetic decision, doesn't make a huge difference in game

4) It seems like, you get two sprues with the ogre bodies on them, plus an upgrade sprue for the leadbelchers and ironguts, and then 3 body sprues plus a command sprue for the bulls. But my box also had an extra command sprue I can't figure out the intent of - which "box set" is it from? (i.e. - do bulls come with 2? or do leadbelchers or ironguts come with a superflous sprue?)

There is a single sprue with two bodies for all ogres (you should have seven of these), as well as a single each of Ironguts and Leadbelchers, and two command sprues

Mercules
05-01-2010, 16:12
I have in the past hollowed out an Ironfist, cutting the hand out of it, so that I could place it on the off hand. I've also cut clubs and swords to go in either hand. Ogres can be modified very easily and look great when you do so.

There are some Gnoblars that come with the Tyrant/Butcher models, but I rarely put them on the base because I might not want to use them.

As for the hunter, yep. Large base which matches with the Sabretusks. Since he can't join any unit but his Sabretusks the base works fine.

DaBrode
06-01-2010, 00:36
The -1 armor piercing is for "Ogre Clubs" which is supposed to be different than two hand weapons or hand weapon and Iron fist yet they don't really represent this with the models that well.

Strongly consider waiting until April-May of next year to complete this army. Ogre Kingdoms is said to have a new book and models around that time.