PDA

View Full Version : All Genestealer army...5th edition.

Szafraniec
05-01-2010, 19:21
Alright, the new Nid dex is all but here, and im gearing up for some mad stealer-shock. Now heres the challenge; while Genestealers are still a troops selection and an elites selection, there is no more Stealer HQ!

So ive decided to run a big, bulky, old-school, Genestealer Patriarch as a Counts-As Hive Tyrant. Now im looking for ways to model him. Fluff tells us that the Patriarch is a massively swollen genestealer thats grown very large, to the point of being immobile. What id like to do, to represent roughly the same size as a normal HT and stat line, is to have him possibly on a throne of some sort, carried by Hybrids, possibly atop a pile of skulls or something similar, genestealers swarming around him.

This is by far my most ambitious modeling project, so....ideas?

Beyond that, does anyone thing im well off my rocker, overshooting the strength of a patriarch, or think there might be a better way to do it with a Magus? On that note, ive also thought about sticking the Doom of Ma-whatever it is in as a Magus.

Fitting?

CthulhuDalek
05-01-2010, 19:24
Without having seen the new dex... why not use an alpha warrior stylized like a genestealer? MEGAbroodlord! or Patriarch.

You could even get away with using a lictor with some minor conversion, as an alpha warrior or something.

Or maybe there are some HQs we don't know about yet.

boogaloo
05-01-2010, 19:26
Thought about an Alpha Warrior Counts as Geanstealer/Badass? It's probably easier to model, and more in keeping with current Tyranid Fluff. How many tyranids ride palanquins these days?

Unless...

Unless their NURGLE genestealers :p

Edit: why don't they have a Ninja'd! emoticon :(

Szafraniec
05-01-2010, 19:32
Ha. That was my initial thought, go with a mega-broodlord in the form of an Alpha Warrior, but the HT gives me some sweet psychic powers, and Patriarchs are highly psychic beings.

If the modeling aspect becomes too much of a project, im sure ill mix up some of the new kits to make my mega-broodlord.

naloth
05-01-2010, 19:35
Sounds interesting. As long as you don't run into a fully mech army you should be able to re-enact the scene from aliens where they are ambushed from all directions.

I would go with the Alpha = Patriarch since it's closer to the right size though the +1 from coming from reserves (w/HT) might make the army more competitive.

mchmr6677
05-01-2010, 19:40
Alright, the new Nid dex is all but here, and im gearing up for some mad stealer-shock. Now heres the challenge; while Genestealers are still a troops selection and an elites selection, there is no more Stealer HQ!

So ive decided to run a big, bulky, old-school, Genestealer Patriarch as a Counts-As Hive Tyrant. Now im looking for ways to model him. Fluff tells us that the Patriarch is a massively swollen genestealer thats grown very large, to the point of being immobile. What id like to do, to represent roughly the same size as a normal HT and stat line, is to have him possibly on a throne of some sort, carried by Hybrids, possibly atop a pile of skulls or something similar, genestealers swarming around him.

Basically, what you've described here is Epidemius from the Chaos Daemons. You could start with his model and go from there making the nurgle spawn into something stealtastic.

Szafraniec
05-01-2010, 19:44
I was thinking id end up having to go with the Tallyman. Or something to approximate that. If I wanted to go real crazy, id try to get some Hybrids put together between guard and stealer parts to carry the palanquin, but I also want some room for some first gen stealers on there to help approximate the cc ability the unit would have.

Naloth also hit it on the head with the +1 reserves if I want to go a bit more competitive, though I still have to figure out the best way to keep said HQ alive if everyone else is starting off the board for some turns...man, the things I do to undermine and sabotage enemy planets!

Codsticker
05-01-2010, 19:48
Thought about an Alpha Warrior Counts as Geanstealer/Badass?

That will be my approach. I have 46 Old School genestealers to be used as Troops (I will proabably need about 20 more), one unit of Battle For Macragge Genestealers as Ymgarl Genestealers and I will be converting some Warriors into Broodlords. My HQ will also be based on a converted Warrior, and will be a Patriarch, counting as an Alpha Warrior.

If I recall correctly the old 2nd. edition Patriarch was posed similar to a normal Genestealer but larger; it was not modelled as a grotesque Jabba The Hutt-like creature.

mchmr6677
05-01-2010, 19:48
Might be cool to build some "counts-as" tyrant guard that look like stealers as well... Maybe some gene-ogryn crossbreeds...

Shadowfax
05-01-2010, 19:55
I would go with the Alpha = Patriarch since it's closer to the right size though the +1 from coming from reserves (w/HT) might make the army more competitive.
Who needs reserves when infiltrating Genestealers can now get 1st turn charges. :evilgrin:

Codsticker
05-01-2010, 19:58
Who needs reserves when infiltrating Genestealers can now get 1st turn charges. :evilgrin:

I may have to get a second unit of Ymgarl Genestealers...:chrome:

Shadowfax
05-01-2010, 20:03
Ymgarl's still arrive as reserves... it's the bog standard regular Genies that can do what I mentioned!

Chucklemoney
05-01-2010, 20:23
Was sure I could remember seeing throned genestealers somewhere.

Something like this?

http://www.peteandkellie.com/wh40k/images/eavy_metal/patriarch.jpg

Szafraniec
05-01-2010, 20:24
Was sure I could remember seeing throned genestealers somewhere.

Something like this?

http://www.peteandkellie.com/wh40k/images/eavy_metal/patriarch.jpg

Yes exactly like that! Just newer, meaner, and HT size.

Ive also considered going with the Swarmlord as a super stealer if I dont go with a big fat guy. The reroll to outflank edge could be huge too.

Swarmlord seems to have more psychic powers as well, which is kind of what im going for. He could be the big fat guy too I guess. The world is my oyster.

tankadams
05-01-2010, 22:35
In my opinion you would be mad not to take the swarmlord. MAD I SAY!

Monsterous Creature that causes ID regardless of toughness, forcing rerolls to SUCCESSFUL invuls while gaining a 4+ invul in combat itself. Bring on the nob bikers...

itcamefromthedeep
06-01-2010, 00:35
Use a Tervigon's stats rather than a Hive Tyrant.

It's still psychic.
It works in a support role (which is sounds like you want).
It calls forth Genestealer cultists with bolt pistols. The cultists even fall into disarray when the Partiarch falls.

I don't think you should use the Doom of Malan'tai. Ymgarls are cooler.

Chem-Dog
06-01-2010, 01:40
http://solegends.com/citcat911/c2103genestealers.htm

The bad boy in all it's glory.
Remember the Patriarch was what a Broodlord is now, the recent Space Hulk has directly swapped them. So the seated Patriarch looked rightfully awesome sat in his antechamber dispatching hordes of stealers to repel the Space Marines who had invaded his realm.....
But there was an "on foot" version too.
Personally, I'd like to think a Patriarch is what happens to a broodlord if allowed to grow, ie not get reconsumed by the Hive Ships, as would happen when a far away planet is infested.

I'm a fan of the Genestealer "cult" as a concept so I'm certainly not going to pooh pooh any attempts to keep these little fluff portions alive :)

I really can't comment on which of the Tyranid big bosses could represent the Patriarch best, I'm not that clued up on what they do BUT I will suggest a model.
The Carnifex.
It'll take a fair bit of careful conversion (but that's the fun of it isn't it?!) but start by shaving off the chimney things off his back, locate (bulid?) and attach appropriate arms and then all you have to worry about is coming up with a sufficiently bulbous stealery type head.

If you're gonna use the Tervigon, perhaps you could represent the Termigants it "births" as cultists hurling themselves at the enemy in an attempt to protect the "Father".

Importman
06-01-2010, 03:41
Good on you mate!

It is so sad that all that Genestealer cult stuff got snuffed out last codex and is not included in this new one. I love the idea of the cult and hybrids and would happily spend $$$ on such minis. Oh well.

Clang
06-01-2010, 04:31
Gamingwise, if it's going to count at a Tyrant then it should be roughly Tyrant sized. So a Magus on a palanquin (or some other type of mobile throne) would seem to be the easiest way to do that while keeping the Magus itself normal-sized.

Or if you're a great sculptor, you could really push the 'bloated giant stealer' look and use a carnifex as a conversion base? Or a Trygon minus its tail?

LonelyPath
06-01-2010, 12:50
Remember the Patriarch was what a Broodlord is now, the recent Space Hulk has directly swapped them.

Actually the fact that the Broodlord was replacing the Patriarch was mentioned in the designer notes for the 4th edition codex. it's not a new revelation.

hertz
06-01-2010, 12:51
Modelwise, there was an Inquisitor scaled genestealer that could be used for your purpose.
I didn´t find it at GW´s site, but its out there, somewhere... ;)

LonelyPath
06-01-2010, 12:59
GW deleted that model about 4 years ago around the same time a fair bit of the Inquisitor range vanished. I'm after one of the Inquisitor Stealers myself.

Unclejo
06-01-2010, 13:01
I never really understood the concept of a Patriach. Why would a race of sleek, fast close combat monsters be led by a big fatty?

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 13:02
I'm starting a new Nid army in a few weeks, so this thread has piqued my attention!
Haven't got any experience with the model itself, but modelling the Carnifex into a GIANT STEALER sounds like an amazing idea! :D

p.s: I have a load of 2nd Ed Space Hulk stealers in my for sale thread if any of you genestealer fans are interested? (Link in sig)

Codsticker
06-01-2010, 15:41
I never really understood the concept of a Patriach. Why would a race of sleek, fast close combat monsters be led by a big fatty?

If you look at the model of it standing (the bottom left hand corner on the attachment) it is actually not a big fatty.

Sir_Turalyon
06-01-2010, 17:22
Remember the Patriarch was what a Broodlord is now, the recent Space Hulk has directly swapped them. So the seated Patriarch looked rightfully awesome sat in his antechamber dispatching hordes of stealers to repel the Space Marines who had invaded his realm.....

Not really, they are very distinct creatures. Partiarch is leader of genestealer cult, and emerges among stealer brood when it lives for few genereations away from hive mind infiltrating alien society. Patriarch is vital to cult's psychic beacon that calls in Hive Fleets. When fleet arrives, Patriarch is absorbed with rest of bio-mass.

Broodlord is leader/champion of Genestealers that live among hive fleet and act as shock troops, or of stealers that recently left hive fleet and seek new worlds to infect (like in Space Hulk).

Which means fluffwise Patriarch has little place in Tyranid army, unless your army is a stealer cult consisting of Patriarch and purestrains only (that idea can be expanded about with futher conversions) . It would be simpler and more fluffy to just do a proper Tyrant leading a stealer army, or Broodlord using Alpha warrior rules.

LonelyPath
06-01-2010, 18:08
Actually the fact that the Broodlord was replacing the Patriarch was mentioned in the designer notes for the 4th edition codex. it's not a new revelation.

Just quoting myself from page 1 as no one seemed to notice it.

toddznidz
06-01-2010, 18:46
Ymgarl's still arrive as reserves... it's the bog standard regular Genies that can do what I mentioned!

I have heard a rumor that Ymgarl's just die if the their chosen terrain is "occupied". Do you know what "occupied" means, or if there is any truth to this rumor?

Does the BroodLord "Confuse" psychic power actually give his steeler group frag grenades as rumored previously? Or are steelers just SOL if they have to move through difficult?

captian Maklai
06-01-2010, 18:53
What about a slaan? Maybe a bit to static though......

Shadowfax
06-01-2010, 19:09
I have heard a rumor that Ymgarl's just die if the their chosen terrain is "occupied". Do you know what "occupied" means, or if there is any truth to this rumor?
As far as I understand it, "occupied" = enemy dispersed throughout the terrain in a way that makes it impossible for the Ymgarls to deploy without coming within 1" of a foe.

However, I still don't know what will constitute "a piece of terrain" for the Ymgarls. Does it have to be a piece of area terrain? What about a bunker or other building?

Does the BroodLord "Confuse" psychic power actually give his steeler group frag grenades as rumored previously? Or are steelers just SOL if they have to move through difficult?
That rumour was wrong and the Genestealers have no access to a frag grenade equivalent.

toddznidz
06-01-2010, 19:14
As far as I understand it, "occupied" = enemy dispersed throughout the terrain in a way that makes it impossible for the Ymgarls to deploy without coming within 1" of a foe.

However, I still don't know what will constitute "a piece of terrain" for the Ymgarls. Does it have to be a piece of area terrain? What about a bunker or other building?

That rumour was wrong and the Genestealers have no access to a frag grenade equivalent.

Thanks. I am going to do the best I can to salvage my Steeler Shock list. I am not complaining, but simply stating. I would much rather pay the 9 points to have my old scouting, armored, frag grenaded Steelers back vs. paying 14 points per ablative wound for a BroodLord with no power weapons.

Is it true he has lost "Inhuman strength" as well?

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 19:48

Agreed, Shadow, I have a horrible prediction of Warseer arguments arising as to whether 10 Ymgarls can deploy out of a single tree. :rolleyes:

It is a piece of terrain, after all.

Alessander
06-01-2010, 20:00
Patriarchs were WICKED in Space Hulk. IFAIR, they rolled 9 dice in combat (most terms rolled a couple dice max), got a huge combat bonus, could re-roll combat dice, and could even melee-attack people from far away. And that's not any of the psychic powers… the Patriarch was often an ancient Genestealer whos powers have matured over many years, and often tapped into the gestault conciousness of the cult and/or the hive mind. I have only one (the running one, not the throned one) but it was the cause of fear in many games.

Shadowfax
06-01-2010, 20:03
Fear the wrath of the Leafstealers!

Tiu
06-01-2010, 20:03
Is it true he has lost "Inhuman strength" as well?

Yep. No more inhuman strength.

Alessander
06-01-2010, 20:09
(dup post sorry)

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 20:21
Fear the wrath of the Leafstealers!

:D I've heard GW are changing the fluff so Genestealers actually originate from Athel Loren...