PDA

View Full Version : any word on harpy or landing spore models?

Negafex
06-01-2010, 07:02
two rumored new options in the new nid dex are the harpy(flying monstrous creatre) and a landing spore (think tyranid drop pods).

neither of these have an existing model and in all likelyhood could not be made out of an existing kit. i havent seen even a hint at models for these 2 being worked on, which would make them quite difficult to use.

has anyone else heard anything?

Warpcrafter
06-01-2010, 07:41
I've heard that Chapterhouse Studios is planning on making a conversion kit for Tervigons, a landing spore and some Tyranid Warrior bone sword arms, due out some time in February. Not hard and fast info, just a mention made in a Tyranid N&R thread on Dakka.

Talos
06-01-2010, 09:09
So far there has been no word on them being made. I guess they will fit in with the nids second wave. As the only units that dont have models are the larger ones. So could be a good second wave of monsters.
Will be intresting to see what people use for pods as alot of lists seem to use them but nobody is going to have models.
As the pods have guns and stay its going to mean you are going to need a model. As I hate proxy I wont allow people to use SM Droppods so its going to be intresting what people come up with.

Caribou_powa
06-01-2010, 09:38
There is some alien drop pod at armorcast.

The paint job is ugly but you can do something good with them.

Egaeus
06-01-2010, 09:45
two rumored new options in the new nid dex are the harpy(flying monstrous creatre) and a landing spore (think tyranid drop pods).

neither of these have an existing model and in all likelyhood could not be made out of an existing kit. i havent seen even a hint at models for these 2 being worked on, which would make them quite difficult to use.

has anyone else heard anything?

I haven't heard anything but would point out that is was a couple of years before GW actually produced a Drop Pod model (IIRC they were in the 4th edition Marine Codex but didn't actually get a model until the 5th edition book came out). Is it possible that Forge World produces something that can be used in the interim (as was the case for "official" Drop Pods)?

What I'm more interested in is the Tervigon, as from what I hear it is shaping up to be one of the must-have models in the Codex...I have a fear that GW is going to want you to buy a Trygon and a Carnifex to cobble one together...

SteelTitan
06-01-2010, 09:50
Yeah, there is no way that i will buy a Trygon and a Fex kit to make a Tervigon...that is just too expensive. I would much rather convert a regular Fex to something that looks like it can spawn gaunts =) I think it would make for an interesting conversion...already looking forward to it actually.

I am much more worried about the pods actually. There is no way to represent them...nothing that will look nice i mean...also, seeing how slow GW is with their 'second wave strategy' (think daemon second wave, think guard second wave) we will be waiting a longggggggggg time before we see GW spore pods.

Elhier
06-01-2010, 10:37
more to the point i cant really see how combining the two kits will result in a new monster, i mean the bodies are esentialy the same, and that means that you can make a trygon with carnifex limbs or a carnifex with tervigon limbs, a head swap, or some other combination, which to me does not result in a gaunt spewing monster.

or have i just missed sumthing??

Deus Mechanicus
06-01-2010, 14:06
Do the Harpy have any artwork in the book? Would it be possible to make a convincing Harpy by slapping some wings on the trygon and some greenstuffing?

airmang
06-01-2010, 14:36
yes it does. It basically looks like a Gargoyle, with bio cannons for a pair of it's limbs.

Shadowfax
06-01-2010, 14:57
I'm going to use various pieces of fruit as Spore Pod replacements.

The Carnifex + Trygon = Tervigon idea has next to no value, imo. There's nothing in either kit that summons to mind the idea of an egg-laying or gaunt-birthing creature. Quite frankly, if you want your conversion to look like something other than a lazily smacked together piece of crap you're going to have to bust out the green stuff, or at least comb the 40k and Fantasy ranges for other bits to use. The Carnifex/Trygon kits alone aren't enough to generate a convincing Tervigon.

Although if predictions pan out and the Tervigon becomes a staple of Tyranid lists I can't see GW waiting too long before providing a model. There will be too much lost profit at stake. Inverting that logic, we might never get models for the Harpy and the T-fex, because they don't look effective enough for people to field for any reason other than to show off their sick conversion.

Talos
06-01-2010, 15:02
more to the point i cant really see how combining the two kits will result in a new monster, i mean the bodies are esentialy the same, and that means that you can make a trygon with carnifex limbs or a carnifex with tervigon limbs, a head swap, or some other combination, which to me does not result in a gaunt spewing monster.

or have i just missed sumthing??

i am in the same boat as you I just cant see how you can make a good tervigon (sP) with those two kits

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 15:05
As I hate proxy I wont allow people to use SM Droppods so its going to be intresting what people come up with.

What if it was a converted infested Space Marine pod from a Genestealer infested Space Hulk?

(ie:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238293)

Talos
06-01-2010, 15:38
That is fine as you have put some throught into it and I think it would look pretty cool.
What I meant was people going oh well I will just use a SM droppod as it is as that is the only droppod style model that GW makes.

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 15:40
That is fine as you have put some throught into it and I think it would look pretty cool.
What I meant was people going oh well I will just use a SM droppod as it is as that is the only droppod style model that GW makes.

Gotcha. I agree on the scale of "this Carnifex is a Tyrannofex" and "this warrior with a bigger base is a Alpha Warrior". I think the lack of models is great, as we'll see some amazing different ideas (and some bad ones!) arise over the forums/tabletops.

ShurikenSerpent
06-01-2010, 17:26
When I read the info on the Harpy I instantly thought this was a way to allow Tyranid players to use their Harridan models in a game of 40k. Too big? Maybe. But that doesn't stop people using the Forge World Bloodthirster in their Daemon lists!

aka_mythos
06-01-2010, 17:58
Too big. The Harpy is the same general size as the Carnifex and Trygon. So combining those with some balrog wings or something similar would give you a model of the right size.

nvillacci
06-01-2010, 18:02
I've heard that Chapterhouse Studios is planning on making a conversion kit for Tervigons, a landing spore and some Tyranid Warrior bone sword arms, due out some time in February. Not hard and fast info, just a mention made in a Tyranid N&R thread on Dakka.

I know there are concepts and the sculpting for the Spore Pod should be done in a week or two time.

I think the Tervigon kit (will turn a carnifex into one) and Bonesword/Lash whips are high priority with Chapterhouse Studios as well, probably more the 3-4 week time frame.

I dont understand why GW insist on making critical units and not having the models to back them up, there is no release schedule for the Tervigon or Spore Pod.

Shadowfax
06-01-2010, 18:33
Yeah, it's bizarre. Do they honestly expect to sell more Pyrovores than they would have sold Tervigons or Spore Pods?

I guess the sculpting is done separately from the rules design, but you would expect there to be some more effective communication between the branches.

Goreishk
06-01-2010, 18:42
To make the Harpy I will just glue on some wings to a Carnifex.

It might look like a Koopa from Super Mario in the end though.

MajorWesJanson
06-01-2010, 19:50
think guard second wave

You mean the Demolisher + Hellhound + characters second wave or the upcoming Basilisk/medusa + chimaera + maybe more stuff second wave?

Elhier
06-01-2010, 22:00
i'm expecting some real cheese from people just glueing random tyranid bits to drop pods and then claiming that its been captured by stealers then used to drop a carnifex onto the table, despite the carnifex model being bigger than the pod.

an alternative i'm considering is to convert a kind of tyranid spawn,mouth,pit, tenticle thing to represent the pod. so instead of the pod coming frokm the sky its delivered through the ground. or sumthing like that.

gw are repeatedly doing this to us, releasing a codex then not supplying the models for new units. i'm expecting *fingers crossed* that forgeworld will come to the rescue, i doubt it, but i still hope. but i bet you when they do finnaly release a kit that it will be rediculasly exspencive. ^_^

Murphey
06-01-2010, 22:08
For the record, I don't see why anyone would actually want a harpy.

A T5 MC, on a flying base (even harder to get cover saves) with an armor save that gets pierced by heavy bolters.

Unless it costs 30 points, I can't see wanting to field one ever. Getting wounded on a 2+ by autocannons, and having it's armor be ignored, is just too terrible of an investment.

~Murphey

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 22:56
i'm expecting some real cheese from people just glueing random tyranid bits to drop pods and then claiming that its been captured by stealers then used to drop a carnifex onto the table, despite the carnifex model being bigger than the pod.

Oi, :( I had that idea. But I guess it depends how well it's done, right?

an alternative i'm considering is to convert a kind of tyranid spawn,mouth,pit, tenticle thing to represent the pod. so instead of the pod coming frokm the sky its delivered through the ground. or sumthing like that.

Though that is a good idea. Like the Saarlac from Return of the Jedi!

Shadowfax
06-01-2010, 23:01

Eh, it's not really cheesy; a bigger pod would only mean more LoS blocked, which would almost always benefit the nid player. And the size discontinuity is no dumber than 10 Marines being expected to cram into a 3rd edition Rhino.

Elhier
08-01-2010, 22:28
danger mouse thats exactly the sort of thing i was on about, that or a kind of bubbling nid spawn pool that rises up through the ground and speus nids.

shadowfax, i hadnt really thought of the los isseus, i was really most concerned about the bad converting with even worse fluff than the size, just an observation.

mchmr6677
08-01-2010, 22:39
Too big. The Harpy is the same general size as the Carnifex and Trygon. So combining those with some balrog wings or something similar would give you a model of the right size.

This is exactly what I thought when I looked at the art for it. A little bit of work on the standard trygon head is really all it would take.

Caribou_powa
08-01-2010, 23:17
For the pod:

http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=120_37&products_id=146

hendybadger
08-01-2010, 23:56
I cant wait to see the artwork for all of these new units. My love of Tyranids started with converting MCs, so I will be making atleast 1 Harpy no matter how good/bad they are.
Keep an eye on Warpshadow in the near future. The Tyranid players overthere already have some amazing plans for these units.

dblaz3r
09-01-2010, 00:05
I have read a mention of a spore pod and a decemberish time period right here on Warseer. I think it was in the 2010 models thread somewhere amongst the 37 pages, not sure who posted the info. Whether or not that comes to fruition is beyond the reaches of my knowledge.

nvillacci
11-01-2010, 04:52
For the pod:

http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=120_37&products_id=146

Yeah but its ugly.. looks like an asparagus or brusslesprout :P

DarkstarSabre
11-01-2010, 05:42
(think daemon second wave, think guard second wave)

So...anywhere between 3 months and never. Ok. We've got a schedule there!

blackroyal
11-01-2010, 05:57
I hope to see a pod arrive with the planet strike 2nd wave. This is my wish, and works thematically.

Bathawk
11-01-2010, 06:56
well Beastmen for WHFB next month, and Blood Angels in April...maybe 'Nids second wave in April?

aka_mythos
12-01-2010, 17:56
I think it'd be funny to use these: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/181-7410902-7203842?asin=B0015ARALG&AFID=Performics_Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads&LNM=Primary&ref=tgt_adv_XASD0001

They come in packs of 12 for $13.