PDA

View Full Version : WotR Game sizes

Sedge
06-01-2010, 13:05
What is the most common size WotR game you play?

At the moment our club (Cheltenham Warchiefs) is really getting into WotR, we as a rule play 1K at the moment. We have played a few 15k+ games with everything we have just for giggles.

To be honest it is a lot of fun. Nothing to ott and not to heavy on allies.

What size do you guys play.

06-01-2010, 16:03
I posted 1500 because we've played either 1000 pts with those starting out or 2000 with those who have a few games under their belts.

Sedge
06-01-2010, 16:07
1000pts is a good starting size I think as well. It is also a good size to get painted in resonable time.

jaws900
06-01-2010, 16:47
normally 100pts-1500pts however most of the people i play agaisnt are SBG players(Which is WAY better!) so unlike everyone else they don't have 3 boxes of Gondorians so it's often 1000pts....and even then i lend them some men.

Sedge
06-01-2010, 17:00
...however most of the people i play agaisnt are SBG players(Which is WAY better!)

Difference of opinion on that one, I just don't like skirmish games. Mordheim, necromunda LotR SBG, Wild west and the pirates game. Yawn, just not me. Give me huge battles, massed combat and huge quantinties of troops and I'm happy.

Nothing against it but hey WotR is my thing. SBG has been trundling along for quite a while now, what will get it more people into its fan base (comparied to 40k and WFB)? Surely SBG has done its best. Intrested has wained from the heady days of the big film releases. Heck it did quite well back then.

WotR has tempted a lot of the WFB players into a fantasy setting than SBG did which most players, at best, werent intrested in and worst, thought it was pants! :wtf:

Me I don't care, each to there own. I just like how cheap the figures are on ebay. ;)

Its like WFB and Mordheim players arguing over which is the best GW Fantasy game. They are completly different! Stop comparing! :):D

HRM
06-01-2010, 23:07
I haven't actually gotten in a game yet, but my opinion on GW games back in the day was always "The bigger, the better." I really look forward to 2K+ games, on a big ol' 8x6 table. How does WOTR fare at this size?

Xelee
06-01-2010, 23:12
One thing that does slow the game down considerably is players finally realising that large durable units of cheaps troops do very well. Lots of points means lots of these units and a significant proportion of games can be occupied in the attritional warfare where multiple successive front and flank hits are required to take out enemy formations. There is a lot of dice in WOTR and if players scale up their forces sensibly at bigger points totals, then there will be a lot more.

Still, multiplayer WOTR is great fun, since you get that scale and massed combat while sharing the computational load.

Hero adamite
06-01-2010, 23:45
2,000 pt games :P Big games are always fun :D sometimes even more points if there is enough people to do 4 vs. 4's etc.

lorelorn
07-01-2010, 08:41
I haven't actually gotten in a game yet, but my opinion on GW games back in the day was always "The bigger, the better." I really look forward to 2K+ games, on a big ol' 8x6 table. How does WOTR fare at this size?

Very well. My largest game to date was playing through the Dain's Last Stand scenario. It took 2.5 to 3 hours to play through, and that was with frequent rulebook references since we were still getting familiar with the same system.

I expect it will be more fun yet at larger sizes.

I didn't answer the poll since I don't have a 'normal' games size, but have played at different sizes from 1200 to 3000.

Pacorko
07-01-2010, 11:09
I'm amassing lots and lots of figures for every army, with Isengard and Mordor being the most numerous, so my friends and I can begin with regular 2000+ points games in the near future. A few of them have chosen their force and are trying to keep up with me, thus making bigger games a real possibility in the months to come; although these will be exceptional and far between.

We can easily take two to two and a half hours to play with the 2K point limit, so we are quite confortable with that as it does not consume that much time and makes for a very rewarding afternoon among us, still giving us time for getting home early and dining with our spouses all within a reasonable hours. :p