PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition likelihood of Dwarf revision?

WolfofMibu
06-01-2010, 16:39
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, and I apologize in advance if it's not.

I just got into Fantasy. I picked up some Dwarfs. I'm holding off on buying the 7th edition rulebook since 8th is due soon. Am I safe in assuming that I should at least buy the Dwarf Codex since it doesn't sound like (from what I've read on these forums) Dwarfs will be getting an overhaul this year?

Thanks in advance.

silashand
06-01-2010, 16:49
It is doubtful Dwarfs will get another book anytime soon so I'd go ahead and get the current one if they are what you are interested in.

For reference, the following still need books (not including Beastmen which is slated for Feb already):

Tomb Kings
Bretonnians
Ogre Kingdoms
Wood Elves
Chaos Dwarfs (I add them since they've said they are planning on doing them)

After these, who knows.

Rumour has it Empire/Orcs & Goblins may get new books on or around 8th edition, but that's anyone's guess really.

Cheers, Gary

Ramius4
06-01-2010, 16:51
This is neither News nor Rumors. It should be in the Fantasy Discussion forum.

Razakel
06-01-2010, 16:58
I would say buy the current one, it will be many months before the 8th edition is released. Frankly other armies simply need it more than us, especially Chaos Dwarfs, those guys have been left in the dark for ages.

Starblayde
06-01-2010, 17:01
Rumour has it Empire/Orcs & Goblins may get new books on or around 8th edition, but that's anyone's guess really.

Which is because of the rumours of those two being in the 8th edition box. My local GW Store Manager dropped a fairly weighty hint that it wasn't worth me getting the 7th edition Rulebook on its own, as - paraphrasing - if you look at the release dates of each edition previously, it's about the right time for a new edition.

Dwarfs, I'd guess, are unlikely to get revamped any time soon, what with many people starting on Dwarfs thanks to what comes in the Skull Pass set.

WolfofMibu
06-01-2010, 18:22
I appreciate your confirmation. This is kind of what I was thinking.

I will buy the Dwarf Codex and wait for the 8th edition rulebook.

Crube
06-01-2010, 19:26
Thread moved to WFB General Discussion

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Grimstonefire
06-01-2010, 19:49
I would say we're looking at the end of 2011 as the soonest for Dwarfs.

Malorian
06-01-2010, 19:52
I appreciate your confirmation. This is kind of what I was thinking.

I will buy the Dwarf Codex and wait for the 8th edition rulebook.

Don't just wait, get out there and get some games in.

I'm sure you should be able to find someone to run you through the rules and then you won't be stuck doing nothing until the new book comes out.

Redvampire7
06-01-2010, 20:16
What Malorian said. Go play some games. 8th ed won't be significantly different to 7th unless you use magic (which dwarfs don't).

Ozorik
06-01-2010, 20:19
Infantry blocks are also getting a boost so don't just go the tired old gunline route.

Razakel
06-01-2010, 20:26
What I'm liking is that 8th Ed books seem to be abolishing the partial hits rule. Makes me rub my hands together with glee when I imagine my first full hit with a Flame Cannon and wipe out a good 2/3 of an enemy unit.

soots
06-01-2010, 20:39
Where did everyone get the info about 8th edition? the rumor thread about 8th edition is just a massive wishlist.

Malorian
06-01-2010, 21:38
What I'm liking is that 8th Ed books seem to be abolishing the partial hits rule. Makes me rub my hands together with glee when I imagine my first full hit with a Flame Cannon and wipe out a good 2/3 of an enemy unit.

Or better yet the damage the grudge throwers are going to put out :D

Might have to go to two runes of penetration :evilgrin:

WinglessVT2
06-01-2010, 21:50
They're probably not more than two years away.

The Red Scourge
06-01-2010, 22:21
Might have to go to two runes of penetration :evilgrin:

Must resisit temptation for sexual banter :p

Malorian
06-01-2010, 22:39
Har har ;)

But seriously, in a world of no partials a grudge thrower with the rune of accuracy and two runes of penetration will be king.

Condottiere
07-01-2010, 03:28
If I were to guess, with the introduction this summer of the next edition, the Dwarves probably would get revised in the summer of 2011.

Slacker
07-01-2010, 04:56
I'd be inclined to agree-if they are going to redo O&G and Empire, it makes sense they redo dwarfs as well, the caveat being this depends greatly on how Brets and Wood Elves age. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the order:

Beasts
Ogres/Tomb Kings
Other
Orcs & Goblins
Empire
Wood Elves
Dwarfs
Brets

Unless they find they need to nerd DoC even harder than they thought and the new edition doesn't cut it.

And if I wind up being right, someone better give me a freaking cookie or something.