PDA

View Full Version : EA Space Marines

orangesm
01-02-2006, 14:23
I recently fought a battle with my space marines and ran into the problem of trying to do to many things with them. So I have decided to go with a Thunderhawk assault and an armored spearhead.

The thawk assault consist of 3 thunderhawks carrying a battle company and the armored spearhead has a detachment of Landspeeders, 2 detachments of mixed predators, a detachment of terminators with land raiders, and 4 warhounds. Last thing is a Thunderbolt detachment to put on Cap.

Thoughts?

astrocortex
01-02-2006, 16:07
I recently fought a battle with my space marines and ran into the problem of trying to do to many things with them. So I have decided to go with a Thunderhawk assault and an armored spearhead.

The thawk assault consist of 3 thunderhawks carrying a battle company and the armored spearhead has a detachment of Landspeeders, 2 detachments of mixed predators, a detachment of terminators with land raiders, and 4 warhounds. Last thing is a Thunderbolt detachment to put on Cap.

Thoughts?

4 Warhounds? seems a lot. Maybe take just 2 and buy some extra formations with the points saved?

Maybe some bikes, they're always handy for an assault.

From the list you're using there I would split up the Terminators and Land Raiders into 2 formations. It increases the activation count and allows you to teleport in with the Terminators.

It looks like your plan is a pincer movement, get in on both sides and claim some nice crossfore, then nab objectives (such as blitz) late on.

Jow
01-02-2006, 20:51

Thoughts?

I think your air assault force is fine, but your ground force could use some work.

Thats 4150 total points...which is a kind of random point total. How many points are you intending to play? Did you bring any characters?

When I'm building an army, I like to break it down into how I can accomplis the 5 GT scenario goals + kill the enemy(6 goals).

-Blitz Objective. You're air assaulting, and with three units, you should have a reasonable chance to take these on the last turn if you're patient. This sometimes means not using your troops most of the game and waiting for the "right moment" to attack. You don't have much fighter cover, so enemy fighters may destroy your Thawks before they land.

-Break their Spirit. I generally don't even try to accomplish this goal with my marine army. It generally requires you to kill some obscene WE formation or Titan, and the marine list just isn't well suited to doing this.

-Defend to(haha) Flag. Well, this is where you're really going to hurt. Your army has only one formation with much staying power(the Terminators with landraiders) unless you plan on using your warhounds to sit on objectives.

-Capture the Flag. As with the blitz objectives, your army seems to be well suited to getting on the enemy side of the table and kicking him in the teeth. You still lack much fighter cover, and one unlucky crit on a Thawk has a good chance of costing you the game.

-They shall not pass. Well, hardly anyone ever accomplishes this goal unless they completely annihilate the oppostion, which is a task that marines don't really have the guns for. I don't really think ANY army can consistently keep the enemy out of its side of the table with last tunr bike activations, empty air drops, etc etc etc.

-Killing the enemy, and staying not dead yourself(TM). Well, this is where you may have some trouble. The air drops, and warhounds all have major killing potential. But the airdrops can also be like gambling, where you can win big, or lose big. You don't have much in the way to fight enemy fighters or kill enemy AA, so your drop ships might get shot down at extreme cost to you.

The predators don't really add anything to the list(especially in mixed formations), and I think you would be much better served by adding in two more tactical detachments in their place. I would also recommend dropping the Landraiders, and adding in a whirlwind detachment and a supreme commander somewhere. The whirlwinds are great at holding your own blitz while providing great fire support to the middle of the table. These suggestions give you a solid arm for holding your objectives with two tough units(the tacticals) and one that can support them from the back(the whirlwinds).

Your list:
Thunderhawk * 3 = 600
Tactical * 2 = 600
Assault = 175
Dev = 250
Term + Landraiders = 725
Preds * 2 = 600
Warhounds * 4 = 1000
Speeders = 200

Your list with suggested changes:Attack Arm:
Thunderhawk * 3 = 600
Tactical * 2 = 600
Assault = 175
Dev = 250
Term = 325
Warhounds * 4 = 1000

Holding Arm:
Tactical * 2 = 600
Whirlwinds = 300
Supreme commander = 100
Speeders = 200

Hope those suggestions help! Its still a way different list than I would play, but I can't make everyone play like me.

The Ape
01-02-2006, 21:04
Landraiders, whilst cool models, are too much of a fire magnet. Definately teleport the terminators - i personally use two units of terminators with a supreme commander so they can both assault at the same time - when it works, the sheer amount of damage they can cause is awesome and is your best for the BTS objective as well as CTF.

I dont value Predators that highly myself, but i have seen them used to good effect in support of tactical detachments or dropped in by lander.

Whirlwinds have their uses but remember they are NOT imperial guard artillery and shouldnt be used as such. Again, i find them most useful supporting tactical detachments.

The key to victory with marines, more so than other armies because of its small size, is mutual support and concentrating your force. Pick an enemy detachment and hammer it-once they break they can be mopped up so much easier.