PDA

View Full Version : Deathstrike launcher

Maren
06-01-2010, 21:20
I've read through the codex a few times now and I don't quite get the deathstrike launcher. I know it sucks and that it's never going to fire but that not the problem I have with it.

I mean how destructive is it going to be even if it fires second turn on a perfect target? The blast doesnt seem to be that great to me for a one shot weapon.

Can someone please explain how much damage it would do if it actually worked as you want it to? Because to me it doesnt seem like it would do too much damage....

Tarian
06-01-2010, 21:21
For the deathstrike launcher, the blast is "radius". Which means that thing can lay down a pretty big plate if it manages to fire.

Bunnahabhain
06-01-2010, 21:30
An 8-12" diameter high strength, Inv saves only, always full strength vs vehicles blast in the right place makes a mess...

If it works, it is devastating. If it works. IF....

bigcheese76
06-01-2010, 21:49
If it fires it is devastating, and can be much much worse than say a baneblade cannon.
It can have a huge blast diameter and could potentially take out three tanks in its one shot, making alot more than its points value back.

WinglessVT2
06-01-2010, 22:06
All that is merely evaporates.

Brady
06-01-2010, 22:11
i happen to have one in my list and it actually does pretty well for me. but maybe thats becuase i have good luck with it. in four out of the five games i have played it in it has got a 5 or 6 on the second turn. although my blast radius rolls were average i managed to take out a couple of units which my opponent thought he had placed cleverly inside terrain. until he found out it ignores terrain...

Maren
06-01-2010, 22:24
Nice, I guess I just didn't appreciate how much 12'' really is. Hm, I guess I'm not the only one thinking alot of (conscripts) henchmen, the colonel with the monocle and white uniforms am I? Hehehehhehe, Bwahahahha BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ahem....

StormWulfen
06-01-2010, 22:55
You are most certainly not, I had an apoc list with 16 deathstrikes in!
:evilgrin::chrome::skull::cheese:

Captain DD
06-01-2010, 23:31
You are most certainly not, I had an apoc list with 16 deathstrikes in!
:evilgrin::chrome::skull::cheese:

16!! How many points per side was this game!?! Without enough points to build the forces ... you could win quickly. How well did they work?

Spinxy
07-01-2010, 00:39
im currently building one as we speak, my fellow gamers are away on holiday and well when they return i have a suprise for them hehe

i really hope it works well, specially against their SMs

Noserenda
07-01-2010, 02:56
I had one that would have worked brilliantly had my opponent not been paranoid and scattered :D 2000pts of Mech IG crammed into 2ft of deployment zone :angel:

Still managed to bag 2 Russes, Cripple a Hellhound and Immobilise a Chimera (Plus some spod infantry) when it fired though.

I found with all the objectives favouring one end of our board, sticking it in the far corner in a ruin made it unpalatable.

Chem-Dog
07-01-2010, 03:37
Yeah, I recon by now the Deathstrike should have a few Apoc datasheets, using some of those nasty alternative warheads mentioned in the codex.

A Deathstike missile battery would be sick though...

Master Jeridian
07-01-2010, 04:03
I always find the ICBM funny outside of Epic (if we're honest it shouldn't even be on-board in Epic).

The blast should be several 40k tables long, instant death and leaving irradiated plastic trees and hills for centuries.

I think the inclusion of the Deathstrike in the IG Codex is most likely for use in Apocalypse style huge games on huge boards rather than as something you'd include in your 1000pts starter army.

StormWulfen
07-01-2010, 13:06
The blast should be several 40k tables long, instant death and leaving irradiated plastic trees and hills for centuries.

I don't recall reading anything that stated deathstrikes always use nuclear warheads

@Captain DD: This list is still only on paper at the moment due to lack of tanks to proxy with :p, but i can tell you the deathstrikes alone cost just over 2500 points and the rest of the list is bulked out with super heavies and chaos marines.

totgeboren
07-01-2010, 13:23
@Captain DD: This list is still only on paper at the moment due to lack of tanks to proxy with :p

meh, I have an Apocalypse list with OVER 9000!!! Obliterators. They would destroy your list in a snap.

oh, I don't have the models just yet, but the list is awesome! :P

dangermouse425
07-01-2010, 13:39
always full strength vs vehicles

ALWAYS? :confused:

I so totally could've vaporised that Land Raider! :cries:

The pestilent 1
07-01-2010, 14:37
I always find the ICBM funny outside of Epic (if we're honest it shouldn't even be on-board in Epic).

I think the inclusion of the Deathstrike in the IG Codex is most likely for use in Apocalypse style huge games on huge boards rather than as something you'd include in your 1000pts starter army.

Were does it state a Deathstrike is Nuclear?
Infact, it specifically states that it is a Plasma warhead. :eyebrows:

Master Jeridian
07-01-2010, 14:49
If your not gonna equip it with ICBM's then you might as well use a battlefield support missile launcher like the Manticore.

The Epic description says "a oneshot intercontinental solid fuel vehicle, which has an operational range measured in thousands of kilometres." "only deployed when a large strike is required on a key target beyond the range of conventional artillery." "Able to carry a range of payloads from plasma and vortex warheads to biological pathogens,.."

Whatever the payload it is designed as an ICBM, it should be thousands of miles from the battlefield, indeed it's unlikely to target a battlefield but an enemy city or base.
It's explosive potential, even plasma, should cover a 4ft x 6ft 40k table easily, meaning if it ever fires in normal 40k games, it's a suicide shot.

Using a Deathstrike to pinpoint bomb an enemy squad is like using a machine gun to dig a trench with bullets- a complete waste of a weapon's potential and role.

I'd see a Deathstrike in a 40k game more as an objective for the enemy, and the Imperials to defend. If it survives the game, it launches it's shot at the enemy city- game over, man, game over.