PDA

View Full Version : What to be aware of when facing Ogres.

Dvnjhn
06-01-2010, 22:10
Hi guys.

Got my first game against ogres next week and I am just wondering for general tips what to be wary off.

Dont know what list this boy will be using, but I am facing them with Chaos Warriors.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Lijacote
06-01-2010, 22:11
Ogres are pretty harmless if you just get close to them.

chaos0xomega
06-01-2010, 22:13
Ironically enough, its true. If you get close enough, they can no longer bull charge you (so no risk of impact hits).

Also, their magic phase is mostly a joke, especially if you have a fair amount of magic in your list.

Oh, and they basically crumble vs. shooting...

Stronginthearm
06-01-2010, 23:21
So effectively if you dont break on their charge you will be fine

MrSatan
06-01-2010, 23:30
Also be aware that they will usually play there units minimum size and in multiples and try to flank charge you

ICLRK625
06-01-2010, 23:35
From my experience, Chaos Warriors can go either way against Ogres. If you load up on Close Combat, they'll have a big advantage in movement, and Ironguts won't have much trouble taking out your Knights (4+/5+ armor saves aren't going to do much for you against a flurry of attacks). Because of the MSU approach a lot of Ogre players take, it's difficult to plan on beating them purely in close combat with a sluggish army (save Chaos Knights), especially since a good Ogre player will know to choose his battles.

On the other hand, if you load up on magic, Ogres won't stand a chance for the most part.

jay court
06-01-2010, 23:39
Avoiding the B.Charge is a no-brainer, Closing the distance between you & the Ogres but avoidng the charge will be tricky, remember Ogres move 6" (march/charge12).

Try putting an expendable unit i.e Chaos Hounds in front & either flee & then counter-charge with a unit of Knights or Warriors or hold with the hounds & wait for them to die, then position yourself to charge in.

Don't know what Marks you're taking, but Nurgle is good, as is Slaanesh.

chaos0xomega
06-01-2010, 23:56
Tzeentch too, bury them with magic...

bigcheese76
07-01-2010, 01:06
Shame your using Chaos Warriors. My best tactic against Ogres is the Dwarf Cannon.

As Chaos, my advise is to go a bit Tzeentch and out magic them as there magic phase is only slightly more eventful than that of the Dwarves.

enyoss
07-01-2010, 01:22
Points I try to remember with Ogres:

(1) They suffer badly to even the most mediocre of missile fire, particularly if it is poisoned.

(2) Don't forget their remains in play spells! It might sound like a good idea to let the odd one through when intending to dispel it in your own turn, but don't forget!

(3) Keep an eye on their unit sizes. Just four of the fatties will outnumber many ranked infantry units, and then it's outbreaking time if they win combat. Just because they're not that scary doesn't mean they stop causing fear ;).

(4) You'll lose a magic phase to the Hellheart nine times out of ten, so try to bear this in mind.

ChaosVC
07-01-2010, 02:55
Watch out for a unit of 20 orges with full command. When the fatties organised, the organised are flatten.

chaos0xomega
07-01-2010, 03:09
Yes, that is what is known as a deathstar unit. It equals fail. It's basically half your opponents points, tied up in one unit, that AT MOST can only have 3 or 4 models actually fighting at any given time. Easiest way to defeat it is to avoid it and destroy the handful of small units that make up the rest of his army. If you think you can manage, maybe just toss a tarpit unit at it to keep them from moving around.

Azethel
07-01-2010, 03:25
Iron guts/maneaters with the general are probably the only unit you need to worry about. Lead Belchers can be annoying but frenzied mara horsemen with flails will take them out, without frenzy it is a bit more dicey.

Best advice is to stock up on a lot of dogs and use them to bait/redirect, if you hit any of his units in the flank with chaos knights they will crumble pretty easily and you can roll down his army.

Also be aware of him using gnoblars to redirect your units.

mr.kislev
07-01-2010, 04:40
If he casts troll guts try and dispell it. It give mr 2 and regen, makes them that much harder to kill. If he has lots of butchers his units will be buffed up alot.

chaos0xomega
07-01-2010, 04:45
Oh... if he takes rhinox riders... well... put down the dice and give up. Never seen them not destroy an army on their own...

mr.kislev
07-01-2010, 04:55
Those are forge world models and rules. you have to ask your opponent before you can use them.

SimonL
07-01-2010, 04:57
Oh... if he takes rhinox riders... well... put down the dice and give up. Never seen them not destroy an army on their own...

Seriously, they're horrifying...they run down my Skaven like horses do to well...rats.

The Red Scourge
07-01-2010, 16:45
Most important.

You're playing what is regarded as the weakest army out there. So there is no reason to cheese yours to the max. Instead take the chance and try out some of those units you never use :)

chaos0xomega
07-01-2010, 18:41
Those are forge world models and rules. you have to ask your opponent before you can use them.

No, they are fully official white dwarf rules, you DONT need opponents permission for them. And even if they were Forgeworld, you still wouldnt need opponents permission, although it is perfectly within your opponents rights to refuse ot play you.

Orcboy_Phil
07-01-2010, 19:26
No any rules not in the main rulebook or an army book need oppenents permission to be used.

chaos0xomega
07-01-2010, 20:20
No. They dont. In fact, if you look at the rules for the Rhinox Riders, it says quite clearly that they are 100% official and should be treated as an entry in the OK army book.

Additionally, Forgeworld is 100% legal, and can be used at any time, with the exception of tournaments, where it is at the organizers discretion... but guess what, a tournament organizer also has the right to ban entire army lists from the tournament. For example, your lizardmen, I could run a fully sanctioned official tournament, and ban all lizardmen armies from competing, on the grounds that lizards scare me.

Havock
07-01-2010, 20:23
Now is the time and place for the hellfire sword. For *****, giggles and Mala...*is dragged away by inquisitorial stormtroopers*

Schelle
07-01-2010, 20:32
I am an OK army player and will only say one thing:

LEADBELCHERS!!!

I've actually never had any bad shooting phase with these guys. Actually have 3 units of 4 leadbelchers in my army and they are lethal all the time. I once rolled 32 shots with four of my guys and completely whiped out my opponents Orc Boar Boys unit of 10 strong.

Also be aware that they can reload when not moving one turn. So if they did not move the previous turn, try not to charge them head on, they might just shower your unit in shrapnel and completely dessimate it OUCH!!!

chaos0xomega
07-01-2010, 21:02
Alternatively, if you think you can weather the fire (never saw a chaos warrior army, so I dont know for sure, but I have heard that they are tough as nails to kill), you can let them shoot at you, and chances are at least one of them will misfire and die...

mr.kislev
07-01-2010, 23:04
No, they are fully official white dwarf rules, you DONT need opponents permission for them. And even if they were Forgeworld, you still wouldnt need opponents permission, although it is perfectly within your opponents rights to refuse ot play you.

which white dwarf? cause the forgeworld rules are here. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/rhinox.pdf

Col. Tartleton
08-01-2010, 01:56
As he said though its up to the player to play you at all, no one is forcing them (accept you maybe) so it doesn't matter if its "official" although it apparently is, because its up to them whether or not to play with you. Someone could have a legal but broken army and you could refuse to play it. Someone could have an illegal (house rules, custom units etc) and you could accept to play it. Official just means GW endorses their use and considers them play tested enough.

The only weakness of a Rhinox cavalry army is the $ involved.