PDA

View Full Version : Winter rough riders

TPSOhuzzar
08-01-2010, 04:45
im looking to get some rough riders for my Winter guard army but i want to do Snow-mobiles for them. I just can't find a web-site that sells mobile small enough for guard models.

Anyone know a web site i can check out?

Promethius
08-01-2010, 09:11
Not sure. I'd try looking at toy retailers. The problem is that most action figures will be around 6", so small snow mobiles could be difficult. I don't know if any of the airfix kits would have something suitable?

dangermouse425
08-01-2010, 09:16
You could convert it from a SM bike? just replace the wheels with outward facing, diagonal supports of plasticard, then get 2 thin strips of plasticard as skis, glue them to the supports. Obviously you'll need to get rid of bits like wheels, exhaust, etc, but the main structure could be maintained.

I have three spare SM bikes for sale for cheap if you want to experiment?

DasKhorne
08-01-2010, 09:19
If you have the funds, or if you try on ebay, you could probably find some bears the the Kislev guy's box set. In a recent tournament i played a guy using 10 rough riders as guys on polar bears.

But, the idea of the bikes is definitely good:cool:

TPSOhuzzar
08-01-2010, 09:59
Thanks for the Replies and i will looking in to the bike idea.... i though about the bear idea to. Bear Calv just sounds too cool but its been done befor... i want to try and do something i havent seen or realy heard of being done before.

sayles78
08-01-2010, 10:14
im looking to get some rough riders for my Winter guard army but i want to do Snow-mobiles for them. I just can't find a web-site that sells mobile small enough for guard models.

Anyone know a web site i can check out?

GREAT idea - and all the best with it. Little ideas like this - they are what make you fall in love with an army, winning or not.

I really cant help you however, but if you do source some, PLEASE post pictures of the finished unit!

dangermouse425
08-01-2010, 10:43
Thanks for the Replies and i will looking in to the bike idea.... i though about the bear idea to. Bear Calv just sounds too cool but its been done befor... i want to try and do something i havent seen or realy heard of being done before.

I was thinking of doing Bear sentinels, to go with my cold one rough riders, with a rider and a gunner on the back. But the bear models are so expensive, I decided not to. :(

TPSOhuzzar
08-01-2010, 10:52
Well if i can get then up and running i will do my best to post pics.
I say its a winter themed army but i got so may ideas im working on.
I love the idea of walkers like the sentnials im working on makeing a 4 leggeg on for rough urban terrian. Am also in the process of trying to aqurie some deflier legs to convert a Russ into a walker. And if i can evey get it started there will be pics :evilgrin:

I was thinking of doing Bear sentinels, to go with my cold one rough riders, with a rider and a gunner on the back. But the bear models are so expensive, I decided not to. :(

You could check out repear mins. they have some bears for about $5.00 , and they are a good size for guardsmen

the1stpip
08-01-2010, 12:07
Have you considered using Rhinox? They can be bit ordered separately from GW.

Bunnahabhain
08-01-2010, 12:48
Veterans on skis ( so they can move fast) with under-slung krak grenade launchers on their weapons ( one shot high strength short range weapon). Use cut down lasguns as carbines, so they can count as pistols.

I keep meaning to get round to doing some myself, but having 50+ normal rough riders done, and a heap of painting to do, means they keep getting put back...

Chem-Dog
08-01-2010, 13:15
Rough Riders + Snow = TaunTauns

You know you want to!

Count de Monet
08-01-2010, 13:32

One of the Ork bikes has a tracked rear section. I would imagine that you could put skis up front instead of the wheel and de-orkify it a bit and it might work for you.

Earthbeard
08-01-2010, 15:01
One of the Ork bikes has a tracked rear section. I would imagine that you could put skis up front instead of the wheel and de-orkify it a bit and it might work for you.

The Ork trak vehicles are bigger than marine bikes though, so might be too large.

Try searching ebay for old epic landraiders as the rear track system and as previously suggested use scout bikes, as they are a little lighter looking and come with more cool bits than a standard marine bike!

That's my suggestion.

Ambience 327
08-01-2010, 15:21
If you can get your hands on the older plastic Ork bikes, they were slightly smaller than SM bikes, and had tracked rear sections. You could make some really nice snowmobiles out of those without too much work. Of course, finding them is the real trick.