PDA

View Full Version : Gondor in the 4th age (ideas)

Lusall
08-01-2010, 04:48
So I'm making an army for Gondor in the 4th age. I've got the main idea down but I'm strugling for a color scheme. The only thing I know for sure is that the shield will have a crown above the tree. (painted on of course) Any ideas would be cool! :)

Xelee
08-01-2010, 08:08
Hi Lusall, I'm making a 4th Age Ithilien force. IMO, the uniform/iconography shouldn't be changing too much during the part of the 4th Age we have info on but some old units will be disbanded and new units formed. You might also want to use something like the Tolkien Wikia to rename some heroes.

So for example, I have no Rangers of Ithilien, but have the White Company (using the Grey Company Stats, since they'd hardly ambush!) and someone like Elphir (Imrahil's son) as an addtional commander with Faramir. The likely allied troops would change too, given the area and campaign.

Lusall
08-01-2010, 18:28
Awesome. Thanks for the info. And yes, a lot of the names are changing a great deal. Like...I'm using Borimir but giving him a different name. (A captain of Gondor who was promoted by Aragorn) Like I said, the main color I think can stay the same, the only big change I'm making is putting a crown above the tree on all the shields.

I don't use the Guard of the fountain court (there job is basicly no longer needed with the King returned) but...What I am doing is using the Knights of Dol Amroth profile but converting normal Knight models into what is basically mounted Court guard. (Mounted Royal guard or something along those lines.)

But what I'm going for is the army being sent north to begin the campaign to reclaim Arnor/Eriador. And that's an interesting idea. :) I'll have to roll with that as well. Updates to come!

jakelautrec
09-01-2010, 22:40
Awesome ideas ...good luck!!!!!!

Lusall
10-01-2010, 15:11
All right...the core of the army will be veterns of Osgiliath. But I'll call them War of the Rings Vets. Or vets of the Black gate. Any ideas on how to convert them or what models to use?

Xelee
10-01-2010, 19:25
Lusall, I'm using those guys too. They make a lot of sense for an early 4th Age force. Maybe 'Morannan Vets'?

While GW does do very nice metals, I'm just using a mix of normal warriors and archers for the bulk of them. Plastics are easy to add dents in armour, damage to shields, extra sheilds to archers, that kind of thing. There is a fairly recent thread here on converting them, I think.

(edit) Here is an essay on the 4th Age: http://www.merp.com/essays/MichaelMartinez/michaelmartinezsuite101essay17 It's also worthwhile googling various 3rd Age personalities (Imrahil, Beregond etc) in order to get the sames of their sons and some breif notes that Tolkein came up with for that period. If you like PC games, there is a very good 4th Age mod for R:TW.

Lusall
11-01-2010, 03:05
Lusall, I'm using those guys too. They make a lot of sense for an early 4th Age force. Maybe 'Morannan Vets'?

While GW does do very nice metals, I'm just using a mix of normal warriors and archers for the bulk of them. Plastics are easy to add dents in armour, damage to shields, extra sheilds to archers, that kind of thing. There is a fairly recent thread here on converting them, I think.

(edit) Here is an essay on the 4th Age: http://www.merp.com/essays/MichaelMartinez/michaelmartinezsuite101essay17 It's also worthwhile googling various 3rd Age personalities (Imrahil, Beregond etc) in order to get the sames of their sons and some breif notes that Tolkein came up with for that period. If you like PC games, there is a very good 4th Age mod for R:TW.

Indeed. I've been playing that. :) I've found it rather entertaining and usefull.
The using basic plastic warriors had crossed my mind and it's probably what I'll end up doing. Morannan vets sounds about right as well. The only other thing I figured was...using the warriors of Arnor models or maybe the Numenorean warriors from the last alliance box? That could represent warriors who have been given a sort of high status among the armies of Gondor, being that they volunteered to march on the black gate and thus have been given fine armor. (Sort of like the Silver Shields in the days of Alexander.)

wildhorse
22-01-2010, 00:20
[QUOTE=Lusall;4276539]So I'm making an army for Gondor in the 4th age. I've got the main idea down but I'm strugling for a color scheme. The only thing I know for sure is that the shield will have a crown above the tree. (painted on of course) Any ideas would be cool! :)[/QUOTE

I wanted to do a fourth age Gondor, but I use Boromir so it would be a bit out of place if I used him in that kind of army.