PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Campaign.

Tokugawa100
09-01-2010, 07:54
Hi all.
Me and a couple of friends are planning a narrative campaign and I need a few suggestions.

Ill tell you the story first.

The simple mining world of Haephestus has recently been plagued with a disturbing amount of abductions. Enough to report on the population count of the Adeptus Ministorium representatives to be concieved as alarming.
Mines in the south equator have been quarantined by the local adeptus arbites and cut off from the mining population who demands wo know where their friends and family have dissapeared to.
Those who do not comply with the quarantine are killed on sight.

Governor Rolf fears they have no option but to call in an Inquisitor to investigate the situation.

Rather the pointlessly requisitioning from the painfully slow reacting beauracratic Ministorum the Governor instead calls for aid from nearbye Prometheus.
A more prosperous mining world.

The Planet responds immediately sending a local Inquisitor by the name of Icarus Krellzul accompanied by his retinue.

The Inquisitor makes planet fall at the quarantine zone to discover many dead civilians and cold faced arbites.

The Inquisitor makes his way inside and the deeper into the mines they go the more horrible things they uncover.
Ichor drips from the walls and fleshy tissue now forms most of the caverns smelling of humid steam.

After reaching the mines headquarters it becomes apparent what happened to the miners.
White eyed and blood dreanched come the miners with fleshy parasites protruding from their skulls like open brains.

After a hasty retreat the miners charge out into the open and the Inquisitor along with the arbites must fight the horde off.

After sufferng immense casualties the Inquisitor specially calls in a Black Templars fleet passing nearbye.
The Templars answer the call, heroically ready to defend a world of the Imperium under threat.
Along with the Templars the Inquisitor makes a second attempt going deeper into the mines believing that the parasites are but a piece of the puzzle.

The team reaches a barricade in their path and they will require a dreadnought to remove it.
As they wait for the dreadnought to makes its way to their location they are assailed by a group of Lictors.

After dispatching the Lictors the team along with the dreadnought move onwards discovering a buried Norn Queen, barely living.
Along with it is an army of Tyranids cut off from the Hive Mind and trying to start anew with the Norn Queen as their master.

After the Inquisitor puts the Queen out of its misery the Tyranids revert into a frenzy and the team begins a hasty retreat out of the mines.

The Inquisitor warns the Templars of the oncoming horde and a great battle begins as the Tyranids swarm out and meet with the Templar force.

After a glorious victory with many dead the Inquisitor orders Exterminatus on the planet fearing that the Tyranid threat has reached through countless tunnels in the maze which is the crust of Haephestus.

OK.:D

What I need help with is....

1. With the mind controlled miners Im not sure what stats I could use to represent them. At first I thought zombies but the idea is they arent shuffling zombies but sick but fast puppets.

2. The first mission involves a small group of Arbites facing off a swarm of civilians. Im not sure what stats I would use for them or maybe what kind of special rules.

3. Any suggestions of what would be the best kind of Tyranid, Inquisitor and Tewplar force for such a campaign would be great.
Like should it have heaps of ravenors or a Trygon... or should the Templars have alot of tanks to combat the swarm at the end.... Im a little lost and I want to keep it as in themed as possible.

We are actually going to go out and buy armies specifically for this campaign so this is why i ask what you think would be the best way to go about it.

To give you an Idea of the missions.

1. Quarantine
A small group of Arbites "storm troopers" faces off against a larger group of weaker civilians, they must kill them before they go into the mines.
If more then ten civilians make it into the mine they will have failed, or if they are all killed by the civilians.

2. A Disturbing Discovery
The Inquisitor, his retinue and a small group of Arbites discover the brain snatched miners who descend on them. The Inquisitor must make it off the board alive in the direction they came.

3.The Horde
The creatures rampage into the daylight and must face the arbites and the Inquisoter. A local guard garrison has also come to help.

4.Ambush
The Inquisitor and the Templars are ambushed by five lictors and must the Inquistor must stay alive for five turns.

5Run
The Inquisor has killed the Norn Queen and the survivors must flee off the board in the direction they came. At least the Inquisitor must make it off the board alive.

6.The Battle of Haephestus Mines
The surviving Arbites, guard and the Templar force lead by the Inquisitor must face off against the tyranid horde, whoever wins WINS.

Any pointers would be great too.

Thankyou in advance.:)

rb.uhs
09-01-2010, 11:23
I'm too lazy to make suggestions, but it sounds pretty cool from what you've thought up already.

Good luck.

Tokugawa100
09-01-2010, 12:24
Thanks:D, I just want to make it as fluff authentic as possible so im not sure what kind of Tyranid force to put together, or Black Templars for that matter.

DeadlySquirrel
09-01-2010, 12:46
fluff wise, id say lots and lots and lots of gaunts for the nids and for the templars: lots of initiates and land raider crusaders.

for the arbiters stats, i recommend going to the GW website and downloading the necromunder enforcers list and use their stats as arbiters.

i dont know about the civilian/zombie things though

good luck with your campaign btw

azimaith
09-01-2010, 12:46
Governor Rolf fears they have no option but to call in an Inquisitor to investigate the situation.

Planetary governors don't really have the authority to call in an inquisitor, they are above and outside standard imperial power. Still, he could easily ask for aid.

Rather the pointlessly requisitioning from the painfully slow reacting beauracratic Ministorum the Governor instead calls for aid from nearbye Prometheus.

Ministorum is essentially the church for the Imperium, you're looking for the Adminastratum or even the Departmento Munitorium, dependent on the planet and whats being asked.

The Planet responds immediately sending a local Inquisitor by the name of Icarus Krellzul accompanied by his retinue.

Local Inquisitor sounds weird, once again they aren't law enforcement per se, more like secret police, thus they aren't really "local".

After sufferng immense casualties the Inquisitor specially calls in a Black Templars fleet passing nearbye.
The Templars answer the call, heroically ready to defend a world of the Imperium under threat.
Along with the Templars the Inquisitor makes a second attempt going deeper into the mines believing that the parasites are but a piece of the puzzle.

Funny that they'd call a chapter rather than the deathwatch, but any port in the storm.

The team reaches a barricade in their path and they will require a dreadnought to remove it.
As they wait for the dreadnought to makes its way to their location they are assailed by a group of Lictors.

You could extend this by simply using demo charges and what not and having to defend said member from said lictors. Then again, you don't ahve to.

After a glorious victory with many dead the Inquisitor orders Exterminatus on the planet fearing that the Tyranid threat has reached through countless tunnels in the maze which is the crust of Haephestus.

Eh, if hes just going to exterminatus the world why fight through all of that? Just saying exterminatus is a little over-used in 40k fiction.

1. With the mind controlled miners Im not sure what stats I could use to represent them. At first I thought zombies but the idea is they arent shuffling zombies but sick but fast puppets.

2. The first mission involves a small group of Arbites facing off a swarm of civilians. Im not sure what stats I would use for them or maybe what kind of special rules.

WS/BS2, S3, T3, I3, A2, W1, LD10 Fearless, Feel No Pain.
The WS and BS are representative of civilians (which should be 1's but is two because they're all feral and frenzied), the attacks represents a flurry of attacks (poorly aimed probably, but still), and the feel no pain represents them ignoring minor flesh wounds, not going down until totally torn apart.

3. Any suggestions of what would be the best kind of Tyranid, Inquisitor and Templar force for such a campaign would be great.
Like should it have heaps of ravenors or a Trygon... or should the Templars have alot of tanks to combat the swarm at the end.... Im a little lost and I want to keep it as in themed as possible.

If the norn queen is buried and attempting to rebuild the first thing its going to want is genestealers to infiltrate the local populace and create a psychic beacon. The tunnels can house any tyranid creature thats warrior sized or smaller. I don't think its especially likely they'd waste biomass on a trygon without the actual need for it (they're fighting arbites and local citizenry until the templars arrive.

We are actually going to go out and buy armies specifically for this campaign so this is why i ask what you think would be the best way to go about it.

To give you an Idea of the missions.

1. Quarantine
A small group of Arbites "storm troopers" faces off against a larger group of weaker civilians, they must kill them before they go into the mines.
If more then ten civilians make it into the mine they will have failed, or if they are all killed by the civilians.

2. A Disturbing Discovery
The Inquisitor, his retinue and a small group of Arbites discover the brain snatched miners who descend on them. The Inquisitor must make it off the board alive in the direction they came.

3.The Horde
The creatures rampage into the daylight and must face the arbites and the Inquisoter. A local guard garrison has also come to help.

4.Ambush
The Inquisitor and the Templars are ambushed by five lictors and must the Inquistor must stay alive for five turns.

5Run
The Inquisor has killed the Norn Queen and the survivors must flee off the board in the direction they came. At least the Inquisitor must make it off the board alive.

I think killing the norn queen would be a mission. Norn queens are no mere hive tyrant or the like, they're huge bio-factories (last I heard, starship sized though perhaps smaller in the case of the dominatrix and her carrying ability) and as such, don't really deserve to be killed off screen, especially when they're protected by things like dominatrix.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Norn-Queen

6.The Battle of Haephestus Mines
The surviving Arbites, guard and the Templar force lead by the Inquisitor must face off against the tyranid horde, whoever wins WINS.

Any pointers would be great too.

Thankyou in advance.:)
This sort of campaign seems much better suited to small kill team battles. Large battles are great and all but if your going to go through all the trouble of making all these missions you probably want special rules so you can utilize fewer "hero" models against an oncoming swarm. For dramatic effect you also want lots of small nids with relatively few large ones. This not only increases the impact to the players of the forces arrayed before them but allows the destruction of larger tyranids to be a more triumphant and challenging task.

Tokugawa100
09-01-2010, 12:54
Thankyou for the tips.
Yes, a couple of the missions I would like to do as either kill teams or patrol because they are small scale.

Note: Sorry about the mistakes with the Inquisitor, I always thought of them as like detective law enforcers weeding out heresy and alien incursion.
Thats how I wanted to portray him.

As for the Norn Queen, I didnt think there was much point considering the things barely living and only just able to keep control of the tyranids it rules over.
But maybe I can work something out.

Tokugawa100
09-01-2010, 12:58
Eh, if hes just going to exterminatus the world why fight through all of that? Just saying exterminatus is a little over-used in 40k fiction.

I totally agree but the idea was that his gone down into the tyranid nest, found the problem, killed as many as he can but the verdict is the infestation has spread too far.
They cant catch them all, they cant kill them all as they are living in a maze of mines so they have only one choice.

Abandon the planet and may the Emperor have mercy on their souls.

azimaith
09-01-2010, 13:08
I totally agree but the idea was that his gone down into the tyranid nest, found the problem, killed as many as he can but the verdict is the infestation has spread too far.
They cant catch them all, they cant kill them all as they are living in a maze of mines so they have only one choice.

Abandon the planet and may the Emperor have mercy on their souls.

Well if that's the case why battle them at all, why not retreat to orbit as soon as the big tyranid swarm shows itself.

As for the norn queen, just because shes not a fighter doesn't mean shes not protected, by all rights she should be the most protected tyranid on the entire planet being their only source of direction and gene splicing. The mission might consist of fighting your way to the norn queen through her elite guard rather than the norn queen itself (IE try doing a game with everyone on a short edge moving up toward the other short edge where the norn queen waits.)

Earthbeard
09-01-2010, 13:12
For the "mind slaves" use the zombie horde datafax for apocalypse chaos. They have pretty lack lustre stats, but take awhile to kill and are dangerous as a horde! Could possibly give them some kind of instinctive behaviour if outside of Synapse range too.

azimaith
09-01-2010, 13:36
He said he didn't want shambling zombies. All they need is basically civvi stat lines, and the bloodlust/fnp rules.

Gutzmek
10-01-2010, 02:01
Quick idea, instead of committing Exterminatus against the planet, have the the Imperial forces preventing the Nids form escaping the mines(mine objectives) while workers try to rig the entrances to collapse, leaving one shaft open to place higher yield explosive down. It expands the number of missions(hold objectives mission and a mission to place the bomb and get out), gives a reason for the Imperial units to fight(they would be trying to confine the nids to a specific mine system), and gives your Nid player an reason to play(they win if they can break out of the mines or prevent the delivery of the explosive)

other ideas include;

using ravengers, because they would be a great boss for the Kill team segments and fit in a campaign tha mostly takes place underground.
refrain form using trygons/mawlocks, they can allow nid producing units to escape confinement.
use Tivigons as mobile objectives, modify there rules so they can produce other units.
introduce a rogue inquisitor or the mechanicus as rivals seeking to undermine the Imperial forces for there own reasons
for infected miners, i would say use the mutants as a base and add fleet of foot(you can find the rules on the GW website in the Apocalypse data sheets)

hope I could Help.:) sorry about misspelling nid unit names, i don't have the new codex on me.

Tokugawa100
10-01-2010, 02:20
Thanks Guys, so I would need a fair few Ravagers,Im still not sure what kind of Templar force would come out to aid them.
Im thinking hastily prepared and not really a main fleet so their supplies are limited.

Any other ideas on missions which could prevent Exterminatus would be great.

Xyrex
10-01-2010, 07:14
Zombie:
Ws Bs S T W I A LD SV
1 - =s =t 1 2 =A 10 sv-1

it goes like this: zombies are normally S of the infected models, but count as poisoned 3+.
This repreasents the infection. If the model causes instant death, remove the models that it wounds, they cant be infected if their obliterated!

A model that is reduced to 0 wounds is counted as "infected" (note that victim and infected are 2 different things as explained later). In the following turns, have it take a dangerouse terain test. if it fails, it becomes a victim (zombie).

Zombies/victims are fearless, feel no pain, and have the rage rules.

Zombies count as winning a combat as long as they outnumber the enemy.

Zombies substitute the models normal S, T, and A characteristics.

Sv subtracts one from the result of the zombies roll (they are stupid and dont know how to use the armor properly, making the weakspots exposed.) So a space marine zombie would have a 4+ save, and a gaunt or ork zombie would have no save at all.

Zombies always have 1 wound due to the virus having already degenerated the bodies.

Zombies have ws1 and I2 because they are still slower than usual.

Zombies have slow and purposeful, and gain no bonus attack for charging.

Zombies may not fire weapons.

If zombies win a combat the enemy substitutes the number of wounds taken by the number of zombies he is outnumbered by (a zombie unit of 20 wins a combat against a squad of 5 marines. they also cause 1 wound. The 1 wound is ignored and instead has to take 15 saves because there are 15 more zombies than marines.)

any infected models gain the fearless, furiouse charge, rage, and feel no pain rules (they are bent on revenge and know they will die anyhow.) Also, the infected models automatically break off from the unit and count as indipendent characters. They may join other infected, but not any no infected unit (no getting the comrads sick)

Any furter wounds to an infected model from a zombie automatically infects them.

I suppose this wouldnt work because it is designed for daemon zombies, but maybe it will givu an idea.

Aiwass
10-01-2010, 09:35
Maybe you can find something useful here:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238532

Earthbeard
10-01-2010, 13:03
He said he didn't want shambling zombies. All they need is basically civvi stat lines, and the bloodlust/fnp rules.

I merely said to use the apoc data sheet, how they are dealt with fluff wise is a seperate issue, it allows a better idea for points value and can symbolise the hive mind through synapse/fearless rules.

Changing how they move each turn is hardly a game killer, or one that precludes them being based on a "zombie" datasheet does it!?