PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think that GW are taking the P*ss with the prices of the new beastmen stuff?

HughbertofKhorne
09-01-2010, 10:01
Been looking online just now at the new Beastmen models and prices... 27 seems far too steep for a box of 3 plastic minotaurs, and 15 for 10 gor or ungor is a joke!!!

Think I'm gonna stick with WoC... I've got three full armies of that anyway lol

and the new minotaurs are horrible, bit too cartoony for my tastes.

Ultimate Life Form
09-01-2010, 10:05
No, the Minos already have a undeserved yet growing fanbase as well as the Razorgor. While they messed the army up in a way that I'll never ever consider starting it again, I'm sure they'll will sell enough of their shiny (?) new stuff.

warriorpoet1
09-01-2010, 10:10
Hey, if you lived in Australia, you'd realise everything GW sell is expensive!

Thurizdan
09-01-2010, 10:24
We do get it pretty rough here, it's not just the exchange rate, they just jack the prices up by 30-40%.

BigRob
09-01-2010, 10:59
I cannot begin to recommend Wayland Games enough. Possibly the cheapest I have found on the web and the service is excellent.

Have a look on there! :D

plantagenet
09-01-2010, 11:01
Hmm really not a fan of the new GW pricing model.

50 pounds for 20 Beastigors (lets be honest that is how many you will need) and 27 pounds for 3 Minotaurs which I expect most people will want six of at least in any Army.

This new price structure grates in a way the Skaven one didnt. If they had released the Beastigors as a box of 20 for 30 pounds I would have been ok with that. Gors and Ungors should have been boxes of 20 for 20.

Will not stop me playing the game just means I find resisting these new releases very easy :)

CaptScott
09-01-2010, 11:09
Will not stop me playing the game just means I find resisting these new releases very easy :)

Good point. If prices were cheaper I wouldn't be able to resist collecting multiple armies. As is it I have to restrain myself to one at a time. Thanks GW, you're saving me money!

Duke Georgal
09-01-2010, 11:30
I have never been one to complain about price. If I like something, I buy it.

I do not like the new Minotaurs. Not at all. I would not buy them if they were $35.00 for six.

mattjgilbert
09-01-2010, 11:35
I cannot begin to recommend Wayland Games enough. Possibly the cheapest I have found on the web and the service is excellent.

Have a look on there! :DGaming Figures (http://www.gamingfigures.com/) are good too but GW are changing the way trade prices are calculated for all independant stockists so many if not all may have to reduce the discounts they can offer. I think Gaming Figures are trying to offset that by offering free shipping; others may do similar.

I don't really like the new minotaurs but the doombull is OK - I prefer the "classic" (and cheaper!) metal one though.

zak
09-01-2010, 13:14
No. They are a business and not a charity. They charge what they feel is a fair price and if we disagree we don't buy them. I want the models and will pay the price. Compared to most computer games the models are cheap and will still be in use in 3 years time when the computer game is obsolete!

Raellos
09-01-2010, 13:22
No. They are a business and not a charity!

Well, duh. Just because they are a business doesn't mean they have to jack up the prices so much. The cost of Empire troops has driven me to buying historicals rather than the cool newer Empire sculpts, for instance. Unfortunately Beastmen players aren't quite so lucky.

Creamster
09-01-2010, 14:05
Poor models with poor rules. If chaos was still combined I might have picked up some beastigors. Thank you gw for bumping up the price on the core and then making them worse, you have pushed me away from beasts. The mino's and characters are icing on the cake.

Fyi I actually like the pumbagor!! I need to stop drinking

HughbertofKhorne
09-01-2010, 14:19
As for games workshop being a business and not a charity, over-pricing yourself out of the market (which seems to be their intent these days) is not good business practice. the Models cost pennies to make, literally, and while I have no doubt that their over heads are steep, they don't justify the mark up that they're placing on their ranges.

as it goes, there are many, many miniature companies that make 28mm high fantasy models and while some (most) aren't up to the standard of Games Workshop they are a hell of a lot cheaper, which the younger and somewhat cash strapped amongst us will find more attractive.

Razakel
09-01-2010, 14:25
Yes, but I've always felt that way about Warhammer. Even when I first got into it I remember thinking "wow these guys sure do cost a lot of money."

However in my heart I know if I truly want a model, then I'll buy it, pretty much regardless of the cost. I think many Warhammer players feel the same way, especially since Warhammer is a rich mans game. If I was to work out all the money I'd spend on Warhammer over the last 8 years I'm certain it would be over €1,000, probably over €2,000 and not entirely unlikely that it could be €3,000.

Bottom line, the price won't matter all things told, you'll either want the models or you won't.

Griefbringer
09-01-2010, 14:30
15 for 10 gor or ungor is a joke!!!

After the release of Empire archers and goldswords last summer, this hardly comes as a surprise, I am afraid.

as it goes, there are many, many miniature companies that make 28mm high fantasy models and while some (most) aren't up to the standard of Games Workshop they are a hell of a lot cheaper

And if you choose to go for historical instead of fantasy, it can get even cheaper. Perry Miniatures released lately a box of late medieval plastic infantry, with 40 models for 15 (and I have seen at least one webstore offering it for 13.50 with worldwide postage on top). Meanwhile Warlord Games has been offering a deal where you get 90 infantrymen, 24 cavalry and a cannon with crew for 50.

scarletsquig
09-01-2010, 15:16
Gaming Figures (http://www.gamingfigures.com/) are good too but GW are changing the way trade prices are calculated for all independant stockists so many if not all may have to reduce the discounts they can offer. I think Gaming Figures are trying to offset that by offering free shipping; others may do similar.

I don't really like the new minotaurs but the doombull is OK - I prefer the "classic" (and cheaper!) metal one though.

WTF?

Great, gamingfigures 25% discount was the only thing that made buying GW product remotely worthwhile for me.

Trust GW to change their online trade terms to ruin even that for me...

t-tauri
09-01-2010, 15:22
Thread closed. Beastmen already being discussed . Please take pricing threads to otehr GW.