PDA

View Full Version : Best doubles combos

jay court
10-01-2010, 14:07
What do you think are the best doubles combos?

Don't worry about wether they would team up fluff-wise, just what you've done, or would like to see.

Guard & Marines is one, 'Nids & Khorne Daemons is another.

What do you think?

Chem-Dog
10-01-2010, 14:16
Gk's and SoB's do very well from what I'm told.
Death and Raven wing?
Horde Orks and anything that's heavy on the MC's (Daemons, Tyranids) would probably be nasty to go up against.
Not sure why but an Eldar Pathfider heavy force teamed up with a SM scout Sniper force sounds painful. Especially with a couple Techmarines bolstering stuff.

Cluveru
10-01-2010, 14:23
From what I read in a battle-rep some time ago, CSM with lash and SW with JotWW is a nasty combo. And their basic units do well together as well.

jay court
10-01-2010, 14:37
Deathwing & Ravenwing or "Deathraven" armies are cool. everything is troops & fearless.

Plus out-flanking & D.Striking the whole army is funny.

totgeboren
10-01-2010, 14:46
I have faced a Tau/Nids combo a few times, and they are harsh. Tau armies can really do some heavy damage when they don't have to worry about getting assaulted. The Nids force you to turtle up, and they just look much scarier, so they draw all the firepower, meanwhile the Tau are totally owning you.

It must be said the its kinda harsh for the Nids player too, since he will basically all the enemy firepower.

bigcheese76
10-01-2010, 16:31
Me and my friend have played a deadly Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle combo before.

Another that I have found works well is Guard and Damonhunters.

susu.exp
10-01-2010, 16:32
Ive played one with my Nurgle CSM and Eldar. Being able to combine the survivability of Pleaguemarines (extendable with Fortune for maximum staying power. One of our opposing pairs had Dual Councils charging one unit of PM and lost both. They teamed that up with Wolves) and the qualities of Eldar on the attack is nice.
And yes, Tau/IG+Orks/Nids/Daemons/CSM is nasty.

DeadlySquirrel
10-01-2010, 16:40
ive seen an extremely powerful IG tank army and khornate daemon army. Worked really well.

eldar and tau can be really good if done correctly

Nids and marines are good

Dark eldar and CSM can be good.

Wolves and GK are good aswell.

Sasquatch
10-01-2010, 16:54
Well, if the doubles tourny I played yesterday is any indication, Tau/Nids is the way to go. The "Tauranids" got best general with two massacres and a major (IIRC).

For what it's worth, my partner and me came in second with dual Space Wolves armies ... Third was IG/marines.

Fell
10-01-2010, 17:07
Ive played one with my Nurgle CSM and Eldar. Being able to combine the survivability of Pleaguemarines (extendable with Fortune for maximum staying power. One of our opposing pairs had Dual Councils charging one unit of PM and lost both. They teamed that up with Wolves) and the qualities of Eldar on the attack is nice.
And yes, Tau/IG+Orks/Nids/Daemons/CSM is nasty.

Actually, both the guide and fortune psychic powers are only usable on eldar units as the description's wording is very specific.

Allthough you could argue that it could be used with dark eldar. A 2+ re-rolled invulrable save archon could be pretty nasty.

Bunnahabhain
10-01-2010, 17:09
Guard and Orks.

Powerful, cheap CC Troops units that thrive on rushing forward, charging, and so taking objectives, with serious fire-power, and fast skimmers full of trouble.

Additionally, you can both mech up/ horde up to equal degrees, so denying your enemy whole classes of target. We have 28 vehicles and no foot sloggers, or we have 380 infantry and nothing with an AV. Waste you lascannons/flamers ( delete as appropriate) on that!

Usopreme
10-01-2010, 17:23
Orks and Dark Eldar are a pretty gross combo

Vaul
10-01-2010, 18:06
Nurgle Marines and Nurgle Deamons. Nuff said.

WH40KAj
10-01-2010, 18:09
Won a store tourney with my Nids allied with Necrons before... came up against stuff like landraider/dark reaper and ork/eldar lists etc etc..

Max_Killfactor
10-01-2010, 18:26
Orks and Dark Eldar are a pretty gross combo

Yup, very nasty.

susu.exp
10-01-2010, 18:39
Actually, both the guide and fortune psychic powers are only usable on eldar units as the description's wording is very specific.

Well, doubles tournaments requires some FAQing to make them work anyway and in that Tournament the rules stated that any psychic power which you can target your own units with could also be used on those of your co-player. This meant Synapse would grant Fearless and EW to the other army... The Eldar/SW mix we won again went on to win the tournament. We badly lost against a Tau/Ork list, mainly because they played slowly (measure the move for 120 Orks individually. Run. Measure the run move for 120 Orks individually) and we lost some to Tau shooting and time ran out on turn 2(!!) when we had gotten our Flamers ready to burn their way through the Orks and the suits had two units of Fire Dragons ready to bake them (and a unit of PM was ready to assault 2 Units of Fire Warriors and a 10 Strong Kroot unit). We won another one brilliantly (Tau+BAs) and lost one against Eldar+Nids through greed (Charge that Unit of Guardians with Scorpions + Fuegan and win, or charge the Hive Tyrant with Fuegan and use the Scorpions to charge both the Guardians and an Avatar and have a chance to wing real big...).

Dach
10-01-2010, 18:46
Well, if the doubles tourny I played yesterday is any indication, Tau/Nids is the way to go. The "Tauranids" got best general with two massacres and a major (IIRC).

For what it's worth, my partner and me came in second with dual Space Wolves armies ... Third was IG/marines.

It was actually the Orks/DE army that won best General.

The "Tauranids" actually got massacred by me and my partner at round 3.

Our Team was SM/Orks. Green Tide and Drop pod Army. Quite a nasty combo, actually out of 3 games we got 2 massacre and one massacre against us, which was against Epidemius Daemon Army/Deathguard.

Start of turn 3 they had Epidemius bonus at full strenght... :cries:

jay court
10-01-2010, 21:16
Nurgle/Khorne Daemons is another one. Epidemius & his mates in the 1st wave, then Skulltaker or a Juggernaut Herald etc in the 2nd.

The P.Bearers come down & soak up all the firepower, then bring down the B.Letters to bring on the pain.

Dach
10-01-2010, 22:02
well it's not that good, cause khorne unit doesn't add up the kill for the tally of pestilence.

deathguard which do have the mark of nurgle, add a lot of kill with 2 melta, 2 plasma and powerfist in each squad...

then at the end you got deathguard with 2 base attack that wound anything with T4 or less on a 2+ re-rollable and power weapon. :eyebrows:

Inach
10-01-2010, 22:05
Daemons are indeed good to team up with since they can attack from where needed and aint hinder your ally with army setup.
With the excellent troop destroying power daemons can bring, they need some real good Anti tank support and (depending on type of daemons) some xtra units to soak some bullets.

Hicks
10-01-2010, 22:19
Nurgle Marines and Nurgle Deamons. Nuff said.

This! I'm scared to even try it.

sorienor
10-01-2010, 22:48
I've never played doubles but I would love to try Tau and Orks.

jay court
10-01-2010, 23:03
Nurgle in the first wave ONLY. Getting better every time they kill stuff. The Khorne wave is there to take out what's left!

Mannimarco
10-01-2010, 23:09
this is another vote for nurgle daemons and pure death guard, I did it once and only once (because nobody would let me do it again :D)

hq winged prince and epi, lots of plague marines and as the heavy support? 3 winged marked princes, try it folks its just awesome

Thud
10-01-2010, 23:20
this is another vote for nurgle daemons and pure death guard, I did it once and only once (because nobody would let me do it again :D)

hq winged prince and epi, lots of plague marines and as the heavy support? 3 winged marked princes, try it folks its just awesome

Yah, I played an Apoc battle once against all-Nurgle Chaos with Epidermius. It was bloody annoying... :p

Violator_40K
10-01-2010, 23:31
me and my friend were at the doubles tourney and we both played nids. The amount of IG players with 2-3 valkyries ALL with twin lascannons was a bit crap. Every single IG army had at least 2 valkyries and every space marine army had either drop pods and/or a vindicator. Got a bit boring in the end when we were only fighting imperial armies for the whole tourney =/. Oh and the lash spam, khorne give me strength! A landraider flanked by 2 slaaneshi dps with wings and lash of submission! Hated that combo.

Me and my cousin are going for emperors children and my daemons. I feel more comfortable with daemons atm. we'll likely go for lash of submission + pavane of slaanesh spamming, with a vindicator too; juggers to trample everything; and tzeentch daemons to shoot the jeebus out of everything else.

toxic_wisdom
11-01-2010, 02:14
"...What do you think are the best doubles combos ?.."

First thought to pop into mind would be Dark Eldar and Tau Empire ( though certainly NOT for the Greater Good !!! )

Firepower of course would be a huge plus for the combined forces, then DEs close combat skills could be applied where Tau lacks in that department.

Dach
11-01-2010, 04:08
I'm sure our tournament army would eat that duo alive.

green tide = too much to shoot to make a difference

Sm drop pod = easily destroy or neutralize the most dangerous either the Tau or DE have against the Orks.

S00N3R FR3AK
11-01-2010, 05:26
Deathwing & Ravenwing or "Deathraven" armies are cool. everything is troops & fearless.

Plus out-flanking & D.Striking the whole army is funny.

Yeah just need to make a sacrifice to the dice gods before the game starts ;)

Chem-Dog
11-01-2010, 06:53
Well, doubles tournaments requires some FAQing to make them work anyway and in that Tournament the rules stated that any psychic power which you can target your own units with could also be used on those of your co-player.

Am I the only guy who automatically thinks that powers shouldn't cross over? I'm willing to countenance a few exception for move/redeploy type powers but honestly...

Nurgle/Khorne Daemons is another one. Epidemius & his mates in the 1st wave, then Skulltaker or a Juggernaut Herald etc in the 2nd.

OR Skulltaker on a Juggernaught! Besides this build doesn't take the whim of the gods into account.

Some special FOC in play here?

Scythe
11-01-2010, 12:05
Am I the only guy who automatically thinks that powers shouldn't cross over? I'm willing to countenance a few exception for move/redeploy type powers but honestly...

You are not the only one. Like shown in this thread, it leads to massive balance issues once you allow that (ok, 40k suffers from massive balance issues already, but no need to make it worse).

genestealer_baldric
11-01-2010, 12:30
The tau reserve army coupled with a stealer flank march army, would be hediously powerfull and hard to destroy.

x-esiv-4c
11-01-2010, 12:35
Deathguard and a Epidimius list.

Mannimarco
11-01-2010, 12:51
Some special FOC in play here?

no not really, if you can mix the codices you can take an HQ prince form codex:csm, epi from codex:daemons, TROOPS plague marines from codex:csm and HEAVY SUPPORT 3 winged marked princes from codex:daemons

Count de Monet
11-01-2010, 13:18
I would think two Ork armies full of shootaboyz would be nasty. One shoots while the other one Waaaghs into combat, then next turn repeat with roles reversed. Assuming that the tourney rules don't have abilities crossing over to allies, in which case you'd only get one Waagh.

Dach
12-01-2010, 03:27
In the tournament we just played, all combo were effectivy banned, except for Epidemius (The tournament master said it was ok because it affected friend & foe.)

So no, you could'nt fortune a TH/SS Termi squad, or anything else nasty you might think... but Epidemius working on deathguard... no problem...

:skull:

ok, ok I still got that massacre on the heart a bit... sorry to rant! :D

Broken Loose
12-01-2010, 05:55
2 Big Meks. 2 Troop Deff Dreads. 9 Killa Kanz. Insert power armored army's 3 dreadnoughts in Elites. Kustom Force Field on everything. Plague Marines fill out the rest. Alternatively, trade a Mek + Dread in for Logan so Wolfguard can fill out the rest. Tactical Dreadnought Armor counts, right?