PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of using beastmen but.....

shadowskale
10-01-2010, 22:16
I always liked the look of bestmen and even more so now they have been updated, however I would like to know from you guys "how do they play."
I like my armys to be good in combat with some good magic for back up, would I be going the right way with beastmen?
any info on the new army book would be great...like what units are good ect.
thanks ~Shadowskale

LKHERO
10-01-2010, 22:21
The biggest thing is that Beastman can ambush. They can come unexpected from behind your lines and kill off your War Machines or offer rear charges into your troops.

They are tricksy.

Ultimate Life Form
10-01-2010, 22:21
Uhm... The only thing that's for sure at the moment is that the army has been seriously gutted, so no one in the world can tell you how they will play. I suggest you come back in 3 months and ask again. It seems though that Beasts have much to offer in regards of fighting power with the Minos, the Razorgor and the new overpowered monsters that seem to populate/dominate every 7th Ed book.

shadowskale
10-01-2010, 22:25
The biggest thing is that Beastman can ambush. They can come unexpected from behind your lines and kill off your War Machines or offer rear charges into your troops.

They are tricksy.

Ooh the though of charging my minotaurs up the rear of some empire troops makes my bulls ard.

AramilSairSianontel
10-01-2010, 22:27
From what they say the new beastmen will be a powerful close combat army with minos killing everything-a buttload of attacks at a high strength- razorgor will also be destructive in close combat, and magician charakters as they will be boasting some destructive new spells. So troops killing, charakters casting, is rumoured to be the spirit of the army...oh and army-wide hatred -wicked sick-...at least thats from the rumours until now.

Nicha11
10-01-2010, 22:38
So troops killing, charakters casting, is rumoured to be the spirit of the army...oh and army-wide hatred -wicked sick-...at least thats from the rumours until now.

So they're like Dark Elves?:p

Lijacote
10-01-2010, 22:39
Ooh the though of charging my minotaurs up the rear of some empire troops makes my bulls ard.

A particularly delightful turn of phrase, especially with that avatar.

Right now, it's a bit difficult to say anything about the Beastmen. Ambush is definitely different from before, and I'm not sure it'll be that awesome without Khazrak giving you a bonus (even with special characters merely becoming named characters, it's not that easy to get people to accept them).

shadowskale
10-01-2010, 22:40
So they're like Dark Elves?:p

but look cooler

A particularly delightful turn of phrase, especially with that avatar.

ROfl, whats wrong with my avatar...you wish you had a carebear :p

AramilSairSianontel
10-01-2010, 22:42
No...especially their opponents won't be having the "We will fight in the shade" syndrome that the DE opponents experience when 121343243 crossbow bolts fly at them every shooting face....the army-wide hatred comes from a rule that's called primal-bestial-fury or something and it has a more random nature. It could be frenzy sometimes. I've heard that if Doombull is general he can change it at will.

Harwammer
10-01-2010, 23:12

That would be exciting but minotaurs can't ambush in the current book and don't seem likely to be able to in the forthcoming book.

Currently beast herds, beastmen characters and warhounds can ambush. I heard in the new book it will just be gor/ungor units that can ambush (apparently characters and hounds may not be able to soon).

Its hard to say how beastmen will fight, currently I tend to use 3x chariot and 3x 4 minotaurs to win combats with small herds and hounds as support, spawn disrupt the enemy. The herds will probably be replaced with skirmished ungors and the ambushed hounds replaced with some other rank breaking unit (if ambush remains any good). The spawn will likely be replaced by some of the newer, more expensive hard to shift units as much of my points current get frittered on things i don't really need.

Leogun_91
11-01-2010, 11:35
oh and army-wide hatred -wicked sick-...at least thats from the rumours until now.Requires a Ld test to work, if suceeded at insane courage they get frenzy as well, roll each round and each effect lasts that long.

Go for the beasts, they are versatile enough from what I've seen when reading the book at my local GW. The plastics are actually good when you see them, the minotaurs in the book are painted in a way that makes you react in the same way as seeing a live Jabberwych (possibly killing yourself to avoid the sight).

Arjuna
11-01-2010, 23:48
I think the new rules sound like a lot of fun and though it could be argued that the ability and control over ambush has been diminished it is still a very interesting feature of the army. I have a beastman army and I liked playing it even though it was never considered one of the elite armies.

If you are very sure that you are going to play the army buy a boxset of ungors/gors NOW! The price raise on these is steep in the new box and models are virtually same quality. Just put your ungors on 20mm bases rather than the 25 mm bases that are in the current box.