PDA

View Full Version : Need a Fantasy player who also plays 40k perspective on 40k

gorenut
11-01-2010, 19:12
I know this may sound like its in the wrong forum, but I want to see the perspective of fantasy players. Please leave unnecessary flames about 40k out of this. Basically... I've been getting drawn back into 40k because of the setting and models. I played 40k from 2nd ed through 3.5. I kind of left it because the rules bugged me too much but I'm wondering how much the rules have changed since. Also how the balances of the armies have been. If I were to go back, I'd go Orks.

LKHERO
11-01-2010, 19:22
I play both games so I know quite a good deal about the two.

5th Ed. has true line of sight.. and no target priority so if your model can see it, you can shoot it. Other than that, units basically get a 4+ cover from everything and anything. The entire game is also based on mech now, so everything is in a transport. That's why meltaguns are king.

Believe it or not, Orks are very good in 40k right now. Nob Bikers with a Pain Boy is just too amazing. They have a ton of power claw attacks, turbo boosting for a 3+ invulnerable, 2 wounds at T4(5) with FNP. In terms of army strength, Eldar, Orks, IG (king of the hill), CSM, SM and SW are all up there.

Oh, I noticed you live in the OC. Care for a game at the Bunker sometime? :)

gorenut
11-01-2010, 19:25
Thanks for the input. How would you say 40k runs on a smaller scale? Like say around 1,000 pts.

Its been probably over a year since I've been to the Battle Bunker. If I ever get my Lizardman army finished, I'll for sure keep you updated, hah.

LKHERO
11-01-2010, 19:36
Thanks for the input. How would you say 40k runs on a smaller scale? Like say around 1,000 pts.

Its been probably over a year since I've been to the Battle Bunker. If I ever get my Lizardman army finished, I'll for sure keep you updated, hah.

Runs pretty well. The game is much more balanced at lower levels than Fantasy. For example, a TK or VC list without a Lord choice is just not that great.

O&G'sRule
11-01-2010, 19:38
40k by its nature as a skirmish style game works well at lower points levels, in fact I prefer 40k small as it doesn't just become about how many big guns you can have which is the problem with apocalypse. Its certainly true that it has become a mechanised game, almost every list is transport heavy. You can watch imperial guard armies play without ever seeing a troop the whole game. The LKHERO assessment is pretty spot on imo. I would add though if you go nob biker heavy people might not like playing you, if you're doing Orks have fun like theyre meant to don't power game

LKHERO
11-01-2010, 19:41
Agreed completely with the Nob Bikers assessment. I would stick to the large units of Boyz with the Claw delivery system.

Also, Special Characters are everywhere in 40K.. as opposed to Fantasy where is customary good manners to ask your opponent's permission.

gorenut
11-01-2010, 19:42
I guess that goes good. I used to run a vehicle heavy ork army. Ofcourse, if I go back into Orks.. I'd focus more on stuff I never had when I played them in 3rd ed.. that is.. the copters. I'd want as many of them as I can field, even if they aren't effective. I also always had a soft spot for Stormboyz, so I'd definitely load out on those.

LKHERO
11-01-2010, 19:44
I guess that goes good. I used to run a vehicle heavy ork army. Ofcourse, if I go back into Orks.. I'd focus more on stuff I never had when I played them in 3rd ed.. that is.. the copters. I'd want as many of them as I can field, even if they aren't effective. I also always had a soft spot for Stormboyz, so I'd definitely load out on those.

Stormboyz are also really good.
This will get you back into the game really quick:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Category:Orks_Tactica

Tae
11-01-2010, 19:58
I play both WFB and 40k fairly extensively and have at least 3+ full (i.e. 2k WFB/1.5k 40k) armies for each. I was planning to go to both Grand Tournament's this year but was unemployed when the tickets came out and they sold out in like 3 days so had so all chance to buy them (but will be going this year).

Not that any of this makes what I say 'right' but just to give some perspective on where I'm coming from.

Anyway, onwards ..

Personally, I love 40k so much more, game wise. Fluff wise, nothing will ever beat my love for Elves (of all 3 kinds) in WFB, despite my luff of 40k fluff. It just can't compare to WFB's. However game wise I just find 40k to be the much better game.

WFB games can so often degenerate into rules lawyering or bickering over the slightst angle/inch. Some people (such as one of my good friends) loves this aspect of WFB, personally I hate it. It just means that if I'm playing someone who is going to play like that, then all my turns are going to take at least twice as long as instead of moving a unit to mostly where I want it, I will spend literally tens of minutes checking every single angle of the unit. That, to me, is dull.

There are other aspects of WFB I dislike as compared to 40k (but still love WFB). Lists in WFB play so much more of a role in WFB than 40k. Yes writing a list is part of a player's overall generalship, but it shouldn't (in my view) have quite the impact as they currently can in WFB. I also don't like the standard requirements for WFB lists (i.e. scroll cadies) to make it even remotely competetive.

I like the missions in 40k and am looking forward to their possibly being introduced into 8th Ed (as they were used in this year's GT) as I think it will have a significant shift on the meta-game. Which brings me onto the last, and sadly most important point. WFB is dominated by 2 lists - Dark Elves and Daemons. And the 'winning' lsits from both armies never fit fluff-wise and are solely about the meta game. Bloodthirster with Horror bodyguards? Yes because that's realistic fluff-wise. Shade deathstar with 4 characters in? That would be shades .. as in the canibalistic Dark Elves who hate outsiders? With 4 Nobles/Wizards in? Yes, because that clearly fits.

Now 40k is by no means above such 'abusive' lists (Slaanesh double lash DPs with accompanying Plague Marines etc.) but not to the same extent, and even then the lists don't play as important a part in the overall outcome as in WFB.

However, both games are still enjoyable and I really love playing them both. All I wish is that WFB be given a little bit of a shake up as currently it is starting to get a bit dull for me personally.

gorenut
11-01-2010, 20:09
Thanks for your input Tae. A big part of why I started looking back into 40k.. you mentioned ("mandatory" things in lists, Daemons, etc) . Also, I'm finding less and less free time nowadays so I want to play games that take less commitment and in the past where I loved complex games.. I'm starting to really appreciate simple games. 40k just seemed like it scales better to 1k games and games seem to go quicker.

titos334
11-01-2010, 22:31
there.

Oh, I noticed you live in the OC. Care for a game at the Bunker sometime? :)

Im from OC, used to play at Comic Quest awhile back until they move and have gone to the GW in Mission Viejo, where is the Bunker at?

Im away at college now but the mission viejo GW sucked for Fantasy, mainly has kids who play 40K. Would be nice to find a place to play when I go back home.

LKHERO
12-01-2010, 00:08
Im from OC, used to play at Comic Quest awhile back until they move and have gone to the GW in Mission Viejo, where is the Bunker at?

Im away at college now but the mission viejo GW sucked for Fantasy, mainly has kids who play 40K. Would be nice to find a place to play when I go back home.

Here's the LA Bunker:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/games-workshop-la-bunker-westminster

It has like 50 gaming tables.