PDA

View Full Version : Space marines and alcohol

Xyrex
12-01-2010, 04:45
So we all know a SM organs, and how they get rid of poison. (The space marine swallows, if there is poison, it is detected and rerouted, then gotten rid of.) So what I've been wondering is: Since alcohol is a poison, and space marines would rerout it away from the digestive system, does that mean a space marine can never get drunk?

marv335
12-01-2010, 04:55
space wolves do.
Their version of a drinking contest, is to drink as much as you can, as fast as you can, to get drunk by overwhelming their systems capacity to deal with it.
Most other chapters don't indulge so much.

Xyrex
12-01-2010, 05:04
... do these codex writers EVER READ THEIR OWN FLUFF?

Vaktathi
12-01-2010, 05:06

No, but that said, even water can be a poison if ingested in large enough quantities.

Thud
12-01-2010, 05:06

Probably not.

... do these new posters ever read the forum titles below the 40k Rules Forum?

;)

The Ginger Ninja
12-01-2010, 05:43
No, space marines can't get drunk. I think the SW have developed a type of beer called fenrisan mead, that can get them drunk. think it was mentioned several times in the space wolves omnibus, somewhere.
Also shouldn't this be in background?

Codsticker
12-01-2010, 07:01

Ouch! My sides! :D

AndrewGPaul
12-01-2010, 08:36

Yes, they do; that bit about the Space Wolves' drinking contests was written, IIRC, by Bill King, who invented the Space Wolves as we know them today. I think that particular nugget comes from the intro to a battle report. Ragnar Blackmane had been one of the drinkers, and he gets a little annoyed when a Blood Claw reports in a litle too loudly and upsets his hangover. Doesn't stop him kicking Ork **** and getting one over on the Dark Angels.

In any case, it's entirely consistent with the fluff; the Oolitic Kidney isn't magic; it can be overwhelmed by too large a dose of poisons, and Space Wolf beer is strong stuff (not to mention, they do drink a lot of it).

Insane Psychopath
12-01-2010, 08:40

It been well know for the Space Wolves to try everthing to get drunk. As point out this is in the Space Wolves Omnibus & you can find out about the drunkness in the recent Codex Space Wolves.

So for Wolves, it is fluff. No other chapter would do this I belive.

Hypaspist
12-01-2010, 08:40
No, space marines can't get drunk. I think the SW have developed a type of beer called fenrisan mead, that can get them drunk.

hhmm I see inner conflict within your post... ;)

Dogface
12-01-2010, 08:47
As far as I know Fenrisian Mead is actually poisonous (as in stop dead fatal) to normal human beings because it's had to be strengthened specifically to defeat the Oolitic Kidney (and even then Space Wolves have to drink copious amounts as quickly as possible to overpower their bodies defenses).

Glabro
12-01-2010, 09:11
No, space marines can't get drunk. I think the SW have developed a type of beer called fenrisan mead, that can get them drunk. think it was mentioned several times in the space wolves omnibus, somewhere.

Beer =! mead.

Anyway, the point isn't that the beverages of the Rock are especially strong (naturally, they are at that), but that the Wolves have developed an agent that suppresses their poison resistance for a duration long enough to get drunk.

This means in theory it's very possible to poison Space Wolves en masse during their feasts if a writer was insiduous enough!

Zark the Damned
12-01-2010, 10:16
As stated, the Ooltic kidney is just very efficient at getting rid of poisons, it can still be overwhelmed with enough effort (this is why Poisoned attacks actually still work against them in the game)

Under normal circumstances, Space Marines can't get drunk.

Space Wolves however make it a point to drink vast amounts of extremely strong alcoholic beverages in order to overload their Ooltic kidney and become drunk.

WinglessVT2
12-01-2010, 11:26
Basically, they ingest ridiculous amounts of beer that would send fantasy ogres to their deaths, and only if they drink it all fast enough does it have any real effects on them.

Yes, it's really stupid, but what kind of viking doesn't get drunk and dance on his lord's table?

Latro_
12-01-2010, 11:39
It was always a grey area (hah) with space wolves. They went down with a more viking route in the new codex whereas before it was 'blood claws are allowed a bit of alcohol now and again', with the wolves its the new beards i cant stand, haha mutton chops gtfo of here. Plus how are you gonna get that helmet on looking like a wookie?

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, you can explain away old fluff with vague new fluff, gw do it all the time.

AndrewGPaul
12-01-2010, 11:42
It was always a grey area (hah) with space wolves. They went down with a more viking route in the new codex whereas before it was 'blood claws are allowed a bit of alcohol now and again', with the wolves its the new beards i cant stand, haha mutton chops gtfo of here. Plus how are you gonna get that helmet on looking like a wookie?

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, you can explain away old fluff with vague new fluff, gw do it all the time.

If Ragnar can manage it with an 18" topknot, his Wolf Guard can get ther Grizzly Adams beards into their helmets. Perhaps they're specially modified.

bigcheese76
12-01-2010, 11:47
There are two main things stopping a space marine getting drunk. Their complex and enhanced digestive system which does not allow poisons through and their chapter master who is most likely to discourage this greatly anyway.
It would probably be possible for a space marine to get drunk but the amount of alcohol he would have to consume would be huge.

Latro_
12-01-2010, 12:23
Everyone knows ragnars topknot is just a hair squig he yanked off a warboss he splatted

:P

mightymconeshot
12-01-2010, 15:23
dont space wolves also add a plant to it to suppres their ability to consume alcohol?

Sfixterman
12-01-2010, 15:31
I suppose... ONLY SW are allowed by the emperor to get drunk and question their commanders - even fight them... while beeing drunk!! The other marines abhor drink except BA... they drink to forget their insanity... lol

genestealer_baldric
12-01-2010, 16:25
dont space wolves also add a plant to it to suppres their ability to consume alcohol?

yep i was about to add this but i was beaten to it they do add a herb in to inbiet/stop the breaking down of alchol alllowing them to get drunk.

this may be one of the special herbs mentioned in wolfblade that imperial assains have harvested to help them deal with SM if they need to in the future.

Loki73
12-01-2010, 16:32
Several of my Blood Claws have stines they carry into battle. Good times a SW party is! The hangover prolly sucks!

Sanguis Dominus
12-01-2010, 16:37
Several of my Blood Claws have stines they carry into battle. Good times a SW party is! The hangover prolly sucks!

Haha, yeah, even in the 41st millennium I doubt they've found a hangover cure that works.

Master Jeridian
12-01-2010, 17:18
Tricky, as with most 40k background it is a conglomeration of cliches rather than a consistent internally balanced world.

On the one extreme you have genetically engineered super soldiers with organs designed to extract poisons from their bloodstream.
They are also extremely devout and fanatically obsessed with waging war.
The organ should dramatically reduce the amount of alcohol remaining in the bloodstream, the life obsessed with war has no time for beer-fueled parties.

On the other extreme you have the Space Viking, the Wolves are extremely 'tongue-in-cheek' like the Orks in terms of not taking themselves or the 40k world that seriously. So they swill mead from their horned helms of psuedo-Viking heritage.