PDA

View Full Version : For comaprison: Skaven Release, VoxPop

EmperorNorton
12-01-2010, 15:21
Since there is a poll going about how well the Beastmen release has been received I am interested in getting the numbers for the Skaven release.
The Skaven got a far more positive echo, but then that may be just a subjective impression. Hence this poll, to get some comparable data.

So the same question here as in the Beastmen poll:

What do you think of the models, overall?
To clarify, this includes only the models released last November, with the new army book.

JackBurton01
12-01-2010, 15:23
Skaven release was awesome! I intend to start a skaven army soon.

The SkaerKrow
12-01-2010, 15:37
The Skaven army was of such quality that it sold nearly everyone in my gaming group, to a degree, on starting a Skaven army. Some are starting slowly, some are starting immediately, but many ratmen were purchased. The models were amazing, very characterful and evocative.

Razakel
12-01-2010, 15:39
The new models look brilliant, I personally love the Plague Furnace.

Malorian
12-01-2010, 15:39
I thought most of it was amazing.

basher
12-01-2010, 17:45
every minature in the new release is fantastic cant find a bad one 101% better than the old minatures shame about the night runners i loved them that much its inspired me to start a new army and start a painting blog

Ultimate Life Form
12-01-2010, 17:55
We got some REALLY amazing stuff here, like the Doomwheel, the new Screaming Bell kit, Sniktch and Queek, but then there was also *some* stuff that was more on the average side, like Skweel Gnawtooth and some of the new Clanrats look a bit bland. Also I don't like the style direction they went for with the Stormvermin, but that's merely personal taste. So all in all, I vote 'good'.

This all somehow fits in with my 'style change' thread where I pointed out that GW were heading into a new direction with their design (the Skaven models I criticized being the harbingers of a new era), and now they openly throw it into our face with Beastmen.

All the armies I like have thankfully been updated recently with AWESOME models, and the stuff that's up next is of no interest to me, but if they keep ruining the style I'd say it's quite possible I won't buy many new models when the time comes again. I'm already wondering what types of super-evil monsters they could stick in the Bretonnian and Dwarf armies? :rolleyes:

fubukii
12-01-2010, 19:46
one of the best things ever.

Arjuna
12-01-2010, 23:21
I think the last Skaven release was the best army release for rules and models. The beastmen release will be good at least and perhaps very good for rules while I think the models are the weakest to be released with an army in a very long time. Perhaps the Ogre Kingdom models are a worse release.

Hrogoff the Destructor
12-01-2010, 23:49
I thought it was the best release we've seen yet. That screaming bell kit is the coolest thing I've ever seen in terms of models.

mr.kislev
13-01-2010, 09:07
Perhaps the Ogre Kingdom models are a worse release.

the orgre models are pretty good. i would definately say they are better then some of the new beastmen stuff.

Agoz
13-01-2010, 09:16
We got some REALLY amazing stuff here, like the Doomwheel, the new Screaming Bell kit, Sniktch and Queek, but then there was also *some* stuff that was more on the average side, like Skweel Gnawtooth and some of the new Clanrats look a bit bland. Also I don't like the style direction they went for with the Stormvermin, but that's merely personal taste. So all in all, I vote 'good'.

This all somehow fits in with my 'style change' thread where I pointed out that GW were heading into a new direction with their design (the Skaven models I criticized being the harbingers of a new era), and now they openly throw it into our face with Beastmen.

All the armies I like have thankfully been updated recently with AWESOME models, and the stuff that's up next is of no interest to me, but if they keep ruining the style I'd say it's quite possible I won't buy many new models when the time comes again. I'm already wondering what types of super-evil monsters they could stick in the Bretonnian and Dwarf armies? :rolleyes:

awww.. come on! Skweel is my favorite model of the bunch! :)

Grimmeth
13-01-2010, 09:32
Queek is a gorgeous model, one of my favourite Fantasy models.
I didn't think Skweel was too bad either, and can't really find fault with any of the models at all - in fact I'd go as far as to say they all impress me (although I'm yet to build any Stormvermin).
So I voted Awesome! :)

lord ugwart
13-01-2010, 10:19
They were pretty amazing. I'm just starting to buy my first boxed sets, the lack of new nightrunners did infuriate me however (it doesn't take much)

Avian
13-01-2010, 10:23
The only thing so-and-so in the Skaven release as I see it is the Skweel miniature. Everything else is at least Good and a lot of it is Awesome.

Whereas the best of the Beastmen is only marginally above mediocre.

Lord Khabal
13-01-2010, 10:27
Last year before I drop my eyes on the new models, skaven would be the last army I would consider doing. Now I'm buying them. That is just how much awesonme they are!!! Beastmen on the other hand... :( URGH!!!

EmperorNorton
13-01-2010, 11:19
Last year before I drop my eyes on the new models, skaven would be the last army I would consider doing. Now I'm buying them. That is just how much awesonme they are!!! Beastmen on the other hand... :( URGH!!!

At one point I considered the Skaven to be an army I'd never start, as well.
That position had been compromised by their appearance in several pieces of fiction (Gotrek & Felix, Blackhearts) and the new models pushed me over the edge.
I agree on Skweel being the low point of the release, and even he is not really bad. The rest was simply great IMO and I think the Bell/Furnace kit set a new benchmark for GW.

The Bestmen poll had me wondering if it wasn't just a "you can't please everyone" situation and I assumed every army would have their fair share of positive, negative and indifferent reactions.
Both the Skaven and the Lizardmen polls seem to contradict that theory.

I'm curious for what reasons someone voted the Skaven release bad or horrible, considering the general opinion is overwhelmingly positive.

Shadow_Steed
13-01-2010, 12:28
I voted awesome. I think this was a big lift-up for Warhammer in general, with new great plastics, Ive never really liked skaven, although with this release I think they are really cool.

Queek; One of the coolest charachter models around, great pose and model! Excellent!

Bell/Furnace and Doomwheel; Really cool big plastic set with lots of options! Excellent!

Stormvermin; Also a great release.

Clanrats; A good update but nothing extraordinary.

Furthermore it is always awesome with new armybooks!

zak
13-01-2010, 12:37
I voted awesome. The complete range in plastic were fanatastic and really caught the nature of the skaven and additionally you could rank them....which was an advantage over the last ones!

mrtn
13-01-2010, 13:17
I voted awesome, I like all the new skaven minis.
I also think that the spelling of "comaprison" in the thread title is funny. :)

Hragged
13-01-2010, 13:31
Really great stuff IMO. Some of my favourite plastics so far.

*SQUEE*
13-01-2010, 13:39
I voted Awesome. I think the new Skaven release is near the top of what GW has out for fantasy.

Skipster
13-01-2010, 16:28
I jumped on the awesome band Wagon. It was the new figures that got me back into Warhammer.

Infurion
13-01-2010, 16:35
I voted good, reason for not awesome is the poorly written rules on alot in the book.

Lijacote
13-01-2010, 17:06
What/who is this comaprison and why are you dedicating a thread to him/her/it? :p

I really liked the Skaven release, it wasn't full of terrible naming convention, poor miniature policy and controversial rules, not to mention the fluff was really good, the last time I read it at least.

It was pretty much a textbook "good" armybook.

EmperorNorton
13-01-2010, 18:57
What/who is this comaprison and why are you dedicating a thread to him/her/it? :p
It is a facility where people are brought who pose that particular question.

Or maybe it's just a very unfortunate typo...