PDA

View Full Version : Uk Wd 306

Yorkiebar
20-05-2005, 10:52
Personally I think this is a pretty good White Dwarf. It has:
WH40K
An article on Gaunt's Ghosts and Dan Abnett in general, A long article on Tyranids, rules for Deathwatch kill teams, a 2500 point battle report of IG versus Tyranids, upcoming Ichar IV campaign and Index Arstates: Tyrannic War Veterans.
WHFB
Zombie Pirates in Lustria (an entire in-depth army list), an article on Itza with a Lizardmen army list variant and the Tale of Four Gamers with battle reports.
LOTR
An overview of races in the War of the Ring, a scenario and Battle Report and ideas for converting corsair ships.
Other
'Eavy Metal Showcase, Bloodletters by George Dellapina, Price Hike in Northern Europe, Treekin for the Wood Elves coming soon, new Skaven, new Tyranids, new Lizardmen

Next Issue:
WHFB
Lustria Tactica, a Tale of Four Gamers and Barak Varr
WH40K
Tyranid kill-teams, Tyranid kill-team battle report and part one of a three-issue terrain article
LOTR
Sample War of the Ring terrain, new campaign based on The LAst Alliance and new rules for siege equipment

Tastyfish
20-05-2005, 11:28
What kind of Deathwatch Kill Team is it? Just a reworking of the old one for Kill Team or something more like a unit from the preview list of Alienhunters?

Yorkiebar
20-05-2005, 11:31
It is a unit, you are allowed one in any imperial army as a HQ choice, excluding non-codex space marines. They are really pretty cool, they get special ammunition types and targeters available for their bolters, True Grit and Deep Strike

Minister
20-05-2005, 15:20
Deathwatch are, to all intents and purposes, the same as last time. Battle report was rigged as usual (and had a cheesy IG army. Not one full strength troops choice!). LotR is as boring and unoriginal as ever. They still havn't let Index Astrates die.

The Zombie Pirates list, however, justified the whole issue, and I don't even play fantasy! It's a prime example of what White Dwarf should be doing for the readers, giving us something new and with a bit of depth to it. Also demonstrates why WFB is looking depressingly better than 40K - it has all the traditional GW darkness and still manages a sense of humour.

Sgt John Keel
20-05-2005, 19:02
Deathwatch are, to all intents and purposes, the same as last time.

Not quite. Other chapters have lost the ability to take them.

/Adrian

PBGhost
20-05-2005, 21:12
Can you still take Deathwatch veterans in normal squads?

t-tauri
20-05-2005, 21:21
It seems as if the Deathwatch rules are based off the first published WD version almost word for word rather than the later version which allowed all chapters to take them. Given that the non SM codex chapters don't actually have a codex of their own yet it's a bit of a pain. Alien Hunters can take a Kill Team however. :wtf:

The only change I spotted on the first read through was that the option to upgrade the captain to Librarian allows any of the new Librarian powers to be purchased.

de Selby
21-05-2005, 10:26
Alien Hunters can take a Kill Team however. :wtf:

Genius. So in 3 or 4 years when the codex comes out, and the dev team has changed something/anything about the deathwatch, they'll have to publish an FAQ stating that the old Deathwatch cannot be used alongside the new Deathwatch. And until then they cannot be used with Alien Hunters because there ARE NO ALIEN HUNTERS.

:D

t-tauri
21-05-2005, 10:59
Unless, of course, Alien Hunters is coming sooner than we think. All those Inquisition pads on the new plastic sprues need to be used for something.

Karhedron
23-05-2005, 10:57
The only change I spotted on the first read through was that the option to upgrade the captain to Librarian allows any of the new Librarian powers to be purchased.
I noticed in the battle report though that the Librarian appeared to be using "Might of Heroes" and his force sword ability in the same turn.

Sikkukkut
27-05-2005, 08:18
Damn, it looks like we got most of that in Oz but without the Abnett interview. I was looking forward to that - was there anything good in it?

NetGuru
27-05-2005, 08:47
It was a fairly good issue, i liked it how to show case the Tyranids they had a huge 2,500 point battle with lots of varying troop types.
Fantasy was a bit thin, with not much intresting stuff, but you expect that some months. But WD is certainly getting much much better, in recent months....

Keravin
27-05-2005, 13:36
Is the Gaunts article any good? That and the Zombie Pirates are the only things I'm interested in and if it's not worth it then I'll pass on Dwarf this month.

Yorkiebar
27-05-2005, 17:09
Is the Gaunts article any good? That and the Zombie Pirates are the only things I'm interested in and if it's not worth it then I'll pass on Dwarf this month.It's not worth buying the magazine for, but the zombie pirates list is. I appreciate that it's a great article even though I don't play WFB.

EvC
27-05-2005, 19:26
I was a little disappointed with the zombie pirates article after all the hype- they didn't bother showing many conversions at all! What can I say I'm a visual guy.

PBGhost
28-05-2005, 09:06
Tsk, tsk. The Guard player armed his Veterans with both special weapons and special ammunition, which is specifically disallowed.

de Selby
28-05-2005, 13:17
Picked up my copy yesterday (haven't finished reading) so random thoughts:

The Dan Abnett thing is more like a potted biography than anythng else, plus ome opinions from the man himself, which is fine. WD seems to be easing itself into more of this sort of thing (similar to Blanche's article on 40k artwork), which is good. Are we going to see interviews with sculptors next?

Dellapina's converted bloodletters were nice, but still not quite cool enough to persuade me to have a go myself. The bloodletters are the daemons I find most difficult to like.

Together with the 3 core games sections, the bits at the beginning and end of the mag (astronomicon) often seem to contain interesting tidbits these days.
The letters page seems to have settled in quite well. Who are the 3 women with the outsize LOTR modelling obsession (no location given)? Anyone we know?

Battle report interesting, I can't see how the inquisitor could ever have made it all across the table, frankly. So the tyranids auto-won but the whole thing turned into more of an advert for the Deathwatch (and SM librarians in general) by the end. I already have the rules, but I was still pleased to see them reprinted as it keeps them in the game and reminds everyone they still exist.

Gaunt modelling article seemed largely superfluous. We all know that multi-part models can be put together in different poses, no? They missed the opportunity to write about my technique for re-posing Gaunts in hot water ;)

Zombie pirates look a good laugh, but I wonder how many non-GW-employees will actually follow through and build a whole army. Same as the Bugman's articles really.

that's all for now.

anarchistica
28-05-2005, 14:45
Damn, it looks like we got most of that in Oz but without the Abnett interview. I was looking forward to that - was there anything good in it?
Is the Gaunts article any good?
The article was about Abnett, not specifically about Gaunt's Ghosts. It tells us kind of how he works (penning down at least 3000 words per day!) and where he gets his inspiration from.

Also, they are fething pieces of gak (:p), revealing something about a future Gaunt's Ghosts book i really didn't want to know. Feth you very much Nick Khyme. :mad:

I'm not a gak like Khyme, so i'm not gonna tell you what it was, even with this tags the temptation to read it would be unresistable.

Hlokk
31-05-2005, 09:54
Am I the only one thats noticed that the tale of 4 gamers orc army has 2 rare choices (Effigy of Gork and Ruglands Armoured Orcs) in 1500 points. Is this a mistake on their part or is it me being thick again?

Kelroth
31-05-2005, 10:12
Nope, it's been noted at DaPaff, too. As far as I can tell it's just a mistake that the WD team haven't caught onto yet.

Darius Rhiannon
31-05-2005, 12:16
Well the 2500pt IG with less models than my 1500pts army had 3 HQ's.

The inquisitor could have made it, provided his chimera was not stationary for more than one turn...

Oliver
31-05-2005, 12:52
There seems to be a quite a few mistakes in this issue or is this usual and i havent picked up on the ones before.

Well the 2500pt IG with less models than my 1500pts army had 3 HQ's.

The inquisitor could have made it, provided his chimera was not stationary for more than one turn...

As said before one word.....Rigged!

The boyz
31-05-2005, 14:01
I agree having read that battle report, I think the Inquisitor could of easily of made it.

Avian
31-05-2005, 14:23
How, exactly? Being forced to drive right in front of the Tyranid horde does nothing good for your life expectancy. How convenient for the Tyranid player that there was a great, big building right in the path of the chimera. It was almost as if someone put it there on purpose. :rolleyes:

Oliver
01-06-2005, 13:02
The inquistor could have made it if he was given a guard for his chimera or something to jsut let it go off by itself like that he deserved to die.

Inquis. Jaeger
01-06-2005, 14:59
There was no fesible way the Inquisitor was going to make it, barring the Tyranid player being overcome by the gribbly goodness and forgetting his mission objective.

tzeentchgiant
01-06-2005, 15:17
Definately a 40k orientated issue, is it just me or is there too little effort going into fantasy, not too much into 40k, I won't complain about how resources are being dealt out, I just think that the volume of quality things that are well thought out is poor compaired to fantasy.

Also once again this issue, despite the fact that all the advertising is at the back of the issue I was dissapointed. I get to the halfway point and LoTR starts, I read on, and diecover that a quarter of the magasine is still adverting and all the crappy phone numbers.

I for one am dissapointed by this revalation of thw WD team that there was too much advertising only to find they just move it.

Anybody else share this veiw?

TG

Jedi152
01-06-2005, 15:28
Its an ok issue, not much to read really.

But is it me, or does the LOTR section feature a photo not from any of the films? It seems to show dead Moria goblins full of arrows in a forest surrounded by elves.

de Selby
01-06-2005, 15:35
More like exhaustive stockist information than adverts, isn't it? Still seems a bit excessive to me, but there is some good stuff buried in the Astronomican pages, as I said before. The little features on store models, the web team, the letters page...

40k Battle reports: they seem to have dropped the 'new' photographic format used for the IW/Sallies report and gone back to maps with circles. Is this the standard again? I noticed that theLOTR report wasn't broken down turn by turn; to me this seemed easier to read (not that I'd want 40k to go the same way; there are lot more turns in LOTR than 40k, but I thought it was interesting).

For me, the ideal would be units represented by groups of circles (or dots; whatever is in scale with the map) and simple text labels to identify the units. I really can't be bothered to work with the symbol key, mostly.

Drakemaster
01-06-2005, 16:00
Am I the only one thats noticed that the tale of 4 gamers orc army has 2 rare choices (Effigy of Gork and Ruglands Armoured Orcs) in 1500 points. Is this a mistake on their part or is it me being thick again?

Actually, Ruglud's orcs are a special choice for Grimgor's Ardboyz. Same way the Slayer Pirates are special for the Slayer army.

EDIT: Actually, I'm completely wrong. Oops. Slayer pirates are still Special for the slayer army though...

Hlokk
01-06-2005, 20:01
The other thing that struck me is that the whole 40k battle report seemed to showboat the death watch. Even down to the deathwatch kill tally box. I honestly think it was designed to say "look, the nids are hard, but you all know alien hunters are coming out, look how hard these are as well" to try and build up the hype. I'd expect, given the article and their inclusion, for the alien hunter codex to be out within a year.

Inquis. Jaeger
01-06-2005, 20:12
Its an ok issue, not much to read really.

But is it me, or does the LOTR section feature a photo not from any of the films? It seems to show dead Moria goblins full of arrows in a forest surrounded by elves.

Yeah that photo's been floating around since The Fellowship film. Similar to the one on the front of the Fellowship Game box, of the Moria Goblins side on. It's taken from a scene that didn't make it into the movie of the Goblins chasing the (reduced) Fellowship out of Moria and all the way to Lothlorien, where they're saved by the Wood Elf archers in the trees.

Hence the scenario in the LOTR: Fellowship Rulebook of the same situation - get the Fellowship to the Lothlorien treeline where Haldir and his archers are waiting, without being killed by Goblins.

de Selby
02-06-2005, 13:06
The other thing that struck me is that the whole 40k battle report seemed to showboat the death watch. Even down to the deathwatch kill tally box. I honestly think it was designed to say "look, the nids are hard, but you all know alien hunters are coming out, look how hard these are as well" to try and build up the hype. I'd expect, given the article and their inclusion, for the alien hunter codex to be out within a year.

I don't think there's any conspiracy at work here. I know they sometimes replay battles to get a 'better' report out of them, or play practice battles, but I doubt they go to the trouble of orchestrating the game to show off one unit from an unreleased codex. I think the Deathwatch were put into the issue because they're natural nid adversaries, and they did really well for themselves because the nid player never made a serious effort to kill them until it was too late and he couldn't concentrate his forces properly. He concentrated too much on obliterating the Inquisitor, as was said in the report.

A previous issue include an Orcs vs. Dwarves report where Gork got a Man of the Match box after killing a smilar points value of Dwarves via Foot of Gork. Sometimes the kill count s notable enough to deserve special mention.

Charax
02-06-2005, 17:00
Anyone else notice that the article on page 18 skips two pages before resuming on page 21?

Abnett article was a waste of space for me, I dont want to read the opinions of anyone who rapes the background as badly as he does.

Zombie pirates rule! I dont play WFB but these guys are just funky - unfortunately, the fact that they're a campaign list with a compulsary Lord means they're not worth the investment.

Deathwatch: well, I've always liked the rules for these guys (upgrade a whole army to DW, give them Kraken shells and beat the Tau at their own game) and this was just a welcome revisit.

IA: Tyrannic War Vets: Nice article, did a good job of explaining how a Codex chapter got such a specific unit - they added it to the codex (which, btw, means Non-UM TWVs should be possible)

LotR: Not really my thing.

Kelroth
02-06-2005, 17:24
A previous issue include an Orcs vs. Dwarves report where Gork got a Man of the Match box after killing a smilar points value of Dwarves via Foot of Gork. Sometimes the kill count s notable enough to deserve special mention.

At one point it was, as far as I can tell, a regular feature. Perhaps it was just coincidence that three issues in a row, a single unit/model kicked ass through the whole battle, but:

WD251 UK : a Fanatic got the MoTM award for taking out, among other things, a Griffon and, I believe, a Giant

WD252 UK : A Bloodthirster took down two Dreadnoughts and a bunch of others.

WD 253 UK : Which I believe was the Dwarven release issue/battle report, which as you mentioned above, had Gork raining hairy green death on the Dwarves. It was Dwarves vs. pure Goblins, on thate note.

Nurglitch_PS
06-06-2005, 10:03
Abnett article was a waste of space for me, I dont want to read the opinions of anyone who rapes the background as badly as he does.

Abnett article was a great use of space. I do want to read a lot of opinions of one of very few guys who make the background at least a bit believable.

Yorkiebar
06-06-2005, 10:58
The letters page at the back - 'Fuel for the Furnace' has been around for the last few issues and for me is always a great read. It shows some 'real' gamers and the kind of things we get on Portent. Maybe I should send in a letter asking how the WD team feel about constant price hikes. Then again, they'd probably not be allowed to publish it, and certainly not to give their real opinions.