PDA

View Full Version : Treekin in WD 306

Brandir
20-05-2005, 14:20
WD 306 (UK) has a sneak peak and a few quotes from Mat Ward about the Treekin.

Apparently they have high Toughness, a Ward and Armour save. They are tree spirits that inhabit dead branches.

So, if you kill 'em by woods, can the spirits occupy nearby deasd branches????

Galonthar
20-05-2005, 14:53
well... it sounds reasonable,...

but wouldn`t that make them a bit too overpowerd?

you said something about high toughness,... how high sould I think?...
is it 5, 6 (like the old ones had if I`m not mistaken) or higher?

Zeb
20-05-2005, 15:00
Dryads T4, Treekin T5 (?), Treeman T6 now, and will probably not change...

Sgt John Keel
20-05-2005, 19:40
I like this stuff about the Dryads, Tree Kin and the Treemen are actual trees possessed by daemons, but I have the feeling the Everqueen won't like it.

/Adrian

Heph
20-05-2005, 20:04
I'd put up a pic for ye, but the scan I took is too large to be uploaded anywhere.

Sgt John Keel
20-05-2005, 20:09
I'd put up a pic for ye, but the scan I took is too large to be uploaded anywhere.

I think it doesn't matter. The metal pics look much better than the painted do anyway. What's up with the 'Eavy Metal team nowadays? :rolleyes:

/Adrian

Brandir
20-05-2005, 21:49

I'm not sure we should be putting scans from copyrighted material here on Portent.

tzeentchgiant
20-05-2005, 22:03
I'm not sure we should be putting scans from copyrighted material here on Portent.

You're right, can't scan WD or pst anthing copyrighted that isn't on another site.

Also I don't think they are possesed by daemons, spirits aren't really daemons, as daemons occur when people believe in them spirits are former beings.

At least I think that's the way it works, pretty fine line

TG

Neknoh
21-05-2005, 10:16
Well...

Since any form of Gods and Spirits... or anything magical, originates from Chaos, I think you could call them Daemons.

And as far as I've heard, there WILL be a Dark Heart of the Woods in the fluff for the new WE, to which Orion and Arielle have sold their souls and now is trying to keep it from hurting people

NetGuru
21-05-2005, 14:32
Its probabily a good thing there isn't pictures being put up here, they are hardly well painted in WD anyways. (infact i had a tough time trying to make them out.)

But saying that, pictures were put up of the mage last month from WD and no one complained...

Baggers
21-05-2005, 21:24
The picture is of a poor quallity and does not show the model very well, or the paint job. But it should be intresting to see the models when they are released.

Sgt John Keel
21-05-2005, 22:10
Also I don't think they are possesed by daemons, spirits aren't really daemons, as daemons occur when people believe in them spirits are former beings.
]

How is it supposed to possess something if it is a material being?

I stand by my word, but remember that daemons must neccessarily not have anything to do with the big four. Anything in the warp is a daemon by default, whether it's good or evil. Also, the souls of the dead go to the warp. That's why the HE bury the dead at the monoliths which guide the magic into the vortex, to keep the dead to the earth and save them from being eaten by Slaanesh.

/Adrian

Neknoh
21-05-2005, 22:39
How is it supposed to possess something if it is a material being?

I stand by my word, but remember that daemons must neccessarily not have anything to do with the big four. Anyhting in the warp is a daemon by default, whether it's good or evil. Also, the souls of the dead go to the warp. That's why the HE dury the dead at the monoliths which guide the magic into the vortex, to keep the dead to the earth and save them from being eaten by Slaanesh.

/Adrian

Yet another thing equal to the 40k universe.

Eldar does the same, they use a sort of Soul Stone or something to bind the souls of their dead to the world, so that they do not get eaten by Slaanesh.

And, I agree with you Adrian, everything that is magical is a product of Chaos

Inquisitor DreaxIV
22-05-2005, 01:31
After seeing the dryads i got more excited about the upcoming release about the WE but the idea of the spirits being related to chaos and more specifically daemons, just doesnt appeal to me :(
WE are in a constant fight with beastmen so why would the dryads or treekin being daemonic? It doesnt seem right

Darwin_green
22-05-2005, 01:55
they could just be angry spirits.

Because happy spirits would just look goofy.

tzeentchgiant
22-05-2005, 10:35
My point was really that the intent of daemons is different from that of spirits.

Evil vs. Possibly evil

Oh well, if we're going to get down to symantics let me fetch my "I'm a jackass" hat.

TG

Misfratz
22-05-2005, 18:06
The picture is of a poor quallity and does not show the model very well, or the paint job. But it should be intresting to see the models when they are released.Yes. Of the WE models we've seen so far this is the only one that I don't like, others [particularly the Dryads] have been of a consistently much higher standard. I'm hoping that it's just because it's one poor picture that I don't like the mini so I am reserving judgement on it.
With a high toughness and 'bark armour' save... Looking like a good target for Queen Bess... ;)

Sgt John Keel
22-05-2005, 18:55
After seeing the dryads i got more excited about the upcoming release about the WE but the idea of the spirits being related to chaos and more specifically daemons, just doesnt appeal to me :(
WE are in a constant fight with beastmen so why would the dryads or treekin being daemonic? It doesnt seem right

Everything is related to chaos. Chaos is the aethyr in it's entirety, not just Nurgle, Slaanesh, Khorne and Tzeench. Chaos is neutral, just as the world itself is neutral.

/Adrian

Darius Rhiannon
23-05-2005, 02:54
But because the four powers of Chaos are evil, Chaos itself is seen as evil.

So it goes.

m1s1n
23-05-2005, 04:00
Chaos is neutral, just as the world itself is neutral.

Which totally fits with Dryads being neutral. As you said--the world is neutral. Naturally the concept of a worldly-spirit would reflect this neutral attitude. I think people's hang-up over the "daemon" title is that it relates to maliciousness, which is something they do not affiliate to Dryads. I think you are right--the Dryads are neutral, and the "evil" nature of Chaos is somewhat arbitrary to the overall world of Warhammer.

Brandir
23-05-2005, 07:55
All this discussion about tree spirits and whether they are linked to Chaos has certainly whetted my appetite for the new Wood Elf book. I can't believe it, wanting a new Army Book for the fluff! Perhaps a sign that GW's fluff for Warhammer is getting better?

Anyway, a new Warhammer novel will be published at the same time as the Wood Elf army book. By Graham McNeil (I think) it will be the first Wood Elf based BL novel. Hopefully it will further expand/explain the new fluff.

Galonthar
23-05-2005, 08:52
Anyway, a new Warhammer novel will be published at the same time as the Wood Elf army book. By Graham McNeil (I think) it will be the first Wood Elf based BL novel. Hopefully it will further expand/explain the new fluff.

:D :D a WE novel?? :D :D

I wonder what its about,.... because the WE are quite a...well... neutral race,
and many don`t even believe their existence

Brandir
23-05-2005, 08:59
According to the Back Library press release 21 Jan 05:

We all like a good fantasy tale over Christmas, and I had the privilege of reading Graham McNeill's latest book - Guardians of the Forest. It's a classic fantasy tale, set in Athel Loren, forest home of the wood elves. I'm sure all Warhammer fans will enjoy the new insight into the lives of this noble yet otherworldly folk as much as I did. Guardians of the Forest won't be out until much later in the year, so more details in a few months' time!

Galonthar
23-05-2005, 09:07
:chrome:

as long as there are a lot of dying knights / humies in it

(sry for the bret. & empire players here, but I just hate knights, and 1+ saves)

Rövhalt
23-05-2005, 14:10
With KB in shortrange, not many knights should survive... go waywatchers!

dil
26-05-2005, 12:27
:D :D a WE novel?? :D :D

I wonder what its about,.... because the WE are quite a...well... neutral race,
and many don`t even believe their existence

SAme with Skaven... and they appear in quite alot of book ... and have added well to the "background" / fluff for Skaven

cardbard_alex
26-05-2005, 16:37
IIRC its about a brettonian knight who wanders into Athel Loren (foolish human) to find out whats going on after his family dies.

I think it's vaguely along those lines, which will mean it won't be from a wood elfs perspective, which is a shame.

Cheers, Alex.

Brandir
26-05-2005, 16:49
It will be published 5 Sep 05:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844162354/qid=1117126119/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-2236553-3329241

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1844162354.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Galonthar
27-05-2005, 07:54
"The Dark Forest of Athel Loren, home of the Wood Elves, is a place of mystery and danger, a place no mortal man dares enter. Leofric, a noble knight of Bretonnia, has been raised since birth to shun and fear the forest and its enigmatic denizens. But a beastman plot to corrupt the sacred places of Athel Loren throws Leofric into an uneasy alliance with the wood elf Kyarno as they battle the invasion. If the Beastmen succeed, not only will the elves and their forest home be wiped off the face of the earth, but the destructive spirits of the forest will be unleashed to lay waste to all Bretonnia."

I just loove the pic on front of the book,... the elf with the sword is awesome

hmmm..... a HUMAN (yuck!) who makes an allaince with the WE,.... :wtf:

light!,.. I just must read this thing,.... :chrome:

Tancred II von Quenelles
27-05-2005, 08:03
Treekin is T^ WS4 - I we seen it in the book.

Odin
27-05-2005, 10:26
T^? Is that T6? If so - that's flipping mental! I was expeting T4 or 5. Treeman I was expecting to be T6.

I can't believe so many people have seen the book. I am green with envy and camoflage.

thanquol
27-05-2005, 13:26
well... it sounds reasonable,...

but wouldn`t that make them a bit too overpowerd?

you said something about high toughness,... how high sould I think?...
is it 5, 6 (like the old ones had if I`m not mistaken) or higher?
Ur right. When they can 'revive', the Treekin would really be overpowered! The Woodies are already becoming 2 strong!