PDA

View Full Version : parasite of montex

madden
18-01-2010, 20:26
Whats everyones opinion on the rules for this creature, i feel it has great potential as a back feild threat sure rippers are not great but they can't be ignoredfor to long as the tieing up of support troops, devestators etc and counter assult units could prove a big boon to the hive mind. Opinions please.

LonelyPath
18-01-2010, 21:30
It being able to react rippers is very useful, they are a nuisance for alot of units and they're great for tying up enemies you don't want shooting at you. I think I'll have a much better opinion of it after I try using it though, likely through a proxy or whatever until I decide whether or not to build one.

catbarf
18-01-2010, 21:42
Against GEQS, the Parasite will be dropping an average of 3 bases of Rippers per turn once it gets in melee. I can see it being very powerful against swarm armies, as a self-replenishing tarpit that can out-tarpit the enemy tarpits.

Dreachon
18-01-2010, 21:52
Against orks, IG or Eldar I would take it, the look on my opponents face when his valued men die and spawn rippers by the dozens.

Meriwether
18-01-2010, 22:15
I think that the parasite will shine as the leader (and thus forward-field hive-mind generator) for a large unit of gargoyles (with both poison and FC, of course, so they're wounding T<=4 units on a 4+ with a reroll on the charge). The added punch and the ripper-spawning is just a bonus...

...a bonus that can do anything from tie up devastator squads to actually hurt IG or fire warriors...

Edit: Especially against armies with large numbers of shooty troops, the fact that it is an IC -- and thus can split off to attack a separate unit, thereby spawning more units that can attack more units -- will make it particularly useful. I think that the parasite will be underused on the tournament scene even though it can be very powerful.

the_picto
18-01-2010, 22:54
Does no body find it slightly mental that this this can potentialy spawn 30 ripper bases in one turn? 30! Yes, I know the chances of that are minute, 1 in 7776 before you factor in toughness tests and actually causing the wounds. But still.

I like it though. Mostly because it's a flying HQ that isn't crazy expensive and can lead a squad of winged warriors.

Meriwether
18-01-2010, 23:13
the_picto: Nope. I find it pretty cool that it can sometimes just go bonkers with ripper swarms... And besides, the controlling tyranid player would have to *have* 30 ripper bases...

Veloxnex
19-01-2010, 00:23
Been playing long enough to have...quick count....18 bases that have never seen the table and more come come once i get a battle force i won in a tournie

Zanzibarthefirst
19-01-2010, 00:29
you coudl get more depending on whether or not a load of units outflank. I'm certainly taking this nlittle critter though I might have to invest in a few more ripper swarms first

airmang
19-01-2010, 01:07
Yeah, i'm waiting to see someone take Al'raheim against it...

chaos0xomega
19-01-2010, 01:25
I'm definitely taking one, he's going to be flying with one of my shrike units for protection.

Vepr
19-01-2010, 01:33
I plan to run one with my Gargs. Might end up being sort of a suicide unit but should cause some havoc behind the lines.

Hoodwink
19-01-2010, 02:43
I'm running my Parasite with a group of 20 gargoyles using toxin sacs. They are cheaper than hormagaunts and can move farther and shoot :P Not as many attacks in CC but they get their venom rule. Mixed with sacs, they can be a very nice, very cheap unit.

I already have 18 FW ripper bases, looking to probably get more with this guy.

With implant attack and rending claws, 6's are this guy's best friend.

Bolter Bait
19-01-2010, 03:05
It is much cheaper than a Tyrant with wings, especially since the Tyrant is likely to have other overpriced upgrades as well. It should fill a nice niche in mid-point range games, as azimath has pointed out before.

As an Independent Character, it can be attached to Shrikes, Gargoyles or even flying Rippers for ablative wounds. Shrikes are expensive and will attract a lot of fire, but the toughness will remain the same. Sky-slashers are T3 but less than half a Shrike, so you could potentially take a lot of them, same with Gargoyles, really. I was initially dubious of it's mediocre toughness, considering that it's going to be out front with no cover, but being able to hide inside a brood will help immensely.

Plus, it's call the Parasite. Come on. Rule of Cool demands that I must field it.

Lord Cook
19-01-2010, 05:26
I'm certainly tempted, but all the free Ripper bases may completely screw you over in Kill point games. Creating them isn't optional.

The Custodian
19-01-2010, 05:29
Alrahem outflanking with a fo=ull platoon... OH the hilarity :D ...

Adyger
19-01-2010, 12:34
What I want to know is what are people going to use to model him? I was originally thinking of a warrior body, but I already have a squad of Shrikes and don't want him looking too much like them. I was thinking of maybe using a venomthrope instead, since I'm not planning on using them in my army, and the venom sacs on him kind of look like they could be ripper "egg sacks". I could be a floater flyer instead of a winged one then, but I'm not really sure if I totally like that idea either (I know the end piece of the Trygon tail looks like a great injector).

Max1mum
19-01-2010, 13:38
what about a conversion with the new Plastic Fel Beast ? ;-) :P

Nuage
19-01-2010, 13:53
Maybe with a Ravener bodies, a couple of Warrior parts, and FW wings ?

I don't think it's meant to be too big...

Nuage.

WH40KAj
19-01-2010, 14:18
Its stated as warrior size. Its alright, but i'm not running gargoyles in my list so i dont know whether id use it...

crashbang
19-01-2010, 16:30
my mate thinks it's cheesy. same with the doom actually. i can sort of see his point but they are lovely additions.

Lord Cook
19-01-2010, 17:00
my mate thinks it's cheesy.

At 160 points? Your mate is mistaken. ;)

Netfreakk
19-01-2010, 20:29
I think I'm going to go with a Ravener with wings.

Killgore
19-01-2010, 21:31

But with which wings? Forgeworld?

Its gunna be a bit of a expensive conversion if you cant greenstuff sculpt.

I want one myself!!! Iv got 30 Gargoyles and they need a Synapse leader

andyg2006
19-01-2010, 21:46
I think I'll use this as a mini 'generator'-sideline to my army, along with the thing which spawns Termagants (Tervigon?).
Instead of using a Ravener as a base, I'll be using a Warrior as the basic critter instead (at least I'm then only using a 6 model for it instead of one which costs 9).
I'm going to use Gargoyle wings. If these seem a bit too small (as there's nothing to say that it can only have one wing on each side), I'll be using 4 Garg wings, 2 per side (e.g. a bit like a rl dragonfly etc): suitably different, I think + hope(?).

Zanzibarthefirst
19-01-2010, 21:57
Maybe with a Ravener bodies, a couple of Warrior parts, and FW wings ?

Thats how Im planning on doing mine, though mine will look different to the pictures since the rules state the Parasite has rending claws not scything talons though it shoudl have scything talons as well simply ebcause it amkes a bit more sense than two pairs of rending claws which add nothing to the model. Cruddace*****shakes fist******

Stickmonkey
19-01-2010, 22:00
Gargoyle sized model. Not Warrior.

That said, I plan to use a gargoyle w a ravener head and hormagaunt talons. I considered lictor talons, but they are too big for that sized model to look right.

stripsteak
19-01-2010, 22:10
I'll be amused to see spawnzilla lists, parasite with some tervigons after a couple turns your 2000pt army now has 2500pts on the table and growing. whether they will be 'competitive' i don't really care about i just like the concept.

Kelderaith
19-01-2010, 22:14
Personally I will be using my flyrants as such from time to time (which means for **** and giggles mostly). My flyrant is a 3rd edition prince with wings on the upper section (arm) and both arms and legs are scything talons, which make him look quite small and "bee-like" in a sence. I think it fits perfectly (except for the twin scything talons part instead of Rending claws) because it really looks a bit puny compared to a 4th ed tyran with wings (which I also had before I took off the wings of one... might rebuild one eventually... but with the new price of it and all, it clearly is not a priority).

Edonil
19-01-2010, 22:19
I was actually thinking using a venomthrope as a base, although the ravenor suggestion does sound good...

Zanzibarthefirst
19-01-2010, 22:19

That said, I plan to use a gargoyle w a ravener head and hormagaunt talons. I considered lictor talons, but they are too big for that sized model to look right.

I quote the codex "bat-winged creature tbe size of a tyranid warrior"

Lord Cook
19-01-2010, 22:36

It has S6, T4 and 3 wounds. A Gargoyle torso is too small.

Thoume
19-01-2010, 22:56
If I ever get round to redoing my 'nids I'll definitely be making a list around this thing. The idea of choking up the opponent's movement with mycetic spores, escalating ripper swarms / termies and that outflank special rule is just amusing...! :D

Arbedark
19-01-2010, 23:13
It has S6, T4 and 3 wounds. A Gargoyle torso is too small.

Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken disagrees with you :rolleyes:

Netfreakk
19-01-2010, 23:25
Whichever model you want to use, is your own preference. I might use a red-terror with wings as it would be undeniably different than everything else and not take a ravenor from my brood.... but I might just magnetizes one ravenor.... hmmm... so many options.

librerian_samae
19-01-2010, 23:37
Iv'e made mine out of balrog wings, carnifex spiked shoulder plates for back carapace, genestealer implnt attack head, and ive recently switched the lower body from a warrior with old MC scything talons converted to rending claw feet out for ravaner snakey tail, with some rending claws made from scything talons green stuffed to look like death leapers/malanthrope talons as small weedy secondry arms,Iv'e also added ovipositor made from warrior flesh hooks.

Its the size of a warrior but looks 'wrong' (in a good way) and out of proportion like a malevolent shadow speading terror whever it falls...

Lord Cook
20-01-2010, 00:34
Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken disagrees with you :rolleyes:

He's practically built out of bionics.

Justicar_Freezer
20-01-2010, 00:35
I rather like this guy and am looking forward to using him in apoc against my buddies Guard army. He'll make a good synapse leader for my two broods of gargoyles.

As for the model I'll be using for him. I have a unit of Old Starship troopers Hopper Bugs laying about and one of them will be stepping in as the parasite.

Arbedark
20-01-2010, 00:37
He's practically built out of bionics.

And 'Nids, being the pinnacle of evolution, can't possibly make anything to compete?

Personally I'd use a Ravenor as a base, but just pointing out that there is precedence for gargoyle sized models with that statline.

A basic Marine captain has S4, T4 and 3 wounds, it's not unconceivable for the tail mentioned in the fluff to be S6 is it?

Zanzibarthefirst
20-01-2010, 01:02
there is no precedence for the parasite to be gargoyle sized. The codex clearly states its warrior sized not gargoyle sized or carnifex size. THe fact that the statline is simlar to a ravener (albeit a ravener prime with wings) It is not a dragonfly, it is a bat.

Lord Cook
20-01-2010, 01:21
And 'Nids, being the pinnacle of evolution, can't possibly make anything to compete?

And everything they possess that does compete is the size of a Warrior or Ravener.

I'm not saying I wouldn't play against a person who used a smaller model, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense in the context of existing Tyranid creatures.

Netfreakk
20-01-2010, 01:26
I mean, who cares though, you're not going to fly him alone, so his unit is going to get shot at anyways. Who ever is planning on building him small and making him go alone, have fun trying to dodge 48" missiles all day long.

Voss
20-01-2010, 03:11
It is a bit on the pricey side, but as a winged synapse creature with some crazy special rules, it supports gargoyle swarms like nothing else. The main problem, however, is that since it is an independent character, it will get smacked down by powerfist attacks.

I like the idea of it, but... I don't think it will be very effective at anything other than keeping gargoyles doing exactly what you want.

fwacho
20-01-2010, 03:24
The idea is simple... stay away from powerfists. Prey on weaker units like grots, scouts, and tau in general. This model is fast enough he'll be able to pick his fights.

The beauty of the parasite is that it uses your opponents weaker models against him.

Meriwether
20-01-2010, 03:51
AAAGH! Really, people?

Make a conversion that makes you happy, and use it. There's no official model, so you are free to fiddle around until you are satisfied. It's your army, go with it.

If someone doesn't like it, make them eat a couple dozen ripper swarms. Then smack 'em.

Voss
20-01-2010, 05:50
The idea is simple... stay away from powerfists. Prey on weaker units like grots, scouts, and tau in general. This model is fast enough he'll be able to pick his fights.

He can probably pick the first fight (if opponents don't have something as fast or faster, which frankly even thunderhammer terminators in a land raider qualify as), but even with him leading the way, there is always the possibility of not winning, not breaking the enemy, or not getting far enough on a consolidation move.

And of course, I'd have to fine someone who fields weak units like grots, scouts or tau...

Netfreakk
20-01-2010, 05:58
I actually really like this character. I think it can be really powerful. Even against marines that's 5 attacks on the charge > 3.3 hits > 2.75 wounds > 1 might be rending > if not .907 wounds will go through unsaved > and then another 33% to see if it becomes a ripper.

Ok not that great assaulter against marines, but I like him as he's a fast "cheap" relative to the other guys and makes it easy to give synapse to your faster moving units while being protected by the mass of bodies. And the last part is his major benefit, he's able to keep up with fast moving bodies and be "only" 160 pts.

Ok he doesn't sound too good when I think about it, but better than a 230pt minimum HT with wings who can't join a unit of gargs.

azimaith
20-01-2010, 06:00

The beauty of the parasite is that it uses your opponents weaker models against him.

What if your not playing orks with grots or tau? Sounds like list tailoring to me.

You'd think GW would have learned something with Ogryns but apparently not.

Mosedeke
20-01-2010, 06:13
I think he should be a fun little unit, and provides my fully DSing army with a nice mobile synapse bubble to act as damage control if necessary.

Made him out of a Warrior torso with the tail and head hacked around so it's mostly horizontal, wings clipped off of the Chaos Space Marine Possessed backpack, and both the Warrior rending claws and Genestealer normal hands mounted on a gargoyle flying stick. Put him on a 60mm base, which is too big, but I wanted to use a Guardsman I spent some time on. Guy in the final death throes holding a grenade as a ripper bursts out of his chest.

20-01-2010, 06:18
Against GEQS, the Parasite will be dropping an average of 3 bases of Rippers per turn once it gets in melee. I can see it being very powerful against swarm armies, as a self-replenishing tarpit that can out-tarpit the enemy tarpits.
I'll be amused to see spawnzilla lists, parasite with some tervigons after a couple turns your 2000pt army now has 2500pts on the table and growing. whether they will be 'competitive' i don't really care about i just like the concept.

Yeah boys, that's what I'm talking about. Stripsteak, I like where your head is at.

Thats how Im planning on doing mine, though mine will look different to the pictures since the rules state the Parasite has rending claws not scything talons though it shoudl have scything talons as well simply ebcause it amkes a bit more sense than two pairs of rending claws which add nothing to the model. Cruddace*****shakes fist******

Plastic Ravenor, dip tail in boiling water to soften and reshape for a flying posture.

Forge World Shrike wings are a no brainer but not cheap and you have to by 3 pair. There's gotta be other proper scale wings out there from some other model range. I'm trusting some clever kit basher will show us the way.

What about Rending Claws from the Genestealer kit?

So, upper shoulder sockets get wings and the lower get Rending Claws. Amirite?

Rabid Bunny 666
20-01-2010, 08:58
Does no body find it slightly mental that this this can potentialy spawn 30 ripper bases in one turn? 30! Yes, I know the chances of that are minute, 1 in 7776 before you factor in toughness tests and actually causing the wounds. But still.

I like it though. Mostly because it's a flying HQ that isn't crazy expensive and can lead a squad of winged warriors.

Call me dense (please dont ;)) but how can it make 30 rippers in one turn?

I've got a decent idea of how to make mine. I was converting a classic Tyranid Warrior (methinks Space Crusade, its definitely not 2nd edition) into a Prime, but I was thinking of having it as the parasite. One wing hooked around a pillar of architecture, the other one unfurled. I'll try and whip up a doodle later on this week.

As for gaming, i'll be running it inside one unit of 20 gargoyles in between 2 other units of 20 gargoyles, should make sure the enemy has a fair bit to worry about early on in game.

Hypaspist
20-01-2010, 09:09
Call me dense (please dont ;)) but how can it make 30 rippers in one turn?

Every model killed by the parasite makes a toughness test (so against marines, 33% chance, against other Rippers... hilarity ensues)

Upon the failure of a toughness test d6 Ripper bases burst forth from the downed Model.
so in the high end of unlikely situations.
5 attacks = 5 wounds = 5 failed saves = 5 failed toughness tests = 5xd6 Ripper bases = potential for 30 Ripper bases.

highly unlikely of course, but amusing nonetheless ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
20-01-2010, 09:13
Aah, I misread my codex, thought it was 1 swarm per kill. That is pretty insane.

Meriwether
20-01-2010, 13:33
Coupled with gargoyles with toxin sacs, I want to see this thing take out monstrous creatures and turn them into rippers. That would be hilarious.

Treadhead_1st
20-01-2010, 18:00
This guy sounds like a lot of fun.

It's really making me want to start Tyranids, but between 2 40K armies and a Fantasy army I really don't have the time/funds.

Sounds like he'd make a great leader for a Gargoyle brood, and thus a fast-flank force (Hormagaunts). The ability to generate Rippers helps to screen other gribblies as they approach too, so even as his Gargoyles get whittled down your actual combat-elements are still relatively safe.

And it means a single unit can, in a few turns, tie up multiple enemy shooting units for no extra points expenditure.

This guy, a Tervigon or two, some Lictors, Gargoyles, couple of Carnifex, Mawloc, Trygon, Pyrovores (to follow the aforementioned) and bucket loads of Hormagaunts sounds like an awful lot of fun, even if it's not very competitive.

*trying...to resist....failing...*

Vexbane
23-01-2010, 15:48
I found this cool LOTR model that i want the wings from for my parasite. What bit stores in the U.S. would have this? Warstore?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150115a&prodId=prod1090050

chaos0xomega
24-01-2010, 00:55
Uhh... never even seen/heard of that before, but AFAIK, there are no bits stores in existence that carry LOTR bits.

Tae
24-01-2010, 01:06
I found this cool LOTR model that i want the wings from for my parasite. What bit stores in the U.S. would have this? Warstore?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150115a&prodId=prod1090050

Just in case you've not seen the model to scale, the wings are about the size that would fit a Tyrant, rather than a Warrior.

Not suggesting you don't use them, just adivising as to scale. Also LOTR bits are really hard to come by - at least in the UK, would imagine the US is similar.

fwacho
24-01-2010, 06:55
What if your not playing orks with grots or tau? Sounds like list tailoring to me.

You'd think GW would have learned something with Ogryns but apparently not.

I take pride in not tailoring my armies... Let me think a second of what else would be at risk... most ork players around here use grots to hold objectives in deployment zones.

4. Imperial guard in general (my area is flooded with these armies)
5. cultist (if you have any still clinging to old chaos dex)
6. scarab swarms (a popular screen fro necron players)
7. all eldar infantry (guardian squads hold objectives)
8. Witches amnd varios dark eldar scum
9 Tyranid guants and rippers
10.Tzneetch chariots
11. spacemarine dev & scout squads

Now that I've had some time to think about it, a parasite with gargoyles is great in an all comers list.