PDA

View Full Version : A change of pace, whats a good infantry army?

tezdal
03-02-2010, 07:21
Ive been thinking about starting a new army, infantry heavy, as a change of pace from my Bret's (slowly and steadily painting up my grail knights). Anyway what armies make good infantry armies? Im thinking like WOC, Dwarves, etc? Dont really want a shooty army just core blocks of troops whooping up on their enemies.

Tyranno1
03-02-2010, 07:25
You hit the nail on the head with WoC. But Dark Elves and High elves have some mean infantry too.

Empire can do just about everything, including infantry. Vampires can do infantry well, as it just gets right back up again.

Hell, even beastmen boast quite a few infantry choices now.

tezdal
03-02-2010, 07:29
High Elves are also a definate maybe, big blocks of phalanx spearmen, but do their infantry really have the killing power? Not really into Empire any more, I started WFB in 5th with them and burned out back then. Anyway, WOC, HE's and Dwarves are what im thinking now, how do all or mostly infantry armies do among those 3?

ChaosVC
03-02-2010, 07:34
Beast man, orcs have numbers and cheap infantry blocks

Dark and high elves, dwarves and empire are shooty armies with infantry blocks

Warrior of chaos only if you decide not to take knights and little characters, you should have a healthy number of mauraders infantry blocks, problem is that you will not be efficient.

One-S
03-02-2010, 07:46
Skaven?
All infantry, no cav.
And with the new rules a non shooting set-up is the way to go.
Monks with furnace, pleague censers, slaves, giant rats,... combined with Hell pitt A-bomb,... = hard hitting, infatry based army.

Or dwarfs with anvil.
Ever seen dwarfs in the other players deployment zone by turn 2?
I see it all the time.
March + anvil = 12 inch advance. Rune of challenging, let something charge you, win, pursue another 7 inch (average). 2nd turn enter enemy deployment zone and anvil the unit into whatever is there.
Who needs march blocking and artillery, let them try to stop your dwarfs advance ;)

Vermin-thing
03-02-2010, 08:28
If you want to look past the models, both HE, and DE have really solid core. I'd lean towards HE because of the number of attacks, and the fact that they have sea guard. Note that for 7 points you get a T3 chaos warrior with a spear for DE. :(

If the models weren't so bad I'd use 15 phoenix guard, 60 spearmen (4 units of 15) 2 units of 15 seaguard, 3 units of 10 archers, a mage (scroll, level 1), a noble (great weapon, dragon armor, wardsave), and a BSB (great weapon, dragon armor) at around 1500 points.

Witchblade
03-02-2010, 08:28
HE, VC, WoC, DE and to a smaller extent DoC infantry armies are usually supplemented by heavy magic and/or medium to heavy shooting.

Lord Khabal
03-02-2010, 08:31
skaven are the most versatile infantry army around. Can have a good movement, combat, shooting and magic phase.

The Red Scourge
03-02-2010, 08:53
Skaven, empire, wood elves, VC - and of course DoC.

snurl
03-02-2010, 08:59
Dwarves can be a great all infantry army. Just don't take the shooty stuff in your list. But you really have to pay attention to how you are moving to pull off a win.

Demonborger
03-02-2010, 09:09
vampire counts

tezdal
03-02-2010, 09:12
If you want to look past the models, both HE, and DE have really solid core. I'd lean towards HE because of the number of attacks, and the fact that they have sea guard. Note that for 7 points you get a T3 chaos warrior with a spear for DE. :(

If the models weren't so bad I'd use 15 phoenix guard, 60 spearmen (4 units of 15) 2 units of 15 seaguard, 3 units of 10 archers, a mage (scroll, level 1), a noble (great weapon, dragon armor, wardsave), and a BSB (great weapon, dragon armor) at around 1500 points.

Yea, I can't stand the Elven models, (executioners and cold one knights not withstanding), plus got a WOTR High elven army in the works, so would be kind of redundant. Anyway, I like the Skaven stormvermin but then clanrat's not so much, honestly have not really thought about skaven much lately, but its an idea.

Vermin-thing
03-02-2010, 09:33
Yea, I can't stand the Elven models, (executioners and cold one knights not withstanding), plus got a WOTR High elven army in the works, so would be kind of redundant. Anyway, I like the Skaven stormvermin but then clanrat's not so much, honestly have not really thought about skaven much lately, but its an idea.

Yeah I'm picking up what your putting down. Although Stormvermin are not quite as good as Clanrats, and clanrats generally form the BULK of the army, so if you want to take 2 units of Stormvermin, and the rest slaves, that's totally viable. 120 slaves + slings= murder for any and all monsters.

Condottiere
03-02-2010, 09:41
Infantry armies have many variants, do you want a more flowing style, than you do want a high movement and primarily skirmishing units. Maybe even Ogres.

If you want solid blocks and don't care about speed, it would have to be Dwarves, nifty formations would be Empire, and unexpected happenings would be Orcs.

dangermouse425
03-02-2010, 09:48
High Elves or Orcs.

Depends if you want "less numbers, more elite" glittering host of elven steel.

or

"fraggin' loadz of boyz and gobbos in a green tide of waaagh"

Either way, both have some very good infantry choices and are characterful armies.

W0lf 1990
03-02-2010, 10:22
vampires.

Best infantry army in the game

Demrog
03-02-2010, 10:52
Dwarfs have a good number of infantry blocks, and even their shooty blocks can double up as quite effective combat blocks if you want them to.

Warriors, Longbeards, Hammerers, Ironbreakers, even slayers if you want to be fluffy.

T4, heavy armour (Gromril in the case of the IB), Ld9 implacable troops... Thunderers and Quarrellers are T4, LA and Sh (for an extra point) so in combat are still on a 4+ save with hw/shield bonus.

danny-d-b
03-02-2010, 13:31
Dwarfs, empire, skaven and beast all come to mind, all have good infantry other talents

Dwarfs are great heavy infantry, with good fire support
Empire are lighter infantry but have the detachment system and good fire support system
skaven have some rearly wakky things to help with there light infantry, plus they have a slightly higher movement rate than other infantry so more likely to charge- and you can buy weapon teams which help, as well as screeming bells and plauge furnaces which are rearly nasty

N810
03-02-2010, 14:52
Lizardmen :D

Not much can stand up to a unit of out core Saurus wariors with spears.
they get 2 st4 attacks each and since they have spears the first and second rows attack...

so a unit that is 2 deep and 6 wide will genereate 24 st4 attacks :eek:

Mulrak
03-02-2010, 14:59
so a unit that is 2 deep and 6 wide will genereate 24 st4 attacks

Thats alot of hittyness!

Orcboy_Phil
03-02-2010, 15:06
Saurus blocks really work. Heck I've had 3 Sarus (the command group) win a battle agasint a dwarf gunline after the rest of the unit died to gunfire. They really are the best infantry in the game.

Skyros
03-02-2010, 15:47
Core blocks of troops are uniformly bad, unless they are ItP undead troops.

Stay far far away from Dwarves. Their infantry suck. Slow slow slow and don't have any infantry nearly as good at killing as WoC, HE, or DE. Empire infantry are like dwarven infantry only with less leadership, even less killy, and with less armor. O&G infantry is like empire infantry except they might decide to squabble and disobey you. Stay away from all of these. You will be constantly outmaneuvered and outfought by your enemies.

If you want blocks of infantry that can destroy people, I'd say take Dark Elves. Go with Black Guard and make them ASF. They are an utter wrecking ball.

WoC have powerful infantry as well, but Dark Elves have a flexible army that can compete in all phases of the game. The current DE army is simply much more well rounded and powerful than a WoC army which tends to be rather one dimensional.

Lizardman infantry is probably the most resilient infantry in the game, thanks to coldblooded.

Skaven are another 'infantry heavy' force with tons of cool options on the side. The skaven infantry isn't very killy, (aside from censer bearers) but they move fast and you can get a lot of them and pin enemy forces while your killing units move in. I have to give the skaven a big recommendation.

sulla
03-02-2010, 18:51
I'd say DE, HE or... Daemons. An all daemon infantry army is not the powerhouse that most daemon lists are. It's a lot more beatable. Any of those would make a good infantry based or all infantry army.

VC are currently the best infantry-heavy army in the game but these 3 can all compete vs them.

Malorian
03-02-2010, 18:54
When I think best infantry I think of empire due to their detachments rule, however if you want to have a killy infantry then I'd go with WoC or LM.

Maoriboy007
03-02-2010, 18:56
I'd say DE, HE or... Daemons. An all daemon infantry army is not the powerhouse that most daemon lists are. It's a lot more beatable. Any of those would make a good infantry based or all infantry army.

VC are currently the best infantry-heavy army in the game but these 3 can all compete vs them.

Agreed on all points. Saurus warriors are probably in the top 3 infantry units in the game , just being edged out by cost (although you get what you pay for) and decent affordable support.

duffybear1988
03-02-2010, 20:19
vampires are probably the most potent all infantry army you could get. I wouldnt even consider WoC - they have very little ranged abilities and will get blown to bits or flanked.

Dwarf armies are very slow and too expensive for what they are capable of doing.

Empire are versatile, but you need a seam tank or lots of flagellants to be worthwhile.

Orcs and goblins are far to weak to put up much of a fight unless you use Grimgor, and even then black orcs are weak in comparison to other armies elite choices.

HE, DE and WE all have some nice varied units.

tezdal
03-02-2010, 21:16
I think I am going to start WOC, I like the models and Chaos Warriors seem pretty slap choppy. Im aware that footslooger WOC seem less powerful than cavalry WOC list, but seems like an obstacle to overcome not a reason not to play.

Lordsaradain
03-02-2010, 22:27
Warriors of chaos.

Have a few blocks of warriors and bring some cheap warhound screens.
Special; chosen, forsaken or ogres
Rare; Spawn or Warshrine

Will be a small very elite and cool looking force.

tezdal
03-02-2010, 23:30
Warriors of chaos.

Have a few blocks of warriors and bring some cheap warhound screens.
Special; chosen, forsaken or ogres
Rare; Spawn or Warshrine

Will be a small very elite and cool looking force.

Yea that's what I was thinking, throw in a couple of chaos trolls (I like their look for some reason) and throw down with a shieldwall of huge armoured evil guys.

Cartoon
04-02-2010, 06:30
If you're going to go WOC infantry, the mark of Slaanesh is your best friend. I run a mixed infantry/cal list and your units will take a pounding as they slowly march across the field. Personally, I love my chosen as they always seem to pull through for me, especially with the +1 Strength roll on the EotG. It's like having a halberd but you still get to use a shield. Aside from the wardsave, it's my most preferred option on the table (for chosen anyway).

I would also recommend investing in either foot marauders of Slaanesh or doggies for a meat shield. This is where MoS really earns its keep. Personally, I think it has a greater effect than MoNurgle, even though it won't save individual little mans, it will save a whole unit of them from running off the board.

I would still consider a chariot or two, possibly with a character in them to add to the menacing feel of the army as well. I have loads of fun with my chariots, even if they do get shot up now and again. There's not a whole lot out there that's comfortable taking on chosen and a chariot in the flank at the same time. Good luck!

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-02-2010, 06:53
A good infantry army? In Warhammer? That's an oxymoron isn't it? :p

You need a couple of things to do it. First you need to be able to ignore or greatly limit the effect of psychology tests and preferably combat results. Then you need either enough speed or enough range threat (be it magic or shooting) to force the enemy to come close and actually engage you. Third you need infantry that are either hitty enough to win combat bases on just straight up fighting and/or you need something to reliably stop your units from being flanked and annihilated.

That's the basis of a good infantry army in Warhammer.

tezdal
10-02-2010, 02:25
Well been painting up some old HE spearmen from 5th edition, and got me thinking again........High Elves seem pretty good for infantry army, coneheads not withstanding. So how would a spear heavy with elite infantry (sword masters etc) fare? I know High Elves can be tough nuts when they run dragons and the dragon knights cavalry, but what about pure infantry?

Verdande
10-02-2010, 04:03
Core blocks of troops are uniformly bad, unless they are ItP undead troops.

*cut*

You will be constantly outmaneuvered and outfought by your enemies.

Neither of those are uniformly true, and you do the discussion a disservice when you overgeneralize.

That said, on to my opinion.

I like infantry as much as the next guy, but they really need support. Assuming you're talking an infantry heavy army instead of an infantry only army, I'd like to recommend the Dwarfs. As they have only war machines and infantry, it's hard not to have an infantry heavy army with them. They can be pretty effective, too, although not nearly as cheesy as some *cough* other lists out there.

I don't know much about skaven, but I understand they're in much the same boat as the dwarves, as far as army composition.

Condottiere
10-02-2010, 06:34
Well been painting up some old HE spearmen from 5th edition, and got me thinking again........High Elves seem pretty good for infantry army, coneheads not withstanding. So how would a spear heavy with elite infantry (sword masters etc) fare? I know High Elves can be tough nuts when they run dragons and the dragon knights cavalry, but what about pure infantry?If High Elves get to pick their fights, and in the case of spearmen, with anything of lesser point value, they usually win.