PDA

View Full Version : Who else thinks 2012 will be a BIG year for 40K?

40k The movie!
03-02-2010, 07:42
I clearly have too much time in which to exercise my fevered imagination, and when it's not used to conjure up themed Space Marine armies (that never get built), rampant and unchecked wishlisting fills the gaps!

Lately, I have been possessed by the notion that 2012 will usher in a new era of our favourite hobby. I submit as evidence the following:

> Assuming the 4-year cycle we seem to have taken for granted, 6th ed.
will be released sometime between June and September that year.

> The original 40K (i.e. Rogue Trader) will be 25 years old in 2012 - a
great excuse for a party in nothing else!

> The first of the Hobbit movies will be released in 2011, and if GW have
secured the license again (don't even know that they plan to, though?)
AND invest the proceeds carefully, there ought to be a huge injection of
cash for the company's other projects.

That's it really! I'm still pretty excited at the possibilities however, and thought I'd also share some of my wackiest fantasies for this New Age of Battle, and I invite you to so the same! Cheers!

RULES:

What if...

>...6th ed. is a completely new game, borrowing/adapting the best elements
other games companies? Perhaps Starship Troopers' IGOUGO turn system?
WARMACHINE/HORDES use of offically produced tokens to track damage?
FoW method of measuring distances (i.e. that it's never a secret). What
would you like to see?

>...Individual army books are done away with, replaced by stat cards that
come with each box of models for instant play-ability; they could be called
"datafax" cards for added nostalgia value! Current codicies would still be
sold (at a areduced price) for their background and art.

MODELS:

What if...

>...GW made EVERYTHING plastic, with the exception of a few character
models.

>...they introduced "battle-boxes", which contain the elements of TWO
opposing forces, each in snap-fit plastic IN DIFFERENT COLOURS. These
boxes would also contain some Quickstart rules.

MOVIE:

Well, a guy can dream, can't he...

Anyway, now it's YOUR turn! What would you like to see? Anything at all, from a new army, to new rules, distribution methods to favourite actors :shifty: Please be nice!

Cheers

Xelloss
03-02-2010, 08:12

Having choice in the starting armies selection would be nice, and would decrease the number of SM players (as SM are always in the starting box *sigh*). But that's highly improbable, since it would means more sprue sculpting and more molding machines immobilized for this, without a great potential for an increased amount of sales. Improbable as pig flying.

The Marshel
03-02-2010, 08:12
>...6th ed. is a completely new game, borrowing/adapting the best elements other games companies? Perhaps Starship Troopers' IGOUGO turn system? WARMACHINE/HORDES use of offically produced tokens to track damage?FoW method of measuring distances (i.e. that it's never a secret). What
would you like to see?

Why exactly would you want 40k to be come a completely new game? I can understand people being annoyed with certain elements of the rule set, but f you're wanting a complete overhaul why are you still playing?

regardless, gw can't just copy rules from other games, and even if they could i doubt they would. also, they do have tokens to track things like movement, damage etc, but its optional and frankly, more annoying than helpful.

I just want to see some rule clean ups. Kp replaced by victory points, better rules for defensive weapons on tanks etc.

Individual army books are done away with, replaced by stat cards that
come with each box of models for instant play-ability; they could be called
"datafax" cards for added nostalgia value! Current codicies would still be
sold (at a areduced price) for their background and art.

no, just no. this is a stupid system for both gw and the gamer. gw loses profit from the book sales and the gamer has to deal with organizing a bunch of generally worthless cards. Plus, by selling the rules combined with the models, gw would probably end up pushing the cost up to make up for lost book sales, so every second copy of a unit you buy cost an unnecessary amount more, and then there are those who do not game at all and buy purely for hobby reasons. they get nothing out of such a system. Not to mention that the codex is the best source of new, updated and solid cannon background. if all you wanna do is play the game thats fine, but you'll find a vast majority of the gaming community cares very much for those additional pages in the codex. if you want an example, gw tried releasing smaller streamlined cheaper codexes, the idea being to remove most art and fluff to make the product cheaper and more portable fr the player. people complained, and now we've gone away from $33 au minidexes to the $42 - $50 au beefed out dexes.

the current system works fine, i see no real reason to change it just becasue its the 25th anniversary/6th ed

GW made EVERYTHING plastic, with the exception of a few character
models.

they are, but this is a long, time consuming and expensive process, so don't hold your breath. frankly though, some miniatures will always be metal because you need to sell in bulk to justify plastic, and not everything sells well enough. gw wont do something that loses them money just so its slightly more convenient for the customer, and as such, i'd highly doubt they will be able to complete their all plastic promise by 2050, if at all, and ya know, i don't hold that against them, its one hell of a task.

...they introduced "battle-boxes", which contain the elements of TWO

what do you mean in different colors? like the space hulk set? that would be a massive waste of time and resources for such a concept. its completely unnecessary, and as you're just gonna paint over it, the redundancy is only further highlighted. Its an interesting idea, and a nice little bit of wish listing, but unrealistic. the starter sets will always contain ultramarines, because they sell,they make all the little kiddies go oooh ahhh and thats why they buy. it'd be nice to have such a set as black reach for every army, but its financially unrealistic.

MOVIE:

there is one

iirc correctly, warhammer had their 25th anniversary last year or the year before that. there were certainly celebrations. i was told there was cake, but there was not some mega bombardment of major reforms in rules and a sudden massive release of minis for the 25th. I see no reason why 40k would get any more of a celebration then fantasy did. So go to your local gw, have some cake and be happy with it

Lord Wasa
03-02-2010, 08:15
You do realise there is a movie in the works right?

Personally I'd like to see a more organised codex (and FAQ) updating system, psychology either built out or gotten rid of (anything but the halfly done we have now), a redone website with a veteran section where they have old and experimental codecies for download and other stuff along that line. Oh, and no more streamlining, CUSTOMISABLE, DIFFERENT CODECIES FTW!

tu33y
03-02-2010, 09:01

Cheers

i would literally excrete blood from every orifice. ears, nose, mouth, eyes... the lot. it would be pouring out from me. bad bad idea.

however i agree with a fair amout of the other stuff you said:)

tezdal
03-02-2010, 09:06
2012, thats what, 2-3 more prices rises?

Crazy Ivan
03-02-2010, 09:08
Wait, so the Mayan Calendar was actually talking about... 40k?

Hot diggety!

:p

But some good points (everything in plastic would be very nice, and they're heading that way); the only thing I don't really like is your proposed exchange of Codexes for stat cards, I like the current system as it is. Differently coloured plastics I would be okay with, as long as they are still of the same quality as the current plastics... I'd just spray primer over them anyway. :)

azimaith
03-02-2010, 09:24
2012 is the tentative release year for the 40k MMO.

jsullivanlaw
03-02-2010, 19:52
2012 is the tentative release year for the 40k MMO.

Yeah. "Good evening young space marine, kill 20 orks and I will help you find your lost bolter." I'll pass.

azimaith
03-02-2010, 20:07
But then you'll never get to team up with the necron lord and the tyranid gaunt to go raid Ghazkhull's Warcamp for a new epic pauldron.

IcedAnimals
03-02-2010, 21:24
you dont play as marines in the mmo, you get to be guardsmen! its also suppose to be more of an action game than an RPG. And will be using things such as cover.

Eldoriath
03-02-2010, 21:40
GW getting their thumb out and do a proper LatD codex, it will make the trio of chaos complete and would allow me to maybe actually getting around and building my LatD army that I have planned for so long XD

Balragore
03-02-2010, 22:05
Yeah. "Good evening young space marine, kill 20 orks and I will help you find your lost bolter." I'll pass.

Can't stop laughing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHKIFDjk9I

^ THIS still gets my heart beating fast though.

Chem-Dog
04-02-2010, 05:34
Tokens for various damage effects: Kinda done already, you can buy a sprue of tokens on the GW website.

Movie: ultramarinesthemovie.com

Datafaxes instead of Codexes: Checked out Privateer Press' website recently? Each of the factions seem to be getting their own "forces" book
(yay Cryx). It might not be the most ideal way of supporting armies, but if you're expanding ranges, it's a necessity to collect them all together occasionally (and tweak them where needed) much better than collecting Every-single-supplement to keep track of individual units.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-02-2010, 07:49
It's more because they just moved to a second edition and it's much easier to update ever model/army in it's own book than republish all the previous expansions. The best thing about that is that it means that every model/army is instantly updated to the new edition. Yay! :)

I think that's what I'd like to see from GW. New rules would be neat, we all like new rules, but them publishing updated books for everything. Possibly combine them into larger lists say Imperial Space Marines, Imperial Forces (everything non Marine), Forces of Chaos (LaTD, Chaos Marines, Demons) etc.

Rioghan Murchadha
04-02-2010, 08:54
Datafaxes instead of Codexes: Checked out Privateer Press' website recently? Each of the factions seem to be getting their own "forces" book
(yay Cryx). It might not be the most ideal way of supporting armies, but if you're expanding ranges, it's a necessity to collect them all together occasionally (and tweak them where needed) much better than collecting Every-single-supplement to keep track of individual units.

Err, you do realize that they still supply the stat cards with every model right? Therefore you don't actually need to buy the additional books to keep track of every single unit.

Regardless of the fact that they're going to individual faction books, they still released updates to EVERYTHING for the launch of the new edition. None of this bullcrap waiting 10 years, and 3 editions for a new army book. Army books are only less than ideal if you can't get them out fast enough to keep all the armies current. (See Sisters of Battle 2nd ed, Wood elves in every edition of fantasy since 5th, etc.) They come out a couple months before the new edition, and some (Necrons, DE, DH, WH, SW etc.) Don't even GET a book in half the editions.

There is literally no defense for this outside rampant fanboyism. Most armies don't NEED a complete range overhaul with every new book. It shouldn't take a design team a year to write the ****-poorly tested and balanced books we're getting. Somehow, Privateer manages to maintain interest in their models by releasing the rules early, letting people proxy and test stuff, then trickling the models out every month to slightly whet the appetite of their consumers. GW's approach of "New army, blow your load now and then don't buy anything else til the next edition." works for some people, but their overall units sold has been in decline for years now.

But hey... apparently some people like to eat poop as long as there's enough gravy on it.