PDA

View Full Version : Alphascript: Vehicles of the Imperium

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 14:45
First: if "general" is not the right sub-forum please move

Okay, I was just tracking the new BL releases to put on my wishlist and I stumbled across this (definitely NOT a BL publication!):

Vehicles of the Imperium: Vehicles of the Space Marines, Vehicles of the Imperial Guard, Final Liberation, Sisters of Battle, Warhammer 40,000, ... Warrior, Space Marines (Warhammer 40,000) (Paperback) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicles-Imperium-Imperial-Liberation-Warhammer/dp/6130085974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265208059&sr=8-1)

So I have honestly no clue what this is (or is supposed to be, there's no useful information at all to be found).

Any of you an idea? Probably just someone trying to rip customers off, although I wonder how they managed to get Amazon to sell it then... And not even mentioning GW who would probably have their lawyers on that in 10 seconds :D

I also did a search on the publisher, but this even helps less:

Alphascript publishing publishes academic research worldwide - at no cost to our authors.

So what is it? A scientific treatise?

Bloodknight
03-02-2010, 14:52
Ok, these people publish a lot of weird stuff, and it says "high quality content by wikipedia articles".

Are they putting Wiki articles in book form?

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 15:02
Yes, I saw that sticker and wasn't terribly impressed ;) But just collating free content and selling it? That would be a new level of rip-off^^ And for 30€+ I would expect a bit more on that page count. Not that I am planning to spend money on that, enough official books to do that :D Just being curious.

Marshal Argos
03-02-2010, 16:20
Are they putting Wiki articles in book form?

Yup, apparently so. According to Wikipedia itself they are simply printing articles that can be found there. There's even the same spelling mistakes and layout as the Wikipedia articles themselves to include links and images...

From what I read, they apparently get away with it because of the "open and free" nature of Wikipedia, as long as the credit the sources they can print and sell it. I guess it's something referred to as Copyleft... I'm no Lawyer but google up the company name and there's tons of links about it.

This directly from their homepage really explains a lot... Press Comments (http://www.alphascript-publishing.com/index.php?&act=nav&nav=10048)

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 17:37
Indeed a very revealing press release, thanks for that. Can't believe they found someone to sell stuff like that^^