PDA

View Full Version : (SBG) evil fellowship?

Shadow-Under-Rock
03-02-2010, 22:06
I'm thinkig of starting with SBG, but I want to play a evil force and I don't want to have an army of grunts.
So my question is if it's possible to build an evil force out of heroes?
Was thinking either the different ringwraiths or the uruk-hai heroes of isengard.
could this work? Would it make a ok force?

The Marshel
04-02-2010, 02:23
if you can get the right mix of support going all heroes army can work incredibly well.

issue is though, most evil heroes are more about whacking the enemy then supporting the army. evil doesn't have access to stuff like renew. the all important spell casters of evil are generally gear more towards hero hunting and improving the moral of warriors. And of course, only the "good" saruman can use his standfast on heroes, evil saruman can't.

though i suppose with the plastic wraiths coming you could make a nice all fell beast army, it'd be pretty cool at the very least

Jobu
04-02-2010, 04:01
I would take Dol Gulder

necromancer
spiderqueen
Wild warg chieftan
That is 400 points right there.

ALLY Minus morgul:
khardush, gothmog and grishnak.
Then ally with the barad dur to get the mouth of sauron

boom 700 points

C-Coen
06-02-2010, 08:51
Some guys have taken an all Nazgul-on-Fellbeast army to various GT's and done fairly well with it, I think.
Not sure which ones, but it's just 4 Ringwraiths.

Whitwort Stormbringer
08-02-2010, 18:22
If you want a competitive force of all evil heroes, then personally I would stay away from Ringwraiths unless you intend to put them on fell beasts - they just can't weather a swarm of opponents very well. Go for characters with as high M/W/F as you can, so that they can hold their own against opposing heroes and swarms of warriors alike. I would also suggest taking mounted characters whenever possible, so that they hit hard and have the mobility to flee or reposition when you need them to.

If you want a more thematic army, then an all-wraiths force would be fitting since the fellowship originally contained 9 members to stand against the Nazgul. If you do all wraiths I would go for the named, specialized versions to add a little flavor to them.

On the other hand, you could take the other route and create a fellowship of evil heroes as representatives of every evil nation, just as the fellowship represented the various good nations (not all of them, but most).

If going that route, you could take:
Mordor - The Mouth of Sauron, Gothmog, Shagrat, Gorbag, or any of the wraiths
Harad - Suladan, The Betrayer
Rhun - Khamul, Amdur
Umbar - Dalamyr, Knight of Umbar
Isengard - Saruman, Wormtongue, Ugluk, Lurtz, Vrasku
Moria - Durburz

You could also include others like Shelob, the Spider Queen, and the Balrog, but they're not really directly allied to Morder & Co., so personally I would leave them out.

Vampiric16
08-02-2010, 20:04
Actually an evil fellowship wouldnt have representatives from each nation, since they would end up backstabbing and bickering.
9 wraiths is a good one for campaigns; you take part in several big events (weathertop, ferry, pelennor to name a few) and also in different forms (twighlight, horseback and fell beast respectively).

Whitwort Stormbringer
08-02-2010, 21:18
Actually an evil fellowship wouldnt have representatives from each nation, since they would end up backstabbing and bickering.
I think that's more a trait of the orcs, specifically, than of Sauron's forces in general. And when taking into account the more disciplined orc leaders (Gothmog, Shagrat, etc.) even that may not be an issue. The various evil human races seem to have allied before, though.

Shadow-Under-Rock
09-02-2010, 06:43
Thanks for the replys guys. Now I know it can be done.
representatives of every evil nation sound like a good idea, but I thought that you could only ally two different nations in a force?

Whitwort Stormbringer
09-02-2010, 16:27
representatives of every evil nation sound like a good idea, but I thought that you could only ally two different nations in a force?
Ah good point, I don't really know since I never really cared all that much for the stricter force organizations introduced in LotR, and never bothered with Legions of Middle Earth.

I don't ever get out to play "official" games or anything, so all my games are with buddies and our lists tend to be thematic or fun what-if? types of games.

C-Coen
09-02-2010, 17:35

You can ally as many forces together as you wish, as long as each and every individual list could ally with all the others. I think.

Phelix
23-02-2010, 00:27
Wasn't the fellowship chosen to have nine members to be a parallel to the Nazgul?

So the Nazgul would be an appropriate choice.

Shadow-Under-Rock
23-02-2010, 06:19
yeah, but I was thinking something like Saruman sending his best of the best instead of a light scoutforce to take care of the fellowship.

Whitwort Stormbringer
23-02-2010, 18:04
yeah, but I was thinking something like Saruman sending his best of the best instead of a light scoutforce to take care of the fellowship.

Looks like you'd have pretty slim pickins then. You could do:

Saruman (since it's a "what if?" scenario so why not?)
Ugluk
Lurtz
Vrasku
Thrydan Wolfsbane
Grishnakh (although actually an agent for Mordor, he was with Saruman's forces)
Uruk-hai captains & shamans
Orc captains & shamans
Dunlending captains
Maybe a goblin captain (in the books, some goblins from the north allied themselves with Saruman to seek vengeance after the battle in Balin's tomb).

You could also invent some characters if you wanted (assuming this is just a for-fun idea, not to be used in tournaments, etc.). There's a decent point value calculator online that will run the cost for you if you plug in the stats, equipment, and special abilities.

Shadow-Under-Rock
23-02-2010, 20:01
I think that the basis would be lurtz, 'cos he is my favorite character from the films. As for bulking out, was thinking of using heroes from other armies and saying that they were heroes in their own rights within sarumans forces, just lost in the meele att helms deep or flatened by an ent at an inopportune time. And thus not recorded in the annals of history.

Jobu
23-02-2010, 21:58
Another list

Minus Morgal
Kardush
Grishnak with shield
Gothmog with shield

Ally -Isen Raiders
Vrasku
Ugluk
Sharku with warg and shield
Lurtz

Ally Serpant Horde
Suladan with bow
Golden King

700 points

Gareth
23-02-2010, 22:32
I painted an evil fellowship. I just painted them in classic evil colours and painted little goatee beards on them.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Gareth_tyranids/LOTR/EvilFellowship.jpg

Shadow-Under-Rock
24-02-2010, 11:21
hehe, nice. Beardy hobbits (Y).
And can't realy comment on the list, don't have any of the rules books. But it looks nice.

Brother Loki
24-02-2010, 17:28
... painted little goatee beards on them.

Ahh, the Star Trek mirror universe approach to evil. ;)

Whitwort Stormbringer
25-02-2010, 23:06
I think that the basis would be lurtz, 'cos he is my favorite character from the films. As for bulking out, was thinking of using heroes from other armies and saying that they were heroes in their own rights within sarumans forces, just lost in the meele att helms deep or flatened by an ent at an inopportune time. And thus not recorded in the annals of history.

That's a good idea, too. You can always use the profiles as representative of other characters, even made up ones. You could even do conversions based on the original character's model, to reinforce the connection between character and profile.

I painted an evil fellowship. I just painted them in classic evil colours and painted little goatee beards on them.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Gareth_tyranids/LOTR/EvilFellowship.jpg

A-hahahaha! Nice! Love the hobbits, especially.